• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

DeadNames

Banned
Let's think about this rationally: 343 wouldn't be stupid enough to leave flag dropping out. I'm sure it's optional in Customs. If we complain hard enough come launch, we will still be able to drop the flag.

I hope.

The only time I dropped a flag in Halo was so I could pick it up again.... literally not even a second later. Giving flag carriers faster movement and a waypoint is better than "FLAG DROPPED" "FLAG STOLEN" plus the flag's waypoint popping on and off the HUD.

The only thing it does away with is the style of play where you hold the flag and run very slowly around the map. Was that common in MLG? Honest question.

http://www.sciencesortof.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/103_salt.jpg

The saltiness is building.

Im not salty, I am very proud of 343, so far they have been very consistent with the decisions they have been making.

Consistently crappy.

The only time I dropped a flag in Halo was so I could pick it up again.... literally not even a second later. Giving flag carriers faster movement and a waypoint is better than "FLAG DROPPED" "FLAG STOLEN" plus the flag's waypoint popping on and off the HUD.

The only thing it does away with is the style of play where you hold the flag and run very slowly around the map. Was that common in MLG? Honest question.

You have never dropped the flag to fight someone standing in your way of the flag cap?

I think CTF plays best with the Halo 2 style flag juggling and return system. No bones about it. I think the flag mechanic is MORE broken if you can wield a pistol with unlimited ammo and drop/juggle it though.
I prefer the CE style of touch returns and no reduced movement speed personally. Only reason flag juggling exists in the first place is to circumvent that (unnecessary imo) speed reduction.

So, I do have to ask, why do the screenshots looks so rough? Like the map looks beatifal, but its textures seem to be really low res, and the draw distance looks funny in the shots.. The footage looks great though.

I still don't like the new medals. The lack of color variation makes them all feel samey. None feel cool and exceptional. Same thing with the constant announcer call outs. Steitzer might as well be congratulating us for walking. 30 steps = STEPSTRAVAGANZA.

Is it me or are the medals not as cool looking as the "UNSC weapons vid".. I swear they had more pop there.

• Boltshot confirmed as secondary loadout weapon
  • Camo AA looks like Reach's, not much change
  • Looks like individual armor pieces have different skins too
  • Pulse grenade is the orange glowing ball (It disabled a ghost so prolly EMP)
  • Promethean Vision has the same effect, much shorter duration and much longer recharge

via: https://twitter.com/TimeGlitch

Cool stuff, thanks.

I got pics of a ton of halo 4 including the new friends menu... Coming later on here.

Can't wait!

"YOU CANNOT DROP THE FLAG"

Autosentry is a stationary bot that shoots at enemies, fairly powerful. Vulnerable while deploying. Lasts about 30 sec, easily destroyed. - TimeGlitch

Hm, I wanna see that in action.

Havok

Hills allow players on foot to traverse the map in a safe way if they use the landscape and layout well.
Yeah, but it seems like they've done a good job of creating a fun experience for both infantry and vehicles with the inner/outer caves and spaces below the bridges giving safe foot routes with the vehicle tracks staying fairly level. It's the same map design philosophy that made Containment so good for both styles of play. I'll take map clutter over Warthogs doing barrel rolls across the map on Standoff or Hemorrhage any day. Hopefully the H4 Hog is very bottom heavy like early Warthogs were so that they don't tip so easily.

u4iX

The biggest thing this when both flags are out and you're in that "stand off" scenario.

That's why I'm worried about the waypoints.

the shallow allegiance to a forum title is baffling.

I'm seen as defending some Juniors sometimes so I'm not part of that "shallow allegiance" you speak of, but not only was Shake Appeal's comment funny.. the point was true.

Use that excuse more wisely :]

iblT8GR6FJKu9h.gif

lmfao nice

JHall

It happened on occasion. It really depended on the map you where playing on at the time, if your team was alive or not, and where the enemy team is on the map.

You have never dropped the flag to fight someone standing in your way of the flag cap?

Whats in my other hand now? A pistol to fight someone standing in my way.

(For the record, I always lost because they always got a shot or two into me before I could see them and retaliate.)

The biggest thing this when both flags are out and you're in that "stand off" scenario.

That's why I'm worried about the waypoints.

Yeah that's definitely a good point.

Can't wait to hear how 343 spins it.

Whats in my other hand now? A pistol to fight someone standing in my way.

(For the record, I always lost because they always got a shot or two into me before I could see them and retaliate.)

There was nothing better than dropping the flag, taking out a guy, then picking it back up and capping it when none of your team could help you.

Pistol in Halo 4 looks awful, if it looked good I would be fine with it.

There was nothing better than dropping the flag, taking out a guy, then picking it back up and capping it when none of your team could help you.

Pistol in Halo 4 looks awful, if it looked good I would be fine with it.

If the pistol plays fine, regardless of how it looks, I'll be fine with it.

Vire

Agreed, one of the most satisfying things to do in CTF.

I'm kinda dumbfounded by the decision to be honest. I just can't come up in my mind a good reason why.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
I dont care about the look or the bloom, as long as it hits like the CE pistol. If it doesn't you have zero chance agains a BR or DMR outside of an extremely close range.

Might as well just stand still while they gun you down from a far.

There will now be designated flag carriers on teams. Guys who specialize in flag routes, pistol shooting, map awareness and map movement. I guess in that sense, it's pretty cool.

So you are saying there is a chance I can go pro as a flag runner???? I mean... we would lose every Team Slayer game... but I'd run that flag like a champ!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
There will now be designated flag carriers on teams. Guys who specialize in flag routes, pistol shooting, map awareness and map movement. I guess in that sense, it's pretty cool.

PNut

Banned
Agreed, one of the most satisfying things to do in CTF.

I'm kinda dumbfounded by the decision to be honest. I just can't come up in my mind a good reason why.

It's not fun for the kiddies if they're not shooting something all the time.

u4iX

If things pan out like that, yeah.

Unlimited sprint mod, shield recharge mod, Camo AA for getting to the flag.

notbad.jpg

Hey this is offtopic but does anyone know the easiest way to burn an .avi file I have to a DVD so it can be played in a DVD player?

I haven't done it in forever and can't really remember how.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also: That cannot drop flag thing will be changed, right?

Yeah, I got that impression too. Maybe Pathfinder will let them run faster with the flag?

I think the shift is that the flag carrier shouldn't be a one man army. If you have Rockets, your job should be to cover the flag carrier.

Then again, where is the Ordnance this time around? If they are showcasing this radical change, perhaps we can revert back to a more 'classic' mode.

Tashi

I wonder what perks there are to specifically benefit flag running.

If things pan out like that, yeah.

Unlimited sprint mod, shield recharge mod, Camo AA for getting to the flag.

notbad.jpg

Yea man, potentially wild stuff. Deep.

However, flag juggling will always have a place in my heart. Not much as satisfying as hitting all the jumps and running a flag perfectly across a map.

Speaking of camo, any solid details on it? I saw that guy tweeted it's similar to Reach but there's gotta be some differences.

Portugeezer

On a side note I like that 343 likes CTF so much, DOES THIS MEAN I CAN PICK MY FUCKING GAMETYPE?

BELIEVE!!!!

For everything else looking so immaculately detailed, the ground sure looks like ass:
5gPWy.jpg

Looks very odd. Hoping this will be fixed before launch.

7 year old console, even older hardware.

Shiiiit, Uncharted on PS3 is considered one of the best looking games and the AF is also shit on that, when all you can do is look at a video and not play it I guess these things stand out more.

"YOU CANNOT DROP THE FLAG"

ch-ch-ch-chaaa-nges.

it'll be interesting to hear what 343's thought process behind this was. i'm not really sure what i think of it without playing a lot games. this seems like something that could work awesome competitively and horrible in matchmaking or vice-versa. i'm stumped.

the shallow allegiance to a forum title is baffling.

patience. your day will come.

02-06-2009 - 08-31-2012. 300 posts. the river moves slowly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think it takes a good 5 seconds for shields to recharge. I think that's Halo CE level. Faster then Reach, at least.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Looks great.

I gotta admit, it'll be fun to play around with new strategies. I'm just going to miss the old strategies.

Tashi

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Looks great.

I gotta admit, it'll be fun to play around with new strategies. I'm just going to miss the old strategies.

Exactly. But flag juggling man. FLAG JUGGLING!

Someone make a Flag Juggling RIP sign. Make it a picture of a guy jumping from plat to green on the pit :(

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Bro, if this was Halo 4 you would have just robbed yourself of a Flag Joust medal and who knows precious cyber-points that would have gone toward your next totally-not-skill-based e-level. Never gonna unlock wallhack vision at this rate.

Ha ha ha so true, its funny but sad at the same time.

The funny thing is if it wasnt for the stupid not being able to drop the flag thing... im sure it would be the stupid "you are holding the flag moron" text that would be getting hate.

This marketing is so good.

BigShow36

No, there wont. There will be good players and bad players, like there have always been.

Tawpgun

It's not so much I'm against it from a purist standpoint...

It's just that its dumb as fuck that once I pick up the flag I can't even fucking drop it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Why not just keep flag-carrier movement the same to nullify flag juggling, instead of implementing another draconian roundabout fix to the problems of casuals. =/

Top Bottom