• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Noricart

Soo... how about that secondary weapon indicator? Not that it bothers me that much. (Compared to the text pop up. Just something that doesn't bother you until you focus on it,then it gets irritating.)

The funny thing is if it wasnt for the stupid not being able to drop the flag thing... im sure it would be the stupid "you are holding the flag moron" text that would be getting hate.
Okay, it seems stupid, but what if you were quietly reading a book while your friend was playing Halo 4, and then immediately after picking up the flag he had you take over for him because he needed to go to the bathroom, so you didn't ever actually see him pick the flag up, and also you've never played a Halo game before, so you don't recognize the pole you are holding in your hands, in which case how would you know without that crucial UI prompt?!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
More kid friendly.

Like another game we all know...
Nintendogs?

Okay, it seems stupid, but what if you were quietly reading a book while your friend was playing Halo 4, and then immediately after picking up the flag he had you take over for him because he needed to go to the bathroom, so you didn't ever actually see him pick the flag up, and also you've never played a Halo game before, so you don't recognize the pole you are holding in your hands, in which case how would you know without that crucial UI prompt?!
My ass, it has been laughed off.

Vire

The thing about these changes to CTF is that they make the player NOT want to pick up the flag.

Why would I want to pick something up that confines me to a single shitty offhand weapon, I can't drop it and I have a moving target over my head at all times?

Bungie already struggled to get people to actually play the objective, this is only going to make it worse.

Conor 419

Banned
So far, not being able to drop the flag looks like an alright decision, it definitely brings a larger teamwork aspect into it. It's a shame however that getting good teams is not an easy thing to do these days...

It's not so much I'm against it from a purist standpoint...

It's just that its dumb as fuck that once I pick up the flag I can't even fucking drop it.

Has this even been confirmed or am I the only one still holding out on whether he tried pressing the Y button.. I mean the dude never even used his Armor Ability or anything else..

I just don't...understand the change

How does this improve Halo

In reality, how often does a good flag run entail dropping the flag? (besides dribbling).
The only real difference I see is instead of slaying kids on spawn, you might want to have 1 guy pull back a bit to defend the flag runner.

senador

Banned
Is it possible that not being able to drop the flag is a glitch in this build? I guess not based on what Frank said about the pace. Seems that'd slow down the pace, was that their intention? I've played plenty of low or no-scoring flag games so that'd be a weird intention.

The only time I dropped a flag in Halo was so I could pick it up again.... literally not even a second later. Giving flag carriers faster movement and a waypoint is better than "FLAG DROPPED" "FLAG STOLEN" plus the flag's waypoint popping on and off the HUD.

The only thing it does away with is the style of play where you hold the flag and run very slowly around the map. Was that common in MLG? Honest question.

The only time you've ever dropped the flag was when flag running? Seriously? I drop the shit out of that flag if I run into someone so I can shoot them with a gun that doesn't suck. You think giving me a crappy 6sk blooming pistol with an 8 shot clip is going to make me not want the drop the flag? Fuck that, I'd rather use the DMR/BR/Carbine/Light Rifle/grenades/rockets/shotgun or basically anything else that has a chance of protecting me so I can continue the run. Drop the flag, kill a dude, pick it up and keep going. But no 343, you're right, give me a shitty pistol in one hand and I'm good to go.

I can't imagine someone justifying not being able to drop the flag, and I can't wait until 343 tries during the panel tomorrow.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Has this even been confirmed or am I the only one still holding out on whether he tried pressing the Y button.. I mean the dude never even used his Armor Ability or anything else..

I think Bravo played it at 343, discovered the non flag dropping mechanic. Then he came to PAX, forgot about it, grabbed the flag and then remembered he couldn't drop it.

I wouldn't get too worked up about this newer mode. Just like Infinity Slayer, it looks they're taking liberty in order to craft something new and genuinely different from traditional Halo gametypes. Classic Slayer and CTF will still be playable, and are likely to have some representation in matchmaking.

DeadNames

Banned
I wouldn't get too worked up about this newer mode. Just like Infinity Slayer, it looks they're taking liberty in order to craft something new and genuinely different from traditional Halo gametypes. Classic Slayer and CTF will still be playable, and are likely to have some representation in matchmaking.

THANK YOU!

Finally someone else is being calm and rational about this.

Still waiting on more offscreen footage...

Havok

In reality, how often does a good flag run entail dropping the flag? (besides dribbling).
The only real difference I see is instead of slaying kids on spawn, you might want to have 1 guy pull back a bit to defend the flag runner.
It becomes more of an issue when you're stuck with a giant "HEY KILL ME PLEASE" indicator at all times that you presumably can't remove.

Has it even been confirmed you can't drop it? That 'Bravo is pressing RT and so shooting his gun' explanation seemed pretty plausible to me. Maybe the super-secret flag drop button is, like, X, or something.
I'm very curious as to what happens when you press Y to switch weapons while you have the flag. In lieu of the standard RT, that would be my next guess. Or maybe LT to maintain the 'left hand/right hand' standard Bungie used with dual wielded weapons.

I think I'd prefer they just made one game called Halo 4, and if any third parties (i.e., MLG) want to take it on and warp it to a different vision, they can. Give us the option to change things in customs and offline, but if you believe in your choices, don't dilute and confuse them across a billion playlists.

I would appreciate a 'SUPERHELPFUL UI OFF' playlist, though.

senador

Banned
I think I'd prefer they just made one game called Halo 4, and if any third parties (i.e., MLG) want to take it on and warp it to a different vision, they can. Give us the option to change things in customs and offline, but if you believe in your choices, don't dilute and confuse them across a billion playlists.

I would appreciate a 'SUPERHELPFUL UI OFF' playlist, though.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the divide that is created from having different gametype versions.

On a side note I like that 343 likes CTF so much, DOES THIS MEAN I CAN PICK MY FUCKING GAMETYPE?

BELIEVE!!!!

7 year old console, even older hardware.

Shiiiit, Uncharted on PS3 is considered one of the best looking games and the AF is also shit on that, when all you can do is look at a video and not play it I guess these things stand out more.

Also some people are not understanding....

It's not the actual grass and foliage that looks suspect. That looks FANTASTIC when you look at it. It's the best I've seen for any Halo game and much better than some other console games.

It is the GROUND that looks a bit strange in SOME areas. But guess what? I admit to making snap knee jerk reactions but after looking at some video again and also again at the same pics I realized that this game still looks freaking great. The lighting, the shadows, the color, art, the detail on the guns and spartans, etc.. still makes it one of the best looking console games.

And you make a good point about the shitty textures and anisotropic filtering in uc3. So to me you can still make an argument about the visuals being top dog on consoles. Also this is multiplayer footage and it still looks great!!

Considering the scale and the visuals 343 pumped out it's a technical monster.

Havok

When you're dribbling they know where you're going as well though.
Yeah, but you're actively choosing to take that risk. Personally, I choose not to give my position away because sneaking it was always effective for me in Halo 2's 1 Flag matches and the habit's carried over. I take the safer route that takes longer, while others might die while getting there more quickly. Now you have no choice in the matter -- you're a target no matter what, no matter where you choose to take it.

I suspect that they want to get rid of flag juggling. But wouldn't giving flag carriers full movement speed achieve the same thing without marking the carrier for death in the process?

Agreed. I am not a fan of the divide that is created from having different gametype versions.

HaloGAF will be divided into groups who play weird-ass CoD-influenced changes for change sake Infinity stuff and the the groups who play something resembling classic Halo.

Redford

aka Cabbie
The only time you've ever dropped the flag was when flag running? Seriously? I drop the shit out of that flag if I run into someone so I can shoot them with a gun that doesn't suck. You think giving me a crappy 6sk blooming pistol with an 8 shot clip is going to make me not want the drop the flag? Fuck that, I'd rather use the DMR/BR/Carbine/Light Rifle/grenades/rockets/shotgun or basically anything else that has a chance of protecting me so I can continue the run. Drop the flag, kill a dude, pick it up and keep going. But no 343, you're right, give me a shitty pistol in one hand and I'm good to go.

I can't imagine someone justifying not being able to drop the flag, and I can't wait until 343 tries during the panel tomorrow.

Speaking of which, would it be too much to ask for a 10 or 12 round mag for the pistol? I don't see why it has to be so forcefully relegated to it's sidearm role..

Yeah, but you're actively choosing to take that risk. Personally, I choose not to give my position away because it was what was always effective in Halo 2's 1 Flag matches. I take the safer route that takes longer, while others might die while getting there more quickly. Now you have no choice in the matter.

+1, this more than anything is the change I'm not so sure about.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing from the Bravo vid: plasma grenades seemed to pass right through the ghost and the banshee. And it almost seems like their trajectory is a little bit different when thrown. It looks like they arch downward more to me.

Thanks man worked, well.

I guess this is the next step towards what Reach tried to do with the whole delay of picking up flag after tossing it. They really are trying to get rid of the whole flag dropped flag stolen thing...

1. Its a change, that I feel isn't going to improve Halo at all, so its a waste of time.
2. Further and further away from the past Halo's.
3. Removes some skill from the players who are good flag jugglers, diminishing the line between pro and casual one more notch.

Hopefully the options will be there so we can change this stuff.

Talents

Banned
What's everyone complaining about? I'm on my Ipod so can't really look through the other pages without it taking years. What did they add/remove now?

CyReN

3FRWM.png

What's everyone complaining about? I'm on my Ipod so can't really look through the other pages without it taking years? What did they add/remove now?

Other pages? Why not read this one?

The PAX build contains CTF where flag carriers are faster, essentially dual wield a pistol/flag, have a waypoint over their heads and can't drop the flag.

Redford

aka Cabbie
You can unlock the 12 round mag (and a nifty skin!) at SR-15 with the Pack Rat Tactical Package.

That is undoubtably superior to Incognito, will use thanks.

Another thing from the Bravo vid: plasma grenades seemed to pass right through the ghost and the banshee. And it almost seems like their trajectory is a little bit different when thrown. It looks like they arch downward more to me.

I saw that too. I'll just grab a Spartan laser then.

nillapuddin

So the PAX video shows alot of Armor Mods, really threw a monkey wrench into my guess lists

Tactical Package: 10
  • None
  • Mobility: Unlimited Sprint
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • Resupply: Pick up grenades from fallen Spartans
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
  • Grenadier: Increases grenade carrying capacity
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Fast Track: Increased XP bonus*
  • Requisition: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop*
  • Wheelman: Lessened EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff*
  • Didnt see a 10th
Support Upgrade: 12
  • None
  • Ammo: Hold more Ammo
  • Dexterity: Faster reloads and weapon swaps
  • Sensor: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped
  • Explosives: alter grenade performance blahsdfhlksdufglkh
  • Ordnance Priority: More frequent ordnance drops
  • Stability: Lessened knock out of scope*
  • Gunner: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret*
  • Drop Recon: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops*
  • Nemesis: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you*
  • Stealth: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassinations, dampened
    footsteps*

* Unlocked via Specializations
Blod = new
Underlined = Unlisted

Portugeezer

Also some people are not understanding....

It's not the actual grass and foliage that looks suspect. That looks FANTASTIC when you look at it. It's the best I've seen for any Halo game and much better than some other console games.

It is the GROUND that looks a bit strange in SOME areas. But guess what? I admit to making snap knee jerk reactions but after looking at some video again and also again at the same pics I realized that this game still looks freaking great. The lighting, the shadows, the color, art, the detail on the guns and spartans, etc.. still makes it one of the best looking console games.

And you make a good point about the shitty textures and anisotropic filtering in uc3. So to me you can still make an argument about the visuals being top dog on consoles. Also this is multiplayer footage and it still looks great!!

Considering the scale and the visuals 343 pumped out it's a technical monster.

I already thought Halo Reach was rather impressive, it just wasn't very consistent, some parts looked amazing other parts were "eww".

Halo 4 looks even better and seems to be a lot more consistent visually from what we have seen.

senador

Banned
I think CTF will still be playable and fun, but it removes a lot from the flag carriers experience. You'll feel vulnerable and frustrated, maybe even claustrophobic. It'll make the experience less varied and flat. Doesn't seem right.

To be fair, the first time is pretty weird and he wasn't going to have it anyway. :p

recorded our CTF match in Exile. Had lavalier mics in my headset to record audio. 20 minutes, will upload as soon as I can borrow a laptop.

bsangel came over and teased me when I spent the first 5 minutes just going through the loadout options.

The PAX build contains CTF where flag carriers are faster

You reminded me of something I meant to bring up before:

Why are people bitching about this? How does making you walk slower make any more sense or was any more fun?? That was the biggest damn annoyance for CTF in my book ;\

83375_o.gif

Top Bottom