• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

nillapuddin

The narrator for that video was funny for about 30 seconds, and then he got very, very annoying. You can't hear anything but him.

I understand, but Im giving him a break, if I was playing Halo 4 tonight, Id be losing my shit also

Good video, looking forward to more. gotta see Regen, Light Rifle and Sentry in Action.

Anyone notice that there's no radar jammer when he goes invis?

yes there is... damnit.
dont start shit like this

Obviously I'm in the minority but the more I see of this game the more I want to play it. It's a totally different beast from Halo 2/3 but unlike Reach it has the core mechanics buried underneath which should make it a much better game IMO.

Arnie

Seemed like the UI was final, regardless of a local or internet connection, and there didn't seem a space for an overt visual system.

I just would've imagined we'd see something around the service record type space if there was a visual system. Could well be wrong, but my optimism for anything of the sort is at an all time low.
The narrator for that video was funny for about 30 seconds, and then he got very, very annoying. You can't hear anything but him.
RUH ROH

In fairness I thought he sounded like an utter tool, but I'll take that if the player is actually decent, rather than a video of some mute playing it with his feet.

That's funny, because just a few clips after the one you showed is a new technique that I have never seen,
which makes the grenade launcher even more awesome than it already was (The best gun in it's class).

iLYSOb6yr7tgZ.gif

JEEESSUSSS!

You don't even have to shoot the enemy with your nades,
you just immediately become a baller by holding that shit.

*sigh* Maybe you'll be able to do cool things with the sticky launcher?

Halo reach's visual are underrated, that game still looks amazing, even with halo 4 coming out.

Halo_PC1.jpg

Best fuel rod out of any Halo game, hands down. Fun to use. Powerful, but not OP. You could pull off some amazing shots with that gun. Soooo gooood.

kylej

Banned
How did nobody at 343 - in the entire time of Halo 4's development - realize that replicating Reach's banshee was a bad idea.

nillapuddin

Boltshot: Forerunner particle dilator used for both its precision at mid-range and its burst functionality when up close

p.s.
Explosives armor mod, same definition as what I came up with from shaky cam earlier.

I stand by my previous statements, buff radius, subtract damage
crosses fingers

So it's a sidearm version of the Halo 2 E3 demo BR?

nah man, thats the sidearm

The Light Rifle IS the H2 E3 BR LOL BBQ

How did nobody at 343, in the entire time of Halo 4's development, not realize that replicating Reach's banshee was a bad idea.

in before FyreWulff mentions how the Reach TU did nothing to fix/change the Banshee and that lack of understanding carried over to 4

To be fair, the boost speed of the Banshee did look a lot slower, same with the flipping speed.
Plus in Reach, isn't the Banshee invulnerable while doing flips n shit?
I'm on a boat muthafucka
It probably won't be like that in Halo 4...

Plus people can spawn with long range precision weapons/plasma pistols to take them out, even at spawn.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
How did nobody at 343, in the entire time of Halo 4's development, not realize that replicating Reach's banshee was a bad idea.

It's not the Reach banshee.

The flip is slower.
The roll is slower.
The boost appears to take a little longer to get to full speed.
It doesn't seem to have as much vertical aim, ie aiming straight down, as the Reach banshee.

Hopefully they'll have decreased the fuel rod spread.

I wish they had interlinked the dodging moves and boost, but whatever. Changes seem for the better so far.

I don't know why the Banshee is on that map though, it's far too small for it.

Havok

To be fair, the boost speed of the Banshee did look a lot slower, same with the flipping speed.
Plus in Reach, isn't the Banshee invulnerable while doing flips n shit?
I'm on a boat muthafucka
It probably won't be like that in Halo 4...
No, it's not invincible, just hard to target, and the flips remove any projectile locks, making rockets and the plasma launcher useless.

The gamebreaker is the fuel rod. That thing can flip all day as far as I'm concerned if it's just a harassment vehicle with the normal plasma cannons. Hated the Banshee bomb in both 3 and Reach, but the prominence of the Banshee in Reach BTB killed it. It was better in 2 if only because it couldn't murder someone in the blink of an eye. Came with its own suite of problems, but not that particular one.

blamite

Did I see naked eli pull out a pistol which he didn't equip when he picked up the flag? I dont remember...

Yeah In that video and the Bravo one from earlier today we saw that you magically get a pistol with the flag, even if you didn't have one before.

Also I gotta say not being able to drop the flag is the stupidest thing in the world, ever, of all time. Although the build still isn't final (medals don't show up during the game) so maybe I can delude myself by holding out hope that flag dropping will still be added.

No, it's not invincible, just hard to target, and the flips remove any projectile locks, making rockets and the plasma launcher useless.

The gamebreaker is the fuel rod. That thing can flip all day as far as I'm concerned if it's just a harassment vehicle with the normal plasma cannons. Hated the Banshee bomb in both 3 and Reach, but the prominence of the Banshee in Reach BTB killed it. It was better in 2 if only because it couldn't murder someone in the blink of an eye. Came with its own suite of problems, but not that particular one.

Ah yes. It seems pretty obvious that the balance for the fuel rod would be a long recharge time.
Would make people more conservative with their fuel rod shots and force them to use the plasma guns.

Noricart

SR-5, SR-6, that seems pretty visual ranks to me
It'd be nice if it was a ranking system where wins = exp = rank up, with a soft wall at SR-20, where you slowly become more liable to win games in order to advance and losing games gives you a penalty and slowly becomes more exponential where at the end game a loss is about .75 to 1.5 of a win.
Edit - SR-N are the ranks used to denote level of persistent progression? wtf? why not just use military ranks and keep SR competitve.

mhi

lol @ the GENERIC KILL Medal.

Dvanced Market researchers were definately heavily involved with the design of this game.

G17

Nak3dEli <3 Fantastic video.. after the underwhelming video earlier today this video hyped me up again. His commentary wasn't annoying, it only hyped me more. I appreciated that he showed us every new thing he possibly could, the Beam Rifle, and had fun while doing it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Whole meta-game looks more obnoxious every few hours.

It'd be nice if it was a ranking system where wins = exp = rank up, with a soft wall at SR-20, where you slowly become more liable to win games in order to advance and losing games gives you a penalty and slowly becomes more exponential where at the end game a loss is about .75 to 1.5 of a win.

It would be nice.

But I think we know their philosophy precludes systems that track anything to do with winning.

wwm0nkey

lol @ the GENERIC KILL Medal.

While it may seem stupid for you, seeing stuff like this can excite a player (most they CoD crowd) and can make them want to keep on playing. Also for objectives if they get a huge bonus (in CTF its 100 for a capture) it makes players want to go for it more.

Nak3dEli <3 Fantastic video.. after the underwhelming video earlier today this video hyped me up again. His commentary wasn't annoying, it only hyped me more. I appreciated that he showed us every new thing he possibly could, the Beam Rifle, and had fun while doing it.

Yeah it was nice to hear some enthusiasm after all the posts here today lol. Dude wasn't being a douche, he was just excited, don't know why he was getting all the hate.

Havok

Ah yes. It seems pretty obvious that the balance for the fuel rod would be a long recharge time.
Would make people more conservative with their fuel rod shots and force them to use the plasma guns.
That's kinda what I assumed they'd do if they brought the FRG back, but it doesn't seem to have a very long recharge. Honestly, I think the maneuverability of the vehicle makes the fast, easy FRG kill a big issue regardless of how they tweak the recharge. The plasma cannons force the Banshee to slow down and behave very predictably, even for just a second, so it can get a bead on a target and take it down. There's no reason to stop flipping with a fire-and-forget explosive. The two elements just don't seem compatible, in my eyes at least.

New warthogs have those tanks of H2O on the back. Maybe water is combustible now?
The far-flung future seems like a really crappy place to live...
Yeah it was nice to hear some enthusiasm after all the posts here today lol. Dude wasn't being a douche, he was just excited, don't know why he was getting all the hate.
As far as I'm concerned he can shout whatever he wants, he's the only one that has actually taken the time to show us something that isn't a BR and PV.

blamite

Yes, same here, I realize my last post was really negative, but I still have to say I'm really really liking the look of the game overall. It's just that there have been a lot of insane decisions dropped on us all at once so it gets hard to focus on the good stuff.

I'm really glad to see the Beam Rifle back, Exile looks Great, I'm glad we're finally finding about all the weapons and perks and abilities. I just hate that this is how we have to learn about them. Even a tiny bit of explanation, or introduction, or context from 343 regarding all the new additions and changes would make a world of difference. I realize the Halo 4 panel isn;t until tomorrow, but but would it really hurt to just explain anything about what's going on with the game? If you don't do that right away, all you end up with is the mess of kneejerk reactions based on partial information that we've seen here today.

I recall Bungie usually doing a good job of explaining what things were, how they worked, and why before giving them to people to play, it's just to bad 343 can't do the same. I understand there are resource and schedule limitations, but 343 really needs to put something out there ahead of time so they can control the massage, rather than letting everything be judged out of context based on off-screen potato-cam footage on message boards.

mhi

Some of the best ones:

KILL: A Generic Kill
GRENADE KILL: Kill an opponent with a grenade explosion
FLAG DEFENSE; Kill an opponent that is CLOSE to your flag
FLAG ASSIST: Help a team mate capture a flag (What's considered help ?)
FLAG DRIVER: Drive a flag carrier CLOSE to your capture point

Thankfully it looks like the actual medal graphic doesn't show up on the hud midgame.

Bsigg12

Some of the best ones:

KILL: A Generic Kill
GRENADE KILL: Kill an opponent with a grenade explosion
FLAG DEFENSE; Kill an opponent that is CLOSE to your flag
FLAG ASSIST: Help a team mate capture a flag (What's considered help ?)
FLAG DRIVER: Drive a flag carrier CLOSE to your capture point

Thankfully it looks like the actual medal graphic doesn't show up on the hud midgame.

Maybe in this build medals aren't showing up but in the video 343 released today, they are. The 2nd Flagsassination in the video resulted in 4 medals popping up on the left side of the screen above the radar.

u4iX

Maybe in this build medals aren't showing up but in the video 343 released today, they are. The 2nd Flagsassination in the video resulted in 4 medals popping up on the left side of the screen above the radar.

He earned every damn one of those medals.

The Concussion Rifle is good if you're good. It's very much a "denial" like weapon, but again, 2 shots to the body and the player is dead... Not entirely sure how that's weak.
I don't know if this has been clarified in the last two hours, but there is no way that is true. Concussion riffle is 3sk to body, minimum. You'll only kill someone with 2 shots if you land a melee or something.

Medals: Melee kill, kill with flag, flagsassination, assassination.
"FLAGSASSINATION!"
FLAGSASSINATION +15

Top Bottom