• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Ramirez

I have some questions:

1) Fall damage/stun, in or out?
2) Bleed through, anyone know how it works?
3) Notice less grenade spam since you need a perk to pick them up from dead people?
4) How many shots does it take to kill with a Carbine, I'm assuming 5 like the others? Does it have any type of bloom/spread/randomness to it?
5) Are the EMP grenades selectable, or just a pick up?
6) In CTF do weapons randomly drop, or are there preset locations?

FyreWulff

Just checked my pm. Yes, I'll be around PAX all day tomorrow and Sunday.

Okay. I'll be helping run Halo Freeplay from 10am to 1pm Saturday, but I'm free after that to find you.

Also who thought it would be a good idea to hold a raffle on a booth next to main doors? PAX East seems so much better planned than PAX Prime these days.

Just checked my pm. Yes, I'll be around PAX all day tomorrow and Sunday.
Are you going to be at the HaloGAF breakfast?

I have some questions:

3) Notice less grenade spam since you need a perk to pick them up from dead people?
4) How many shots does it take to kill with a Carbine, I'm assuming 5 like the others? Does it have any type of bloom/spread/randomness to it?
5) They are but you'll only spawn with only one instead two.
6) Preset locations.

Slaker117

Do corpses react to melees or not.

No idea. In fact, thinking about it now, I'm not sure if I successfully melee'd anything. My games where all on Exile, and being a larger map, it was a very gun heavy experience.

I have some questions:

1) Not sure. Don't remember taking any large falls.
2) Nope.
3) Yeah, less spam, and grenades in general seem less powerful. The indicator also helps you avoid them.
4) Pretty sure it's more than 5, not sure how many though. It shoots pretty fast and I had trouble getting kills with it against people using the BR. I want to say it blooms a bit, but I don't actually remember.
5) Selectable.
6) Preset locations.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I bugs me that Eli guy did not use the Boltshot. I want to see that thing in action very badly. Sounds like a beautiful PP/Mauler hybrid. Still a great video though. Not gonna lie, I got a bit antsy towards the end.

Ramirez

Carnàge Carnivàle

Good way of showing your work off.

The part about plate spinning always reminds me of that Ricky Gervais bit,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOmqNKAuYdM&t=1m50s

Completely irrelevant to Halo, but lol.

Flat, I still don't understand how it works. Are there multiple preset locations where a certain weapon can spawn, and the system just picks one random spot/weapon to put down at a time or what? I feel so clueless & casual with this game.

Gazzawa

The eli vid was great. It's great that it's not a 1 gun game. The map looked pretty good too. The timer on the Flag was a nice touch. The indicator for nades and weapons is a good addition as I'm always screwed when it's a new map

Crazy day.

Lots of thoughts. Good ones, some concerns, some answers, some more questions.

I think I'll just do one write-up after my PAX experience is complete.

GhaleonEB

Short version.

Does Halo 4 feel like Halo?

No, not really. It's doing its own thing in enough ways - in the audio design, in the way weight and speed and mass and power are conveyed - that the feel is quite unique in the series.

But that's not really the right question. The right question is whether it plays like Halo. And the answer there is for the most part, yes.

Some of the qualifications are important, but that's for another time when it's not so late and I'm not so wiped out, and I can paint a fuller picture.

heckfu

Banned
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I've been MIA today! The interwebs have been so clogged here that no draino can fix.

I'll be working on a write up tomorrow that I'll have posted hopefully early in the evening.

I'll make it short and sweet though...game is absolute fire. All of Team Downer present at the show also agree...it's different, but in an absolutely mind-blowing and stunning way.

nillapuddin

Zoso Achilles having Mic problems

emblem.ashx

gg everyone else, it sucks that 3 got to that unplayable point it always does, but fun times before and after that

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I've been MIA today! The interwebs have been so clogged here that no draino can fix.

I'll be working on a write up tomorrow that I'll have posted hopefully early in the evening.

I'll make it short and sweet though...game is absolute fire. All of Team Downer present at the show also agree...it's different, but in an absolutely mind-blowing and stunning way.
Drunkfu
Game's fun

Ryaaan14

Banned
Short version.

Does Halo 4 feel like Halo?

No, not really. It's doing its own thing in enough ways - in the audio design, in the way weight and speed and mass and power are conveyed - that the feel is quite unique in the series.

But that's not really the right question. The right question is whether it plays like Halo. And the answer there is for the most part, yes.

Some of the qualifications are important, but that's for another time when it's not so late and I'm not so wiped out, and I can paint a fuller picture.

A much better feeling than what I felt reading this shit:

I'm actually more split on the game than I was expecting to be. The default controls are convoluted, and the gun play doesn't feel good - it doesn't feel like Halo to me at all.

GhaleonEB

A much better feeling than what I felt reading this shit:

Heh, that is quite the contrast.

I'll say this: the default controls are still convoluted. I went to Recon and had few problems (I never did figure out how to switch grenades, though).

After playing Reach, within moments it was clear much had gone awry. After playing Halo 4 for a while, I'd like to play some more Halo 4.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Heh, that is quite the contrast.

I'll say this: the default controls are still convoluted. I went to Recon and had few problems (I never did figure out how to switch grenades, though).

After playing Reach, within moments it was clear much had gone awry. After playing Halo 4 for a while, I'd like to play some more Halo 4.

Great, great, great to know.

I will be going straight to Recon, seems absolutely perfect to me. Plywood and I had a conversation about the Sprint button not allowing you to aim, however I was probably drinking and forgot that it was a toggle. Seems like it should function perfectly.

Flat, I still don't understand how it works. Are there multiple preset locations where a certain weapon can spawn, and the system just picks one random spot/weapon to put down at a time or what? I feel so clueless & casual with this game.
Pretty much. We don't have much more details on it other than that.

Yes I was playing default, myself, and it felt pretty perfect to me. Hopefully I can meet up with some HaloGAF people at some point on Saturday or Sunday, as I haven't really been keeping up with all the PAX meet up stuff. Let a fellow know!

FyreWulff

Just talked with the Enforcer in charge of the Halo Freeplay tomorrow.

He's got 14 networked Xbox 360s to work with. If he can secure enough copies of ODST, it will be given Xboxes to LAN ODST FF with out of those 14. The rest will go to Reach or possibly Halo 3, it really depends on who has borrowed what since it isn't like last years where we could reserve an entire room for it.

This is the last time I'll shill it, so if you're interested in something that isn't hardcore like the tournament, and a more friendly/fun Halo LAN setup, it will be in the main CFP room (the one with the fighter stations).

10am-1pm, be there, and that's totally long enough to at least get one Vidmaster run in on ODST :lol

Check your PMs.
Sorry, couldn't resist

edit: edited out your quote since I saw you blanked yours right after I quoted it. Sorry.

G17

Will someone from HaloGAF be recording the Panel tomorrow or is that strictly prohibited? (who knows how long 343 will take to upload it.. last panel took 1 whole week)

heckfu

Banned
Will someone from HaloGAF be recording the Panel tomorrow or is that strictly prohibited? (who knows how long 343 will take to upload it.. last panel took 1 whole week)
I'll be taking some detailed notes and when I leave for the evening I'll type them all up and post. Lord knows I won't get Internet in there.

Just had a look at the Eli vid, game is looking great, apart from, the camo acting the same, and banshee seeming to be similar to the reach version...fuck.

I don't get the Banshee comparison. As Slightly Live pointed out, it seems more sluggish, especially the rolls and flips, and harder to steer effectively.

What it does seem to share with Reach's Banshee is how quickly it gets shredded by small arms fire.

NOKYARD

My 6 year old nephew Ryan has been staying with us for most of the summer. One day a week we spend the entire afternoon/evening playing through 3 or 4 Halo Campaign missions co-op on Normal. He is WAY better at gaming than a 6 year old should be (completed one of the Zelda games on Wii and wins almost every race on Mario Kart). We have played all the Halo campaigns other than ODST (saving it for next year when he will be better able to appreciate it).

With today being his last day here until late December i thought i would save the best for last so we played Halo 3's The Ark and The Covenant. This conversation happened today in my living room.

Ryan: Whoa, the wind from the ship landing (Forward Unto Dawn) blew me all the way back here.

Uncle Noky: Well, you better come back. They brought us presents.

Ryan, driving back to the FUD in his Brute Chopper: TANKS!!! Can I drive one?

Uncle Noky: You take this one. It has a Marine carrying a FRG. You take the lead.

Ryan, driving the tank with ear to ear grin: Is that an enemy Ghost? (we had an ally driving one earlier)

Uncle Noky: Shoot everything you see in front of you.

Halo 3: Tank beats Ghost!

Ryan, copying the game: Tank beats Ghost!

Ryan after killing a Hunter: Tank beats Hunter!

Halo 3, seconds later: Tank beats Hunter!

Ryan looks at me, confused. I too am astounded.

Uncle Noky: That was weird. Go through the cave. Shoot the Brute Phantom.

Ryan: Tank beats Everything!

Halo 3, seconds later: Tank beats Everything! Oh, man I could do this all day.

Ryan, looking at me bewildered: How does the game know what i am saying?

Also,
inheritor.png

I don't get the Banshee comparison. As Slightly Live pointed out, it seems more sluggish, especially the rolls and flips, and harder to steer effectively.

What it does seem to share with Reach's Banshee is how quickly it gets shredded by small arms fire.

It still has a lot more in common with the reach version then any other, however, I do wonder if they have also perhaps tried balancing it by only featuring it on maps with lots of cover.

I guess we will see, and the fact that the pax version isn't final build, but is close to.

Top Bottom