• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Watching Siglemic is so damn fun. I never would've guessed it, but it's true.

Oozer3993

You know I am all for a little change but with this size dev team and basically altering the Reach engine is there anything NEW that you 343 guys didn't rip off from COD?

I mean auto turrets, really? Slight of hand perks?

I know. I mean, even copying the weekly episodic campaign DLC model that CoD has been doing since time immemorial. Or the tight integration of fiction from outside of the game with the game plot proper. CoD has been doing that forever, right?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
To dissuade people from throwing bodies at a contested flag only to move it 1 inch forwards.

If the other team is there around the flag and ready to contest, you really should be avoiding the flag and setting up to fight, not jumping in to get shot up because you wanted to inch the flag closer and closer, the latter which seems to happen too often in past Halo games' online MM.

And what exactly is different?

You can inch the flag here too

A story?

Then it's probably a good spot to grab the flag and move with it too, and not sit around poking the other team.

Honestly though, I haven't played a significant amount of Halo in a very long time so all of this is just theory.

Ok, Is there anything MP that you guys didn't rip off from COD? If there was going to be this much change at least you could have come up with your own shit.

You'd need a mountain of peanut butter to go with all my jelly right now

Here ya go ;]

As someone who has been playing since threewave... I don't see the positives

Actually no... Let me rephrase that as it implies positives exist

I don't agree on your statement on the existence of positives good sir

*slaps you with dueling glove*

tumblr_m93y2z1O8N1r7cf6no2_250.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
But now you won't accidentally pick up something else and die.. causing the flag to respawn.

Just saying, there's positives/negatives to this guys.

As someone who has been playing since threewave... I don't see the positives

Actually no... Let me rephrase that as it implies positives exist

I don't agree on your statement on the existence of positives good sir

*slaps you with dueling glove*

Ken

And what exactly is different?

You can inch the flag here too

Past games you had the chance to throw the flag into a more covered spot and now you have a new area to shoot from. You could also flag bounce and advance the flag much further than a Spartan getting shot by 5 others should have.

In Halo 4, if you're going in to grab the flag you know that once you touch it you know that you're no longer able to contribute as well in a fight. So basically you now have much more limited options presented before you before diving in for the flag, which hopefully makes for a more informed decision. And yeah, I don't really have a problem with the flag carrier being handicapped and limited in options he's the flag carrier now.

But like I said on the previous page, this is all theory and just based off my limited experiences with the older Halo games.

Ok, Is there anything MP that you guys didn't rip off from COD? If there was going to be this much change at least you could have come up with your own shit.

Interesting weapons.

By any chance do you work on CoD games or make a living off Halo because you seem awfully incensed about the whole thing.

Kibbles

I've tried to stay relatively calm about everything, but not even giving us the option to play classic flag in customs even? What the hell...

A story?

Then it's probably a good spot to grab the flag and move with it too, and not sit around poking the other team.

Honestly though, I haven't played a significant amount of Halo in a very long time so all of this is just theory.

Given all you can recall since when does picking up the flag without a choice ever seem like a good idea? And now that you can't drop it I guess reseting flags it out.

Ramirez

Is the new MGS current gen? /snore if so

I'm not that worried about most of the changes, because it seems everyone who plays it, actually likes it a lot, so I guess that has to say something about the game.

Is the new MGS current gen? /snore if so

I'm not that worried about most of the changes, because it seems everyone who plays it, actually likes it a lot, so I guess that has to say something about the game.

Seems like it is, sony tweeted that it's coming to PS3.

Trans

Neo Member
These are really odd gameplay changes. I understand if they were made for a purpose, but I'm getting the feeling that these were made just for changes sake. Auto-pickup and the inability to drop the flag seem like very unnecessary gameplay modifications, at least in my opinion..

Lame.

Ramirez

Seems like it is, sony tweeted that it's coming to PS3.

I saw that, but I also see in the official press release it says Kojima Productions are also working on next generation stuff, so does that mean 360/PS3 versions with superior next gen upgrade versions along side them?

I'm so ready for these consoles to die...

Also, Heckfu, I want to hear your opinions.

Ken

Given all you can recall since when does picking up the flag without a choice ever seem like a good idea? And now that you can't drop it I guess reseting flags it out.

In my opinion? It forces teams to play with the objective in mind. If you know the flag is being aimed at by the other team and you run in you're going to die. Disabling auto-pick up doesn't automatically make standing/crouching on the flag a safe spot to fire from or move to. The flag now acts as a ward for "hey you probably shouldn't run to here until you make sure it's safe."

Also, picking up and making a flag run requires a bit more thought and planning; no more "pick up the flag, move it here, and now we play 5v5 again but also have the added advantage of starting this fight with the flag moved up 20 ft compared to the 5v5 we won earlier with 0 ft. on the flag."

Anyways, I haven't played Halo 4 yet so I'll stop coming up with probably false theories.

nillapuddin

I saw that, but I also see in the official press release it says Kojima Productions are also working on next generation stuff, so does that mean 360/PS3 versions with superior next gen upgrade versions along side them?

It actually makes me wonder if games that come out right on the precipice for next-gen will have optional additions or the capability to have a (more efficient/better looking/blah blah) version on the next gen consoles

JHall

Same here. I want all the opinions I can get right now.

So...should I keep posting impressions or yall going to keep shitting on my opinions?
Yes? :)

Also, picking up and making a flag run requires a bit more thought and planning; no more "pick up the flag, move it here, and now we play 5v5 again but also have the added advantage of starting this fight with the flag moved up 20 ft compared to the 5v5 we won earlier with 0 ft. on the flag."
The problem isn't limited to the flag locations, but if you ever stay close to a flag carrier you could end up picking it up by accident when the carrier dies. I just don't get it personally but maybe 343 has their reasons.

Ok, 3 hours. Just to spur some conversation, I honestly don't mind the auto-flag pickup thing if it were an option in some custom games or maybe a separate gametype of CTF in matchmaking. Anything to bring up Team Objective's population.

heckfu

Banned
Just got done with a game of Regicide on Haven: me, Yuhas, Barrow, Domino, Slaker, and a random. Map flows beautifully, just enough jumps and corridors to make chases possible to not only escape from but also to flank and surprise the attacker for an assassination which happened twice for me.

Assault rifle...surprisingly good at short range that doesn't REQUIRE a burst but is helpful. BR is still king at short to close range so it's helpful on this map.

Barrow came in 1st, Yuhas 2nd, me 3rd, Domino 4th, random 5th and Slaker last.

It's super helpful how the king has a waypoint above his head with bounty attached so it's possible for both types of players, passive and aggressive. Everyone here played aggressively but I could definitely see where a player could sit back and wait for the king to have a higher bounty an try and take him out but on this map it was too frantic to play that passive I think.

Sticky grenades play a lot differently and grenades in general don't have nearly as much throwing distance as they did in Reach. By playing differently I mean that stickies have a TON of loft on them and have a smaller splash damage for sure; multiple times I threw a sticky I know in Reach would've killed a person with low shields didn't touch the guy.

Overall, this game is for gun play. It's not impossible to get shot first and come back and get the kill unlike Reach.

Sorry this post is so disjointed, typing on my phone at lunch.

Just got done with a game of Regicide on Haven: me, Yuhas, Barrow, Domino, Slaker, and a random. Map flows beautifully, just enough jumps and corridors to make chases possible to not only escape from but also to flank and surprise the attacker for an assassination which happened twice for me.

Assault rifle...surprisingly good at short range that doesn't REQUIRE a burst but is helpful. BR is still king at short to close range so it's helpful on this map.

Barrow came in 1st, Yuhas 2nd, me 3rd, Domino 4th, random 5th and Slaker last.

It's super helpful how the king has a waypoint above his head with bounty attached so it's possible for both types of players, passive and aggressive. Everyone here played aggressively but I could definitely see where a player could sit back and wait for the king to have a higher bounty an try and take him out but on this map it was too frantic to play that passive I think.

Sticky grenades play a lot differently and grenades in general don't have nearly as much throwing distance as they did in Reach. By playing differently I mean that stickies have a TON of loft on them and have a smaller splash damage for sure; multiple times I threw a sticky I know in Reach would've killed a person with low shields didn't touch the guy.

Overall, this game is for gun play. It's not impossible to get shot first and come back and get the kill unlike Reach.

Sorry this post is so disjointed, typing on my phone at lunch.

Thanks. Glad to finally hear at least SOMETHING about automatics lol..

Top Bottom