• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Past games you had the chance to throw the flag into a more covered spot and now you have a new area to shoot from. You could also flag bounce and advance the flag much further than a Spartan getting shot by 5 others should have.

In Halo 4, if you're going in to grab the flag you know that once you touch it you know that you're no longer able to contribute as well in a fight. So basically you now have much more limited options presented before you before diving in for the flag, which hopefully makes for a more informed decision. And yeah, I don't really have a problem with the flag carrier being handicapped and limited in options he's the flag carrier now.

But like I said on the previous page, this is all theory and just based off my limited experiences with the older Halo games.

Interesting weapons.

By any chance do you work on CoD games or make a living off Halo because you seem awfully incensed about the whole thing.

I do not make a living at CoD or any other game but you sort of make my point. I just think with as much time as they had had they could have made their own shit up. They HAD to know this shit would be unpopular with Halo fans. If I want to play CoD, I already have that game. Why is Halo copying CoD?

Just got done with a game of Regicide on Haven: me, Yuhas, Barrow, Domino, Slaker, and a random. Map flows beautifully, just enough jumps and corridors to make chases possible to not only escape from but also to flank and surprise the attacker for an assassination which happened twice for me.

Assault rifle...surprisingly good at short range that doesn't REQUIRE a burst but is helpful. BR is still king at short to close range so it's helpful on this map.

Barrow came in 1st, Yuhas 2nd, me 3rd, Domino 4th, random 5th and Slaker last.

It's super helpful how the king has a waypoint above his head with bounty attached so it's possible for both types of players, passive and aggressive. Everyone here played aggressively but I could definitely see where a player could sit back and wait for the king to have a higher bounty an try and take him out but on this map it was too frantic to play that passive I think.

Sticky grenades play a lot differently and grenades in general don't have nearly as much throwing distance as they did in Reach. By playing differently I mean that stickies have a TON of loft on them and have a smaller splash damage for sure; multiple times I threw a sticky I know in Reach would've killed a person with low shields didn't touch the guy.

Overall, this game is for gun play. It's not impossible to get shot first and come back and get the kill unlike Reach.

Sorry this post is so disjointed, typing on my phone at lunch.

Lovely. Re-quoted for new page. Thank you for your impressions!

L1NETT

Overall, this game is for gun play. It's not impossible to get shot first and come back and get the kill unlike Reach.

Thanks Heckfu, this statement is good to hear indeed. Thanks for the impressions, it is appreciated.

Really hope the majority of Halo 4 maps are Haven - esuq because so far it is the only map I can see myself wanting to play. (BTB doesn't seem like a fantastic option at the mo - noob combo, Reach Banshee etc etc)

nillapuddin

-being awesome-

Its so very encouraging to hear literally everyone thats played saying how much of a gun game Halo 4 is

all these things swirling around, AA's, Mods, Nades.

But the biggest impression is, its a Gun Game, wonderful feeling.

-thanks for your feedback

Just got done with a game of Regicide on Haven: me, Yuhas, Barrow, Domino, Slaker, and a random. Map flows beautifully, just enough jumps and corridors to make chases possible to not only escape from but also to flank and surprise the attacker for an assassination which happened twice for me.

Assault rifle...surprisingly good at short range that doesn't REQUIRE a burst but is helpful. BR is still king at short to close range so it's helpful on this map.

It's super helpful how the king has a waypoint above his head with bounty attached so it's possible for both types of players, passive and aggressive. Everyone here played aggressively but I could definitely see where a player could sit back and wait for the king to have a higher bounty an try and take him out but on this map it was too frantic to play that passive I think.

Sticky grenades play a lot differently and grenades in general don't have nearly as much throwing distance as they did in Reach. By playing differently I mean that stickies have a TON of loft on them and have a smaller splash damage for sure; multiple times I threw a sticky I know in Reach would've killed a person with low shields didn't touch the guy.

How's Adrift? And how beautiful are the skyboxes?

Ken

I do not make a living at CoD or any other game but you sort of make my point. I just think with as much time as they had had they could have made their own shit up. They HAD to know this shit would be unpopular with Halo fans. If I want to play CoD, I already have that game. Why is Halo copying CoD?

Accessibility and appeal, maybe. Everyone who plays CoD knows what killstreaks and perks are so maybe the hope is they'd feel "at home" playing H4.

Although... Persona 4 Arena strives for accessibility and thankfully didn't copy from Capcom fighters. Maybe it's just harder to innovate FPS.

Bsigg12

Sweet! Thanks for taking the time to do this for us Heckfu, it really is appreciated.

MrDaravon

This is kind of my problem personally. I like both Halo (in general, Reach was a disappointment for a variety of reasons) and CoD, but for very different reasons. As Halo 4 appears to be inching closer to CoD I'm starting to wonder if I would want to play both. I understand why they're doing it, but they still seem to be in this sort of middle ground, unwilling to fully commit to going all the way CoD or whatever you want to call it. Part of my problem with Reach was is it got away from Halo 3 and started to drift in that direction, but it half-assed it and wound up being disappointing from both perspectives. They need to either commit or not, this middle of the road stuff is ultimately unsatisfying and just makes me want to either go play Halo 3 or CoD instead.

Opinions!

FyreWulff

Halo free play was fun. lots of people showed up. One game was dax slayer. Dmr and gl start.

Nobody wanted to pay halo 3 do we converted those stations to anniversary. Both vanilla reach and anni reach had constant players.

Good read, thanks for the impressions! If you get a chance at some point, let us know about the weapons we really havent seen much of yet. Im really curious on how the Boltshot, SAW, Binary Rifle, etc play out.

mhi

My problem with the whole progression system/while unlocking stuff is what happens when have unlocked everything and have reached the highest level ? Especially if they build gameplay incentives around it. The only solution is to add more levels.

or Prestige anyone ?

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Opinions!

I still find any COD comparisons overblown. I haven't thought of COD while watching a single gameplay. I see layers added to bring people back to the game- but I haven't seen anything that's going to come close to breaking it for me.

The dwindling population was the biggest problem for me. 343's info releases seem to be aimed at addressing this.

The vast majority didn't move on because of bloom or sprint or slow kill times. Those issues may have been addressed to a degree, but it's naive of some here to think it should be a marketing talking point.

TheOddOne

This halo copying CoD bullshit needs to stop and fast. it's not even a valid comment its a lazy way to Shit on devs.
Gameplay wise Cod had nothing on Halo, the mobility and gunplay are far more unique in Halo. Even with all the additions, nothing can break that "core". Not even Reach broke that "core" to some extent. Just the overblown extra's ruined it.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Someone needs to be a bro and take a comprehensive offscreen vid of the armor pieces. (I know it's probably too chaotic to fuck with when your turn to play comes up)

Did anyone mention if the panel vid would be released tonight?

Vire

Man, the 360/PS3 versions are gonna be scaled WAY the hell back from THAT thing.

This is some Killzone E3 2006 shit

I really don't think it's that unreasonable. You could definitely see the faults in the textures when the water splattered on it. The buildings off in the distance are also pretty low-res.

It looks great, but not that great.

I think Halo 4 looks just as good.

Those kind of visuals

in an OPEN WORLD game?

Yeah, aint happening this generation. The resolution will be lower and dem jaggies WILL pop up.

nillapuddin

Bsigg12

The water running down the rocks when they switch to gameplay is amazing. That engine looks like it's going to be absolutely amazing, especially when they get the new hardware in the next gen.

MrDaravon

I still find any COD comparisons overblown. I haven't thought of COD while watching a single gameplay. I see layers added to bring people back to the game- but I haven't seen anything that's going to come close to breaking it for me.

The dwindling population was the biggest problem for me. 343's info releases seem to be aimed at addressing this.

The vast majority didn't move on because of bloom or sprint or slow kill times. Those issues may have been addressed to a degree, but it's naive of some here to think it should be a marketing talking point.

I agree that people saying it's going full-blown COD is ridiculous. But it is clearly making a step in that direction, and as contrast all the PAX footage I've watched is making me think of nothing but CoD. I'm just not sure who they're going to wind up pleasing; obviously the "traditional" and vocal Halo fans are going to be unhappy about any changes to starting on a level playing field (which is a fair complaint), but even if they split all the playlists into Infinity and Classic you're already splitting the userbase, and playlist management and consolidation has always been a problem with Halo so you start running into that. On the other hand all of the hardcore CoD fans probably aren't going to feel it goes far enough in that direction in terms of modification, respawn times, etc. I'm still getting both games regardless, I'm just curious to see how things wind up playing out. I've said it before and I'll probably say it again, but 343's messaging on this game has been pretty fucking awful.

Shadders

The more I think about it, the more I think not being able to drop the flag will work really well.

It obviously encourages teamwork and the argument that it will make people not want to grab the flag don't really hold any water for me. We see in NakedEli's video that he gets 100 points for a flag grab, that's 10 standard kills. Assuming that XP points are earned relative to points scored in games then it's not as if you aren't incentivised to grab the flag.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

MGS and MGS2 are two of my favorite games of all time

MGS4 was probably one of the worst games I have ever played... At least relative to budget

And the cinematics? Boring and long as hell.

Almost the entire game except for a small section (with that awesome boss in the house) felt like it was on rails

(Ps I haven't played mgs3 yet lol)

Ramirez

343 is upseting a very, very small minority- they just happen to be significant here. They'll buy/play the game anyways, and let's me frank, they wouldn't be happy with anything anyways.

Most of the unhappy posts come from simply not knowing why something was changed, or how exactly mechanics in the game work. Let's not be daft about it, the info drops & explanations have been abysmal compared to Bungie.

Top Bottom