• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

CyReN

Most of the unhappy posts come from simply not knowing why something was changed, or how exactly mechanics in the game work. Let's not be daft about it, the info drops & explanations have been abysmal compared to Bungie.

I agree, we have to wait for people at Pax to tell us if the flag dropping is a glitch, can we do it in customs, etc. I know they mean well but it's kinda of crazy. I'm not sure if it's even them or are they unsure with their decisions or testing the market to see feedback until they finally have something down pat.

Let's not be daft about it, the info drops & explanations have been abysmal compared to Bungie.
Quoted for ultimate truth. Its the biggest misstep in all of this. To alter so much and rely upon third parties to report on it after some quick hands on time just leads to freak outs.

This game needed a comprehensive multiplayer ViDoc a month ago.

MrDaravon

I'm not talking about gameplay changes, I'm talking about communicating about the game at all. I have friends who buy like 3 or 4 games a year (Halo, CoD, Madden, etc) and they barely even know this game is coming out in two months. Then they're asking me for any details, and I realize that either I don't know, or if I do know I'm having to decipher it between multiple sources. The PAX stuff is just a good example; all of the things that have come out of floor gameplay in terms of new weapons, perks (I can't even remember what they're calling them in H4), gametype changes, etc all should have been detailed before people found out about them at PAX. They're just failing to get any sort of consistent, reliable messaging and/or advertising out there, and at this point we should know practically everything about multiplayer except for maybe a few maps.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Most of the unhappy posts come from simply not knowing why something was changed, or how exactly mechanics in the game work. Let's not be daft about it, the info drops & explanations have been abysmal compared to Bungie.

I've seen changes I'd rather not see- and there is plenty of stuff I want to hear about that I probably won't hear about until a month before release. But the intensity of the venom is ridiculous.

343 is absolutely catering their information towards a mainstream audience, and I'd rather they do this rather than have everyone bitch in 6 months that nobody plays H4. I still see a core in tack, and I personally can't think of another AAA title dev being this involved w/ so many different communities.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

And also want to say: bad hype is bad hype

Excitement drives your first week or so sales

Just so happens games are a front loaded business (at least retail)

If hardcore loses faith in the product, casuals tend to shy away

I agree, we have to wait for people at Pax to tell us if the flag dropping is a glitch, can we do it in customs, etc. I know they mean well but it's kinda of crazy. I'm not sure if it's even them or are they unsure with their decisions or testing the market to see feedback until they finally have something down pat.

Having flag dropping (edit: IN CUSTOMS, i mean ooooooops) will alleviate only a few people's concerns

The playlists is where the majority of players play- they won't just hop into customs to play a game of CTF that's not broken

nillapuddin

MGS and MGS2 are two of my favorite games of all time

MGS4 was probably one of the worst games I have ever played... At least relative to budget

And the cinematics? Boring and long as hell.

Almost the entire game except for a small section (with that awesome boss in the house) felt like it was on rails

(Ps I haven't played mgs3 yet lol)

First off, YOU HAVE TO PLAY SNAKE EATER!!!

(toning down the caps now)

About MGS4, I couldnt possibly disagree more, I rank that as probably my favorite experience this generation. Feeling on rails is completely bizarre also, thats the whole crux of MGS4 to me, playing different playstyles and tactics

Something Halo claims to do, and does to a degree, but doesnt come full circle because there isnt a true iteration of 'stealth' in Halo.

I am not naive enough to think my little post here will change your mind but I cannot understand how you reached your opinion, Im sorry you feel that way I truly am, it was such a rewarding experience for me.

Maybe if you ever had a spare 24 consecutive hours you could give the game another run through or something, (obviously not)

Ramirez

I've seen changes I'd rather not see- and there is plenty of stuff I want to hear about that I probably won't hear about until a month before release. But the intensity of the venom is ridiculous.

343 is absolutely catering their information towards a mainstream audience, and I'd rather they do this rather than have everyone bitch in 6 months that nobody plays H4. I still see a core in tack, and I personally can't think of another AAA title dev being this involved w/ so many different communities.

Venom? lol

Stating the simple truth isn't venom friend.

DopeyFish

First off, YOU HAVE TO PLAY SNAKE EATER!!!

(toning down the caps now)

About MGS4, I couldnt possibly disagree more, I rank that as probably my favorite experience this generation. Feeling on rails is completely bizarre also, thats the whole crux of MGS4 to me, playing different playstyles and tactics

Something Halo claims to do, and does to a degree, but doesnt come full circle because there isnt a true iteration of 'stealth' in Halo.

I am not naive enough to think my little post here will change your mind but I cannot understand how you reached your opinion, Im sorry you feel that way I truly am, it was such a rewarding experience for me.

Maybe if you ever had a spare 24 consecutive hours you could give the game another run through or something, (obviously not)

I was doing the run with friends (which I don't normally do) because I didn't own a PS3 then... But then again my hatred could be fed by saying to a friend he can play next because he had 30 minutes left... Finished the sequence (boss fight after the bike chase iirc)... Gave him the controller... 30 minute cutscene begins

That and on his way out the door he tripped and vaulted a stool into a fish tank causing a mass explosion of water and piranhas all over the place

That was a fun day

(Plan on getting mgs3 now that it's on games on demand)

You'd be better off separating the "fuck you 343"s from legitimate criticism of what people see in such changes. If you don't want to see what people have to say put everyone on ignore. I hate to go there but you're a junior, don't like it, leave.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Venom? lol

Stating the simple truth isn't venom friend.

Christ, the last 50 pages has been the most colorful stating of the simple truth I've ever read. I have no problem w/ stating displeasure or dislike. But it's often been far more than that- I immediately fight the urge to discard some posters' opinions, valid or not.

I hate to go there but you're a junior, don't like it, leave.

lame

nillapuddin

-kinda crappy situation-

(Plan on getting mgs3 now that it's on games on demand)

that I suppose I can understand, trading off can suck sometimes, you'll have a great time with MGS3, that I can absolutely endorse 1000% percent

sorry for the OT yall, mgs/kojima coming back is alot like halo/masterchief coming back for me

CyReN

sp. Stay calm.

I'm chill, very excited actually. Thanks for the heads up.

idZFp6Gbo.gif

I don't know why some of you are surprised at the "venom" The one thing we all seem to bitch about is that Bungie with Reach didn't listen to the community. 343 took what a lot of us think is the worst in Reach and amplified it. They have been pretty quiet about shit too. I mean at least bungie had their reasons and we would find game making changes from them (most of the time) By this time Reach already had a beta and knew what was coming.

Christ, the last 50 pages has been the most colorful stating of the simple truth I've ever read. I have no problem w/ stating displeasure or dislike. But it's often been far more than that- I immediately fight the urge to discard some posters' opinions, valid or not.

So just ignore those people? As info comes out slowly people will have opinions on it. That's how it works.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't know why some of you are surprised at the "venom" The one thing we all seem to bitch about is that Bungie with Reach didn't listen to the community. 343 took what a lot of us think is the worst in Reach and amplified it. They have been pretty quiet about shit too. I mean at least bungie had their reasons and we would find game making changes from them (most of the time) By this time Reach already had a beta and knew what was coming.

I agree the PR has been handled poorly, at least compared to what we were used to with Bungie. HOWEVER, read the impressions from people who have played the game. Yes, honeymoon phase, etc etc, but there were a lot of negative reactions to the Reach beta, and not so many here. I'm definitely holding back any hard judgment until I have proof that there is a problem.

TheOddOne

I'm sorry, but if you ever followed HaloGAF you know we never really agree on anything. That what makes this place so great. Debate and bring your opinions forth and you will be suprised at how well people get into pretty detailed discussions, some will even respect you even though they don't agree with you.

DopeyFish

I agree the PR has been handled poorly, at least compared to what we were used to with Bungie. HOWEVER, read the impressions from people who have played the game. Yes, honeymoon phase, etc etc, but there were a lot of negative reactions to the Reach beta, and not so many here. I'm definitely holding back any hard judgment until I have proof that there is a problem.

Screw you guis I liked my nuclear grenades

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
So just ignore those people? As info comes out slowly people will have opinions on it. That's how it works.

I'm not sour on anyone personally. Just think it's a shame that there actually is a forum where you can interact w/ people involved with the game- and perhaps valid criticisms are lost in sarcasm and spewage (There have been well thought out criticisms as well).

I'm sorry, but if you ever followed HaloGAF you know we never really agree on anything. That what makes this place so great. Debate and bring your opinions forth and you will be suprised at how well people get into pretty detailed discussions, some will even respect you even though they don't agree with you.

Sure, I lurked here for months. This week though has been different though.

Did you get your hoodie yet?

and nice impressions Heck.
Aren't you following me? I got it. But I still fear that Claude's joke is coming true. He joked that Frankie will appear behind me and say "you can't keep that.", take my hoodie and disappear again. I am going to fight for it.

I'm not sour on anyone personally. Just think it's a shame that there actually is a forum where you can interact w/ people involved with the game- and perhaps valid criticisms are lost in sarcasm and spewage (There have been well thought out criticisms as well).

Yeah? And? You don't need to pull your punches just because the devs are here. I'm one of the most critical assholes around and I still got invited to see Halo 4 at the MS Spring Showcase. Frankie and David are big boys who can handle our pickiness and hyper critical opinions. If they couldn't they wouldn't have stuck around. When we cross the line or talk purely out of ass they correct us, the thread moves on and we still fuck around on Live.

kylej

Banned
why do people join Halogaf then immediately start complaining about the thread or how the people in it post. like... go back to where you came from if you don't like it, nobody gives a shit.

DopeyFish

why do people join Halogaf then immediately start complaining about the thread or how the people in it post. like... go back to where you came from if you don't like it, nobody gives a shit.

I'm not liking the way you're talking, mister

Tone it up a notch

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Yeah? And? You don't need to pull your punches just because the devs are here. I'm one of the most critical assholes around and I still got invited to see Halo 4 at the MS Spring Showcase. Frankie and David are big boys who can handle our pickiness and hyper critical opinions. If they couldn't they wouldn't have stuck around. When we cross the line or talk purely out of ass they correct us, the thread moves on and we still fuck around on Live.

I'd hope I'd be as respectful towards you as I would to a dev, whether criticism or praise. I'd never shit on someone putting an honest effort into their work. But you are right, will move on.

Top Bottom