• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Korosenai

I dunno. Oddball has gotten very stale in recent games, unlike CTF or Assault on good maps. They first tried to mix it up with neat variants like Lowball in 2, and then again with Hot Potato in Reach. Note: Hot Potato is not a neat variant. Hot Potato is fecal matter.

I'll take ball throwing, which seems like it is a nice addition that behaves in a predictable manner and adds something truly different to the gametype, over a ball that explodes randomly.
I'm fine with someone throwing the ball off the side of the map and resetting it.

I'm not fine with having to now play monkey in the middle just trying to get the oddball for my team.

Omni

http://au.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/witness-your-first-flagssassination-halo-4-panel-demo @ 3:20.

I don't know what's worse: Someone using armour lock and killing you while trying to splatter them or hearing some retarded announcement stating that you just ran someone over with a full hog.

My list of things to avoid in Halo 4:

Infinity Slayer
Carrying the flag
Walking near the flag
Killing someone with the flag
Killing someone while holding the flag
Running someone over in the 'hog with a passenger and gunner
Doing any kind of objective ever
"assisting" someone that has the flag
Assassinating, period.

Interceptions in Oddball will be amazing.

I wonder what sort of custom options we can get. Will be awesome to see basketball or football inspired modes. Maybe Grifball has become that?

Fotos

http://au.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/witness-your-first-flagssassination-halo-4-panel-demo @ 3:20.

I don't know what's worse: Someone using armour lock and killing you while trying to splatter them or hearing some retarded announcement stating that you just ran someone over with a full hog.

Infinity Slayer
Carrying the flag
Walking near the flag
Assassinating, period.

I liked it...

Ryaaan14

Banned

Infinity Slayer
Carrying the flag
Walking near the flag
Assassinating, period.

Sounds like you'd be better off not buying the game if you can't stand announcer dialogue.

CyReN

I actually like the oddball throwing a lot after seeing it in action, could widen the skill gap, still not won over with holding the flag yet. Seems like too many negatives for me. Guess I have to play it first.

For those that like the Halo 4 gameplay from the new vidoc, made another video showcasing it.

Omni

Sounds like you'd be better off not buying the game if you can't stand announcer dialogue.

I like announcer dialogue... but 343i have gone overboard. Bungie understood that you can have too much of a good thing and limited the announcements during the game. 343i have made it their mission to announce every single thing that we do in game. Oh, I picked up the flag? No fucking shit.

It would not surprise me in the least if we got some retarded announcement every time we picked up a weapon.

vvvv @Tashi: True. But you get what I mean though, yes? It seems excessive.

Trans

Neo Member
I like announcer dialogue... but 343i have gone overboard. Bungie understood that you can have too much of a good thing and limited the announcements during the game. 343i have made it their mission to announce every single thing that we do in game. Oh, I picked up the flag? No fucking shit.

It would not surprise me in the least if we got some retarded announcement every time we picked up a weapon.

Yeah it looks they went a little overboard in that respect.

I like announcer dialogue... but 343i have gone overboard. Bungie understood that you can have too much of a good thing and limited the announcements during that game. 343i have made it their mission to announce every single thing that we do in game. Oh, I picked up the flag? No fucking shit.

they want Casuals to know exactly what they're doing. hence the visual and audio cues for oddball and ctf. YOU HAVE THE BALL and flag indicator for example.

daedalius

The preview, or the full thing? That preview seems to be missing big chunks of things that seem really important right in the middle, I'd probably wait for the release.

I wanted to read the preview, but so many missing pages ruins it.

Stop making spoilered text Dani!

Fotos

FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED,

nillapuddin

they want the Cod kids to know exactly what they're doing. hence the visual and audio cues for oddball and ctf. YOU HAVE THE BALL and flag indicator for example.

(we) should really stop saying its solely applying to "Call of Duty kids"

The fact is, if you want Halo to flourish and be the mega-franchise of yesteryear, all age groups must play, understand and enjoy the game

None of the additional visual or audible clues are ruining the game for people who LOVE halo*, and they will help players get acclimated to a new game.

Stop being so short sighted
(not directed at you specifically ragnarok, just in general)

*if you say halo is ruined for that, your being a drama queen

edit: yeah... well placed edit.

Plain Ben

Did anyone see the players get 15xp for throwing a long ball in oddball? Won't that mean players can sit at the back of their base with the ball playing hacky-sack to boost xp?

Halo 4 Avatar Awards

knight-helmet.png

Knight Helmet
Unlock the “Knight in White Assassination” achievement to
earn this award

platinum-mark-vi-helmet.png

Platinum Mark VI Helmet
Unlock the “Wake Up, John” achievement to earn this award

unsc-infinity-hoodie-male.png

UNSC Infinity Hoodie
Unlock the “Not Some Recruit Anymore” achievement to
earn this award

unsc-infinity-hoodie-female.png

UNSC Infinity Hoodie
earn this award

The fact is, if you want Halo to flourish and be the mega-franchise of yesteryear, all age groups must play, understand and enjoy the game

None of the additional visual or audible clues are ruining the game for people who LOVE halo*, and they will help players get acclimated to a new game.

The way the announcer says "YOU HAVE THE BALL" sounds condescending. and i edited it because "Casual" is better umbrella term. and who are we kidding... Cod players are going to play CoD not halo.

CyReN

Halo 4 Avatar Awards

knight-helmet.png

Knight Helmet
Unlock the “Knight in White Assassination” achievement to
earn this award

platinum-mark-vi-helmet.png

Platinum Mark VI Helmet
Unlock the “Wake Up, John” achievement to earn this award

unsc-infinity-hoodie-male.png

UNSC Infinity Hoodie
earn this award

Don't forget this one
UNSC_Infinty_Hoodie_F.png

Didn't we find out a while ago there were 10 new weapons?

1. Scattershot
  2. Boltshot
  3. Lightrifle
  4. Binary rifle
  5. Incineration Cannon
  6. Pulse Grenade (not really a weapon)
  7. Suppressor
  8. Storm Rifle
  9. Railgun
  10. SAW
  11. Sticky Detonator
  12. "Weapon that is like nothing we've seen before"

That's quite a lot of new toys!

Omni

But the announcer is just stating the obvious... all the time. Sure, let him say "Killing Spree" or shit like that, but come on. There's a point where it's ridiculous, and 343i have (for some reason) ran past it. Anyone that actually needs the announcer to explain every. single. thing. like it is now shouldn't be playing the game in the first place (It is, after all, an M rated game).

FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED, FLAG TAKEN, FLAG DROPPED,
That was fixed, yo.

nillapuddin

The way the announcer says "YOU HAVE THE BALL" sounds condescending. and i edited it because "Casual" is better umbrella term. and who are we kidding... Cod players are going to play CoD not halo.

That was my point, saying that all these changes are for Call Of Duty players is bad business.

Its the equivalent to the "Halo copies COD" statements

When you change that term to "Casuals" it is more appropriate, thats what I said, these additions are for the average player with little overall knowledge, just looking to have a good time, and play socially

Havok

Didn't we find out a while ago there were 10 new weapons?

1. Scattershot
  2. Boltshot
  3. Lightrifle
  4. Binary rifle
  5. Incineration Cannon
  6. Pulse Grenade (not really a weapon)
  7. Suppressor
  8. Storm Rifle
  9. Railgun
  10. Sticky Detonator
  11. "Weapon that is like nothing we've seen before"

That's quite a lot of new toys!
Don't forget the SAW.

Yea, from what I read the book should be pretty killer.

When is it coming out again?
Amazon's got it listed for October 2nd.

Oozer3993

This Thursday War preview is not so much a "preview" as much as it is "most of the book." It even includes the Epilogue, or at least the beginning of it.

This Thursday War preview is not so much a "preview" as much as it is "most of the book." It even includes the Epilogue, or at least the beginning of it.
I'd like to know where you saw that. The TTW preview I saw included about 115 pages out of 444, not a little but still only about a quarter of the book, with a lot of key moments deliberately left out. Still enough to find out that
Traviss has not yet been forced to give Halsey a fair treatment, though
:(

Top Bottom