• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Arnie

Frankie said, that we are able to strip down all settings to Halo 3 alike settings, right? Maybe this is one of those things, which can be stripped down.

If it can, then I hope MLG strip it down for matchmaking.

And I don't really think we should refer to it as 'stripping down' when we're adding a ton of nuance and subtlety.

CTF as we know it now is like the husk of the Forward Unto Dawn, a shell of it's former self, heading for a crash landing, unsalvageable.

Oh BTW I had to trade a brand new MLG 360 controller AND a Halo 2600 cartridge to get a staffer to give up their hoodie. I HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT.
oh man no I am feeling unwell much more now. You didn't have to do that man. At least the worker got something out of it. It was definitely worth it.

Well, it's more powerful. If you're in the orb when it blows, you're done- even with full health/shields. That's why they give you a second to get the hell away from it before it detonates.
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks. So its a Reach beta grenade with more sparklies.

The guy who made it is German.
Rage abated. But honestly, I see the word Rouge on the interwebs more than I see the word Rogue. Its a pet peeve. Along with 'turrent'. Guaranteed to make that one vein on my forehead throb.

yeah it does. saw in a video

Hmmm. Somebody (I don't remember who) who attented PAX said that they tried to stop a vehicle with it and it didn't work. Clarification would be good. Franky?

The official description for the Pulse grenade at PAX was as follows:

"The Pulse Grenade forcefully detonates and forms a hazardous ionization sphere which eventually collapses, destroying any nearby targets."

Flipyap

Mark_II_SPI_Armor_Variant.jpg

I pray for this every day. Frankie Pls

No way, nuh-uh, nooooo. They managed to make my EVA look so weird, I'm afraid what the SPI might look like if it joins this parade of terrible hats.
Also, HAZOP was my favorite Reach helmet, so I'm starting to suspect that every helmet I liked is cursed to become a freakish abomination in 4. The SPI is my favorite Halo armor thing. Bad omen right there.

ucandrunk.

My SO is a nurse and a couple years ago she told me to pair every drink, no matter if its a shot or a beer, with a glass of water, and no matter how drunk you get, you won't get a hangover. I've followed this advice, and have never had one since.

--

I've also landed back home in Edmonton. Last night was pretty bonkers playing cards against humanity with the Loadout devs, drunk as hell. I can't begin how crazy PAX will be next year with the extra day. I am excite. Again, so cool to meet everyone you're all actually not douchebags in real life ;) It was a privilege, GAF. Now to process some of what I played, and let the hype and bias of playing the game early settle in before I form any real opinions.

FyreWulff

My SO is a nurse and a couple years ago she told me to pair every drink, no matter if its a shot or a beer, with a glass of water, and no matter how drunk you get, you won't get a hangover. I've followed this advice, and have never had one since.

--

I've also landed back home in Edmonton. Last night was pretty bonkers playing cards against humanity with the Loadout devs, drunk as hell. I can't begin how crazy PAX will be next year with the extra day. I am excite. Again, so cool to meet everyone you're all actually not douchebags in real life ;) It was a privilege, GAF. Now to process some of what I played, and let the hype and bias of playing the game early settle in before I form any real opinions.

Extra day?

WUT

Caja 117

I also did my best to explain that the new flag mechanics, although interesting, could severely ruin competitive matchmaking playlists for solo players. I made the point of stats versus running the flag when playing with strangers. I can't think of the incentive for a competitive player going in alone to matchmaking to run a flag on a small map.

He responded that the mechanic is something that he is able to patch if my theory proves true.

(sorry for sloppy writing. Typing from iPhone)

-Baller Dick
So, Drooping the flag and auto pick up is not customizable?

Recarpo

It was pretty nice. Rooms are comfy and the staff took care of everything, even had a discussion with one of the employees about Nebraska (I had my Nebraska shirt on, and he was from Lincoln) I also like their internet kiosk next to the front desk which was great for quickly checking Google Maps last year when I had to find meetup locations. They also spent a notable amount of time helping me locate a spare charger for free for my phone .

Crazy how many Nebraska people seem to end up on the west coast. Huge number of Nebraskans and NU alum in Phoenix which is nice when looking for sports bars that'll have the husker games playing on saturdays.

My favourite mindfuck CTF strategy in Reach is grabbing the flag on Ridgeline and hiding on the upper level for a while watching the enemy team scramble out across the map searching for you, after which you calmly saunter behind their lines.

What if they allowed you to pass the flag to someone else? Would that make up for not being able to drop it? (Think a less-stiff trade system in Gears)

Just watched yesterday's Breaking Bad, my god...

So I'm interested in reading the rest of the impressions/write-ups from those that went to pax, later tonight I assume?

Trans

Neo Member
Are people here still playing Reach/H3? Can I join anybody for matchmaking/custom games?

I'm free whenever.

:D

pm me.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well... not exactly 'uncompressed' - just not YOUTUBE-compressed. (The original file from the Ki Pro was 14GB. I re-encoded with x264 down to 10000kbps, because 1GB is FAR easier to distribute than 14.)

To Aggrotek - I'm currently downloading Plywood's links - Part 4 seems to be perfectly fine. I'm guessing something went wrong for you the first time you tried it, and your browser has cached the bad data. :( Try force-reloading that link. (Part 1 is going pretty slowly, but I have all the rest. If the RAR doesn't recombine, I'll edit this post.)
Close enough. :p

Also Ryaaan downloaded and extracted just fine last night.

Akai__

Did somebody test how far you can toss grenades? Especially plasma grenades.

Also, how does the SAW work? Is it just a heavier AR or are there some things we should know?

Spawnling

No sir, incorrect.

If you merely TOUCH your own flag you can't drop it manually, and are forced to use a pistol.

It just feels like it will cause more harm thank we think.

-Guys I got Rockets I'm covering the flag guy
-Teammate with flag gets sniped/teamshot/naded/any combination

-*Now you have to decide if you're going to pick up the flag and sacrifice using rockets OR wait for another teammate to get to your location.*

Ugh.

I like to think I'll usually just play whatever gameplay changes are put in front of me, but unless something clicks with me I might actually stick to Classic CTF in 4. Oddball tossing is fine, regicide seems crazy if I get back into FFA, but that's just such a jarring change. Bare minimum I probably need a team before I even consider Infinity CTF.

senador

Banned
Any word/hint on assault in all this PAX madness?

I am interested and also worried to hear about Assault.

So that Halo/Minecraft clone is apparently coming out in a few days....

Oh wow that looks like fun.

Yeah, it's inevitable. And pointless. And dumb.

I keep picturing how a map like Sanctuary/Asylum might play now. Attempting to clear out the enemy based and your walk over the flag several times before taking it will now end up with you with flag in hand. Oh fuck, then dead.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It just feels like it will cause more harm thank we think.

-Guys I got Rockets I'm covering the flag guy
-Teammate with flag gets sniped/teamshot/naded/any combination

-*Now you have to decide if you're going to pick up the flag and sacrifice using rockets OR wait for another teammate to get to your location.*

Ugh.

It's pretty clear they were aiming at creating a new metagame in CTF, based on no flag dropping, flag reset times being static, and of course the flagnum. As long as there is some offering of classic CTF, I'm totally fine with this new wonky version, hell I will certainly play it.

Kind of surprised it has 20 player online, wonder how well that will work out.

I hope it has some sort of matchmaking system. For that price I doubt it will though. I'll just have to pressure all my friends into buying it I guess.

For those who are interested in Halo 4's armor. Bravo has released a video of some armor pieces and skins, from the PAX build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19nznZGyuw0&feature=g-u-u

Edit: I think I'm kinda late with this video. I thought it said 1 minute ago, but it is actuallly 41 minutes ago. :/

Wow thanks for posting this. This is precisely what I've been waiting for.

Any word/hint on assault in all this PAX madness?

I am interested and also worried to hear about Assault.

It's very confusing. After the panel was over, I made a short post about my feelings on the subject. Assault is a classic gametype. Why announce Griffball before that?

Given what we know of Griffball and CTF, if Assault is indeed returning, there's a good chance the mob will be an auto-pick-up. I can't see 343 putting a marker over your head for the bomb carrier, given that stealth can be a huge part of planting the bomb. I have less of a hard time imagining that you'll be able to have a pistol out while carrying the bomb, but I'd like to think that unlikely.

Ryaaan14

Banned
lolguys. They are obv not going to show you every helmet that's going to be available to you in the final game during a floor demo.

Top Bottom