• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

nillapuddin

h4_helmets.jpg

Mhm, ran out of room for Mk V, thats fine, Im sure the next armor roundup they will squeeze it in
SO MUCH DENIAL

doesnt look like this kitty kat helmet is in the picture above?

26144498.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Welp, looks like I was either stupid and forgot or I got Red Lion'd, too.

I wore the 117 shirt I got from the February showcase on Friday and now that I was unpacking my stuff, I realized I didn't have the shirt with me.

That was seriously my best Halo shirt. :(

The Light Rifle is selectable? Nice. Looks like my weapon of choice is going to be clear.
Yes, Light Rifle is loadout.
Ah, ok, so did you like the Concussion Rifle more than Reach? Sounds like it could be a really cool gun if it fills the Brute Shots role a bit more. I must have missed your Regen and Incinerator Cannon impression..Im gonna go look for those.
Yes, I immediately liked it a lot more than in Reach, went on a nice little spree with it in a game on Adrift.

No need to find those impressions if you can wait, it will all be in my big write-up.
So, we have:

BR
DMR
AR
Carbine
Storm Rifle
Light Rifle
Promethean Surpressor

Pistol
Plasma Pistol
Boltshot

Frag
Plasma
Promethean Nade
I think that's correct.
How many loadouts can we have customized, 2? Anyway, I'll probably be going with these:

You get 5 custom loadouts.

FyreWulff

Search for Walshy's Video on Bravos YT account, he uses it at first. We don't see how good it is.
Glad they found the most stuff. Hope your Weekend wasn't that bad, shame that you didn't play Halo 4.

Let's just say I'm not worried about being able to play Halo 4 before launch. Although I did go into Cartographer mode and listened to people discussing the game after playing it as I watched other people play, which I'll digest down to fine details and share with the others once I land. It was interesting to see people that talked about Halo 2 a lot stick with the BR, while others switched between DMR and BR and whatever else was available, exploring the game.

Also for the love of god I hope they give the maps another pass on spawns. There were quite a few bad spawns in front of a scorpion for people, and since instant respawn was off in CTF it wasn't a result of them spawning in too soon.

Welp, looks like I was either stupid and forgot or I got Red Lion'd, too.

I wore the 117 shirt I got from the February showcase on Friday and now that I was unpacking my stuff, I realized I didn't have the shirt with me.

That was seriously my best Halo shirt. :(

Ah shit. I was thinking I could have made an attempt to go ask for it in the lost and found but it's probably 2 miles down a trash chute at this point :(

edit: I always assume I'm forgetting something in the room as I'm leaving

CyReN

Nexy tried posting on his phone but it wasn't working, if anybody still in Seattle and wants to grab lunch with Nexy he's still here and wants to meet some more HaloGaffers.

His twitter is - @NexyMLG to contact him.

Mobility, Dexterity, and Shielding shouldn't be in the game at all. I'm fine with all of the perks except for those 3.

I agree, screws with the Balance to much and makes for an unfair advantage. Halo was never about this.

Unlockable AA's and Perks. I know Frankie and crew are on record saying players want to feel invested but this kind of thing always backfires. The only people who wind up playing that long are the die hards. The exact group of people they are pissing off with this nonsense.

When we played games and didn't get the tank, it was gone in seconds.

When we played games and did get the tank, things like me getting a Rampage and Barrow getting an Inconceivable happen.
You know we donged everyone pretty hard this weekend.

And I kinda feel unwell wearing the hoodie.

nexy

Neo Member
I haven't gotten into a tank since Sidewinder. I jumped in one this weekend and mashed buttons and got easy medals.

Has the Tank always been that strong?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just decided to drop out of going to MLG Dallas. I acted impulsively and tried to find a way to go but it would be completely irresponsible of me to spend the money on that trip. Especially considering I should be saving money, I have bills and all that other shit. Would be a killer time no doubt, but hey, that's just the way it is right now. I honestly feel relieved now that I don't have to think of a miracle way to make the Dallas trip work. It's been killing me all day. Peace of mind.

/live journal

Now taking bets on how quickly the Scorpion is removed from matchmaking.

If that tank had set up in that open field outside the enemy base instead of doing laps in an enclosed area, it'd be untouchable.

I don't think the Tank + other vehicles will be that bad considering we now can spawn with Plasma Pistols. If a team of 8 can't take out one Tank with PP's.. even against another team with a good set up.

Havok

I haven't gotten into a tank since Sidewinder. I jumped in one this weekend and mashed buttons and got easy medals.

Has the Tank always been that strong?
Yes, and it's why it's always been almost completely removed from matchmaking a month after launch and replaced with a Wraith. Happened with Halo 2's Coagulation and Reach's Hemo, and should have happened with Avalanche's round-based gametypes.

I don't think the Tank + other vehicles will be that bad considering we now can spawn with Plasma Pistols. If a team of 8 can't take out one Tank with PP's.. even against another team with a good set up.
Yeah, maybe, but that video didn't inspire any confidence (especially after the panel mentioned buffing the dang thing). I would have said the same thing about having Scorpions in Invasion where the entire enemy team spawns with Plasma Pistols, but it's just as much of a clusterfuck as ever.

Maybe it'll be awesome and work out perfectly, but I'll have to see it to believe it after so many bad experiences.

Ryaaan14

Banned
For all of you who lost items at the Red Lion, I work as a Housekeeping Supervisor at a Hyatt, and our department keeps EVERY left behind item for a minimum of 30 days, and will ship it out to you, you just have to pay for shipping.

I'm at work right now and took the liberty to call the Red Lion on 5th Ave, and spoke to the front office agent, he confirmed Loss Prevention holds all lost items.

Call and get your shit yall. :_P

For all of you who lost items at the Red Lion, I work as a Housekeeping Supervisor at a Hyatt, and our department keeps EVERY left behind item for a minimum of 30 days, and will ship it out to you, you just have to pay for shipping.

I'm at work right now and took the liberty to call the Red Lion on 5th Ave, and spoke to the front office agent, he confirmed Loss Prevention holds all lost items.

Call and get your shit yall. :_P
Didnt firewolf already post they got their shit back?

FyreWulff

Jesus Christ, they threw that stuff in the trash? What the fuck lol

Yeah, it was like.. nobody understood why anything like that happened.

For the record, I've stayed at both the Sheraton (07,08, this year) and the Hyatt @ Olive 8 (11) and never had any problems with either, so I have no previous interaction with Red Lion to base their actions off of.

The only issue we've had is the booking company mis-booked our hotel room at the Hyatt and at the Sheraton two years in a row now. Supposed to get 2 beds and both times we only got one, had to order an extra one last year at the Hyatt and we were SOL at the Sheraton this year.

I'll probably be going to the Hyatt in a bit to sponge their wireless, lol

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yeah, it was like.. nobody understood why anything like that happened.

For the record, I've stayed at both the Sheraton (07,08, this year) and the Hyatt @ Olive 8 (11) and never had any problems with either, so I have no previous interaction with Red Lion to base their actions off of.

The only issue we've had is the booking company mis-booked our hotel room at the Hyatt and at the Sheraton two years in a row now. Supposed to get 2 beds and both times we only got one, had to order an extra one last year at the Hyatt and we were SOL at the Sheraton this year.

I'll probably be going to the Hyatt in a bit to sponge their wireless, lol

I've considered transfering there before. Heard it's a nice-ass hotel.

nexy

Neo Member
I also did my best to explain that the new flag mechanics, although interesting, could severely ruin competitive matchmaking playlists for solo players. I made the point of stats versus running the flag when playing with strangers. I can't think of the incentive for a competitive player going in alone to matchmaking to run a flag on a small map.

He responded that the mechanic is something that he is able to patch if my theory proves true.

(sorry for sloppy writing. Typing from iPhone)

-Baller Dick

Now taking bets on how quickly the Scorpion is removed from matchmaking.

If that tank had set up in that open field outside the enemy base instead of doing laps in an enclosed area, it'd be untouchable.

How many plasma pistols were fired at it or stickies thrown at it?

Players didn't know about the entire sandbox players can spawn with.

nexy

Neo Member
Double post to TLDR: why would you ever run a flag if your not playing with your team (in competitive playlist)

Didn't Frankie say that wielding a pistol with flag was so that you felt "Slightly less helpless"?

When I ran flags at PAX, I was completely helpless.

/beatingpointstodeath

-Candy Pants

Arnie

I also did my best to explain that the new flag mechanics, although interesting, could severely ruin competitive matchmaking playlists for solo players. I made the point of stats versus running the flag when playing with strangers. I can't think of the incentive for a competitive player going in alone to matchmaking to run a flag on a small map.

He responded that the mechanic is something that he is able to patch if my theory proves true.

-Baller Dick

Whilst good that he's willing to patch it in, these are things that he should have ultimate confidence in if he's going to champion such a significant change. A member of the public shouldn't be able to go up and half convince the lead multiplayer designer that something might need to be changed post launch.

Kevin Franklin noted the weapon/vehicle set on Exile is not finalized. Food for thought.

That's good. Even as a BTB vehicle lover, the map as shown at PAX had way too much going on with all those vehicles. Either the tanks or the banshees need to go at a minimum.

FyreWulff

I've considered transfering there before. Heard it's a nice-ass hotel.

It was pretty nice. Rooms are comfy and the staff took care of everything, even had a discussion with one of the employees about Nebraska (I had my Nebraska shirt on, and he was from Lincoln) I also like their internet kiosk next to the front desk which was great for quickly checking Google Maps last year when I had to find meetup locations. They also spent a notable amount of time helping me locate a spare charger for free for my phone .

I also like how all the hotels suddenly turned off their filters and turned their lobby wireless back on as soon as PAX was over :lol

nexy

Neo Member
Whilst good that he's willing to patch it in, these are things that he should have ultimate confidence in if he's going to champion such a significant change. A member of the public shouldn't be able to go up and half convince the lead multiplayer designer that something might need to be changed post launch.

I don't think I swayed his decision making and that was not my intention.

More that his response was clarifying that he can unbreak potential shitty mechanics.

- Da Poon Killa

Havok

How many plasma pistols were fired at it or stickies thrown at it?

Players didn't know about the entire sandbox players can spawn with.
Sure, like I said to Unknown in my followup post, it might all end up being fine.

But plasma pistols and stickies on spawn don't stop the Scorpion in Invasion from being super annoying currently if it gets set up, and that's without the buffs they mentioned.

Did anyone get extended time with the sniper? Just wondering how the balance feels between it and all these primary rifles.
The Sniper has less auto aim than Reach so it is harder to use.

In terms of taking on primary weapons, it seems to work the same as past Halo games.

use the sniper when you have the drop, otherwise use your primary.

Overall I didn't feel like the sniper became any less relevant with the addition of all the primary weapons.

I would have said the same thing about having Scorpions in Invasion where the entire enemy team spawns with Plasma Pistols, but it's just as much of a clusterfuck as ever.

Yeh but usually with a primary as the Repeater and a Jetpack.. lol or something foolish like that. Now we make our own choices and won't have to be gimped in our loadouts in order to balance something ingame.

WOW that is seriously disappointing.. I miss the times of grabbing a flag when an entire enemy team is dead, mindfucking them by camping in the back of their base, waiting for the ample time to sneak out or get picked up in a vehicle as they rush out looking for you.. Halo 2 Containment was too fun for reasons like this.

Ken

Thoughts on armors:

FOTUS = Mordekaiser
CIO = ME3 Infiltrator class
Venator = Isaac Clarke
Gungir = A happy dolphin.
Oceanic = Really plain.
Air Assault = Kat.
Aviator = Crysis dude.
Defender = Shogmaster's avatar.
Enforcer = Jorge.

Akai__

I also did my best to explain that the new flag mechanics, although interesting, could severely ruin competitive matchmaking playlists for solo players.

Also, RIP flag juggling through Pit green box. :(

---

Frankie said, that we are able to strip down all settings to Halo 3 alike settings, right? Maybe this is one of those things, which can be stripped down.

FyreWulff

Yeh but usually with a primary as the Repeater.. lol or something foolish like that. Now we make our own choices and won't have to be gimped in our loadouts in order to balance something ingame.

WOW that is seriously disappointing.. I miss the times of grabbing a flag when an entire enemy team is dead, mindfucking them by camping in the back of their base, waiting for the ample time to sneak out or get picked up in a vehicle as they rush out looking for you.. Halo 2 Containment was too fun for reasons like this.

The mindfuck flag runs are the best. One of my favs was to come in with the rushing party and sit up on the top of the door in Rat's Nest on the second floor inside the base if it looked like the rush was going to fail. Defense team would think they got rid of everyone and would all run out the back and go attack our base, leaving me an open shot to grab the flag and run through the middle.

Once I get on the Sheraton internet again I'll write up some thoughts on the ctf changes

Holiday

Banned
The Sniper has less auto aim than Reach so it is harder to use.

In terms of taking on primary weapons, it seems to work the same as past Halo games.

use the sniper when you have the drop, otherwise use your primary.

Overall I didn't feel like the sniper became any less relevant with the addition of all the primary weapons.

That's all pretty good news. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom