• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I thought Halo 3's lobby was WAY better than Reach's... yes you could read each players name in Reach but wtf do I care how many challenges they've completed? You litterally had to drill down like 3 menus to gauge a players skill in Reach's lobby. As long as Halo 4's can give me some pertinant info about skill (K/D, Win/Loss) then I can live with the baseball card layout.

I actually agree with this as well. I didn't particularly care about most of the info on their stats with their spartan. The info there could be much more useful. The great part about Reach's roster was quick unintended awareness of what your friends were doing. When I log into reach nowadays with a few people on to go forge sometimes I feel the need to contact them cuz I see them on. With Halo 4 I have to want to pull up the roster first before I get that feeling. If I'm on to just forge then I probably won't pull up the roster which drastically pulls away from the amount of social time that occurs and social interaction is one of the things that makes Halo what it is. Halo CE LANs were about getting together with friends and that is what made it awesome for me.

willow ve

It's just a matter of using the space properly and intuitively. These menus have none of that.

But I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I wonder how much of these menus and layouts are doing double duty between HDTV screens and "project glass" tablet screens. It seems like a lot of the animations, sizing, placement, etc., is designed with fingers and thumbs in mind and not so much an HDTV screen 7 feet away.

Although this might just be part of a larger trend whereby a LOT of graphic design is now influenced by tablet and smartphone interactions.

How many loadouts can we have customized, 2? Anyway, I'll probably be going with these:

Primary
Autoturret OR Hologram / Light Rifle / Boltshot / Plasma Grenades / AA Efficiency / Ammo OR Dexterity
I'll have to see how much ammo the Prom Rifle/Prom Shot spawn with, if it's not enough then I'll use ammo. Honestly, Autoturret would only be so I could jump off it like a platform. Which reminds me: does the Autoturret bounce around like Halo 3's if you bump into it, or is it immovable?

Secondary (SUPER MLG PRO)
Regen Field OR Thruster / Battle Rifle / Storm Rifle / Frag Grenades / Firepower / Dexterity

Tertiary (BTB)
Hardlight Shield OR Jetpack / DMR / Plasma Pistol / Pulse Grenades / Grenadier / Stability OR Explosives
I figure being protected, having long-range AND anti-vehicle weapons, and spawning with two Pulse Grenades that now have a crazy larger range and being grenade-resistant is about as prepared for BTB as you can get.

As for armor, I've got limited, so I'll probably rock that awesome armor for a while. Orbital might be an option if it means I can blast Daft Punk through my speakers.

Striker

I thought Halo 3's lobby was WAY better than Reach's... yes you could read each players name in Reach but wtf do I care how many challenges they've completed? You litterally had to drill down like 3 menus to gauge a players skill in Reach's lobby. As long as Halo 4's can give me some pertinant info about skill (K/D, Win/Loss) then I can live with the baseball card layout.
Given the three games, 3's lobby has been the worst of the bunch. It gave out no real info on anything related to the game, or have an adequate Friends list bar. The Y Button and the Active Roster were massive reasons why those lobbies remained better, and 2's ability dealing out the gametype info was spot on - unfortunately they stopped doing that for whatever reason.

Reading the stuff people discovered in the videos, but I haven't discovered during playing the game, reminds me how much fun I had with the game.

FyreWulff

Awesome. One of my Halo clanmates just had the Red Lion throw out all their stuff an hour and a half before checkout.

Not just their trash.

All of their PAX swag and belongings.

All of it.

Fuck the Red Lion.

(I'm stuck in the Sheraton lobby until 7pm)

Such a monumental step back from Reach's lobby system. A couple artists running rampant are allowed to throwaway an iconic system. Crazy stuff.

Really pleased that in the space I previously could have seen 3 friends online via Active Roster, there's now just a spot that says YOU ARE ON RED TEAM. Maybe 343 can have the announcer tell me what team I'm on when I enter the lobby, too.

Agreed, I really can't say the new changes make much sense at all with the menu UI. It looks made for Kinect or something.

Are Commendations in Halo 4? I don't recall them being mentioned anywhere.

Good question, I hope they made it in, or at least something similar.

Awesome. One of my Halo clanmates just had the Red Lion throw out all their stuff an hour and a half before checkout.

Not just their trash.

All of it.

Fuck the Red Lion.

Wow, what... Why and how would that happen?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Not just their trash.

All of it.

Fuck the Red Lion.

I would do terrible things

FyreWulff

Agreed, I really can't say the new changes make much sense at all with the menu UI. It looks made for Kinect or something.

Good question, I hope they made it in, or at least something similar.

Wow, what... Why and how would that happen?

I dunno

http://twitter.com/snack_road/status/242681770779230208

http://twitter.com/briannemd/status/242680004868190209

http://twitter.com/Willeth/status/242683881709514753

I thought I had a bad PAX, what just happened there makes my shit look small time

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Not just their trash.

All of it.

Fuck the Red Lion.

ouch.

DesertFox

Given the three games, 3's lobby has been the worst of the bunch. It gave out no real info on anything related to the game, or have an adequate Friends list bar. The Y Button and the Active Roster were massive reasons why those lobbies remained better, and 2's ability dealing out the gametype info was spot on - unfortunately they stopped doing that for whatever reason.

Maybe nostalgia is blinding me, but I think the active roster is the only thing Reach does right. If we could have the active roster and lobby of Halo 2 I think that'd be the best of both worlds.

nillapuddin

PAX was amazing, loved hanging out with everyone. Now to spend the next to days exploring Seattle...

not trying to be a nag, but when you said you took a video that explored all of the menu options?

Did you mean cosmetics?
Not rushing you, just very excite to see that

GhaleonEB

The mancannons in Halo 4 seem to operate like the mancannons in Reach, sadly: propelling you in a safe, low, and deliberate way so as to avoid fall damage or any danger. Reach mancannons were not fun for these reasons. Halo 3's mancannons were fun because they launched you high into the air, exposed you to an element of danger (thereby adding risk and a bit of an adrenaline rush), and being able to land safely to engage in battle immediately.
I hadn't considered this in our conversation yesterday, but yeah. The kind of huge launches on Valhalla and Avalanche won't happen if fall damage is included in any way. Remove the jetpack, and you don't need to include fall damage at all to neuter it.

They best get their entire stay free; I would have the police there before I paid a cent to the hotel. What a terrible thing to do.

Homeboyd

This is what I was able to round up (mostly thanks to Cyren and THC folks, but some other sources in here as well). I know there are some more impressions I'm missing but as I mentioned previously, I was catching up on 30+ pages.. so if anyone else dropped some impressions here, please add. This should be helpful for those of us lttp and want a single list of content to go through;

Halo 4 - Media/Info Dump - PAX 2012

Halo 4 Panel
Halo Reborn - PAX Panel

Vidoc
Halo 4: A Hero Awakens - Vidoc
Gameplay & Cutscenes from the Vidoc (Only)

Gameplay

Haven
Haven Gameplay (Light Rifle/Hologram)
Haven Gameplay (Incinerator Canon)
Haven Gameplay (Binary Rifle) - @ 38s
Haven Gameplay w/ Walshy (+ loadout options)
Haven Gameplay (LightRifle)

Exile
CTF on Exile Gameplay
CTF on Exile Gameplay (Boltshot) - @ 18s
CTF on Exile Gameplay w/ Bravo (Light Rifle, Sniper, Thruster Pack)
20+ min CTF on Exile Gameplay w/ Nak3d Eli - Lots of new content
Halo Waypoint's Original Exile Gamplay Teaser
CTF on Exile Gameplay
HaloGAF vs 343 CTF on Exile Gameplay via Wu | HD Youtube Link
Exile Gameplay Mirror D/L Links (Plywood)
CTF on Exile Gameplay (Scorpion)

Demos
Oddball Demo on Exile
Grifball Demo in New Forge Environment*
*Grifball arena shown here is a small part of a new Forge environment

Forward Unto Dawn
New Halo 4 "Cryo" Video

Screenshots
Exile Screenshots I
Exile Screenshots II
In-game Roster Pic

Impressions
Time Glitch
Ghaleon (Part I - Movement, "Feel," Golden Tripod)
Ghaleon (Part II - AA's/Mods, New UI, Sound Design)
Heckfu

Gifs
Assassination
FOTUS Stick From the Grave
Plasma Pistol vs Ghost

Other
Halo 4 Helmets Poster
Mark VI Helmet (In-game) | Mark VI Helmet (In Menu)
Deadly Cyclone's PAX Pics I
Deadly Cyclone's PAX Pics II
Halo 4 AA's, Tactical Packages, and Support Upgrades
Kevin Grace and Kynan Pearson Interview at PAX
Xbox Press Site (Media Downloads)

*Will continue to update as I find more content.
Added some new videos, images & screenshots, impressions, gifs and "other" content. If someone posted some images or impressions from PAX that I don't have, please post here or PM me. This is an update of my old post so the old link should still work for the OP.

darthbob

It's definitely a shitty situation, however it looks like they're trying to make it right by checking their Twitter.

Not really sure what the value of the swag would be though. (literal value, not sentimental value)

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Thinking about the oddball throwing the more I love it, let's say I have it and someone coming towards me with a power weapon like the rockets, I put on Promethean Vision and see them come by the corner. I throw the ball right at the rocket guy feet or directly at him and he picks its up (if you played Halo 1 oddball you know how to "troll" with it) and then I can finish him off before he can drop/throw the oddball. Now I have rockets and the oddball.

thZvandaminator7lf.gif

feel

I like that lobby shot actually. Gotten used to the cards thing, looks very cool and makes the Spartans look like a big deal, and I really like the big picture of the map along the top. Hidden roster = sweet to me as long as it pops in and out super fast when you press X, hated seeing online friends and all their different colors constantly on screen.

Not just their trash.

All of it.

Fuck the Red Lion.

That's messed up. I hope your friends make a fuss about it, someone's gotta pay.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Not just their trash.

All of it.

Fuck the Red Lion.

Damn.

Looks like they found everything though, too bad they had to go digging for it.

IMG_5219.JPG

I really really hope they change this.

I don't want to have to tilt my head to read any information about the players.
It's really, really grown on me.

I just wish you could hit a button and it flips over and there's your fucking LEAGUES HISTORY, all your placements from the seasons you've played, with your k/d and your rank and oh shit you're an all-star now, son!

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

I just wish you could hit a button and it flips over and there's your fucking LEAGUES HISTORY, all your placements from the seasons you've played, with your k/d and your rank and oh shit you're an all-star now, son!

Reminds me of a line-up introduction on Monday Night Football, minus the players telling you what high school they came from.

Arnie

Again, it definitely helped push an advantage my way in several encounters. The pitch with armor mods has been that 1) they push you toward your preferred style of play, but 2) are not an absolute advantage and 3) help to self-balance by virtue of forgoing other mods for the ones you select. I didn't tinker too much, but I did settle into a very rapid play style using this combination. And it definitely helped me come out ahead of several firefights. I can't speak to most of the other stuff, but I thought they were as fun as they are worrying.

Now, take those kind of moments, and multiply them for everyone, and you can get a feel for how they will probably work. In every game, a fight or two will be nudged your way because of an option you picked at spawn. And everyone will likely have that happen, at least a couple of times, which will be enough to make them feel rewarded for unlocking their mod and using it, but not overpowering the match.

Maybe the fun will rule the day and all the hand wringing will be for naught, but I still came away from many fights feeling almost apologetic. Sorry dude, I picked the right mod! For that moment, anyway. They were not overpowering, but I'm still uncomfortable with this line having been crossed. Time will tell.

Fuck me.

Hearing this, and juxtaposing it with a conversation I had on here prior to Reach, about our very early impressions of Armour Abilities and how they might affect gameplay, just makes me shake my head.

On top of all my worries and complaints at how 343 has handled many things, this is most disturbing.

Please, please give us a classic playlist. And I've got the horrible feeling that any classic playlist in Halo is going to diverge further away from the vanilla experience than a reduction of bloom ever required.

Gui_PT

Of course one can't judge it without trying but it looks so... non-functional and cluttered.

That feature you mentioned would be great though

FyreWulff

Just got done eating at the Daily Grill for the last time. I now have 12$ to my name for the rest of my time in Seattle for the next two days.

Also we left the waiter some sort of hilarious tip, I think it was like 35%.

And yeah, it appears my clanmate recovered most of his stuff. Still, fuck the Red Lion. Some sort of procedure absolutely failed there.

Also, for the record, Frankie had a great joke about framerate and object count at the first HaloGAF dinner. I'll do a PAX writeup once I'm on a computer that I own. Got to say hi to Frankie, David, Deej and Jaime Griesemer while here. Sad that I somehow missed Max D but I guess I'll try to find him next time.

Too poor to buy $400 armor

Buy console, sell console for same price on ebay, profit break even

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Is 343 allowed to use any of Marty's Halo tracks for Halo 4? The last 45 seconds of 'Behold a Pale Horse' from Halo 3's OST would be a perfect piece of music to use during the last minute or so of any Halo 4 MP game as an audio cue to step it up.

heckfu

Banned
Finally landed in Chicago after the worst flight ever due to crying children and the fact I am massively hungover and sick.

Thanks a lot to the assholes who kept me drinking.

IHaveIce

Banned
any video showing the auto turret?
Search for Walshy's Video on Bravos YT account, he uses it at first. We don't see how good it is.
Just got done eating at the Daily Grill for the last time. I now have 12$ to my name for the rest of my time in Seattle for the next two days.

Also we left the waiter some sort of hilarious tip, I think it was like 35%.

And yeah, it appears my clanmate recovered most of his stuff. Still, fuck the Red Lion. Some sort of procedure absolutely failed there.

Also, for the record, Frankie had a great joke about framerate and object count at the first HaloGAF dinner. I'll do a PAX writeup once I'm on a computer that I own. Got to say hi to Frankie, David, Deej and Jaime Griesemer while here. Sad that I somehow missed Max D but I guess I'll try to find him next time.

Buy console, sell console for same price on ebay, profit break even
Glad they found the most stuff. Hope your Weekend wasn't that bad, shame that you didn't play Halo 4.

Is 343 allowed to use any of Marty's Halo tracks for Halo 4? The last 45 seconds of 'Behold a Pale Horse' from Halo 3's OST would be a perfect piece of music to use during the last minute or so of any Halo 4 MP game as an audio cue to step it up.
Good question, but I think even if they are allowed they want to use their own new stuff.

@All Pax goers, Hope you had a great time and thanks for all your write ups. Hope you got some swag, so I can be jealous.( Looking at you Hyper, you with your Hoodie)

heckfu

Banned
When we played games and didn't get the tank, it was gone in seconds.

When we played games and did get the tank, things like me getting a Rampage and Barrow getting an Inconceivable happen.

Top Bottom