• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

That would be so good. I loved Sandtrap. But I wouldn't mind Valhalla or Waterworks.

Bulletin might be a covenant/Promethean weapons video?

Never really liked Sandtrap as a playable space, but that map provided some of the funniest moments in MP, even recently.

Me: Where's their flag?
Teammate: At our base.
Me: Where's our elephant?
Teammate: In their base.

Lmao.

Never really liked Sandtrap as a playable space, but that map provided some of the funniest moments in MP, even recently.

Me: Where's their flag?
Teammate: At our base.
Me: Where's our elephant?
Teammate: In their base.

Lmao.

I've had so much fun on that map, also until recently. At the last 48hr lan we had, we set up an Elephant as the only hill point, with team minimum scoring on (player on least points in your team = your team score). It was amazing.

Easily the best Halo map to play whilst inebriated.

Blueblur1

I really hope it's not Sandtrap. It was easily the worst Halo 3 map, in my opinion. I rather play constant Orbital games than play a single Sandtrap match.

Caja 117

To those who have played Halo 4, is it possible to get a yoink or a Show stopper? Im loving the animation for the assassination, they are quick enough to actually make me want to always use them! Good job 343!

Regarding the remake, I hope they either do a Halo CE or Halo 2 map, I love those conversion from the previous Gen console to current one (Burial Mounds).

Breath in slowly...

Halo_Combat_Evolved-Death_Island.jpg

Exhale................................

Sup HaloGAF

Looking at this image gave me an idea. I loved Halo: CE, especially that level. It has different kinds of environments. The idea is inspired by Killzone 2, and MAG. If any of you guys are familiar with Killzone 2, you'll remember the Warzone multiplayer mode. Basically, you have different gametypes all in one match, one moment you're playing TDM, the other you're playing objectives. If you're familiar with MAG, you know that it has a huge player count, 128vs128. Not all of them at once though, in platoons.

My idea: How would you like it, if there were a lot of people playing in one map (like the image above), but separated into groups and every group having to play a different gametype. For example: You're playing a 32vs32 player match on one map. 8v8 are playing TDM, 8v8 are playing objectives, 8v8 are playing snipers and 8v8 are playing CTF. All in one map, at the same time, real-time. The effects of one gametype would be visible on the map. For example, if a part of your team does something in objectives, a part of the map blows up for everyone to see and open up new environments. Or if a part of your team is winning/ completes objectives, the other part of your team that is losing gets power ups as a result to the other part of your team winning. It's just a skribble, but I would personally love that kind of a game mode.

Thoughts?

Talents

Banned
I really hope it's not Sandtrap. It was easily the worst Halo 3 map, in my opinion. I rather play constant Orbital games than play a single Sandtrap match.

I wouldn't say it was the worst map for me, probably like 3rd worst, my worst was easily Valhalla, I hate that map so badly.

Sup HaloGAF

Looking at this image gave me an idea. I loved Halo: CE, especially that level. It has different kinds of environments. The idea is inspired by Killzone 2, and MAG. If any of you guys are familiar with Killzone 2, you'll remember the Warzone multiplayer mode. Basically, you have different gametypes all in one match, one moment you're playing TDM, the other you're playing objectives. If you're familiar with MAG, you know that it has a huge player count, 128vs128. Not all of them at once though, in platoons.

My idea: How would you like it, if there were a lot of people playing in one map (like the image above), but separated into groups and every group having to play a different gametype. For example: You're playing a 32vs32 player match on one map. 8v8 are playing TDM, 8v8 are playing objectives, 8v8 are playing snipers and 8v8 are playing CTF. All in one map, at the same time, real-time. The effects of one gametype would be visible on the map. For example, if a part of your team does something in objectives, a part of the map blows up for example for everyone to see. Or of a part of your team is winning/ completes objectives, the other part of your team that is losing gets power ups. It's just a skribble, but I would personally love that kind of a game mode.

Thoughts?

MP networking is O(n^2), in layman's terms having a 32v32 would require 256 times the amount of bandwidth required for 8v8.

MrBig

MP networking is O(n^2), in layman's terms having a 32v32 would require 256 times the amount of bandwidth required for 8v8.

Full player data would not be sent to everyone in the mode he described. Not workable in P2P though, you would need a dedicated host to process what to send to each player. Like how Planetside 2 has 2000 players per map but only the player data that is relevant is sent to the client from the server, which is made seamless due to scale, comparable to the segregation that he described.

TheOddOne

The effects of one gametype would be visible on the map. For example, if a part of your team does something in objectives, a part of the map blows up for everyone to see and open up new environments. Or if a part of your team is winning/ completes objectives, the other part of your team that is losing gets power ups as a result to the other part of your team winning. It's just a skribble, but I would personally love that kind of a game mode.

Thoughts?
In this part you’re kind of describing a variant of the mode “Invasion” in Reach. Did you play that mode?

TCKaos

Like the Japanese fans say, imagine the amount of fuss kicked up if they had replaced Steve Downes and Jen Taylor - I remember the reaction to Legends doing this and it's wasn't favourable.

Sucks for Japanese Halo fans.
All 12 of them with their horrible pings.

I am simply amazed at how much Cortana's Japanese VA sounds exactly like Jen Taylor. Like, it's kind of creepy.

I don't want valhalla, sandtrap, or any other Halo 3 map. I never had fun on sandtrap, and it would suffer the same DMR plague hemorrhage did.

Halo 2 BTB > Halo 3 BTB

I thought Kevin Franklin said that map hazards wouldn't be returning. Wouldn't that rule out Zanzibar, Terminal and Containment?

he also didn't know if you could crouch with the hardlight shield sooooo

WJD

Pre-ordering from shopto, which delivery method should I go for if I want Halo 4 delivered ASAP? I've gone with First Class (tracking) at the moment.

Full player data would not be sent to everyone in the mode he described. Not workable in P2P though, you would need a dedicated host to process what to send to each player. Like how Planetside 2 has 2000 players per map but only the player data that is relevant is sent to the client from the server, which is made seamless due to scale, comparable to the segregation that he described.

Halo is peer to peer. The host must send out all this data. Numbers aside, 32v32 is beyond infeasible in Halo.

Dedicated servers would help. I'm not familiar with the tech, but I suppose that could help. Separating the squads might also help. For example, you might never see the squad that is playing CTF, but you can see their actions/ triggered events.

In this part you’re kind of describing a variant of the mode “Invasion” in Reach. Did you play that mode?

I did play that mode and that mode reminds me of Unreal Tournaments Assault, but poorly executed. I didn't like Invasion because the maps felt really empty and the whole team was focussed on a single target. With the gamemode I described, there's TDM, Objectives, Snipers and CTF all going on in one match. The CTF squad of your team that is winning might help a TDM squad that is losing for example.

Tawpgun

So.

Pre order at gamestop or MS store?

P.S. MS stores are awesome as fuck, its like an apple store, but with more video games.

Dedicated servers would help. I'm not familiar with the tech, but I suppose that could help. Separating the squads might also help. For example, you might never see the squad that is playing CTF, but you can see their actions/ triggered events.
If it had dedicated servers it would be feasible, alas, it ain't.

Really? :( What's the reasoning behind this? I like the occasional map hazard, especially on BTB maps.

No reason provided. When asked he said something like "AAs, vehicles, etc will fill that void".

Haven & Exile, surely.
I have played Adrift, Haven & Exile and none of them were Reach-bad. Even far far away from that standard. But at the end only time judges if a map is bad or good.

Pre-ordering from shopto, which delivery method should I go for if I want Halo 4 delivered ASAP? I've gone with First Class (tracking) at the moment.
I haven't decided between Amazon.co.uk or ShopTo. I think I'll stick to Amazon.co.uk because I definitely know I'll get Halo 4 on Day 1.

If it had dedicated servers it would be feasible, alas, it ain't.

No reason provided. When asked he said something like "AAs, vehicles, etc will fill that void".

Maybe in the future or for Nextbox. I beleive something in the lines of that gamemode fit the Halo Sandbox and I would like to play it.

Or another idea, simply have 8 vs 8 (which is feasible given BTB) on a medium-big sized map which different game modes at once. For example, playing in a map with two flags (CTF), an Oddbal, objectives (Bomb). You score points by capturing the flag, holding onto the ball and completing objectives. On top of that, each kill you make during that map counts as a point. To keep it balanced, A flag capture could count for 20 kills or something.

Just some ideas. I'm bored.

I would love to pre order the game, but seeing as though we still don't know what's in the ltd edition I'm holding off. A nice simple chart explaining the price and what's in each edition including stuff like the map pack pass that can be brought separately would be the perfect way to let the consumer figure out what kind of package is best bang for buck. I guess 343 needs to keep that a secret though right? Lol

TheOddOne

I did play that mode and that mode reminds me of Unreal Tournaments Assault, but poorly executed. I didn't like Invasion because the maps felt really empty and the whole team was focussed on a single target. With the gamemode I described, there's TDM, Objectives, Snipers and CTF all going on in one match. The CTF squad of your team that is winning might help a TDM squad that is losing for example.
Your idea isn’t bad, but it feels a bit too busy. It could also take away maps from other modes, because the way you describe it a big custom built battlefield type map is needed.

Maybe in the future or for Nextbox. I beleive something in the lines of that gamemode fit the Halo Sandbox and I would like to play it.

Or another idea, simply have 8 vs 8 (which is feasible given BTB) on a medium-big sized map which different game modes at once. For example, playing in a map with two flags (CTF), an Oddbal, objectives (Bomb). You score points by capturing the flag, holding onto the ball and completing objectives. On top of that, each kill you make during that map counts as a point. To keep it balanced, A flag capture could count for 20 kills or something.

King capture the slayer?

It's actually a thing

Shadders

Don't blame me if it all goes wrong, but I've found you have a better chance of getting it early if you choose the free option. Whichever you pick they will try and get it to your for release day, so with the free one the ship it a few days early with the intention of it getting to you on the Tuesday, now as our postal service is pretty nifty this means it will often get there early. With the paid one they ship it on the Monday before because they know it will come on the Tuesday.

I ordered Anniversary from them, it was due out on Tuesday 15th, they dispatched on Thursday the 10th, I received on Friday 11th. Win. If I'd selected the paid delivery they wouldn't have shipped it until Monday 14th.

This could all be blown apart if Microsoft put any rules in place against shipping it out early (Acti do this with CoD which is why ShopTo got in a hissy fit last year and said they wouldn't sell it any more, they've backtracked now).

I really would like to see maps like Sidewinder and Zanzibar re imagined in different location.

Sidewinder in a grassy canyon and Zanzibar in a frozen tundra.

willow ve

You can't count kills in objective games. That's the only way to make people play the objective and not just treat the game as endless slayer.

In other news, I wonder how drop in / drop out will affect lopsided matches. I would bet in matchmaking you will see a LOT of games that simply end because the entire team quits out almost simultaneously. Imagine being spawn trapped on Hemorrhage 2 Flag by a full party of 8. With no penalty I'll quit out of that game almost as soon as it starts. In Reach I'll stick it out and try to go positive in K/D.

Conor 419

Banned
What?

Out of Shopto/Play/Amazon, you are the least likely to get it day one from Amazon, and the most likely to get it before day one from Shopto

Also - Sand Trap is no way the worst Halo 3 map, it's one of the best BTB maps in the series' history.

Fuchsdh

I really would like to see maps like Sidewinder and Zanzibar re imagined in different location.

Sidewinder in a grassy canyon and Zanzibar in a frozen tundra.
Agreed. I was sad Forge World didn't have a snowy section, and I'd love remakes that give artists more leeway.

Beckx

Out of Shopto/Play/Amazon, you are the least likely to get it day one from Amazon, and the most likely to get it before day one from Shopto

This is one of those personal experience things. My only time ordering from Shopto I had an issue getting the product, but it all turned out well. I would say if you're not in the UK, amazon is more *generally* reliable.

Also, they are amazing. I ordered two blu-rays from Amazon.jp Saturday and they were here yesterday. Meanwhile the US Postal Service hasn't managed to get a completely internal package to me in twice the time.

Agreed. I was sad Forge World didn't have a snowy section, and I'd love remakes that give artists more leeway.

It's been said before, but we must have snow maps in H4. It's one of my big gripes with Reach's aesthetic: no snowy locations.

I live in the UK so I'm not sure about overseas shipping -- but it seems common knowledge over here that ShopTo is the best for getting games early. Amazon, on the other hand, tend to play by the rules. So I'm pretty sure you're less likely to get the game early from them, although they're the biggest and most generally reliable online retailer.

Top Bottom