• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Shadders

I didn't get that out of what you said, it wasn't exactly clear to me (or others). In any regard I appreciate your time and I'm aware you're busy as hell.

Thanks again.

In fairness to Frank, I was totally baffled by the question you asked him. It's only because I've seen you talking about it for the last day or so that I knew what you were on about.

I don't know if you saw, but I posted earlier with a direct quote from the press release for the Limited Edition? It definitely says the Recruit armour is exclusive to the LE.

*NEW* Exclusive digital content through Xbox LIVE:

o Spartan-IV “Recruit” In-Game Armour

o Spartan-IV “Prime” In-Game Armour Skin

o Assault Rifle “Prime” In-Game Weapon Skin

o “Prime” In-Game Emblem

o Xbox LIVE Avatar “Recruit” Armour

o Cryo-Tube Xbox LIVE Avatar Prop

That's direct from the press release.

Woorloog

Banned
I love steizer, but I don't need him yelling in my ear to let me know I've walked 5 steps

How about him yelling "LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT" whenever you walk forward?
And other appropiate yells for other movement. Gotta keep up that military feel after all.

How the hell are you guys achieving that while managing to keep the Halo feature set the franchise is known for?

Black magic? Voodoo? Witchcraft?
Human sacrifice. Halo purists were sacrificed.

(Repost, because I miss the banshee alot.)

Having dug up some footage on youtube, I can't help but be sad that the H4 banshee is so similar to its predecessor.

Part of what made the banshee so fun to use pre-Reach is the fact that it was so small and mobile and practically impervious to small arms.

If it was slightly overpowered, that could easily have been fixed with the removal of the fuel rod -- the plasma cannons were perfectly powerful, they'd still be fun to use, and it would be slightly easier for the opposition to deal with. They could have had the cannons overheat after 5s of fire, and it would still have been super fun. Hell, you coulda taken away the flips!

Instead, with Reach and H4, they've (if anything) ramped up the damage while reducing the mobility. The only way to get around in H4 safely seems to be when you flip constantly... that shift in movement emphasis makes it even more annoying for the opposition while arguably making it less fun to use.

The fact it gets ravaged by small arms does not take away from the fact that it;s still more annoying to deal with than it was pre-Reach -- and if it really did need to be nerfed, removing the fuel rods would clearly have been the best way to do that.

tldr; less fun to use, more annoying to deal with... the worst of both worlds.

Why not introduce a new banshee, 343? Bungie did it with the hornet in H3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
In fairness to Frank, I was totally baffled by the question you asked him. It's only because I've seen you talking about it for the last day or so that I knew what you were on about.

I don't know if you saw, but I posted earlier with a direct quote from the press release for the Limited Edition? It definitely says the Recruit armour is exclusive to the LE.

That's direct from the press release.

You missed the whole thing yesterday, but there's definitely cause to not "believe" that press release anymore (things change). It's the first skin in the Pax demo, it's name is "recruit" there's a recruit pose, other retailers aren't listing it that way, etc (more reasons). I don't wanna keep shitting up this thread with this discussion, so I'll leave it at this. I'm just glad Frankie is looking into it for us.

How about him yelling "LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT" whenever you walk forward?
And other appropiate yells for other movement. Gotta keep up that military feel after all.

You don't yell "left, right, left, right in the military.

Here is proper cadence. And the "call/beat" is always on the right step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t98kmvWuexg

Sorry, you made the NCO in me cringe.

Wizman23

Banned
Does anyone know if scoring and medals are in for campaign and Spartan Ops? I love turning those on just for the fact that you know if you got a kill. If they are not at least the hit markers will help. I love hit markers in COD and Battlefield glad they are making there way to Halo.

Fuchsdh

Does anyone know if scoring and medals are in for campaign and Spartan Ops? I love turning those on just for the fact that you know if you got a kill. If they are not at least the hit markers will help. I love hit markers in COD and Battlefield glad they are making there way to Halo.
I imagine meta game is in. I agree, on higher difficulties knowing I took down an Elite is really useful info.

Karl2177

Hope some folks will enjoy some reading.

Interesting read.

Spoilers regarding the Ancient Evil:
It is quite interesting that 343i is trying to hint at Didact being the bad guy. Is it possible that one of the Didacts is an evil that we fight in Halo 4, but not the big one(saving the actual fight until later)?

Ramirez

Hasn't Steitzer always told you when you picked up an objective? Flag taken is no different than carrying flag, it's better since flag taken is pretty similar to flag stolen for the lessers of the world. Just seems like complaining for the sake of it to me. The text popups are no worse than COD and Ive never been distracted by them on there, I dont see it being any different here personally.

From the latest footage the gameplay looks excellent on the surface. A couple of the videos Cyren posted yesterday reignited a bit of hype for me. It does look like they've got the gunplay right which is huge.

A lot still rankles however. When someone on here spoke of a 'generic kill' white text I thought it was satire. I can't believe that's real.

I doubt I'll ever think that the new CTF is superior to the regular CTF. Don't care if I haven't played it. Regular CTF is dynamic: you can choose to pick up the flag or not, you can choose to drop it if you need to, you can choose to be stealthy if you like or you can choose to juggle it to gain speed at the expense of being clandestine. Player choice, multiple options. But hey guys, now you can finally be a badass while carrying the flag cause guess what? We gave you a high bloom, 6 shot pistol with an 8 bullet chamber! And music! And a giant target on your head to let the enemy know where you are at all times! Yea I'm not buying the new CTF.

Still, despite the negativity and reservations on many areas of the game, just watching a half decent player play the game allays a lot of fears. Hopefully 343 are hasty with their TU's because there's bound to be things that throw MM once discovered then abused.

pJlXT.png
It's... beautiful :'D

Edit: any new quality vids I missed?

Interesting read.

Spoilers regarding the Ancient Evil:
It is quite interesting that 343i is trying to hint at Didact being the bad guy. Is it possible that one of the Didacts is an evil that we fight in Halo 4, but not the big one(saving the actual fight until later)?

so now there are two Didacts, when? Where is the librarian?

Karl2177

so now there are two Didacts, when? Where is the librarian?

Spoilers regarding the Didact and Librarian characters:
During the events of Halo 4, the Librarian is assumed to be on dead on Earth. (Which makes me think it could be interesting if ONI has something to do with her) There are two Didacts, the original body and the Bornstellar Didact. The original body is presumed dead by the hands of the Master Builder, but it is also hinted that he is on a Flood infested world during Silentium. The Bornstellar Didact's location is unknown (or I'm just not remembering it).

Hasn't Steitzer always told you when you picked up an objective? Flag taken is no different than carrying flag, it's better since flag taken is pretty similar to flag stolen for the lessers of the world. Just seems like complaining for the sake of it to me. The text popups are no worse than COD and Ive never been distracted by them on there, I dont see it being any different here personally.
This may be the underlying issue for me; I've never played the multiplayer and haven't been exposed to it to such a high degree. However, my problem is really with the redundancy of it all and how much greater it seems than any other Halo game. Grab the flag, and you get

1. announcement of "YOU HAVE THE FLAG"
  2. text in the middle of the screen, "YOU HAVE THE FLAG"
  3. epic music cue when you grab the flag
  4. huge visual cue of flag in one hand, pistol in the other

No one really needs four different indicators to tell them something so basic. Pair any one of the first three items with number 4 and it would be just fine (I'd personally take the music, 'cause it's awesome).

Myyke

Neo Member
I remember that time when Steitzer broke when Elzar and I were playing a game of oddball on Reflection.

BALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPED (for about 2 mins).

At least it thoroughly prepared us for Halo 4 lolol.

feel

This post was brought to you by 7-Eleven, "Oh thank heaven for 7-Eleven"

;)

Ramirez

This may be the underlying issue for me; I've never played the multiplayer and haven't been exposed to it to such a high degree. However, my problem is really with the redundancy of it all and how much greater it seems than any other Halo game. Grab the flag, and you get

1. announcement of "YOU HAVE THE FLAG"
  2. text in the middle of the screen, "YOU HAVE THE FLAG"
  3. epic music cue when you grab the flag
  4. huge visual cue of flag in one hand, pistol in the other

No one really needs four different indicators to tell them something so basic. Pair any one of the first three items with number 4 and it would be just fine (I'd personally take the music, 'cause it's awesome).

The announcer has always announced when you pick it up, and there has always been text in the bottom middle telling you about the status ov your flags. I've seen people in this thread complain about how confusing the UI is in objective games at times. If people in here struggle how do you think the average player does? 343 has simplified everything for good reason, IMO.

Is that an insult Letters? I don't get it.

I remember that time when Steitzer broke when Elzar and I were playing a game of oddball on Reflection.

BALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPEDBALLTAKENBALLDROPPED (for about 2 mins).

At least it thoroughly prepared us for Halo 4 lolol.

That was amazing, caused by lag. I still remember the laughter.

GhaleonEB

The announcer has always announced when you pick it up, and there has always been text in the bottom middle telling you about the status ov your flags. I've seen people in this thread complain about how confusing the UI is in objective games at times. If people in here struggle how do you think the average player does? 343 has simplified everything for good reason, IMO.

That's the flip side to all this. I think things like the bonanza when you touch the flag and scoop it up is a bit much. But if it also helps make the game more accessible, and so objectives like CTF grow more popular, and thus voted for more frequently? I'm okay with that.

So while I critique the implementation, I'm glad the effort has been put toward making CTF and objectives more accessible, since that's what I want to play. And if it's successful, I think these things will fade and we'll just be happy to be playing CTF with greater frequency.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ah, one thing I forgot to tell you all after chatting with Jessica Sunday. She noted that due to the panel technical difficulties they didn't get to talk about everything they wanted, so there will be a bunch in the bulletin about that stuff.

Also she confirmed with Frank that a Q&A will be happening in the next bulletin.

feel

Oh, a slurp joke, heh.

Level headed, non knee jerk reactions are slurping, right.
Dude how could you have missed the smiley on the spoiler tag. I've been "slurping" pretty hard these past few days myself, I'm feeling suddenly hyped about Halo 4 mp.

For the map remake... it is weird that there was originally talk of no remake. And then there is talk of a remake... hmmm. And it is big.... and there will be little drama over it... hmmm.

IT'S SANDBOX!! lol... a forge map that doesn't take the slot of one of the 10 maps. A map that is ridiculously large with its three layers. And a map that can be considered a not playable remake, but later be considered a forge remake. A map that opens up possibilities (especially with the new lighting system)... *shivers in glee*) and doesn't take away a chance to get a 10th new map would definitely be a map of little drama. :)

Der Flatulator said:

Hehehe... how can you study that when it is obviously inspiration for a new map layout for Halo 4? ;)

Will that 5 DLC bug with reach come into effect in Halo 4.

If i redeem both the LE content and the Console Content aswell as the War Games Pass thats 3 (or more?).

Wonder how SpOps will work, Is it downloaded from the XBLMP or is it a in game token.

Either way its going to be over 5 downloads.

I certainly appreciate how 343 is trying to make CTF a more streamlined game that's accessible to more people, and the point you make is a great one. My argument is that it's possible that 343 went a bit too far with some of it, which to your point is more admirable than doing less to promote the gametype.

That's the flip side to all this. I think things like the bonanza when you touch the flag and scoop it up is a bit much. But if it also helps make the game more accessible, and so objectives like CTF grow more popular, and thus voted for more frequently? I'm okay with that.

So while I critique the implementation, I'm glad the effort has been put toward making CTF and objectives more accessible, since that's what I want to play. And if it's successful, I think these things will fade and we'll just be happy to be playing CTF with greater frequency.
How can you say things better than me, aren't you at work too?

GhaleonEB

How can you say things better than me, aren't you at work too?

Hah. I'm actually working from home this morning, fighting off a bug I picked up at PAX. Something about mingling with 60,000 people for a few days has created an annual tradition of post-PAX illness. Gonna try and man up and head in after a lunch time nap.

Which means I can post while in meetings, woo!

Are you implying a correlation between data flow in memory and path flow in an FPS?

Correlation exists in the depth of our circulatory system, the roots of a tree, and the creation of rivers, young one. Then again the lack of circular movement wouldn't play very well... minus the circular movement of blood flow as that is just really long paths of branching before circling back.

Circuitry isn't a bad influence as long as you can break the monotony of 90 degree angles and the occasional 45 degree angle. Stack a boxed section of that pic and the rotate and offset each layer to create interesting junctions and you've got yourself an inspiring start. Then go through and taper some of the 90 degree corners with a different angle. Follow it up by adding a bit of path branching for the longer paths and then you have the start of a pathmap for a something that can be modified for gameplay. ;)

Correlation exists in the depth of our circulatory system, the roots of a tree, and the creation of rivers, young one. Then again the lack of circular movement wouldn't play very well... minus the circular movement of blood flow as that is just really long paths of branching before circling back.

Circuitry isn't a bad influence as long as you can break the monotony of 90 degree angles and the occasional 45 degree angle. Stack a boxed section of that pic and the rotate and offset each layer to create interesting junctions and you've got yourself an inspiring start. Then go through and taper some of the 90 degree corners with a different angle. Follow it up by adding a bit of path branching for the longer paths and then you have the start of a pathmap for a something that can be modified for gameplay. ;)

The map shall be called Flip Flop!

To the whiteboard! (I wish I had a blackboard.)

darthbob

Will that 5 DLC bug with reach come into effect in Halo 4.

If i redeem both the LE content and the Console Content aswell as the War Games Pass thats 3 (or more?).

Wonder how SpOps will work, Is it downloaded from the XBLMP or is it a in game token.

Either way its going to be over 5 downloads.

I don't see why that bug from Reach would be present in Halo 4. I mean, it was a pretty serious bug after all.

Hah. I'm actually working from home this morning, fighting off a bug I picked up at PAX. Something about mingling with 60,000 people for a few days has created an annual tradition of post-PAX illness. Gonna try and man up and head in after a lunch time nap.

Eh that sucks, hope you feel better man.

Surprisingly this is the first year that I haven't ended up sick after going to PAX.

Ah, the dreaded Nerd Flu; sorry to hear that. I'm actually kind of surprised I never caught anything from the RTX party, but then again I was kind of tempered in alcohol. ;-)

I wonder how the 343 are able to hold it off, I'm sure they meet with and come in contact with tons of people at these events.

The map shall be called Flip Flop!

To the whiteboard! (I wish I had a blackboard.)

I need to get me a giant whiteboard for next to my bed when I get interesting ideas from my laying in bed process. ;) It would be quite handy for continual map development in H4 for to keep improving my skillset. Btw Flat you need to jump online so I can show you what I've been working on as of late. The rest of the crew has seen it. :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's called PAXPox. It is real and it's annual. Use hand sanitizer and don't yiff anything you haven't swabbed.

Top Bottom