• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

L1NETT

I live in the UK so I'm not sure about overseas shipping -- but it seems common knowledge over here that ShopTo is the best for getting games early. Amazon, on the other hand, tend to play by the rules. So I'm pretty sure you're less likely to get the game early from them, although they're the biggest and most generally reliable online retailer.

I haven't preordered yet.

Shopto or Play.com? Not sure really, or I am just pick up the LE Day 1.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Exile kinda fills the Coag/Valhalla role environment wise. Longbow does the snow.

Terminal? Its not small...

They wouldn't make two similar environment big maps would they?

I guess Sandtrap is a possibility but eww.

Snow is purely aesthetic though. Longbow isn't exactly like anything else. I have had a hard time comparing it easily. It's simple to say what games it works with but it's an unusual mix of vertical and circuit spaces. In some ways it's like a less dominating High Ground I suppose - in that no side has a speific advantage, but that vertical cross map gameplay emerges naturally in the map - and pushes teams around it.

Snow is purely aesthetic though. Longbow isn't exactly like anything else. I have had a hard time comparing it easily. It's simple to say what games it works with but it's an unusual mix of vertical and circuit spaces. In some ways it's like a less dominating High Ground I suppose - in that no side has a speific advantage, but that vertical cross map gameplay emerges naturally in the map - and pushes teams around it.

Id like more maps that move players around naturally like this and ignore a more static attack/defend approach.

Fuchsdh

Siderwinder is easily in my top 5 maps from the entire series.
What I appreciate about that map is vehicles dominate the open areas, but they're also exposed. Infantry units don't have to venture out into the same areas, so there's equal playing areas for everyone.

What I appreciate about that map is vehicles dominate the open areas, but they're also exposed. Infantry units don't have to venture out into the same areas, so there's equal playing areas for everyone.

The raised section in the centre and on the outsides nullifies vehicles to and extent so it create great vantage points to snipe out a warthog gunner. It allows Both Vehicle and Player combat without damaging either and also allows interaction between both groups.

More maps should aspire to fill both roles especially those destined for BTB. Maps like Valhalla fall down in the regard because vehicles dominate too much and with maps like Headlong also suffer because of the lack of decent space for anything but a banshee to excel.

On a semi related note i think a Larger version of High Ground built with the intention of BTB could be wonderful.

Finally caught up. I was extremely interested to hear impressions from the PAX crew, and I'm really happy to know that they enjoyed playing the game (spawn killing aside) as much as I did, and it makes me really hyped to wish for the next couple of months to go by as quickly as possible.

Having said that...

I've watched the direct feed CTF footage a couple of times, and I have to say that the constant announcer chatter is annoying as hell. At least in games like Unreal Tournament, there were several different teammate voices that essentially told you the same things: flag pickup, enemy in the base, enemy has the flag, etc.; it didn't come across as too much information. Having one person doing this (all the time) in some sort of choppy commentary is really overdoing it. I'm not a great player by any stretch, but I really don't need to be told that I'm carrying the flag when I can see the damned thing in my hand (which now makes the power weapon I had strapped to my back for a solo flag run completely worthless. Is there at least a 'swap weapons with teammate' function like in the campaign or in Gears MP? No? Maybe next time.). Watching that CTF video for the first time, I felt like the extra dialog and visual queues were the result of some marketing process whereby they grabbed a bunch of people who at one point played some videogames at Dave & Busters, threw them into a stripped down CTF match, took notes on everything they were confused by, and added it to the game. Isn't the fact that I now have the flag in one hand, a dimensional pocket pistol in the other, and cool music start as I begin my flag run enough information? Nope, I need to be told YOU HAVE THE FLAG, like I'm somehow suddenly stricken blind right before the game started. What I should really be told is the YOU NOW HAVE A PISTOL, because that actually came out of fucking nowhere.

Please don't make me hate Jeff Steitzer's work, 343. I don't need to hear him yell at me that I've scored an assassination, or that I have the Oddball, or the Flag, or anything else that I can see for myself. I'm a big boy, I don't need to be coddled.

Fuchsdh

Finally caught up. I was extremely interested to hear impressions from the PAX crew, and I'm really happy to know that they enjoyed playing the game (spawn killing aside) as much as I did, and it makes me really hyped to wish for the next couple of months to go by as quickly as possible.

Having said that...

I've watched the direct feed CTF footage a couple of times, and I have to say that the constant announcer chatter is annoying as hell. At least in games like Unreal Tournament, there were several different teammate voices that essentially told you the same things: flag pickup, enemy in the base, enemy has the flag, etc.; it didn't come across as too much information. Having one person doing this (all the time) in some sort of choppy commentary is really overdoing it. I'm not a great player by any stretch, but I really don't need to be told that I'm carrying the flag when I can see the damned thing in my hand (which now makes the power weapon I had strapped to my back for a solo flag run completely worthless. Is there at least a 'swap weapons with teammate' function like in the campaign or in Gears MP? No? Maybe next time.). Watching that CTF video for the first time, I felt like the extra dialog and visual queues were the result of some marketing process whereby they grabbed a bunch of people who at one point played some videogames at Dave & Busters, threw them into a stripped down CTF match, took notes on everything they were confused by, and added it to the game. Isn't the fact that I now have the flag in one hand, a dimensional pocket pistol in the other, and cool music start as I begin my flag run enough information? Nope, I need to be told YOU HAVE THE FLAG, like I'm somehow suddenly stricken blind right before the game started. What I should really be told is the YOU NOW HAVE A PISTOL, because that actually came out of fucking nowhere.

Please don't make me hate Jeff Steitzer's work, 343. I don't need to hear him yell at me that I've scored an assassination, or that I have the Oddball, or the Flag, or anything else that I can see for myself. I'm a big boy, I don't need to be coddled.
^please make it toggleable. We vets dont need it.

I think or hope 343i is following the same policy like they did with Anniversary: Maps which had already an HD remake(in Halo 3 or Reach) won't get another one.

Shadders

Of all the suggestions I think Avalanche would be the least controversial remake. Or least drama, as Frankie put it.

I'm thinking it won't be Valhalla after that comment about the map historically not working in 4v4, that's not something I'd have said about Valhalla.

Having said that...

I am honest with you. Believe it or do it not, but during the matches I did not even notice the "constant announcer chatter". Hell the first time I heard the stuff was when I saw a video. I think the most of the PAX HaloGAF group shares my opinion.

GhaleonEB

Having said that...

There really is too much commentary. And add to this the number of medals that are announced in Halo 4 that simply popped in Reach (Headcase and Assassination are announced now, as well as stuff like Distraction), and the announcer seems to be talking at least twice as much. I found it especially bothersome because there's also a significant increase in visual icons and way points to absorb, as well as an overall increase in audio to absorb (louder foot steps, suit rustling, etc.).

Too much information, and it gets in the way of combat at times.
I am honest with you. Believe it or do it not, but during the matches I did not even notice the "constant announcer chatter". Hell the first time I heard the stuff was when I saw a video. I think the most of the PAX HaloGAF group shares my opinion.

I found it excessive in my first game.

It's not game breaking or anything. It's just too busy for its own good.

Beckx

Why does the announcer say LONG BOMB when you pass the oddball to a teammate?

That's kind of awesome, though. I wish we could have longer tags, I'd use PLNKTT for oddball. :D

Hey Frankie - can the cosmetic options in the game be unlocked by campaign play (or other game activity that doesn't require gold)?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There really is too much commentary. And add to this the number of medals that are announced in Halo 4 that simply popped in Reach (Headcase and Assassination are announced now, as well as stuff like Distraction), and the announcer seems to be talking at least twice as much. I found it especially bothersome because there's also a significant increase in visual icons and way points to absorb, as well as an overall increase in audio to absorb (louder foot steps, suit rustling, etc.).

These things make me happy.

I noticed medals no longer show up though, I'd rather have those on screen like in previous games than the text in the middle, but I guess something had to go with all the shit on screen.

kylej

Banned
I contend that most of the changes to the game would not be an issue if we had alternative options, but Halo devs seem to be universally opposed to any form of option at all. Make the white text an option. Make the announcer an option. Make more control schemes. Let me change the color of my HUD. Let me change the side the kill feed is on. You cannot sit there and trumpet your character customization and gun camo as being all about player choice while simultaneously having the same amount of sound and visual options as a SNES game.

If I do not like a small aesthetic or audible change, and if disabling it would have zero impact on the enjoyment of anyone else in my party or on the other team, I should be able to change it.

I thought it was strange in the first game but afterwards? No. I did not pay attention to it anymore.

The thing I disliked is: Halo 4 is "oversounded". The sounds are not bad. No it's the opposite. It sounds incredible but the game has too much sound effects. If I move the main turret of the Scorpion, it makes a sound. It felt artificial, too, because it overlayed the sound effects of other things. Therefore I think it is still going to be fixed.
Still through the sound effects, 343i accomplishes what many fans always wanted: It feels like you are controlling a Spartan.

Myyke

Neo Member
I would love to pre order the game, but seeing as though we still don't know what's in the ltd edition I'm holding off. A nice simple chart explaining the price and what's in each edition including stuff like the map pack pass that can be brought separately would be the perfect way to let the consumer figure out what kind of package is best bang for buck. I guess 343 needs to keep that a secret though right? Lol

Bobs, I've seen you post this (or words to this effect) a few times, but not really sure what you mean mate. I thought the Ltd edition contents had been unveiled ages ago?.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I thought the medal thing at pax was a bug?

Oh, I did not hear that.

I would love to pre order the game, but seeing as though we still don't know what's in the ltd edition I'm holding off. A nice simple chart explaining the price and what's in each edition including stuff like the map pack pass that can be brought separately would be the perfect way to let the consumer figure out what kind of package is best bang for buck. I guess 343 needs to keep that a secret though right? Lol

Yeah, I tried getting this cleared up yesterday, frank answered, but his answer was vague as hell whether intentionally or accidentally.

Fotos

You would still make my day if you gave us the first letter of the map... or which game

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

The Forerunner trilogy of books explores the story of the fall of the Forerunners and the story of the Librarian and Didact, expanding on fiction originally found in Halo 3's Terminals. As the story is now being fleshed out in these novels, DangerousDave takes a comparative look between the novels and their original source material.

Hope some folks will enjoy some reading.

Yeah, I tried getting this cleared up yesterday, frank answered, but his answer was vague as hell whether intentionally or accidentally.

jF3NC.gif

GhaleonEB

I thought it was strange in the first game but afterwards? No. I did not pay attention to it anymore.

The thing I disliked is: Halo 4 is "oversounded". The sounds are not bad. No it's the opposite. It sounds incredible but the game has too much sound effects. If I move the main turret of the Scorpion, it makes a sound. It felt artificial, too, because it overlayed the sound effects of other things. Therefore I think it is still going to be fixed.
Still through the sound effects, 343i accomplishes what many fans always wanted: It feels like you are controlling a Spartan.

For me it wasn't really a constant thing, but circumstantial. In particular, when there was heavy firefighting, or several Spartans in small area in combat, all the added oomph to the footsteps and movement compounded with the forceful gunfire and added medals announced to become overpowering to me. I had to focus harder to filter down to the bits that I cared about, such as footsteps from behind, or the sound of grenades landing, which were not as distinct as they were in games past; they had more audio to fight through.

Oh, I did not hear that.

Yeah, it was a bug in the PAX build. Medals will still pop in the final game.

feel

I contend that most of the changes to the game would not be an issue if we had alternative options, but Halo devs seem to be universally opposed to any form of option at all. Make the white text an option. Make the announcer an option. Make more control schemes. Let me change the color of my HUD. Let me change the side the kill feed is on. You cannot sit there and trumpet your character customization and gun camo as being all about player choice while simultaneously having the same amount of sound and visual options as a SNES game.

If I do not like a small aesthetic or audible change, and if disabling it would have zero impact on the enjoyment of anyone else in my party or on the other team, I should be able to change it.
They can't go hurting the feelings of the UI guys that slaved over many sleepless nights designing all that stuff by including some toggles. Nevermind that you're the paying customer that will actually play this for years, think of how THEY feel.

I know what you're getting at, because the text didn't bother me at RTX. I haven't liked what I've heard from Steitzer this time around, which makes me kind of sad. When you compound that with hearing it at every moment of the game, it gets me irritated. Hopefully it's something I can eventually overlook.

Yes, exactly. I feel like I'm being beat over the head with information that I'm quite capable of getting from other, more subtle audio/visual cues.

Especially for the text, because it really seems like that is meant for players that are coming from no real experience with Halo. Something along the lines of this would be great:

Are you a Halo veteran? [YES] NO - middle of the screen text is disabled, no redundant voiceover work where the same information can be gleaned from a medal

Are you a Halo veteran? YES [NO] - PAX footage as-is.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh, I did not hear that.

No it wasn't. I said I was going to find out what the answer is. As you can imagine, I'm sure, it is quite busy around here for the next few weeks.

Having dug up some footage on youtube, I can't help but be sad that the H4 banshee is so similar to its predecessor.

Part of what made the banshee so fun to use pre-Reach is the fact that it was so small and mobile and practically impervious to small arms.

If it was slightly overpowered, that could easily have been fixed with the removal of the fuel rod -- the plasma cannons were perfectly powerful, they'd still be fun to use, and it would be slightly easier for the opposition to deal with. They could have had the cannons overheat after 5s of fire, and it would still have been super fun.

Instead, with Reach and H4, they've (if anything) ramped up the damage while reducing the mobility. The only way to get around in H4 safely seems to be when you flip constantly... that shift in movement emphasis makes it even more annoying for the opposition while arguably making it less fun to use.

The fact it gets ravaged by small arms does not take away from the fact that it;s still more annoying to deal with than it was pre-Reach -- and if it really did need to be nerfed, removing the fuel rods would clearly have been the best way to do that.

tldr; the banshee's less fun to use, more annoying to deal with... the worst of both worlds imho.

Why not introduce a new banshee, 343? Bungie did it with the hornet in H3.

I haven't preordered yet.

Shopto or Play.com? Not sure really, or I am just pick up the LE Day 1.
I'd say Shopto, you're most likely to get the game early.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No it wasn't. I said I was going to find out what the answer is. As you can imagine, I'm sure, it is quite busy around here for the next few weeks.

I didn't get that out of what you said, it wasn't exactly clear to me (or others). In any regard I appreciate your time and I'm aware you're busy as hell.

Thanks again.

Especially for the text, because it really seems like that is meant for players that are coming from no real experience with Halo. Something along the lines of this would be great:

Are you a Halo veteran? [YES] NO - middle of the screen text is disabled, no redundant voiceover work where the same information can be gleaned from a medal

Are you a Halo veteran? YES [NO] - PAX footage as-is.

Do you play Halo?

Do you play Call of Duty?

edit: uh oh top of the page

I love steizer, but I don't need him yelling in my ear to let me know I've walked 5 steps

Satchel

Banned
Hey folks. Was beckoned here by a regular so here I am.

Keep forgetting these OTs are in community.

Everything is looking sweet Frankie. ESPECIALLY the lack of ridiculous online achievements. Almost the best change in Halo 4 outside the best on consoles visuals.

How the hell are you guys achieving that while managing to keep the Halo feature set the franchise is known for?

Black magic? Voodoo? Witchcraft?

Top Bottom