• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Computron

If you take the Halo 3 BR (the most used weapon in Halo 3) and put it in Halo 4 exactly how it was, do you think anyone would use it?

Are you kidding me? With Halo 4's networking and this I would die happy.

Although they would have to remove the DMR, and probably the carbine, or limit their range somehow to make it fit the way I think I want it. I would love to have the option to try that at least.

Karl2177

Ok so sticking with that train of thought how would that make the sword play any better? All that would lead to is a sword user camping far more than usual. Hell it would make you choose camo over thruster pack. You wouldn't have much choice except to wait behind a corner for someone to come to you.

At least this way the sword user may be ballsy enough to run out, take shots, die and pass the sword on to someone else. Faster gameplay etc etc.

It was already better with the introduction of Sprint. You are moving at a faster rate toward your opponent than they are moving backward at. Let's say Sprint moves you at 150% speed, then getting shot at isn't going to reduce you to below 100%(or at least I would hope it doesn't). It should reduce you down to about 110%, This way you still have an advantage, but it still gives the player on the receiving end a fair fight.

Welp, I'm downgrading to SE + Map Pass, then.

(If we get that twitter biz confirmed.)

Hold out from doing that til we get direct confirmation one way or another whats up.. you don't ant to cancel and then change your mind only to have the LEs fully sold out.

Also, to clarify, I am not simply buying the LE for the war games map pack pass, and I know I am getting other content, but I still feel ripped off if the helmets are not included. People shouldn't be upset that other people do care about this stuff, especially when it involves spending real money on content like this.

Are you kidding me? With Halo 4's networking and this I would die happy.

Sure, let's bring back vanilla bloom too :D

tumblr_m4333hKf9r1r4v2he.gif

-EDIT-

Before posting this I was unsure whether you liked vanilla bloom, but seeing your edit lol, guess so :b

malfcn

Completionists worrying about the fact that exclusives mean certain items may never be available to them have been noted, and we’re definitely considering ways to make the entire gamut of items available at some point in the (relatively distant, since we obviously wish to give our retail partners plenty of room) future.

Retail partners. What happened to the fans being a partner. It's nice to hear that stuff will be released, but doubtful they will be free.

It's a lose-lose for the fans though. Either they can't afford the "exclusive" stuff, or the people that paid for it feel trolled when it is given away later.

A more win-win situation would be rewarding fans with exclusive stuff. Without monetizing the emotional connection with a universe make it available to all, but difficult to achieve. Basically like a Recon helmet.

Hold out from doing that til we get direct confirmation one way or another whats up.. you don't ant to cancel and then change your mind only to have the LEs fully sold out.

Yeah, definitely. It doesn't hurt me to hold onto the LE as long as possible. I'd have to pinch myself if a limited/legendary Halo edition actually ended up being limited.

Even Reach Legendary editions were sitting in stacks in clearance aisles last year, much less the Cat Helmet thing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's the moral of the issue, why would 2 sets of the same thing have 2 different listings. LE should include the helmets from the DLC packages.

^ Exactly. It basically locks the content out from LE users, while letting standard edition users a fair chance at the content. It literally makes no fucking sense.

A very large majority of market cares, and given its one of their selling points on the LE its not fun feeling like you are being screwed out of content.

I'm not saying it makes sense lol

How many people really look at the LE and say, "hmmm Nice casing? Nah. Map packs? Nah. FUD? Nah. Unlock all Specializations? Nah.......... Helmets? fuckin day 1!" I just can't fathom how helmets are a big deal.

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!"

I am not sure if I should still use the Warthog prop when I get my limited edition. Halo 4 Master Chief + Cyro-Tube sounds like a neat combination.

So nobody that played the game at PAX complained about the sword, but now that we have some clarification in plain text everyone loses their mind. Ugh.
Dear Barrow Roll, we are slrpees for the most of them. Our opinions do not count, they are heavily biased. You have to understand it.

I am NOT going to be happy if that's true. This is what I've been worrying about. I'm spending $500 on the console and the LE, and I'm going to have to spend $25 on something [earnest italics]I already have[/earnest italics] to get the two other helmets?

Sucks. =/
Jeff why. Why Jeff! Why do you need the digital content? You haven't even reached the 116k GS!

Computron

Sure, let's bring back vanilla bloom too :D

Bloom does do one thing I like, especially in BTB, which is limiting range. I don't think Bloom is the best way to do that though, nor is it really any fun, it feels more cheap when someone kills you while spamming and you're pacing.
The way the BR was, you had to rely on more than just the magnetism to hit at a medium range, you would need to aim ahead of your target while it was actively pulling you toward them, taking more skill to aim precisely and making strafing more effective.
You could also ping (but not kill) snipers at a large range rather than being easily extremely lethal at all ranges like Reach BTB now. I think that last part is genius.
Hitscan makes me think it will be quite a bit more effective at long ranges, which is is worrysome, unless they are doing this to counter the faster pace of the game, everyone having sprint and all.

I wonder how the BR's bullet spread compares to Halo 3?

Purplemage

Neo Member
It was already better with the introduction of Sprint. You are moving at a faster rate toward your opponent than they are moving backward at. Let's say Sprint moves you at 150% speed, then getting shot at isn't going to reduce you to below 100%(or at least I would hope it doesn't). It should reduce you down to about 110%, This way you still have an advantage, but it still gives the player on the receiving end a fair fight.

Like you said, if the player backing away had decently reduced speed and lunge was about average distance (Double the distance of a melee lunge) combined with a slowed sprint I don't think that would be too bad.

But I think we're both imagining close quarters maps. In any case where there would be room to move the shooter would win, which isn't bad but its only going to promote more camping. Which while thats gonna happen regardless at least this way it allows the sword user to rush more often and make mistakes more often. Out in the open rushing with a sword? With these faster kill times you'll pay for it, but without the slowdown you could be rewarded as well.

Bloom does do one thing I like, especially in BTB, which is limiting range. I don't think Bloom is the best way to do that though, nor is it really any fun, it feels more cheap when someone kills you while spamming and your pacing.
The way the BR was, you had to rely on more than just the magnetism to hit at a medium range, you would need to aim ahead of it, and you could ping snipers at a large range rather than being easily extremely lethal at all ranges like Reach BTB now.

Now it seems you're more talking about hitscan vs projectile bullets which is a whole other beast. As much as I like the skill of leading shots ala the Halo 1 Pistol, I think hitscan just works better online overall. Unless the game were on dedicated servers, I wouldn't want to lead shots with a burst fire rifle that has random spread.

Halo 1 Pistol or projectile-based BR without random spread on dedicated servers though? Yes please :] - as it would definitely at least be very fun to try out.

Read the edit, I address both, namely with sniper pinging which is a byproduct of the spread.

I don't think a lot of super competitive players would agree with me that the spread is necessary because it, similarly to DMR bloom, can't be completely overcome with skill, limiting the utility of the BR at long range.
However, I think the most used gun in the game should not be extremely lethal at a range, and that is where the spread will effect you the most. It won't make that much of a difference on Smaller MLG maps.
Everyone spawning with little sniper rifles wreaks havoc on BTB map movement, just look at Reach.

Well to be fair, those maps were pretty bad lol - Breakpoint didn't really have the same problems as Hemorrhage, but yeah good point. I think that's why though we'll never see a 3 shot rifle/pistol/primary-whatever again because of where networking still is. Halo 1 kill times + Halo 4 hitscan would totally break BTB, but I'm hoping the maps are better suited so situations of that deadly DMR on wide open maps wouldn't be as common.

As for the spread, I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't random. The Halo 4 BR has some spread right, on top of that recoil? Would be interesting to see how it would behave with those properties without hitscan and everyone using BR's. To be honest, I think maybe even making the DMR projectile based might've been the best choice (had there been dedicated servers).

Side note: Valhalla in Halo 4 with hitscan rifles would be kinda funny lol

Computron

Now it seems you're more talking about hitscan vs projectile bullets which is a whole other beast. As much as I like the skill of leading shots ala the Halo 1 Pistol, I think hitscan just works better online overall. Unless the game were on dedicated servers, I wouldn't want to lead shots with a burst fire rifle that has random spread.

Halo 1 Pistol on dedicated servers though? Yes please :]

Read the edit, I address both, namely with sniper pinging which is a byproduct of the spread.

I don't think a lot of super competitive players would agree with me that the spread is necessary because spread, similarly to DMR bloom and unlike bullet travel time, cannot be completely overcome with skill, limiting the utility of the BR at long range.
However, I think the most used gun in the game should not be extremely lethal at a long range, and that is where the spread will effect you the most. It won't make that much of a difference on Smaller MLG size maps.
Everyone spawning with little sniper rifles wreaks havoc on BTB map movement, just look at Reach. Hemorrhage is my least favorite map, no one moves because they will get rolled by the DMR before they can get to cover.
Valhalla, on the other hand, is my favorite map of all time, in part because of the way the BR works.

Also, better networking would go a long way toward making the Halo 3 BR even more awesome than it is. (my favorite gun in the series)

Omni

So... I just spent the 800MS points to get the four new maps in Halo Wars. I was putting it off because of how expensive it is, but I had left over points and decided what the hell.

MS really needs to lower the DLC price for that game. Hardly no one plays it... 800MSP is just too much. Not even going to think about the game mode DLC until it's 200 or less.

In my first game on the Forerunnery map - Uplift? - I snagged the sword and racked up four quick kills with sprint/thruster pack combo. I figured part of it was the lack of experience of other players with the map, but lack of slowdown when taking fire was probably a big part of it.

I am worried about the energy sword, given that everyone has sprint. I take solace in how well the slow down effect worked against sprinters with other weapons, though. Nary a double beat down in sight.
I went on an immediate sprint sword spree on Adrift at one point. To be fair, the players on the other teams were awful, and stronger weapons makes sprint sword less of an issue, but it still might be an issue.
After H2 I classified the Sword as another weapon. Is it really considered a power weapon?

Rockets and Sniper are the power weapons. The ones you fight for every 3 minutes. Sword is just a different CQC weapon that should be balanced similar to the shotty imo.
The way Halo 4 is set up with loadouts and ordnance, and is reflected in sandbox strength/balance, there isn't really that intermediate weapons on the map, but not power weapons in Halo 4 like there has been in past Halo games. They are either loadout weapons, or power (ordnance) weapons.
I was hoping they'd sneak in a new Covie weapon or two like the UNSC weapons video, but oh well, cool video anyway.

Said this before, but 99.784% sure we saw all the weapons at PAX, at least the ones in MP.

I would be shocked if there are some secret weapons we don't know about.. PAX definitely had em all, unless there are some weird new support/turret like weapons.

So... I just spent the 800MS points to get the four new maps in Halo Wars. I was putting it off because of how expensive it is, but I had left over points and decided what the hell.

MS really needs to lower the DLC price for that game. Hardly no one plays it... 800MSP is just too much. Not even going to think about the game mode DLC until it's 200 or less.

Hm, how are the maps? if they ever drop in price Ill probably pick em up, Halo Wars was a fun game and I wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks to get back into it for a bit.

Omni

Hm, how are the maps? if they ever drop in price Ill probably pick em up, Halo Wars was a fun game and I wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks to get back into it for a bit.
Meh. Only played a match on each and I'm not that impressed. I feel as if they missed a big opportunity aesthetically (They look almost exactly the same as the other maps) and gameplay wise they're pretty average. No way in hell are they worth 800MSP though. That's just a blatant rip off and I feel stupid for paying it - even if they were left over points.

Then what's the point of buying the limited version of anything?

Sometimes they have content which justifies the price.

Can we get a bit more of a breakdown on what the briefing packet is? If its worth money? What about the price of the dlc pass for people abroad? Noting its price in ms points would have been good.

What's on the second disk?

"One final pro tip: when sprinting with normal weapons, if opponents shoot you, the shots will slow you down a tad. A sword wielding player is immune to this!"

So much YESSSS.

I know I'm going to be testing the exact distance of the lunge day one. I'm also curious to see if you'll be able to start lunging right after switching to the sword.

It seems like as long as you play it safe and move around the map efficiently (watching your corners like always) the swords still gonna be my favorite weapon. SO HYPED.

Don't forget to use camo or thrust! I'm also really hyper to play Halo 4 as if it's a ninja stealth game, I'm doing a no gun in multiplayer!

stephen08

This whole team downer vs. team 'slrp' thing is pretty ridiculous. The most rational approach is to hope for the best but expect the worst. Pre-emptively burning them at the stake for changes we haven't had much experience with is just as bad as assuming all these changes we hear about are for the best.

This whole team downer vs. team 'slrp' thing is pretty ridiculous. The most rational approach is to hope for the best but expect the worst. Pre-emptively burning them at the stake for changes we haven't had much experience with is just as bad as assuming all these changes we hear about are for the best.

Team Optimistic Cynic

And congrats Ragnarok on the Member status :] - btw, your name always reminds me of Mech Assault which is obviously a great thing, so thank you for that! 7 Elementals vs 1 Ragnarok shit yeh

TheOddOne

But HaloGAF is either positive or negative. No bum chooses to be rational!

So...we should remain pacified until we've played it? No I'm going to yell at shit that is dumb and changing for reasons I don't care for...Everyone else can SLRP.

I want a good Halo this time. This means it needs to be closest to MY ideal Halo. So I'm going to express what I want. Whether or not it has any effect on anything ever.

But HaloGAF is either positive or negative. No bum chooses to be rational!

Well I really dont even get his post. If you aren't SLRP'ing or SALTY then you really don't have an opinion or thought you are just wasting space, specially if you post about your non-caring nothingness neutrality.

TheOddOne

Well I really dont even get his post. If you aren't SLRP'ing or SALTY then you really don't have an opinion or thought you are just wasting space, specially if you post about your non-caring nothingness neutrality.
I'm negative over certain things, while other things I don't mind me at all or even exite me. It was more a comment on how people either get lumped into being too positive or negative, which isn't true at all. Ok, certain people do belong in either camp (a very small group though) but for most part HaloGAF is in the middle.

stephen08

So...we should remain pacified until we've played it? No I'm going to yell at shit that is dumb and changing for reasons I don't care for...Everyone else can SLRP.

I want a good Halo this time. This means it needs to be closest to MY ideal Halo. So I'm going to express what I want. Whether or not it has any effect on anything ever.

I'd say 'hope for the best expect the worst' is more cynical than not. I fully expect this game to have a lot of things I dislike about it. Regardless though, this is the reality of the situation. H4 is coming out, it has a lot of questionable changes, but despite these changes most people here are going to play it anyway.

So by all means criticize but you can't really fault people for not joining in since ultimately the excitement is going to outweigh the apprehension. That's why everyone is in this thread, to follow developments in the Halo franchise.

Trying to catch up and now am thoroughly confused by the value of the LE.

It never seemed to be that much of a deal but the hype got the best of me. Looks like I'll just order the standard and buy any DLC from there on out piecemeal if I want them.

Marco1

Trying to catch up and now am thoroughly confused by the value of the LE.

It never seemed to be that much of a deal but the hype got the best of me. Looks like I'll just order the standard and buy any DLC from there on out piecemeal if I want them.

I agree, same here.

Overdoziz

Banned
How often are you killed by a sword charge where you have enough time to notice he's being slightly slowed down by your rifle fire? As you said, iits basically a rocket launcher, and in some ways is less powerful than shotgun or scattershot because there is zero ranged effect.
But the Rocket Launcher only has 4 rockets. Has the amount of ammo that the Sword (or any other close quarters power weapons) been decreased? In the past Halos they've always had a ridiculous amount of ammunition, especially for weapons that have a relatively low miss-rate. Hell, you can't even waste any shots with the Sword, it's 10 guaranteed kills unless you die.

Please bring it down to about 4 or 5 kills per weapon which is in line with most of the other power weapons in normal circumstances.

"We hate the scanner helmet it looks like dumb!!!!"

"...wait, we can't have it? GIVE US THE HELMET IT'S SO KEWL!!!"

It's the return of Recon, but shittier-looking.

Still though, that's an awful business practice. All this pre-order DLC can go and die in a fire already.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's the return of Recon, but shittier-looking.

Still though, that's an awful business practice. All this pre-order DLC can go and die in a fire already.
Awful business practice? I beg your pardon? Heckfu has played the goddamn game, everything 343 does is fine. Jesus Christ, Blue Ninja, control yourself.

Shadders

The music in the weapons trailer is the the Norin & Bad remix of Arrival if anyone is interested.

I don't think I'm going to upset anyone by saying that?

I am a bit concerned about the news that "Exclusive" content that I buy with real money may cease to be exclusive at some point. If I drop £280 on the console I want to feel special with my unicorn gear. Don't let me down 343!

All the retailer specific pre-order crap can go free-to-all though.

Imo it should work like this:

6 Months or so after launch all the retailer DLC gets released in one pack, or maybe have it unlock bit by bit for competing in double XP weekends or something.

The content that comes with the season pass should be exclusive for at least a few months after the final map pack is released.

The skins from the LE and armour and skins in the Console should stay exclusive to the people who bought those items.

The Avatar gear that comes with the controller and LE soundtrack should stay exclusive too.

Striker

So we don't get the Pro-pipe which has a finesse about it, instead we get the Concussion Rifle that is MORE annoying to face, bouncing you all over the place?

:(
Concussion Rifle is just its counterpart in the Covenant side. Direct your attention to the Sticky Detonator.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Don't forget to use camo or thrust! I'm also really hyper to play Halo 4 as if it's a ninja stealth game, I'm doing a no gun in multiplayer!

Doubtful on camo, I've just never enjoyed using it in Reach even if it is effective. But man I am very stoked to try out the thruster. I get sprint with an ability that's like one evade dodge? Hell to the yes.

Myyke

Neo Member
Sometimes they have content which justifies the price.

Can we get a bit more of a breakdown on what the briefing packet is? If its worth money? What about the price of the dlc pass for people abroad? Noting its price in ms points would have been good.

What's on the second disk?

Damn it bobs! They put a 2086x1800, 5.52MB image of the Limited Edition and its physical contents in that update. The "briefing packet" looks like it is going to be along the lines of Halseys Journal and the extra stuff that came with it. You can clearly see what looks like a Spartan ID Card (reminds me of the card Carter uses to start up the medical machinery in the Birth of a Spartan live action). A logical guess would be that the "briefing packet" is what a new Spartan would receive upon induction - they did say that the briefing packet in-universe fiction would cover the indoctrination process of the Spartan IV's.

I'm not sure exactly what else you want to find out about the briefing packet? There is only so much they can fit in that box. If you are looking for the most "bang for buck" though you could probably just read about what was in the packet on Halopedia a week after the launch and get the Standard Edition. I'm personally quite keen on having the briefing packet as it would look pretty cool on a shelf with Halseys Journal, the Halo Fest Pass, the Spirit of Fire patch etc.

FyreWulff

Also for new page.

One final pro tip: when sprinting with normal weapons, if opponents shoot you, the shots will slow you down a tad. A sword wielding player is immune to this!

Really?

WHY?!

Don't act surprised after the changes they made to the sword in the Reach TU.

Damn it bobs! They put a 2086x1800, 5.52MB image of the Limited Edition and its physical contents in that update. The "briefing packet" looks like it is going to be along the lines of Halseys Journal and the extra stuff that came with it. You can clearly see what looks like a Spartan ID Card (reminds me of the card Carter uses to start up the medical machinery in the Birth of a Spartan live action). A logical guess would be that the "briefing packet" is what a new Spartan would receive upon induction - they did say that the briefing packet in-universe fiction would cover the indoctrination process of the Spartan IV's.

I for one am enjoying Bobs' frequent freaking out in regards to the briefing packet.

Seance

Banned
From a thread I made on Waypoint. Some of these weapon changes sound terribad:

Chris on the Beam Rifle:
"the fastest of the snipers and if you manage the heat state of the gun, you can get off all shots in quick succession without an overheat or reload. One other pro-tip on this one: it’s the best sniper rifle for hip shots in Halo 4! "

._.
Awful, just awful. I don't even know where to begin with this one so I won't even bother...

On the Energy Sword:
"Important changes include making it swing much faster than it has in the past"
"when sprinting with normal weapons, if opponents shoot you, the shots will slow you down a tad. A sword wielding player is immune to this!"

:(
Sounds like Reach, but worse.

On the Concussion rifle ( Why 343?):
"The biggest change to the Halo 4 Concussion Rifle are the stronger physics impulses from the explosions along with faster projectile speed, which makes it work better in more open spaces and from a longer distance."

As if the host rifle wasn't irritating enough in Reach...

Top Bottom