• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Voltron64

Wow, what's going on in this thread?? Nice OP.

Saved films through the settings menu is awesome news.

12 days, so close now. :D

Popeck said:
To elaborate more on the file bro(wser). You press start in the menus and the settings menu will open. Choose the file browser. You can then pick a given category or do a custom search. It lets you search by the author, by tag, by file type and so on. There was almost 20 000 films when I searched with the default "any" options. Browsing the screeshots was kinda slow, but it was still nice to browse something while waiting for the game to start.

The File Bro:http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271883591_FileBro.JPG
Browsing screenshots: http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271884181_IMG_0162.JPG
Who are you and why are you allowed to post awesome stuff that not news outlet has yet to show the masses? :)

OMG ... BRO! :D

Kibbles

Popeck said:
To elaborate more on the file bro(wser). You press start in the menus and the settings menu will open. Choose the file browser. You can then pick a given category or do a custom search. It lets you search by the author, by tag, by file type and so on. There was almost 20 000 films when I searched with the default "any" options. Browsing the screeshots was kinda slow, but it was still nice to browse something while waiting for the game to start.

The File Bro:http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271883591_FileBro.JPG
Browsing screenshots: http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271884181_IMG_0162.JPG
Sooo hot!

File Bro! :lol

Gui_PT

ZayneH said:
Awesome OP, Ghaleon & M0dus. Though, nothing can ease the wait for the Beta (especially when everyone else here is going to be getting F&F codes :lol )

I'm drooling right now.

I remember this being promised in the other thread. Even if it was promised by other gaffers, a promise is a promise :lol

NOKYARD

Spasm said:
You can start by crushing my dreams of an F&F invite on my birthday! 37 today... As if that wasn't soul-crushing enough.
These youngsters… I'm having a MAJOR MILESTONE birthday during the BETA. To celebrate we were originally going to rent the local Cineplex and play the BETA on a movie screen in a private lounge where they serve alcohol (yes, you were all invited). Unfortunately we had to scrap that idea when we decided to move (and buy a new car) at the end of May.

please don't read the rest:
to make up for the cancelled birthday party my GF gave me the choice of either a Hauppauge HD PVR capture card, or a 3-way with a girl of my choice. Not wanting to risk calling her bluff i chose the sure thing (capture card). I guess i will never know if she was serious...:lol

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
NOKYARD said:
These youngsters… I'm having a MAJOR MILESTONE birthday during the BETA. To celebrate we were originally going to rent the local Cineplex and play the BETA on a movie screen in a private lounge where they serve alcohol (yes, you were all invited). Unfortunately we had to scrap that idea when we decided to move (and buy a new car) at the end of May.

to make up for the cancelled birthday party my GF gave me the choice of either a Hauppauge HD PVR capture card, or a 3-way with a girl of my choice. Not wanting to risk calling her bluff i chose the sure thing (capture card). I guess i will never know if she was serious...:lol

You made the right choice.

Popeck

Cuban Legend said:
Who are you and why are you allowed to post awesome stuff that not news outlet has yet to show the masses? :)

OMG ... BRO! :D

Just a Halo fan disguised as an amateur journalist who got the chance to play Reach at a media preview event. I've usually been content with lurking and following the HaloGAF action from the sidelines, but now I got the chance to give something back to the community. You could say I share the anticipation many of you have right now.

I don't think there were any restrictions about the information that could be There was an embargo on video footage, but the pics should be alright. :)

As a sidenote and blatant advert, I've written quite a few articles about Halo & Bungie before. I've organized two Halo themed weeks, publishing one article per day and some videos for good measure. Everything in Finnish of course. Some nice pictures though, feel free to browse:
http://www.konsolifin.net/xbox/jutut/143/
http://www.konsolifin.net/xbox/jutut/202/
=P

Sanic

CrazedArabMan said:
We can only hope that it rains codes come time, as long as lurkers don't steal 'em...

Would be awesome, though i'm sure there are plenty of others here who are far more deserving than I.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
shit only 3 weeks?! WTF That's like.... literally dropping on the day I leave for a 3 week aussie vacation.
WTF I have ODST and all. :O

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I just read a preview on 1up and it said that dual wielding is out. Is that right or am I misreading it?

feel

Adent said:
I just read a preview on 1up and it said that dual wielding is out. Is that right or am I misreading it?
Yep, it's gone.

edit- beat

ChillWinston said:
Has it been detailed yet how health packs are going to work in multiplayer? Do they constantly respawn? Is there a finite number on each map? The idea of having to go off and actively look for a health pack in the middle of a game of slayer freaks me out slightly. Hopefully it's not a Goldeneye situation where one person can just sit on the spot where the armour spawns and constantly top up their health.
Shields (what really matters) still recharge, so it won't be that different from the previous games. When your shields are down, you're still one decent shot away from getting killed, full health or not.

Has it been detailed yet how health packs are going to work in multiplayer? Do they constantly respawn? Is there a finite number on each map? The idea of having to go off and actively look for a health pack in the middle of a game of slayer freaks me out slightly. Hopefully it's not a Goldeneye situation where one person can just sit on the spot where the armour spawns and constantly top up their health.

NOKYARD said:

You chose...poorly.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
The Lamonster said:
You chose...poorly.

That is a matter of a opinion, if it is a bluff then it opens and unwanted argument and problems. You have to look at it from all angles, odds are it was a joke and just a bluff.

Oozer3993

CrazedArabMan said:
We can only hope that it rains codes come time, as long as lurkers don't steal 'em...

I've been making ritual animal
cracker
sacrifices to every God I can think of in hopes of getting a F&F code. I have a good feeling about Vishnu.

Louis Wu

NOKYARD said:
I suspect the first choice may have been a trap. :lol

<<<--- also, my GF is doing my avatars now.
I suspect you're correct about the trap.

I was saddened - I used my little Flickr tool to find the page your avatar came from, and there wasn't any bigger version. I'd love to see a full-size image. :lol

chess

Letters said:
Shields (what really matters) still recharge, so it won't be that different from the previous games. When your shields are down, you're still one decent shot away from getting killed, full health or not.

But shields don't fully recharge if you have low health, right? So then it would matter. (talking about spartan character)

controlsbungie.jpg

RB and B FAIL!!!!!!

The rest of the layout is PERFECT, but B for Grenade swap and RB for melee?????

We've been using B for melee for 9 years Bungie come on.

Kapura

Banned
Ah, nice to see the banners in all their glory. Well done, etc, looks nice, yadda yadda yadda. Can't wait for urk to give us the succinct picture this friday in the BWU. Decided NOT to read all of the impressions; they'd only make me jealous. I did look at the attached pictures; sexy.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
It occurs to me that the new shield delimiter mechanic is probably important enough to warrant a line in the OP. It's really going to shake up melee combat and leave a lot or AR rushers confused for a while.

chess said:
But shields don't fully recharge if you have low health, right? So then it would matter. (talking about spartan character)
Your shields fully recharge even if you have low health. Your health, even as a Spartan, recharges up to a certain threshold. Not until you have full health, but so a scratch won't kill you either.

Thermite

chess said:

From my understanding, shields will always recharge - no matter how low your health is. If you're a spartan, your health will even recharge to a certain point, but you're going to need a health pack to get it back to 100%.

Oozer3993 said:
I've been making ritual animal
cracker
sacrifices to every God I can think of in hopes of getting a F&F code. I have a good feeling about Vishnu.

:lol

You know what, ive realized that a F+F code will only ruin any chance of me passing my exams in a way im sort of lucky im not a 'friend', I think im going to avoid this place from now on and actually concentrate on work!

:(

If your going to carry on making ritual sacrifices put a prayer in for me would you, right now I need my Xbox to RROD or something :lol

Turkish a lot of us have been using RB for the last 3 years, I wonder if they have stats on what Control layout is used most? It has to be defualt but it would be interesting to see how many made the switch.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
2 Minutes Turkish said:
RB and B FAIL!!!!!!

Accept the change, no complaints about it in the impressions and some people didn't even mention it so I am assuming it is just fine.

Popeck

ChillWinston said:

I really didn't pay attention to the whole health situation. I remember picking up a health pack once. Maybe I shoul've paid more attention and maybe the health mechanic takes a bigger role when playing gets more serious, but I was mostly concerned about the shields.

Like I said before, I like Powerhouse more than Swordbase. It felt likea really versatile map promoting the use of every armor ability. I loved getting to the highest point of the map and picking up the DMR. There were some nice sightlines to cover with the Deemer. If you had the jetpack, you could jump a little bit higher. With the sprint you could also run quickly to a roof nearby. It's nice how you can jump a little bit longer with the sprint. Here's a a quick mockup of what I'm talking about:

PowerHouse.jpg

From the armor abilites I chose jetpack first, of course. Also used the armor lock a lot. Sprinting was great in Team Swat and Slayer Pro with DMR and Magnum. I didn't use camo too much, but one player did well with camo & shotgun combo, and the invisibility lasted a good while. Once I managed to surprise two enemies by throwing a grenade at their feet while sneaking with the camo. It sure was satisfying to pick headshots with the pistol.

EDIT: Also about the whole shield and melee thing. It takes some time to get used to. I remember shooting someone with AR, hitting him and shooting again only to be killed myself. It felt strange, but then I rememberd the talk about new shield mechanics. Next time I tried hitting and getting a headshot with magnum. Worked like a charm.

Not a Jellyfish said:
Accept the change, no complaints about it in the impressions and some people didn't even mention it so I am assuming it is just fine.

*fingers in ears going la la la la la*

at least until the BETA. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but I can't see myself being at all comfortable with such a highly used attack being mapped to RB.

Switch grenades is rarely used, which is why it's perfect to sit on RB.

Mayyhem

2 Minutes Turkish said:
RB and B FAIL!!!!!!

Personally I don't mind that control set, I just hope they have a bumper jumper setup with jump on LB.

ACE 1991 said:
SO PUMPED.

We better get some 6+ hour long gaf only customs going.

Fuck yes. I still want to get a list of Invasion regulars so that we can get some consistency going and really play around with strategies, combining armor abilities, testing out different team roles, etc.

vhfive

In a week and a day some of us will be playing the beta. While the rest of us will be forced to live vicariously through them by watching justintv. I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT....

also smh at nokyard

Top Bottom