• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Gui_PT

Not a Jellyfish said:
:lol If we are doing birthdays, May 1st...I will be 25. :D

My birthday is 2 days after christmas.

My x-mas gift is my bday gift. Therefore I never get a bday gift. Ever.

=(

Doubt that'll work

Ghaleon, that was without a doubt the SWANKIEST OP I have ever seen. Amazing work.

Cannot wait for Invasion. All other modes are icing on the delicious, tactical, big-team cake. :D

I want my AR/DMR loadout though damnit!

NOKYARD said:
I wish we could have a unique file share for every game. Mine might not be a normal case, but when entire communities are linking to your file share you can't just swap out items willy-nilly. I suppose i could toss the 5 files and 7 screen shots from my Atlas submission to make room, since that was (mostly) a waste of time.
Fortunately I don't have your problem. There's loads of crap I can delete if I have to. I just hope that ATLAS will rear it's ugly head again for it's proper utilization when Reach ships.

dslgunstar said:

Hot. Looks like it will be in Invasion mode. Now the 40 million dollar question. Is it a power weapon that can be picked up at any time, or a possible 'uber' loadout unlocked in the final, nutcase tier of Invasion?
I'd be willing to bet that the splazer will be included in the weapon drops.

EDIT:
Spasm said:
You can start by crushing my dreams of an F&F invite on my birthday! 37 today... As if that wasn't soul-crushing enough.
Dax01 said:
You're even older than Ghal.... Ew.
Hush now, little one. The adults are talking. ;-)

Happy b-day, Spasm. 37 is an...interesting age. I've had a few months to adjust to it myself.

Wizman23

Banned
Fantastic OP. Seeing stuff like this hits home that shit just got real....as in 2 weeks from now I'm going to be clock watching waiting for work to end so I can go home and play the beta.

I wonder what the final map count is going to be considering there are 2 types of maps now. My guess for launch is 8 normal maps and 4 invasion maps.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
NJ Shlice said:
Exactly how fast can you fire the DMR?

I know there was the "rhythm" that was talked about and the new blooming feature. But if I turn a corner and someone is right there can I pull the DMR trigger like a maniac and fire quick, inaccurate shots?

I think so

Letters said:
The avatar sucks, it really doesn't reflect the usual content of your posts.

What a sweet map.

So far he only seems to be crushing Urks dreams of releasing new info. Maybe a picture of Urk with a no smoking esque sign over it would be more appropriate? :lol

I actually just made it, but a picture of Urk isnt something I would actually post on the forums.

RdN

bobs99 ... said:
I posted it in the other thread first by mistake oops

But my opinion on what Bumper Jumper should be for Reach:

LT - nade
RT - shoot
LB - Jump
RB - AA

Y - swap weapons
B - melee
A - Switch nades
X - Reload

This would feel pretty natural to me as the face buttons are very much the same as Halo 3 bumper jumper in this configuration apart from melee and reload, but the defualt scheme for Halo 2 maps those well. :D

LB and RB for the AA's and Jumping would allow aiming while jumping or using AA's.

It may be better to swap LB and RB - shooting at the moment of jumping wouldnt be as important as shooting while jetpacking I guess.

This scheme would work for me!

NJ Shlice said:

I know there was the "rhythm" that was talked about and the new blooming feature. But if I turn a corner and someone is right there can I pull the DMR trigger like a maniac and fire quick, inaccurate shots?

Probably, but the fire-rate is probably capped somewhere to keep the gun from being too useful at close range.

RdN

Gui_PT said:
My birthday is 2 days after christmas.

My x-mas gift is my bday gift. Therefore I never get a bday gift. Ever.

=(

Doubt that'll work

Lol, I'm from December 27th too.. I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Deadstar

Anyone think Bungie will bring back Blood Gulch or some permutation of that level into Reach? Blood Gulch is still my favorite Halo map of all time and I'd love to relive the magic of the original game.

Popeck

Merguson said:
I mentioned this in the other thread but will we ever see the feature from the Halo 3 Beta where you could save the film after the game. Will it ever return?

I don't remember if there was a "Save this film" button on the post carnage lobby, but you can always go to "Settings" ---> "File browser" ---> "History" ---> "Save film". No need to go to theater, it can be done while searching for the next match etc.

Lazslo

This actually sounds pretty awesome. A dynamic beta will artificially keep things feeling fresh. I don't remember the Halo 3 beta being capable of such real-time tuning
couldn't turn it on.
I wonder if such focus testing will be done to the point where the players notice the week by week progression or if it's felt more internally and the player doesn't notice anything going on.

Lars Bakken said:
I think one of the things we learned from the Halo 3 beta is that we want to keep this thing focused and that might mean less playlists initially. But that's really to keep the people focused and keep them playing the same thing, so we'll be turning on things and turning off other things as the beta progresses. And that's something we really learned from Halo 3, because we wanted to make sure that we were getting all the relevant information that we needed to get
Source.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
RdN said:

I feel bad for you guys, my brother is December 28th and he has the same thing happen to him.

Even though he is too old to care now. :lol

Spasm

Popeck said:
I don't remember if there was a "Save this film" button on the post carnage lobby, but you can always go to "Settings" ---> "File browser" ---> "History" ---> "Save film". No need to go to theater, it can be done while searching for the next match etc.
Oh hellz yeah! That's good enough for me.

Very nice summary, and I definitely wasn't aware there's another F&F program.

Hopefully they'll use the same beta list as last time :D

Kapura

Banned
My birthday is saturday... Just throwin' that out there.
I'm getting legos, fuck yeah

I can't see the images in the OP through the web filter :( Are they awesome?

feel

2ithq41.jpg

Popeck said:
Fantastic.

Gui_PT

RdN said:

You understand me! I got an electric razor last year. Srly

Kapura said:
My birthday is saturday... Just throwin' that out there.
I'm getting legos, fuck yeah

I can't see the images in the OP through the web filter :( Are they awesome?

Yes, they're awesome. Most you've probably seen already since you follow the other Reach thread, and some are from the articles that came out yesterday/today.

Have you seen the articles?

Dirtbag

Deadstar said:
Anyone think Bungie will bring back Blood Gulch or some permutation of that level into Reach? Blood Gulch is still my favorite Halo map of all time and I'd love to relive the magic of the original game.

I think they will definitely have a 2 identical bases at the opposite ends of a long valley-esque map. Perhaps this time it will be the snow map!

What I don't expect are any remakes included in the game outside of potentially future DLC. All the MP maps are campaign centric, so I don't picture them placing a map we've already played on in past halo's into the campaign.

MGHA

Can I get into the beta if I buy a used copy of ODST? Cant wait for this, its going to be great!

Kapura

Banned
Gui_PT said:
You understand me! I got an electric razor last year. Srly

Yes, they're awesome. Most you've probably seen already since you follow the other Reach thread, and some are from the articles that came out yesterday/today.

Have you seen the articles?
I was able to see the Ars Technica aricle, none of the others though. I guess I'll see them when I get home in a couple hours, so no huge loss.

Deadstar said:

There's been a variant of Blood Gultch in every Halo game, I cant imagine there wont be one in Reach. There will probably also be a variant of Zanzibar/Last Resort too, since it still stands as Bungie's finest map-making moment.

But if you're hoping that the map will be as simple and one-dimensional as Blood Gultch, then you might be disappointed, because based on the level of detail we've seen in the maps thus far, chances are the new map will have even more nuances and terrain variability than Valhalla.

Personally, Im more thrilled about a spiritual successor to High Ground (Overlook) than I am about another symmetrical two-base map.

Gui_PT

Kapura said:
I was able to see the Ars Technica aricle, none of the others though. I guess I'll see them when I get home in a couple hours, so no huge loss.

Well, it's no more than 5 or 6 screens

I can upload them somewhere else if you don't feel like waiting

Merguson

Banned
Popeck said:

Perfect. Thanks for the info dude :D

Dirtbag said:
I think they will definitely have a 2 identical bases at the opposite ends of a long valley-esque map. Perhaps this time it will be the snow map!

What I don't expect are any remakes included in the game outside of potentially future DLC. All the MP maps are campaign centric, so I don't picture them placing a map we've already played on in past halo's into the campaign.
If Forge 2.0 continues along the awesomeness scale of things we're seeing for the beta, Bungie doesn't need to bother with remakes. Let the community handle that part and leave the new hawtness to the professionals.

On the subject pof Blood Gulch, I'd say leave it be, and all other remake/spiritual successor maps all together.

Release a 'Flashback-esqe' Map Pack Instead!
NJ Shlice said:

If the rhythm spoken about is true, then yes you can.

Although, I would assume that you wouldn't want to have them be inaccurate.

DualX

Popeck said:
Anything is better than having to back all the way out of your party just to save a replay.

Popeck said:
My eyes are filled with tears of joy.

Dirtbag

squidhands said:
If Forge 2.0 continues along the awesomeness scale of things we're seeing for the beta, Bungie doesn't need to bother with remakes. Let the community handle that part and leave the new hawtness to the professionals.

I don't expect to see major changes in the way forge works. I don't think we are going to see a terrain editor, but I'd love to be wrong. I picture some snap to, toggle grids, maybe some build a base and copy/paste it as a group of objects. Just having a better forge space out of the gates will be a pretty nice improvement over Halo3.

Kibbles

ManCannon said:
LTTP but just wanted to say awesome OP Ghaleon! I'll miss the old thread but I'm looking forward to crushing dreams on fresh ground.
Please crush the crazy rumor that the LE is $150. =(

ps: Need First Person screenshots of the Splaser and Night Vision.

Popeck

By the way, we had to try the Air to Air ass... execution in action. Pretty awesome, although it didn't happen naturally. I told my pal to jump with the jetpack in front of me and I followed. He went down with a nice wrestling move. I also got a glimpse of air to ground execution, if I saw correctly. Every time I got a chance to execute someone, I did it. The animation is swift and it doesn't really hurt the flow of the game. Maybe I would have thought twice if someone had actually tried to kill me while stabbing a knife to the back of an unsuspecting foe, but no. It was great when someone literally dropped in front of me in Swordbase. Just a little turn, press RB and a nice animation was activated. Getting the last kill of the game with an execution was also sweet.

Sometimes I just launched a regular punch while trying to execute. Guess you'll just have to learn when you can execute someone.

Dirtbag said:
I don't expect to see major changes in the way forge works. I don't think we are going to see a terrain editor, but I'd love to be wrong. I picture some snap to, toggle grids, maybe some build a base and copy/paste it as a group of objects. Just having a better forge space out of the gates will be a pretty nice improvement over Halo3.

I agree with all of this, I would add a undo button, but that would make me happy. I would love a nice Sandbox type forge space, but how would it fit into campeign :(

Popeck that sounds amazing, I cant wait to try it, I hope the beta is full of unaware people exploring the map :)

LQX

Letters said:
Leaked merchandising fact sheet from a while ago confirmed it.
k4t7rt.jpg

Unless it's fake, which it could easily be, lol
If there are special versions they sure as hell wont be limited. I remember them boasting about Halo 3 helmets being numbed and limited. Limited my fucking ass. They made so many stores had trouble just selling them for $50. Gave mine away.

Kibbles

Popeck said:
By the way, we had to try the Air to Air ass... execution in action. Pretty awesome, although it didn't happen naturally. I said for my pal to jump with the jetpack in front of me and I followed. He went down with a nice wrestling move. I also got a glimpse of air to ground execution, if I saw correctly. Every time I got a chance to execute someone, I did it. The animation is swift and it doesn't really hurt the flow of the game. Maybe I would have thought twice if someone had actually tried to kill me while stabbing a knife to the back of an unsuspecting foe, but no. It was great when someone literally dropped in front of me in Swordbase. Just a little turn, press RB and a nice animation was activated. Getting the last kill of the game with an execution was also sweet.
How are the jaggies? Better AA than Halo 3?

Dirtbag

bobs99 ... said:
I agree with all of this, I would add a undo button, but that would make me happy.

I would love a nice Sandbox type forge space, but how would it fit into campeign :(

I think we already saw it in that chess vidoc.

feel

Popeck said:
By the way, we had to try the Air to Air ass... execution in action. Pretty awesome, although it didn't happen naturally. I told my pal to jump with the jetpack in front of me and I followed. He went down with a nice wrestling move. I also got a glimpse of air to ground execution, if I saw correctly. Every time I got a chance to execute someone, I did it. The animation is swift and it doesn't really hurt the flow of the game. Maybe I would have thought twice if someone had actually tried to kill me while stabbing a knife to the back of an unsuspecting foe, but no. It was great when someone literally dropped in front of me in Swordbase. Just a little turn, press RB and a nice animation was activated. Getting the last kill of the game with an execution was also sweet.
Keep the awesome posts coming. :)

RdN

Popeck said:

Sometimes I just launched a regular punch while trying to execute. Guess you'll just have to learn when you can execute someone.

Air to Ground executions must awesome!

NOKYARD said:
Pro tip: Don't bother with exploration for the first game on each new map. Just play normally to get a feel for the map. Right after the match ends go into Theatre, let it play for a few seconds (to allow for drop-spawn weapons), pause the film and explore using the fly-cam. This allows you to see the map's default layout, with every placed weapon on it's native spawn, and no randomly dropped weapons to confuse you. You can also fly around the map's natural boundaries so you don't waste time trying to jetpack to an unreachable ledge during a match.

Oh God, I'm so embarrassingly bad at learning new maps. My MO is wander blindly the first time, then go through the map in Forge mode, then continue to wander blindly for at least another 10 games.

derFeef

Popeck said:

That sounds really awesome. Thanks for the infos and let them keep coming :D

Top Bottom