• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Popeck said:
Getting the last kill of the game with an execution was also sweet.
Stupid Question Alert: Did BUNGIE add a replay of the game winning kill? (crosses Fingers)

It's like a little piece of instant save-film-style teabaggery for the whole losing team.

Cuban Legend said:
Stupid Question Alert: Did BUNGIE add a replay of the game winning kill? (crosses Fingers)

It's like a little piece of instant save-film-style teabaggery for the whole losing team.
That was the best part about MW 2. It would be awesome something like that was implemented.

Insaniac

RdN said:
Agreed.. would love to see it in Halo.

some times i would like it, but in other instances it'd be extremely boring, a couple guys BRing each other, i dunno. I'd still like to see it

Cuban Legend said:

As they already have this working in theatre mode it shouldnt be tooo hard to impliment it right? It wouldnt be too hard to show the last 5 seconds of the game. Seeing a game winning kill would be amazing. Please make it happen Bungie. :D

Cant wait to play invasion. I hope my friends will play it like the BFBC2 Rush Mode. Maybe i'll attend a CostumHaloGAf, if no one of my friends play Invasion.

Dirtbag said:
I don't expect to see major changes in the way forge works. I don't think we are going to see a terrain editor, but I'd love to be wrong. I picture some snap to, toggle grids, maybe some build a base and copy/paste it as a group of objects. Just having a better forge space out of the gates will be a pretty nice improvement over Halo3.
As a total forgenerd, I'm going to be ridiculously optimistic on this one. Just the stuff that's going to be included in the beta is jaw-dropping; I can't help but indulge myself in the forge fantasy.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
bobs99 ... said:
As they already have this working in theatre mode it shouldnt be tooo hard to impliment it right? It wouldnt be too hard to show the last 5 seconds of the game. Seeing a game winning kill would be amazing. Please make it happen Bungie. :D

Either the final kill or a system that showed a clip from the match of the MVP of the match doing exactly what it was that made them MVP, whether it be getting a double, triple, or however many kills in succession or a nice flag cap. :D

Popeck

Cuban Legend said:

Nah, I don't remember seeing it. But I agree, it would be nice.

But for those convinced that Armor Lock will be overpowered, I don't think that will be the case. Like I said before, the invulnerability doesn't come to effect immediately, you are really sitting duck and the enemy can anticipate when you are going to release the lock. It sure was a nice way to save my ass when someone surprised me. They would shoot me and maybe throw a grenade, for nothing. Then maybe an another enemy appeared, they started shooting each other, I released the lock and took both guys out. Sometimes everyone just started shooting at me when I activated the lock. Once the enemy surprised me with the camo and I locked, but he was smart, waited and took me down with the shotgun.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Great OP! Nice work guys!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Diablohead said:
Isn't killcam locked down to activision due to patents and other shit? it's why you don't see it in other titles.

We're asking for the game-winning kill, not Killcam for every death.

...or are they the same thing? Haha. :p

Insaniac said:
some times i would like it, but in other instances it'd be extremely boring, a couple guys BRing each other, i dunno. I'd still like to see it

Yeah, most of the time I found the Game-Winning kills to be quite boring.

However, I would still like the feature in Reach because if I get an insane last kill, everyone can see it. :p

To remedy the boring ones, Bungie could just include the ability to skip it and immediately take you to the post-game carnage report.

Today I found out how the Covenant, at least the Brutes, go to the bathroom while they're on duty.

I present to HaloGAF, The Brute Experience™.

http://i41.tinypic.com/4j752e.jpg
First he's listening to hear if anyone is close by...nothing but sleeping Grunts. Now's the perfect time!

http://i39.tinypic.com/r7u22v.jpg
*unzips*

http://i42.tinypic.com/eplmw2.jpg
He's apparently having a hard time getting You Know What out.

http://i40.tinypic.com/dyalo9.jpg
There we go!

http://i43.tinypic.com/104nlg6.jpg
Looks like it feels really good.

http://i43.tinypic.com/esqfc6.jpg
*re-zips* Hopefully nobody important was watching....

It's a shame you can make shorter film clips out of campaign, but if anyone wants see it all in full motion (it's quite hilarious) then you can download it here.

Edit:
Domino Theory said:
About 3 years too late, Dax.
God dammit. :( I fail. Hard.

Domino Theory said:
We're asking for the game-winning kill, not Killcam for every death.

...or are they the same thing? Haha. :p
I see it as the same, just that the winning kill footage plays half speed, same tech I would think.

If they had to use a work around maybe some sort of replay angle for each area of the level, not as cool but it could still show off the kill. Or like with football games that show the goals scored as 3 second clips in a row, the last 5 kills played back to back a few seconds long each :p

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Popeck said:
I don't remember if there was a "Save this film" button on the post carnage lobby, but you can always go to "Settings" ---> "File browser" ---> "History" ---> "Save film". No need to go to theater, it can be done while searching for the next match etc.

Holy SHIT. YES.

This post is definitely not me sucking up to Luke for an early beta code...

manning2-1.jpg

nope, definitely not...

Sai-kun

Banned
Church RvB said:
OP looks fantastic. But whats the edit about the mongoose? Is it in the beta? I didn't see it in the OP.
Popeck confirmed that he and others got to ride around on Mongi :D so there probably are some in the beta!

Popeck

Sai-kun said:
Popeck confirmed that he and others got to ride around on Mongi :D so there probably are some in the beta!

Yeah, it won't necessarily be in Invasion or anything, but we got the good ol' Race gametype and burnt some rubber with Mongooses. I won, of course. The track was pretty well fenced, smelt like forge really. ;)

vhfive

Popeck said:
Yeah, it won't necessarily be in Invasion or anything, but we got the good ol' Race gametype and burnt some rubber with Mongooses. I won, of course. The track was pretty well fenced, smelt like forge really. ;)
good news :D

<3 rocket race

Domino Theory said:
Would it be weird if I said I actually placed my hand on my monitor? :lol

But seriously, who high fives with their left hand? :p

So thats how you noticed it was a left handed hi five :lol

I will admit, I was tempted lol

Thermite

Excellent job on the OP, Ghaleon.

Popeck said:
I don't remember if there was a "Save this film" button on the post carnage lobby, but you can always go to "Settings" ---> "File browser" ---> "History" ---> "Save film". No need to go to theater, it can be done while searching for the next match etc.

Holy shit, that's fucking awesome! Bungle :bow

EazyB

Banned
I get a good chuckle at people going back to default. Absolutely nothing to gain from being able to reload while aiming. :lol

Definitely want BJ to stick to the Halo 3 scheme with equipment replaced with armor abilities. Wouldn't be great for the jetpack but I don't see myself using that loadout anyways.

EazyB said:
I get a good chuckle at people going back to default. Absolutely nothing to gain from being able to reload while aiming. :lol

Definitely want BJ to stick to the Halo 3 scheme with equipment replaced with armor abilities. Wouldn't be great for the jetpack but I don't see myself using that loadout anyways.

Well people are going to offshoot into what they want - some people will want to still be able to look and melee, so I guess normal BJ would be good for them. I would like LB and RB being used for Jump and AA though. Melee can go back to B in my opinion.

Popeck

Letters said:
Popeck, did you notice if the picture quality has improved over Halo 3? (jaggies mostly)

Yes, the image quality had improved, but there were jaggies. It's really hard to compare to Halo 3 since I usually play with a 24" monitor/HDTV and the media preview had like 50" HDTVs, and we played really close to the TVs, almost under a meter / three feet. The game felt smoother and there were no problems with the framerate. The effects are better across the beard, I mean board. Audiowise too. DMR sounds great.

Needle rifle felt easier to use than DMR. Maybe it was just an illusion, but it does require more shots to kill an opponent. It was always nice to put three needles to an unshielded opponent who would then explode. Definitely more fun to use than carbine, thanks to the explosions.

zumphry

Banned
Awesome OP, Ghaleon & M0dus. Though, nothing can ease the wait for the Beta (especially when everyone else here is going to be getting F&F codes :lol )

Popeck said:
We played some SWAT. DMR + Sprint + SWAT = awesome. Oh the beautiful headshots.

I'm drooling right now.

Deadstar

dslgunstar said:
There's been a variant of Blood Gultch in every Halo game, I cant imagine there wont be one in Reach. There will probably also be a variant of Zanzibar/Last Resort too, since it still stands as Bungie's finest map-making moment.

But if you're hoping that the map will be as simple and one-dimensional as Blood Gultch, then you might be disappointed, because based on the level of detail we've seen in the maps thus far, chances are the new map will have even more nuances and terrain variability than Valhalla.

Personally, Im more thrilled about a spiritual successor to High Ground (Overlook) than I am about another symmetrical two-base map.

I think you're right that we'll be seeing some type of Zanzibar remake as well. I wonder if you can play Spartan vs Elite in ctf. I don't know if that would be balanced but it could be fun.

Thermite

EazyB said:

:lol Yeah, those suckers.
Going back to Halo 2 broke me from Bumper Jumper. I just couldn't rekindle the relationship afterwards.. ;(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Deadstar said:
I think you're right that we'll be seeing some type of Zanzibar remake as well. I wonder if you can play Spartan vs Elite in ctf. I don't know if that would be balanced but it could be fun.

If there is another Zanzibar re-make, hopefully it's actually more like Zanzibar and not Last Resort. :p

Popeck

To elaborate more on the file bro(wser). You press start in the menus and the settings menu will open. Choose the file browser. You can then pick a given category or do a custom search. It lets you search by the author, by tag, by file type and so on. There was almost 20 000 films when I searched with the default "any" options. Browsing the screeshots was kinda slow, but it was still nice to browse something while waiting for the game to start.

The File Bro:http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271883591_FileBro.JPG
Browsing screenshots: http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271884181_IMG_0162.JPG

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Popeck said:
To elaborate more on the file bro(wser). You press start in the menus and the settings menu will open. Choose the file browser. You can then pick a given category or do a custom search. It lets you search by the author, by tag, by file type and so on. There was almost 20 000 films when I searched with the default "any" options. Browsing the screeshots was kinda slow, but it was still nice to browse something while waiting for the game to start.

http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271883591_FileBro.JPG

COOL STORY, FILE BRO.

ZayneH said:
Awesome OP, Ghaleon & M0dus. Though, nothing can ease the wait for the Beta (especially when everyone else here is going to be getting F&F codes :lol )

I'm drooling right now.

We can only hope that it rains codes come time, as long as lurkers don't steal 'em...

vhfive

Popeck said:

The File Bro:http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271883591_FileBro.JPG
Browsing screenshots: http://www.konsolifin.net/ylli/upload/jutut/xbox/1271884181_IMG_0162.JPG
sounds great Bungie continues to impress me.
can't wait to browse custom maps with the tag "halo 2 remake"

chess

CrazedArabMan said:
We can only hope that it rains codes come time, as long as lurkers don't steal 'em...

I had one emailed to me for the H3 FnF beta but it was NOT through GAF. I remember them doing random code posting all over the place but I thought that was post FnF.

Top Bottom