• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Wolffen

Also really, really LTTP, but awesome OP, Ghaleon (and Modus). I've been virtually absent from HaloGAF (and NeoGAF in general) for the past 7 months, but I've got some downtime coming on the 30th through the 6th, and I'm hoping to see some of y'all online during the Beta.

It's funny to read about the credits-based gametype Bungie nixed. I was thinking of something along that line myself, but team-based, and spinning off Headhunter; basically collecting and turning in skulls to unlock weapon & vehicle drops for your team. I'm hoping that Bungie will still offer players a chance to do "economy" based gametypes in Customs.

Speaking of weapon & vehicle drops, does anyone know if the weapon drops in Invasion are literal "drops" (as in ammo/weapon pods)? If so, it would be awesome if we could build that into a custom game via Forge. I'm really excited to see how far Bungie is going to let players go in creating custom game types. Can we, for example, create a gametype like 'DerekBall', as was mentioned in the latest podcast?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Thermite said:
Man, the skybox for Boneyard is beautiful. And the fact that it's animated is even more impressive..

Goddamn.

It is. Wait until you see it for reelz. :O

I find the swirls of energy rippling over the Elite's armor intoxicating. Stosh can pause the action, but those effects can't be contained. They are unbound by time and so totally awesome.

Kibbles

Made a bunch of avatars from the new screenshots if anyone wants to grab one.

o752t2.jpg
jt8efc.jpg
2yp1cex.jpg
2pt9ovd.jpg
2afh1nd.jpg
xg03l1.jpg
es2b7p.jpg

2580xsw.jpg
ejvq4m.jpg
oqc6t2.jpg
2ebdf0l.jpg
8zeon6.jpg
11in6tg.jpg
mh93x0.jpg

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Ghal - if you missed any high-res screenshots, Bungie's got 'em all up now:

http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/images.aspx?c=59

GAW-JUSS
Thanks for the heads up. I'll snag a couple more for the lower quarters of the thread and swap out ones for unwatermarked versions. :D

I've updated the OP with links to the 3D Quicktime and the new images in the gallery. I'll be listing all updates to the thread at the very top under Updates so people don't have to dig through the thread or the OP to find the new stuffz.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
JohnIIVII said:
The amount of detail Bungie has put into this game continues to amaze me again and again! I cant wait to see some substantial footage next week!! :D

You mean this week. ;)
Please Vidoc tomorrow or Friday.

JohnIIVII

Dax01 said:
How does everyone feel about the new look of the plasma grenades? I can see myself liking this look more in the end, but for now, I guess because it's different, I like the look of the old plasma grenades more.
I have to agree, not to say I hate the new look of them, but I guess I'm just more accustom to the older model.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
urk said:

I find the swirls of energy rippling over the Elite's armor intoxicating. Stosh can pause the action, but those effects can't be contained. They are unbound by time and so totally awesome.

Is the background for the menu (when searching in MM and what not) animated, too?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
vhfive said:
In a week and a day some of us will be playing the beta. While the rest of us will be forced to live vicariously through them by watching justintv. I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT....

also smh at nokyard

:lol :lol :lol

Teknoman

Somehow missed out on HaloGAF games during Halo 3 and ODST...will not miss out during Reach.

Of course I still need to finish ODST and play more firefight.

Thermite

urk said:

Can't wait! :D

And yeah, I totally agree. The Elite's shield effects are super, super impressive. I've watched the tiny part of the first ViDoc where the Elite is getting shot at, and his shields are lighting up in that dark Campaign environment at least a couple dozen times. Sooo good.

Kibbles

My god this gif was hard to make because it made me so dizzy. I tried slowing it down and it still makes me dizzy. Woah... :lol

hwgymp.gif

Gui_PT

Kibbles said:
My god this gif was hard to make because it made me so dizzy. I tried slowing it down and it still makes me dizzy. Woah... :lol

http://i39.tinypic.com/hwgymp.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]

Is that orange-ish thing on his back the AA? Or is that an armor part?

Wolffen

Kibbles said:

But so awesome. (Thanks for making the avatars!)

wwm0nkey

Im kind of surprised none of you are happy or noticing that the bullets now shoot out of the guns and not the head now :lol

Merguson

Banned
Kibbles said:

hwgymp.gif

Spartan IIIs don't need ass protection?

EDIT: Is that thing on his back armor lockdown? or just a visible magnet to holster a weapon?

A Penguin

wwm0nkey said:
Im kind of surprised none of you are happy or noticing that the bullets now shoot out of the guns and not the head now :lol
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I never noticed any "head bullets" before. Pics for reference?

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
Given that he has a shotgun + pistol, I'm assuming that's camouflage.

Makes sense.

The light reflecting on the Spartan's armor looks really really good.
I remember someone on the other thread complaining that the trailer from the Spike Awards had way better graphics(talking specifically about light reflecting off the armor). Well this 3d-screenshot shows that there's not much of a difference

GhaleonEB

Merguson said:

EDIT: Is that thing on his back armor lockdown? or just a visible magnet to holster a weapon?
All AA's appear on their back, so that's probably what it is.

A Penguin said:
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I never noticed any "head bullets" before. Pics for reference?

In H1/H2/H3 bullets were always shot from the camera rather than the barrel of the gun in question. Basically so that you wouldn't end up with situations where you thought you could shoot a player behind a low wall or something, when in actuality you were hitting an obstacle. Or at least so I was told.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Merguson said:

I just spun around and asked Robt to cook up some fiction surrounding the exposed Spartan-III badonk. His facial expression seems to indicate that he won't be making it a top priority.

Brannon

Size Matters | Relative to Spartans, Elites are significantly larger, have more health,
move much faster, and recharge their shields more quickly.

About time. I'm sure there will be issues, but damn it, this is what Elites are all about. Spartans may be outclassed in almost every way when it comes to fighting Covenant tech, but that's why they improvise.

They're bigger than you, stronger than you and faster than you. Now what the hell are YOU going to do about it?

A) Fail like a bitch*

B) Win against all odds because Spartans never die

Top Bottom