• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

jet1911

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah that was my first thought when I watched that part in the video. "Um, I'm finding a different way in..."

Edit: I'd love to see a gif of the epic Wraith explosion.

This one?

zlakg8.gif

feel

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!! Just watched it for 5 times straight!!

I won't even go into detail, wouldn't know where to start, brilliant vidoc in all aspects, I'm so fuckin hyped right now!!! Other games/devs and their fanboys, please bow down... huge contender for best game ever inbound.

About skus, I've decided unless contents change, Limited Edition for me, packaging seems to look fantastic, including an actual (black) game box and has all the good content (no behind the scenes or extras disc at all makes me sad ), don't need the statue (too embarrassed to display it, so why waste the money) or flames.

I'm busy today, and I'm not sure when I'll get time to sit down and do gifs, so jet, ferfeef, kibs, and etc, keep em coming. :) I'll probably do minor scenes that weren't covered by you guys, tomorrow.

GhaleonEB

jet1911: Yup, that one. Holy shit that's that's an epic demise. :lol

I like the visual feedback on the Plasma Launcher - the front firing mechanism slowly winds up as it charges, and spins into position to fire each shot. Very cool.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the Limited Edition of the set. What tipped me to Legendary with the Halo 3 set was the developer commentaries, not the cat helmet. Without that in Reach, I don't really feel the need to plunk down another $70. I can always pick it up on the inevitable fire sales down the road.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not too thrilled about the Limited Edition/Legendary Edition. And the two armor premutations for them is :(. Hopefully Bungie releases those in a year or two for a buck or two and lets everyone have them (In before crying of Limited Edition people, Sony does this with their games, why wouldn't MS? Fair for everyone, you had it for a year. :|)

In any case: This is the first Halo since Halo 2 that I'm pretty hyped for. EVERYTHING just sounds fucking deadly/manly about the weapons/vehicles/Elite not being shackled anymore.

I kinda wish I could stick with just the Elites though. WORT WORT WORT and all that. :lol

:lol Oh wow. Luke was definitely on some drugs. Lol I loved every minute of it.

Now I loved everything I saw in the vidoc. No complaints. I know in the past I've complained about the [old] arm waving animation for whatever reasons...but wow. That NEW one you guys GIF'ed is AMAZING. All the animations looked good. Even that hilarious one with the spartan squirming on the ground with the other spartan bashing his head in lol.

I have reached hype. I cannot wait.

Letters said:
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!! Just watched it for 5 times straight!!

I won't even go into detail, wouldn't know where to start, brilliant vidoc in all aspects, I'm so fuckin hyped right now!!! Other games/devs and their fanboys, please bow down... huge contender for best game ever inbound.

About skus, I've decided unless contents change, Limited Edition for me, packaging seems to look fantastic, including an actual (black) game box and has all the good content (no behind the scenes or extras disc at all makes me sad ), don't need the statue (too embarrassed to display it, so why waste the money) or flames.

I'm busy today, and I'm not sure when I'll get time to sit down and do gifs, so jet, ferfeef, kibs, and etc, keep em coming. :) I'll probably do minor scenes that weren't covered by you guys, tomorrow.

I'll send you a PM with scenes Im interested in :p

Two trailers and Ill be set up for life with avatars :lol

Everytime more footage of the DMR and AR come out, I feel better and better about both weapons. This Beta cannot happen soon enough.

Kuroyume

Banned
The vidoc was good. I just wish they would stop cutting to the Bungie guys all the time and simply show the game. Talking over the game is good enough. I like the look of a lot of it. The only bad thing that I can forsee is the likelihood of something good in the beta being changed because people enjoy it too much. It's more likely that something good will be changed rather than something bad. That's how Bungie does things.

Trasher

Just wanted to say this:

I will NOT be getting the Legendary this time. 150 bucks? Yeah right. I'd rather buy another 360 in case I RROD during Reach. Is there a Reach'ed out 360 I can buy??? :lol

Popeck

Timmins mentioning "fictional setting" and all this talk about epic Invasion scenarios really set the expectations high for Invasion in the final game. And the best thing is, I think there might be another video coming next week or at the beginning of beta. Aisha! ;)

FourDoor

What tipped me over to the H3 Legendary Edition was the cat helmet. I wanted a matching Reach cat helmet but I guess since everybody can have their own in game helmet now for the campaign there wasnt a clear enough helmet winner to make into the legendary casing.

The cat helmet has been a nice little ice breaker when heading into new peoples homes. Whenever I see it at someones house, its an easy ice breaker about Halo. I guess the Reach figures will do the same too but now I feel the need to find a spot for it in the home that won't throw off the decor.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Kuroyume said:
The vidoc was good. I just wish they would stop cutting to the Bungie guys all the time and simply show the game. Talking over the game is good enough. I like the look of a lot of it. The only bad thing that I can forsee is the likelihood of something good in the beta being changed because people enjoy it too much. It's more likely that something good will be changed rather than something bad. That's how Bungie does things.

I like the Bungie guys...they are funny. :lol

From the vidoc, I see people using the Beam Rifle a lot because it loos pretty beast in the footage.

EazyB

Banned
Trasher said:
Just wanted to say this:

I will NOT be getting the Legendary this time. 150 bucks? Yeah right. I'd rather buy another 360 in case I RROD during Reach. Is there a Reach'ed out 360 I can buy??? :lol
Think of all the ladies you'll pick up with that 10 lb statue sitting next to your cat helmet!

Limited Edition for me. Really interested in that manual but no developer stuff? Almost makes me want to use grab a standard edition at Walmart at midnight. Hope the case isn't as shitty as the Halo 3 LE one though.

Trasher

Cat helmet edition was awesome because that helmet IS Halo. Halo IS Master Chief. That's cool and that's why I bought it. So now it's 150 bucks for a statue of characters I don't know yet? Can't justify that much money. I'll get the Limited Edition though for sure.

I'm really excited about this Covenant Sniper. Im terrible at sniping, so the idea of being able to use basically a long-range lighting-gun, and just paint targets with pain is AWESOME for me.

Kapura

Banned
EazyB said:
Think of all the ladies you'll pick up with that 10 lb statue sitting next to your cat helmet!

Limited Edition for me. Really interested in that manual. Hope the case isn't as shitty as the Halo 3 LE one though.
It looks a lot more legit than the tin the Limited came in last time. First and foremost, it seems to have just gone Xzibit on it and put the case inside another case. I agree with you, though: I don't need the toys. Just the fiction.

Spasm said:
Also, random AVA:

2d7bkgh.gif

I love this, that jetpack looks like a lot of fun. I really hope people still use it a few months after release. It really is a pretty useless peice of AA in my opinion, but it looks like its going to add so many good times.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I love the way the game looks in motion. The blur on the sides when turning is a nice touch. The way the guns shoot and hit enemies. It's all very, powerful. Everything is felt and has a punch and weight to it. It's like when you're playing Ninja Gaiden and the way the blades go through enemies and their reaction to it and just how everything is animated like that. The game is very satisfying in that sense. Reach seems to be the same way. I don't know, it's hard to put words to it.

Anyway, ViDoc was amazing and hilarious and informative and everything awesome all at once. Fuckin great.

Hype +100

I think the jetpack is going to be a good AA. Not necessarily for in the middle of battle but for overall mobility.

I feel like having the option to pretty much vertical to get anywhere you need to go on a map is going to be very helpful.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Anyone notice how far the spartan jumped at 2:51. I think he was using sprint. Get ready for some craziness guys!
Yeah he was sprinting, I think that's great as it gives players more choice then just running around fast, now you can clear some gaps too.

bobs99 ... said:
I love this, that jetpack looks like a lot of fun. I really hope people still use it a few months after release. It really is a pretty useless peice of AA in my opinion, but it looks like its going to add so many good times.

Depends on how people use it. I think if they use it to ascend to valuable areas quickly, like directly up in swordbase for the flag, or to put themselves onto higher ground to attack the objective from a different direction, or simply to break their fall, then its very useful.

It's just the armor lock looks INSANELY overpowerful. Right now the only weakness it has is that you're immobile when it happens. It should temporarily kill all your shields IMO, but it doesnt. It just freezes them in place (no recharge).

Spasm said:
Got back on my feet a bit and fulfilled my own request:

http://i42.tinypic.com/dxhhl3.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]

This part of the ViDoc made me say "holy shit" out loud at work. Beautiful shot, and I love the tank barrel flying around.

FUCK! now that I watched the vidoc twice and bought ODST I am in such a big halo mood now, problem is that I only have halo 2 here to play currently :lol sold halo 3 long ago, ODST and the H3 multi disc would do nicely right about now... getting twitchy...

ooh wait I forgot I own halo 2 on pc, might have to adventure in and see if anyone is online.

I have some gif requests.

Not to use as avatars just to see them. Basically any of the New arms animations. They look so much better. Before my argument was they're dead so they shouldn't be moving. But now that I see the new ones, I guess the old ones just looked bad/dated. With the new ones the body wriggles, contorts, and flips all at the same time. Its pretty amazing and realistic in terms of movement. I guess we can pretend the subsequent impact kills them. :D

Anyway here are the times.

22s

2:17

3:05

I think you guys gif'ed the others.

Replays are fully shareable in the beta right? someone here with HD capture equipment or a HD camera needs to grab some gaf games before the beta ends, or are bungie going to allow that video rendering stuff for this?

Truant said:
Image quality seems vastly improved, yes?
Game is 720p this time I think, am I right?

S1kkZ

Diablohead said:
Replays are fully shareable in the beta right? someone here with HD capture equipment or a HD camera needs to grab some gaf games before the beta ends, or are bungie going to allow that video rendering stuff for this?
they allow it.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I have some gif requests.

Not to use as avatars just to see them. Basically any of the New arms animations. They look so much better. Before my argument was they're dead so they shouldn't be moving. But now that I see the new ones, I guess the old ones just looked bad/dated. With the new ones the body wriggles, contorts, and flips all at the same time. Its pretty amazing and realistic in terms of movement. I guess we can pretend the subsequent impact kills them. :D

Anyway here are the times.

22s

2:17

3:05

I think you guys gif'ed the others.

Agreed, and I LOVE all of those, especially the last one. Talking of the last one, that Covenant map looks interesting - I wonder just how many environments we will see in Reach.

JohnIIVII

LTTP! Finally got home from work and watched the Vidoc!.............there are no words :') Now time to read all these new pages and catch up. :D Also, I have a feeling my wallet is going to be $150 lighter come this fall.

Top Bottom