• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

ShinAmano

Just watched the new Vidoc...I am so glad I have Super occupying so much of my mind until the Beta hits...it will make the wait less painful.

GhaleonEB said:
1) I don't really care for stuff like that. I gave away the Johnson code from ODST as well.

2) In Reach, armor is earned. I enjoy that meta-RPG kind of approach, and I'll enjoy gradually acquiring all of the various armor components. Odds are slim I'd ever slap on the Legendary DLC, as I'll be wanting to wear that helmet I spent a week saving up for instead.

3) I like giving stuff away. It makes someone happy, which makes me happy. I'm weird like that.

Awesome medals. Love the Opportunist. :lol

So are Race and Juggernaut in the public Beta?

Your a good man! Im going to be waiting day 1 to try and snag it.

As for that picture - no doubt its just a clipping problem, I noticed near the end of the vidoc the jetpack went through the assassinators body (8.03 of the vidoc onwards), I doubt they would be that brutal!

I also zoomed in on the Limited edition packaging to have a sneaky read of the booklet page we can see, the medical card on the left of the booklet is for Spartan 117! If He makes it into the game somehow (even just as a voice over a radio) I will be SO happy.

StUnNeR H2K

Do we know the exact time the BETA will begin on May 3rd? Is this a midnight thing or a early AM thing? I have yet to see anything about a specific time yet...

Just noticed something interesting in the ViDoc. At about 5:23, the lone Blue Team player goes into armor lock and seemingly kills one of the Red Team members that's rushing him from the right. I know the ability is supposed to lower shields, but I didn't realize it could kill a player that was fairly close (but why didn't it kill the guys behind him?). Do you guys think his shields were already down?

Zomo

Wonder what time it will be in Australia when the beta gets launched. I will drop EVERYTHING I'm doing for reach though :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
damnit! think i'll prolly pick up the LE

then again buyin LEs is usually a bad idea since i got burned on buying the last 2 halo LEs at launch.... yet i still fall for it every time like already having the alan wake LE preordered :lol

StUnNeR H2K said:
Do we know the exact time the BETA will begin on May 3rd? Is this a midnight thing or a early AM thing? I have yet to see anything about a specific time yet...

IIRC Halo 3 Beta went up (or was supposed to for Crackdown peeps) at 5 a.m. PDT?

Zomo

Nelo Ice said:
damnit! think i'll prolly pick up the LE

then again buyin LEs is usually a bad idea since i got burned on buying the last 2 halo LEs at launch.... yet i still fall for it every time like already having the alan wake LE preordered :lol
Yeah i'm a sucker for collectors editions. The only problem is that games are way overpriced in Australia :(

StUnNeR H2K said:
I think whenever the Beta starts on Thursday for F&F is the time you can find the Beta up for everyone else on the third.

GhaleonEB

Not a Jellyfish said:
Just finished watching new Vidoc and I definitely have to watch it again...several times. It is full of awesome. :D
Yeah I keep just playing it on loop. :lol

24gsndj.jpg

Other than seeing Race as a stand-alone game type, this was my favorite moment of the video.

Animated .gif request: could someone do the guy uncloaking at 2:40, and a slowed-down version of this dude sailing out the door at 5:22?

Popeck said:
Do you mean the needler kill medal, the pink one?

Opportunist - Kill someone while he is reloading
Close call - Kill someone while being without shields
Headcase - Headshot a sprinting enemy
Damn, sounds like there's going to be a lot of medal spam in the corner of the screen. Hopefully not all of these are voiced, or I may one day grow tired of the dear old announcer.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
Damn, sounds like there's going to be a lot of medal spam in the corner of the screen. Hopefully not all of these are voiced, or I may one day grow tired of the dear old announcer.
They seem to be taking the ODST approach to medal announcements, with only rare or critical events and medals called out.

Shake Appeal said:

It sounds like only the multi kills or objective notifications are like in Halo 3.

While I'm doling out minor complaints, if the Legendary edition is mass-produced on the scale of Halo 3's, a staggering amount of people are going to be rocking flaming-head armour, and that, frankly, will look ridiculous and be annoying.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Also had to say it but by the look of the DMR in that vid, I don't think I will miss the DMR too much and the bloom effect on the reticule looks amazing. :D

Even the little glimpses they showed of the Needle Rifle looked pretty sweet.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm seeing a distinct lack of behind the scenes, making-of extras in these sets, which is the thing I look for the most above all else. The Halo 2 documentary was superb and I was hoping for a Reach version. :(
GhaleonEB said:
2) In Reach, armor is earned. I enjoy that meta-RPG kind of approach, and I'll enjoy gradually acquiring all of the various armor components. Odds are slim I'd ever slap on the Legendary DLC, as I'll be wanting to wear that helmet I spent a week saving up for instead.
I'm hopeful that:
1) The lack of a behind-the-scenes DVD this time is a hint that it's a standard feature in the game (a la Valve's developer commentary modes), which would be so much cooler anyways.
2) These armor permutations, both of which I find cool, can be unlocked through the RPG progression you're talking about. It would really be a bummer if the only way to "earn" those perms is by emptying your non-credit wallet, the one that gets filled not by Double Kills but by, you know, actual work. Lame.

With that said, that Halsey journal might be enough to convince me to at least go limited edition. After all, last time I went normal and then ended up buying the Legendary discs on eBay anyways. $150 just seems like an awful lot of money, especially since I'm more inclined to hide the statue in shame than display it proudly.

DualX said:
And this doesn't even include the pre-order bonus you'll get at good ol' GameStop.
You can't be serious. All of this "exclusive weapon/armor/map/gametype" bullshit at Gamestop is only pre-ordering them an exclusive bonus for their time in the seven circles. No way Bungie would pull the "buy it here not there" b.s. that EA and 2K have been pulling.

I'm extremely surprised nobody has mentioned all of the new music throughout the ViDoc. Some really good stuff in there. Big ups Marty.

And oh my god, Luke (both, but specifically Smith) was fucking awesome in this video. The "Death Star" and "rain death on the Plebeians" quotes were epic, and his excitement about the design decisions is perfectly echoed by footage of gunplay that looks more fun than anything H2 or H3 has offered. BRB gonna go PM Letters and ask for either a Sage beard or a lukems beard, his choice.

Game looks so. good.

derFeef

GhaleonEB said:
Animated .gif request: could someone do the guy uncloaking at 2:40, and a slowed-down version of this dude sailing out the door at 5:22?
reach_decloak.gif

I can not find the other guy though?

Gui_PT said:
Ghal, I think you mean 3:59

As for the gifs, I have no idea how to do that or I'd help

Edit:

3:49

thx, will do!

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:

Edit:
derFeef said:

Mayyhem

My god I just watched the ViDoc. A single tear strolled down my cheek.

The hype just went threw the damn roof that was so amazing. I have little to say other than how great that ViDoc was and how awesome this game will be.

Still torn between the Legendary or Limited editions though

derFeef said:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/Halo%20Reach/reach_decloak.gif

thx, will do!

Which software are you using?

You couldnt grab 26-28 for me could you, I LOVE the way that spartan falls.

message from my girlfriend;

"yes and where does mr. chief's head live now? in your trunk... go for limited. all the good stuff without the dust collector"

I Must push back, help me push back.

lol at mr. chief.

Cetra

Just watched the ViDoc. Holy shit is all that really springs to mind. Reach is looking like a whole new beast.

And I'm leaning really heavily towards that Legendary Edition. Noble Team would look quite awesome on my desk at work with my WoW statues and other random VG stuff. :D

VaLiancY

I love how the DMR looks like a real gun, you can see the amount of detail they put in the model. While in other games we get shit like this. I tip my hat your artist and modelers, Bungie!

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:

Edit:

Whoops, sorry. I let the video play after I'd grabbed the screenshot and then took that time down. Thanks.

DualX

I envy all of you, I still haven't given the chance to watch this vid yet. I'll have to wait until after I get home from work..

Syracuse022 said:
You can't be serious.
You know they will.

Ramirez said:
Don't think music will ever be a part of MP, Marty has explained why before, I don't quite remember the reasoning, maybe that it's impossible to actually score something that is so dynamic? Or maybe they just like the audio as sterile and clean as the environments...

Right on. I can totally see that being the case. The only reason i ask is because there seems to be allot going on in Reach's multiplayer. It border lines a campaign encounter with ships flying in the sky, different squads, covenant vs humans, multiple objectives, and campaign levels. Which is all awesome thinking about it. :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The way the Wraith exploded from the PL's shots was INSANE. The shaky camera and all the other new effects just made it look like an atom bomb dropped on the Wraith. :lol

Merguson

Banned
Just noticed the editions, looks pretty cool but I'm still a standard edition guy.

I just want to clarify on one thing though, player health and vehicle health are separate now right?

Does that mean that the player will still receive damage while still in the vehicle or does it depend on what vehicle the player is in? For example, in a warthog the player will still receive damage but in a wraith they won't because they are totally protected.

Top Bottom