• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

chapel

Banned
Ssparks said:
Also, Im a man now:D :D
Ssparks
(Today, 01:00 AM)
Congrats... if only they would reinstate my member status. Sucks being a lowly junior all the time. At least give me a title like "permanent junior" or something so people know Im not just a regular junior... technically not a junior at all, at least when it comes to time here and posting.

So with the beta coming to a close, we have only 4 days left. I was wondering if anyone was interested in working on a montage. I don't have a capture card, so my only option would be to download rendered films. I wouldn't mind doing the compiling and editing, just need clips. If you have any clips you want in a montage, send me a pm with a link. I don't think all the clips have to be l33t kills, but anything funny or cool. I'd say no more than 10 clips per person. Since they are going to purge all things reach, please get me the links by the 19th.

GodfatherX said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1047353
edit: nevermind...looks like somebody rendered it already...not sure who but thanks
I have only dreamed of a situation like that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
chapel said:
Congrats... if only they would reinstate my member status. Sucks being a lowly junior all the time. At least give me a title like "permanent junior" or something so people know Im not just a regular junior... technically not a junior at all, at least when it comes to time here and posting.

shut up junior

<3

feel

GodfatherX said:
edit: nevermind...looks like somebody rendered it already...not sure who but thanks
GOT DAMN

mw46mr.jpg

Brainboy

Finally got to play some Generator Defense. It's actually a pretty fun gametype by itself, so I hope they at least consider putting it in the final game as is, or as a part of something larger (Invasion, perhaps?).

The lag does usually interrupt the fun a bit, of course, but just now I had a very smooth game. So perhaps whatever-Bungie-is-hiding can work after all, with some extra tweaks?

Oh, and did anyone else notice that there are no post-game stats for this gametype? They exist on B.net, but not in the game. The commendations screen is a bit different, as well, with something called 'playlist awards', I think.

Gui_PT

Brainboy said:
Finally got to play some Generator Defense. It's actually a pretty fun gametype by itself, so I hope they at least consider putting it in the final game as is, or as a part of something larger (Invasion, perhaps?).

The lag does usually interrupt the fun a bit, of course, but just now I had a very smooth game. So perhaps whatever-Bungie-is-hiding can work after all, with some extra tweaks?

Oh, and did anyone else notice that there are no post-game stats for this gametype? They exist on B.net, but not in the game. The commendations screen is a bit different, as well, with something called 'playlist awards', I think.

They're running something else in the background, that's why they won't show you the post-game carnage

Btw, i have these 4 if someone has any available render minutes. I'd appreciate it

Edit: Btw, does someone want to get a party for generator defense to play this afternoon?

Brainboy said:

Well, I don't think they would test something if it couldn't work at all, so of course it's possible that it can work after all.

pringles

Played a game of Generator Defense and have to say the only good thing about it was the beautiful map. Campaign will be awesome.
Seemed way too easy for Elites to destroy the generators. I know it's just a Beta-thing but I hope no one convinces Bungie to add this gametype to the retail game.

FFChris said:
Damn, that video goes to show how overpowered the Plasma Launcher is. Ridiculous! :lol
It's only overpowered in very specific situations, such as when 4 people are running towards you across a narrow bridge :lol

FFChris

pringles said:
It's only overpowered in very specific situations, such as when 4 people are running towards you across a narrow bridge :lol

I just think it is too powerful full stop. One homing shot to kill a person, effective at any range except very close, very difficult to get away from in open space if you are fired at, plus if you are using it single shot (I always do) you have loads of ammo. To top it all, it's a one hit kill!

Minor complaint, and I only really first realized why it annoyed me when playing as an Elite, but when Spartans lunge for a melee they do that 'juke' animation which makes them literally move like a boxer, they put theyre head down and to the side. Its a cool animation, but when playing as an Elite it can get quite hard keeping track of theyre head, even playing as a Spartan its weird sometimes having the enemy move in such a unpredictable fashion.

+1 for the Homing nade laucher being overpowered, essentially all you need to do is keep lock on a enemy for a split second and your going to get easy kills. Its almost impossible to dodge the thing, hopefully it doesnt show up on too many maps, I actually prefer the laser because it has less ammo and you have to aim the thing.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
GodfatherX said:

I've been saying this for years now, and I'll probably never ever get tired of saying it either, but this is why I friggin' love Saved Films in Halo - if you have just posted that you did this, we'd all be just like "yeah, okay" or "yeah, that's great" and move on, but now we can watch that and even download it...

Love it.

FFChris said:
I just think it is too powerful full stop. One homing shot to kill a person, effective at any range except very close, very difficult to get away from in open space if you are fired at, plus if you are using it single shot (I always do) you have loads of ammo. To top it all, it's a one hit kill!

This might just be me... but I have taken out dudes head on with one of those. it's all about moving around and jumping.

I like the guy at the end trying to kill you before they all die. Too late sucker!

Also this needs to be made into some kind of fail .gif or something.

Just played some NT1, lovely game mode I like it a lot, spartans shotty can be annoying when an elite but if you hang back and rain death on them via needles or plasma grenades they will soon realise that they made a bad choice in weapon layout :D

Fun mode and I hope Bungie add it to reach, I can see myself playing generator defense more then invasion.

mescalineeyes said:
this... if it wasn't for the sluggish perfomance. beta, eh?
I had one burst of lag in my match and that was when I tried to throw a nade after shooting a rocket (which drops near gen C, very handy) but right now i'm on a 50meg/1.75meg line so if I was hosting maybe it was ok :lol

Will play more later on and probably bump into the lag you all talk about.

Hydranockz said:
Played a few games, I have some sick sticks (case 1 and case 2 if anyone will be kind enough to render)
I thought the Spartan colours were your own on NT1, however I noticed they weren'y. Are they determined by your loadout?
Here zeouterlimits. There is the jetpack stick but the one that the guy set me the message after is there too. Didn't even realise I had gotten that stick :p

pringles said:
Nah. The lock-on for Infantry needs to be removed. It really is ridiculous.
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. I'd love to roll through NT1 with a few other GAFers, but I couldn't find anyone else on to play with just now. Two games in, and I'm done trying to play alongside two random idiots with no mic who don't know how to play the gametype.
Post when you can get on today, and I'll see if I can be on.

pringles

Dax01 said:
Nah. The lock-on for Infantry needs to be removed. It really is ridiculous..
It would be beyond useless if they did that. It's a power weapon, just like Rockets it should be dangerous. I would suggest lowering the ammo or maybe increasing the time it takes to lock on.

I've been playing NT1 for a little bit, and I really enjoy the gameplay dynamic, the netcode they use for NT1 seems very, very different. I've never noticed this in any Halo game, but even when the game appears to be running smoothly, the lag manifests in input lag. Their is a slight delay between button press and action occurring on screen. Their is a small, but discernible pause between presses and actions.

I am fully aware that NT1 is primarily for putting the netcode through the ringer, but I don't really understand what exactly is putting the stress on the code. It's a three on three objective based game, Bungie's been doing that fine since Halo 2.

There must be something else going on in the game not visible to the player, maybe AIs are fighting on another area of the level to see if six players could keep sync in a Firefight game? I don't know for sure, but Bungie's definitely keeping something from the player in this network test.

Very, very interesting.

Imperial Hot said:
I've been playing NT1 for a little bit, and I really enjoy the gameplay dynamic, the netcode they use for NT1 seems very, very different. I've never noticed this in any Halo game, but even when the game appears to be running smoothly, the lag manifests in input lag. Their is a slight delay between button press and action occurring on screen. Their is a small, but discernible pause between presses and actions.

I am fully aware that NT1 is primarily for putting the netcode through the ringer, but I don't really understand what exactly is putting the stress on the code. It's a three on three objective based game, Bungie's been doing that fine since Halo 2.

There must be something else going on in the game not visible to the player, maybe AIs are fighting on another area of the level to see if six players could keep sync in a Firefight game? I don't know for sure, but Bungie's definitely keeping something from the player in this network test.

Very, very interesting.
Indeed indeed. I am very interested as to how they are doing it. People have gotten outside the map right? So would they not have see something? Perhaps there is a secret Crypt place where they have crazy amounts of AI killing each other haha.

-Yeti said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

I love how everyone on the team jumps as if it's gonna help them avoid certain death.
Bungie has told us it would work. Perhaps not in any conventional manner but damnit it, it has been imprinted on to my brain to jump when stuck! :lol

Xun

My stats are terrible.

Good thing it'll be reset eventually! :p

Loving the beta a lot though, I just wish it lasted a bit longer... :(

Also just out of curiosity, what control settings do you guys use?

IZZO

Neo Member
NOKYARD said:
I guess the montage maker hates Halo: Reach because my girlfriend's daughter got revenge on him? :lol

bobs99 ... said:
Haha, congrats to her. That montage is really good though, I love how he makes fools of campers. :lol

More from the same guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4oM3RWl6Es&annotation_id=annotation_296760&feature=iv

Some of this is amazing, I have never seen a player be so cheeky and get away with it. :lol

Wow. Never seen anyone play like that.

Makes me want to play halo 3 and try some of those moves.:lol

Xun said:
My stats are terrible.

Good thing it'll be reset eventually! :p

Loving the beta a lot though, I just wish it lasted a bit longer... :(

Also just out of curiosity, what control settings do you guys use?

I use Defualt (lots of fun with the Jetpack), but I used BJ in Halo 3, and still get confused in Reach, it doesnt help that I cant make the distinction between Jetpacking and Jumping. :lol I think when the full game comes out, if I get all competative with it Ill switch to BJ, at the moment though its too much fun just jetpacking around. Only problem is when I have Sprint equiped and need to jump, sometimes I still run right into my enemy. :lol

Izzo I hate to make this comparison, and ive tried to avoid the whining because it seems a bit pointless and dissing Reach doesnt seem cool (ive come to enjoy it), but its the houdini acts and movement in those videos that I think I miss the most from Halo 3 going into Reach.

Hydranockz said:
Bungie has told us it would work. Perhaps not in any conventional manner but damnit it, it has been imprinted on to my brain to jump when stuck! :lol
I usually do that as a means to save any teammates around me from splash damage. Nothing sucks more than when a teammate who is stuck then runs into you.

Ramirez

I still don't understand how anyone is actually having fun with the crosshair bloom mechanic. I have never felt so helpless in a game as to when I know my shot is going to kill someone, I get a different result in every fight. Random=fun?

Ramirez said:
I still don't understand how anyone is actually having fun with the crosshair bloom mechanic. I have never felt so helpless in a game as to when I know my shot is going to kill someone, I get a different result in every fight. Random=fun?

you're supposed to wait for the bloom to go away to have a fully accurate shot.... it's not really random. I think it's alright, I am used to it from other games.

IZZO

Neo Member
bobs99 ... said:
I use Defualt (lots of fun with the Jetpack), but I used BJ in Halo 3, and still get confused in Reach, it doesnt help that I cant make the distinction between Jetpacking and Jumping. :lol I think when the full game comes out, if I get all competative with it Ill switch to BJ, at the moment though its too much fun just jetpacking around. Only problem is when I have Sprint equiped and need to jump, sometimes I still run right into my enemy. :lol

Izzo I hate to make this comparison, and ive tried to avoid the whining because it seems a bit pointless and dissing Reach doesnt seem cool (ive come to enjoy it), but its the houdini acts and movement in those videos that I think I miss the most from Halo 3 going into Reach.
Yeah I understand that.

But to me Reach is a different experience and I'm sure that given time reach would have its own cool tricks and moves. I love them both. :D

something like this :p

pringles said:
It would be beyond useless if they did that. It's a power weapon, just like Rockets it should be dangerous. I would suggest lowering the ammo or maybe increasing the time it takes to lock on.
It would be nowhere "beyond useless." It can still be used against vehicles.

Ramirez said:

I still don't understand this. Why is it so random? I guess if you have half of your enemy's head in the crosshair, then it's random.

To each his own...

Gui_PT

mescalineeyes said:
you're supposed to wait for the bloom to go away to have a fully accurate shot.... it's not really random. I think it's alright, I am used to it from other games.

It really is random when you're a situation where you don't have the time to let the bloom go back down

Raide

Ramirez said:

It really is fun to nail 4 shots, watch them panic and try and escape to regen shields, and then take a deep breath and nail 1 more shot to the bonce for the kill :lol

Top Bottom