• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

LTTP I'm sure but Network Test 1 is completely unplayable for me. It feels like I'm playing a laggy co-op game. Inputs take 1/2 second plus to respond, and good luck with close quarters battles...

Tashi0106 said:
So the rate has changed? Interesting. :D All of these changes that are coming to the final game make me want to play the Beta less and less. It's going to be so different.

Thank god. I like the pistol. I see why some Halo fans adore it. But it was meant to be optimal at mid-range and right now its not only perfect in that range, its also obscenely powerful in close range.

At close range, the AR should have more of an advantage because of the lowered accuracy of the pistol, but the accuracy doesn't go down far enough to compensate for the damage of each shot. If the AR doesnt have an advantage against the other spawn weapon at any range its a useless weapon.

So either the pistol needs to be fixed or the AR needs to be removed. Neither would really kill me, but as someone that likes to see a lot of different weapons in play Id prefer to see the latter.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
mescalineeyes said:
god knows the pistol doesn't need to be nerfed. if anything, the AR needs a bit of a buff. it's pretty useless as it is.
I can't imagine a matchup where the AR would win.

I'm actually starting to use to AR as a "shit, I ran out of ammo in my magnum" instead of reloading the magnum. I've been doing alright with it. However, lately I've been playing Invasion and Network Test 1 so it's almost only DMR baby!

Tashi0106 said:
So the rate has changed? Interesting. :D All of these changes that are coming to the final game make me want to play the Beta less and less. It's going to be so different.

;_;

j75jkl.png

i loved the pistol....

Tashi0106 said:
I'm actually starting to use to AR as a "shit, I ran out of ammo in my magnum" instead of reloading the magnum. I've been doing alright with it. However, lately I've been playing Invasion and Network Test 1 so it's almost only DMR baby!

well, I think that when the beta is over, the stats will speak for themselves.

Bungie obviously know what they are doing most of the time, and the fact that the beta is as solid as it is proves that.

Lazslo

Has anyone else started to hold down the needle rifle trigger instead of pulling it with individual rounds? It seems to work pretty good so far. Does anyone else do this and does it compromise the accuracy of the gun?

Has anyone else noticed that the more games of NT1 you play, the less the input lag becomes prevalent? The first three games I participated in yesterday were almost unplayable, but by the end of my session, it was completely unnoticeable.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ssparks said:
Has anyone else started to hold down the needle rifle trigger instead of pulling it with individual rounds? It seems to work pretty good so far. Does anyone else do this and does it compromise the accuracy of the gun?

It does. Hamrick, one of our sandbox dudes, says lay off a bit after three automatic shots for best results.

mescalineeyes said:
god knows the pistol doesn't need to be nerfed. if anything, the AR needs a bit of a buff. it's pretty useless as it is.
I can't imagine a matchup where the AR would win.

It's not useless, it just DEMANDS to be paired with grenades or melees for an efficient kill, while the pistol is capable of killing at both mid and short range without such support.

Nerf the pistol, buff the AR, I dont care just give me a good reason to use both.

The AR reminds me of the nailgun in Quake, quick rate of fire and sounded impressive...but in reality (1 v 1) was beaten by every other weapon.

As some have suggested, the damage dealt by the pistol should be reduced (certainly at the edge of medium range) and the AR needs to have more effect at short to medium range. Move it closer to the DMR capability (without scope), and position it as a close combat weapon that can also be used for suppression fire.

Thagomizer said:
Has anyone else noticed that the more games of NT1 you play, the less the input lag becomes prevalent? The first three games I participated in yesterday were almost unplayable, but by the end of my session, it was completely unnoticeable.

Interesting, they mentioned that database in a podcast before about how they are collecting info on players connections, maybe they are using NT1 to test how accurate that DB is? If they are doing some back end trickery which checks players connections and somehow reduces lag based on that, it would be insane. I dont know how that could work, but if they have enough information on your connection they could somehow tune it to work best based on the players in the match?

Before I get too excited, its probably more likely you just adapted to it?

Thagomizer said:
Only played the three games yesterday, but this would make sense if it was building a sort of "regional map" of preferred connections.

dslgunstar said:
It's not useless, it just DEMANDS to be paired with grenades or melees for an efficient kill, while the pistol is capable of killing at both mid and short range without such support.

I'd argue that the pistol is even more capable with melee than the AR is, as 4 shots from that tiny thing pop the shield faster than the 20+ it takes with the AR.

bobs99 ... said:
No, there was definitely a sharp reduction of lag. I started timing it once I noticed it, and it had gone down to almost nothing.

Say "one-and" out loud. Unless you have a very drawn-out accent or speaking style, that's about how much lag I was getting at the start. I had to use the shotgun and AR because by the time the game registered the button, the guy had already moved out of the reticle.

Thagomizer said:
No, there was definitely a sharp reduction of lag. I started timing it once I noticed it, and it had gone down to almost nothing.

Say the word "one" out loud. Unless you have a very drawn-out accent or speaking style, that's about how much lag I was getting at the start.

Thats sweet, the networking guys at Bungie guys are wizards.
Magic? Burn them!!!

GhaleonEB said:
I honestly don't mind the bloom mechanics, and I do think it's a differentiator in skill. But I don't think it's necessary, because Halo's gameplay has always had enough basis in skill already. It complicates what has historically been an elegant combat system.

Imagine if the bloom was gone and the DMR and Magnum each had a fixed firing rate, the DMR a bit slower than the Magnum, which would keep its current recoil. Everything else about them would remain the same as current. The DMR would remain the superior weapon at long range, the Magnum powerful at close and mid. The single-shot weapons, plus the minimum five-shot kill and reduced aim assist, already means they will take more skill to use than the BR with its burst fire, as you need to land more shots more accurately. And there would be the added layer of knowing when to use which.

I think it would be a more satisfying experience than what we have now.
I agree with this. Get rid of the bloom for the DMR, Pistol, and the Nerfle. Keep it for the AR and the Plasma Repeater: the bloom is fun only on those two weapons.

I think part of the reason bloom was incorporated and part of the reason its here to stay (regardless of fan feedback) is because MLG has such a huge hard-on for the gameplay mechanics in Shadowrun.

I liked Shadowrun, but it was a completely different beast, so trying to fit those mechanics into Halo feels odd.

bobs99 ... said:
Interesting, they mentioned that database in a podcast before about how they are collecting info on players connections, maybe they are using NT1 to test how accurate that DB is? If they are doing some back end trickery which checks players connections and somehow reduces lag based on that, it would be insane. I dont know how that could work, but if they have enough information on your connection they could somehow tune it to work best based on the players in the match?

Conventional MP uses the same backend; it was one of the major improvements in Reach.

The basic idea is that it uses IP addresses to predict who you should have low latency to and therefore hopefully who you should have good games with. Unlike conventional geolocation though, it adapts based on how good the games are, so if the ranges change, or even if cables get severed or something, it will still work once it figures things out.

The only thing the game can do to reduce lag when it knows your connection is to send less information out if it detects problems, and only send the really important stuff. That's not a new feature; that goes as far back as H2. It also can't apply here because in campaign it needs to send everything.

I've had a bunch of really good games today. But then again, I had a bunch of pretty good games yesterday; I didn't find that many games to be laggy. And on the occasion it was laggy, the game quickly went "oh shit, it's laggy, better migrate to a new host", which almost always fixed things.

zumphry

Banned
I gotta say, this screenshot I just took scream badass to me. :lol

Though, it's stupid that the other one like this (just from a different angle) is blocked because I named it "Badass". Can't even change the name to even put it on my file share. :|

reach_1278476_Full.jpg

Sorry for the huge size.

Lazslo

urk said:
It does. Hamrick, one of our sandbox dudes, says lay off a bit after three automatic shots for best results.
Oh nice, thanks for the pro-tip. Since I started hold down the trigger, I started to enjoy the gun more. I hold it down for 3-4 shots then slow it down and go to headshots for the kill. I noticed a significant difference so far but it could be all in my head.

bobs99 ... said:
Halo Live HD? Interesting...

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=985570

I so hope this is real, if this is an XBLA version of Halo 1 with online play, I would be SO happy.
No F'in way. Wow, if they could manage to put match-making in Halo CE it would be wild. I'm pretty sure they would have to re-write the whole networking model because it uses the distributed model I believe. Also on a related note, I don't know shit about networking.

Dax01 said:
I agree with this. Get rid of the bloom for the DMR, Pistol, and the Nerfle. Keep it for the AR and the Plasma Repeater: the bloom is fun only on those two weapons.
Without bloom the pistol cannot exist and be a satisfying weapon.

Think about it, with no bloom the pistol as it stands now would be a total beast in short to long range. You could drop anyone at midrange in a second; it's the ce pistol all over again. To balance that they would need to either slow rof down, making it useless in cqb, or give it more spread to gimp it at longer ranges. Either way it's a far less satisfying weapon, basically the halo 3 pistol, or halo 2 pistol.

The dmr could use some work, both in its spread and visual indication o bloom.

Oozer3993

Thagomizer said:

Complete opposite for me. The first couple games were pretty good, but it just got worse and worse with every game until it became unplayable. It was not even registering most of my actions the last game.

pringles

electricpirate said:

Think about it, with no bloom the pistol as it stands now would be a total beast in short to long range. You could drop anyone at midrange in a second; it's the ce pistol all over again. To balance that they would need to either slow rof down, making it useless in cqb, or give it more spread to gimp it at longer ranges. Either way it's a far less satisfying weapon, basically the halo 3 pistol, or halo 2 pistol.

The dmr could use some work, both in its spread and visual indication o bloom.
Yeah the pistol is basically all I use as it is, if they removed bloom I would never even think about maybe considering switching to another weapon :lol

GhaleonEB

One thing I try to keep in mind with NT1 is that I was much more tolerant of input lag fighting AI opponents than live ones. Learning to lead my shots as I headshot a bunch of Grunts in a row is very different than trying to handle a PvP situation. That said, I hope they're able to make some additional improvements, as even with the minimal lag I ran into, it just doesn't feel quite right.

Also, remember the first vidoc, where one of the Bungie folks is talking about playing Halo 1, and describes the scene of walking out of the pod on the first level and says something about the "beautiful, alien, huge..." landscape? And how a few weeks later Urk uses the exact same wording to describe something he saw in the studio? (IIRC, it was Dax with the catch.)

I think that E3 list is bullshit, but on the off chance it's not, that might have been the hint.

(I really don't think MS would want to muddy up Reach's release with another online Halo FPS release.)

electricpirate said:
Uh, yeah it can. *looks at ODST pistol*
Think about it, with no bloom the pistol as it stands now would be a total beast in short to long range. You could drop anyone at midrange in a second; it's the ce pistol all over again.
That's why you alter it in other ways, like rate of fire. Besides, in order to be most accurate, which is what everyone wants, you have to give it a slow rate of fire.
To balance that they would need to either slow rof down, making it useless in cqb, or give it more spread to gimp it at longer ranges.
Because spamming the pistol in close range and able to kill people with it without having to worry about bloom is such a better alternative.
Either way it's a far less satisfying weapon, basically the halo 3 pistol, or halo 2 pistol.
And it definitely wouldn't be the Halo 3 pistol because it would still have the zoom. The Halo 3 pistol would've been awesome if it had zoom. The ODST pistol is weaker than the Reach pistol, but why is it awesome? Because it has zoom.

I find the bloom annoying on any weapon that's not the AR or the PR, but maybe because it makes me bade with the weapons.

Oozer3993

GhaleonEB said:
I think that E3 list is bullshit, but on the off chance it's not, that might have been the hint.

(I really don't think MS would want to muddy up Reach's release with another online Halo FPS release.)

99.9999% chance that list is a sham. But I thought of something the other day. Last year at E3, Bungie showed off ODST and announced they're next game after that (Reach). They've been teasing New IP for years now and recently announced a publishing agreement for it, suggesting that production is decently far. They might do the same thing this year at E3. Show off their current game and tease their next one. At the very least, that's what I'm hoping they do.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:

What I saw won't be seen until after E3. You should see it now, though. It's unbelievable.

GhaleonEB said:
Also, remember the first vidoc, where one of the Bungie folks is talking about playing Halo 1, and describes the scene of walking out of the pod on the first level and says something about the "beautiful, alien, huge..." landscape? And how a few weeks later Urk uses the exact same wording to describe something he saw in the studio? (IIRC, it was Dax with the catch.)
Yup. I'm still holding out hope for that "Halo (1)" remake because of what Urk mentioned in that BWU.

zumphry

Banned
dslgunstar said:
Great shot. Standing over a dead body with the colors flying in the background. Nice.

Thanks. Kinda reminds me of the Multiplayer Map Pack disc for Halo 2, with Red team with Blue Team's flag.

Plus there's the awesome "whose your daddy" pose after an assassination in it. That always makes everything awesome. :lol

Oozer3993 said:
99.9999% chance that list is a sham. But I thought of something the other day. Last year at E3, Bungie showed off ODST and announced they're next game after that (Reach). They've been teasing New IP for years now and recently announced a publishing agreement for it, suggesting that production is decently far. They might do the same thing this year at E3. Show off their current game and tease their next one. At the very least, that's what I'm hoping they do.

Please be Marathon: Pfhor, please be Marathon: Pfhor, Please be Marathon:pfh..

PHOENIXPHOENIXPHOENIXPHOENIXPHOENIX

Dax01 said:
Uh, yeah it can. *looks at ODST pistol*

That's why you alter it in other ways, like rate of fire. Besides, in order to be most accurate, which is what everyone wants, you have to give it a slow rate of fire.

Because spamming the pistol in close range and able to kill people with it without having to worry about bloom is such a better alternative.

And it definitely wouldn't be the Halo 3 pistol because it would still have the zoom. The Halo 3 pistol would've been awesome if it had zoom. The ODST pistol is weaker than the Reach pistol, but why is it awesome? Because it has zoom.

I find the bloom annoying on any weapon that's not the AR or the PR, but maybe because it makes me bade with the weapons.
The odst pistol isn't even comparable as it isn't used in MP. And its not zoom that makes the weapon; its the damage, rof and accuracy.

electricpirate said:
The odst pistol isn't even comparable as it isn't used in MP. And its not zoom that makes the weapon; its the damage, rof and accuracy.
Yes, but the Halo 3 pistol would've been a good weapon, and used a lot, if it had a zoom. To me, the zoom is what makes the pistol a formidable weapon.

mescalineeyes said:
I'd argue that the pistol is even more capable with melee than the AR is, as 4 shots from that tiny thing pop the shield faster than the 20+ it takes with the AR.

Exactly. You CAN opt to combine the grenades and melees with the pistol to make it even more effective, but at close-to-mid range that's an option. Its still lethal without the backup.

The AR on the otherhand REQUIRES the backup of the grenades or the coup de grace of the melee in order to be lethal. So its at a disadvantage within its optimal range to a weapon outside its supposed optimal range.

Which is stupid and broken, and makes the weapon essentially worthless.

urk said:
What I saw won't be seen until after E3. You should see it now, though. It's unbelievable.

:eek:

Its interesting that description is for the new IP, large alien landscapes are what Bungie do best. I cant wait for the new IP.

bobs99 ... said:

Its interesting that description is for the new IP, large alien landscapes are what Bungie do best. I cant wait for the new IP.

Bungie's landscapes dont look Alien at all. They could all be on Earth.

Ssparks said:
I'm pretty sure they would have to re-write the whole networking model because it uses the distributed model I believe. Also on a related note, I don't know shit about networking.
I believe you're correct, the networking model for Halo: CE is synchronous lock step. with that said I honestly cannot believe how well Halo 1 used to play on XBC (or even Gamespy...). Considering the networking was designed for a simple at home LAN setup it does so well.

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes.... Why did Halo 1 literally play smoother on XBC then ODST or NT1 does on XBL?

Is it because the game was much simpler, so it didn't have to transmit as much data?... Gah I remember playing with up to eight people at times on XBC and the games ran smoothly... My internet used to be so much worse too.

I demand a reason for this!

dslgunstar said:

The Reach skyboxes (and landboxes? :lol ) are amazing and seem very alien, and stepping out of that drop pod in Halo 1 to see that vista was amazing, alien or not im glad Bungie are doing another game with big open landscapes :D .

After playing the beta is anyone else glad that things worked out the way they did between Bungie and MS?

I don't mean any disrespect to either side, but I'm very interested in seeing what MS can do with a team they are creating from the grounds up with proper funding for the first time in...well...ever? And with a new engine working exclusive on the system on an incredible I.P. I think they have the potential to really reignite the Halo name, especially if we don't see the next Halo until next gen.

On the other hand while I have a tremendous amount of respect for Bungies talent I can't help but feel as if they have lacked something since H2's release and the map packs that followed. H3 was not what I would call a let down, but ODST and Reach, while good, just aren't up to the standard that I would have expected from them this gen. I'm hoping with a new I.P and with a goal to create the most successful multiplatform title this generation that we can see them knock one out of the park.

Still buying Reach day 1 but just thought I'd throw a couple of pennies out there.

zumphry

Banned
Anyone else notice that generators (and not genertators as I was almost spelling it :lol ) don't blow up when the damage bar is showing just white on the right hand side of the screen? Is that just a bug, or is that how it's designed (or is it because there's like 1 hp of damage left on it)?

bobs99 ... said:

I don't think Urk was saying it was from the new IP. I mean, any of the latter levels of the Reach campaign won't be seen until after E3.

dslgunstar said:
Uh, yeah they do.

Top Bottom