• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
listening to the podcast bit on aim assist brought an issue to mind. i would love for aim assist to NEVER drag my aim off a target under any circumstances. if i'm targeting and shooting a player, i dont care what weapon he has in his hand, i'm actively trying to kill him. if his teammate runs out behind him do not "lock on" and drag my reticle to this new threat, even if he has a sniping plasma laser launcher. the issue doesnt happen all that frequently, but when it does, it almost certainly leads to the target surviving and getting away, or killing you before you can kill him and its crazy frustrating.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
op_ivy said:
listening to the podcast bit on aim assist brought an issue to mind. i would love for aim assist to NEVER drag my aim off a target under any circumstances. if i'm targeting and shooting a player, i dont care what weapon he has in his hand, i'm actively trying to kill him. if his teammate runs out behind him do not "lock on" and drag my reticle to this new threat, even if he has a sniping plasma laser launcher. the issue doesnt happen all that frequently, but when it does, it almost certainly leads to the target surviving and getting away, or killing you before you can kill him and its crazy frustrating.

Yeah, I really wish the aim assist was less aggressive.

Loxley

Alrighty, noob question, but the Reach beta got me yearning for some Halo 3 (which I hadn't touched in a long time) and there's something I've yet to understand but have never bothered to look into; when I look at the scoreboard and see someone named... I dunno, "xXPRO SNYPEZXx, but then I also see someone named xXPRO SNYPEZXx [1] <---- what does that indicate?

Sai-kun

Banned
Loxley said:
Alrighty, noob question, but the Reach beta got me yearning for some Halo 3 (which I hadn't touched in a long time) and there's something I've yet to understand but have never bothered to look into; when I look at the scoreboard and see someone named... I dunno, "xXPRO SNYPEZXx, but then I also see someone named xXPRO SNYPEZXx [1] <---- what does that indicate?

They have a guest.

Mayyhem said:
I also hope to see a "surprise" or two.

tumblr_kpzv9rvTyf1qzc4eao1_500.gif

There was a FIREFIGHT!!!

Genesis Knight said:
http://13.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpzv9rvTyf1qzc4eao1_500.gif
There was a FIREFIGHT!!!

I just re-watched this movie recently, and I briefly thought about the possibilities of Firefight during that part. I really hope they announce it at E3.

Church RvB said:
I just re-watched this movie recently, and I briefly thought about the possibilities of Firefight during that part. I really hope they announce it at E3.

I'm pulling for Generator Defense (or similar) objectives in FF, as the vanilla Hordesque mode in ODST became rather dull after a while.

I'm in the process of launching a new gaming site and one of the first write ups I did was my thoughts on the Reach Beta. Looking forward to launching the site:D

Gui_PT

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm in the process of launching a new gaming site and one of the first write ups I did was my thoughts on the Reach Beta. Looking forward to launching the site:D

Can I be an admin on your site? Thanks

I'm hoping Bungie will show us a little something about everything they're going to include in the game.

Campaign and Firefight mostly though <3

VVVV Is OT going to be locked during E3?

The existence of the World Cup (i.e. The Greatest Sporting Tournament on Earth) has sort of distracted me from the fact that E3 is just around the corner. A pleasant surprise.

WJD

Gui_PT said:
Can I be an admin on your site? Thanks

I'm hoping Bungie will show us a little something about everything they're going to include in the game.

Campaign and Firefight mostly though <3

VVVV Is OT going to be locked during E3?

I assume (hope) the World Cup thread will be moved over to the Gaming side and the rest of the OT will be shut down.

Lunchbox said:
this was me 3 weeks ago, i was so happy showing this pic to my friends gloating

now im out of ice cream sandwiches :(

gross[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hotdogs and bagels??
[QUOTE=Gui_PT]AND ice cream sandwich?

U mad[/QUOTE]
I am totally on board with the french fries and ice cream sandwich.

GhaleonEB

Genesis Knight said:
I'm pulling for Generator Defense (or similar) objectives in FF, as the vanilla Hordesque mode in ODST became rather dull after a while.
With Firefight now tuned for Machmaking, I have the following questions about it:

• What gametypes are included?
  • Will there be Custom Game options for Firefight, simlar to Multiplayer?
  • If so, will those options include crafting what enemies drop on each wave, and the waves themselves?
  • Will Firefight maps be Forge-able?
I'm not expecting answers to these questions until closer to ship. But it's what I really want to know about Firefight. I wish to craft a Gruntocolypse.

Captain Blood said:
Hotdogs and bagels??

I am totally on board with the french fries and ice cream sandwich.
Clearly microwaved hot dogs at that, unevenly heated. On white bread, natch.

Will Firefight maps be Forge-able?

This reminds me of my number one "how will it turn out" question:

There is only so much room on the disc for maps, and there is only so much development time and $$$ to devote to making maps. Unlike in Halo 3, Reach has a bunch of distinct gametypes that need radically different map types: at the very least there are Invasion maps, normal MP maps (which include CTF, slayer, etc etc), and firefight maps. The bottom line is you can't play FFA on Invasion maps and vice versa, and Firefight has extremely different requirements from any of the other modes.

Do you think Reach is going to ship with an ass-ton of maps or only a handful of maps per specific game type (which will still be an ass-ton of maps, but less variety inside a gametype.)

Hopefully there'll be a ton of DLC...unlikely with Bungie moving on from Halo?

I wish someone on the inside would talk about this.

GhaleonEB

Genesis Knight said:
This reminds me of my number one "how will it turn out" question:

There is only so much room on the disc for maps, and there is only so much development time and $$$ to devote to making maps. Unlike in Halo 3, Reach has a bunch of distinct gametypes that need radically different map types: at the very least there are Invasion maps, normal MP maps (which include CTF, slayer, etc etc), and firefight maps. The bottom line is you can't play FFA on Invasion maps and vice versa, and Firefight has extremely different requirements from any of the other modes.

Do you think Reach is going to ship with an ass-ton of maps or only a handful of maps per specific game type (which will still be an ass-ton of maps, but less variety inside a gametype.)

My general thought on this is, building MP maps and injecting them into campaign will have several benefits. Among the largest would be the space saved by not having separate MP and campaign spaces. I imagine a great deal of disc space is saved by reusing geometry this way (among other efficiencies).

vhfive

Shake Appeal said:
The existence of the World Cup (i.e. The Greatest Sporting Tournament on Earth) has sort of distracted me from the fact that E3 is just around the corner. A pleasant surprise.
same.
only 4 sleeps left

EDIT:
also microwaved hotdogs on white bread makes a fine meal. Throw in some kraft mac and cheese and you have yourself a truly fantastic meal.

Blueblur1

There hasn't been any confirmation that what we'll see from E3 has had all the known tweaks applied has there? Mancannon, can you shine some light on my inquiry?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Genesis Knight said:

They have. It's been stated that a small team will work as post release support for Reach, which is similar how they set things up for Halo 2 and Halo 3. Playlist management, community support and DLC content. They've clearly said they will have team working on Reach after release. Small numbers though, everyone else will be shifting over to the next project.

Bungie handled DLC support very well for Halo 2 and 3 (not that the same could be said for the publisher...) so have no worries. They did say though that it will be quite some time before we hear more about this kind of thing. Let them finish and ship the game first.

Blueblur1 said:
There hasn't been any confirmation that what we'll see from E3 has had all the known tweaks applied has there? Mancannon, can you shine some light on my inquiry?

Some of those tweaks could be multiplayer only, so we probably won't see some of them for quite a bit. Would love to be wrong.

feel

Hype! I hope the presentation is not too rushed and they have time to include that rumored surprise in there, or anything extra at all besides the campaign. If not at least I hope they have a longer more relaxed presentation for Gametrailers or G4 later during the actual E3, like they did last year for ODST.

WJD said:
I assume (hope) the World Cup thread will be moved over to the Gaming side and the rest of the OT will be shut down.
I approve of this idea.

They also should shut down Gaming on friday just as WC is starting, and say "see ya in a month"

As a 10min joke of course. :)

off topic was left open last year was it not? I don't remember it being locked down but I do remember search being disabled like it still is currently (the google search works a lot better though!)

ManCannon

Genesis Knight said:
The bottom line is you can't play FFA on Invasion maps and vice versa, and Firefight has extremely different requirements from any of the other modes.

Clarification here - You can totally play FFA/team gametypes on Invasion maps if your heart desires. Want to play Slayer or Crazy King on Boneyard? Go for it.

Hard to believe we're less than a week out from the big dance. I hope some of the screenshots I've been working on all day end up being good enough for release. :D

feel

ManCannon said:
Hard to believe we're less than a week out from the big dance. I hope some of the screenshots I've been working on all day end up being good enough for release. :D
PM me a couple and I'll let you know.

Blueblur1

ManCannon said:
Clarification here - You can totally play FFA/team gametypes on Invasion maps if your heart desires. Want to play Slayer or Crazy King on Boneyard? Go for it.

Any idea if those tweaks we've all heard about it made it into the E3 build?

GhaleonEB said:
My general thought on this is, building MP maps and injecting them into campaign will have several benefits. Among the largest would be the space saved by not having separate MP and campaign spaces. I imagine a great deal of disc space is saved by reusing geometry this way (among other efficiencies).
Well, it's actually textures that use up the space, not geometry. How curious! Maybe those MLG guys were right all along about textures being the problem!

(But yeah, it saves space. More importantly, it streamlines the design process and potentially means that we could get more maps at launch than we did in Halo 3, though I'm not sure it's in Bungie's interest to really do this, and I imagine the final number of shipping maps will be similar to 3.)

Hey You

I've been lurking this thread since the beginning. Is Firefight Confirmed besides the beta files or is everyone just assuming it's in?(Which most likely it is)

ManCannon said:

What I mean is that Invasion maps aren't going to be well suited to FFA or even most team gametypes. I'm sure they will be available for crazy customs. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hey You said:
I've been lurking this thread since the beginning. Is Firefight Confirmed besides the beta files or is everyone just assuming it's in?(Which most likely it is)

Not officially confirmed.... yet.

Genesis Knight said:
What I mean is that Invasion maps aren't going to be well suited to FFA or even most team gametypes. I'm sure they will be available for crazy customs. :D

Me and Boneyard have a sexy date with Forge 2.0 in future.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
Well, it's actually textures that use up the space, not geometry. How curious! Maybe those MLG guys were right all along about textures being the problem!

(But yeah, it saves space. More importantly, it streamlines the design process and potentially means that we could get more maps at launch than we did in Halo 3, though I'm not sure it's in Bungie's interest to really do this, and I imagine the final number of shipping maps will be similar to 3.)
I didn't specify why it saved space, because there are many reasons; I assumed everyone knew it was primarily the textures, not the geometry. Though reusing both is certainly handy. Of course, you know this better than I. The implication I was getting at, in response to Genesis Knight's post, was I'm not too worried about map counts due to the space savings found by reusing textures and geometry between modes; Bungie can presumably pack more content into the same data footprint due to the overlap. Like you, I'm also expecting a similar number of MP maps as in previous Halo games.

I think it's an open question as to whether there will be Firefight-only maps, thus requiring an additional set for that mode. Not all maps lend themselves to Firefight; Overlook was in many ways unique to the other maps in the Beta.

Kuroyume

Banned
EazyB said:
Get better at tossing grenades.

:lol Not sure if you're serious but I'll indulge. The person not moving (camping) is not on the radar. The person moving (not camping) is visible on the other player's radar. The less ambiguity the riskier it is to move at full speed and the more rewarding it is to crouch around or just sit down and stare at the radar. Camping was horrendous in Reach, not sure if Toymachine actually played the beta but no matter the gametype or the map, camping was a very successful strategy in many instances. I realize many players want the game to do as much of the situational awareness as possible as it's harder for them or they never play on a team that communicates but the new radar is like a borderline proximity enabled icon over everyone's head now. The only saving grace about its new height indicator is that it's ambiguous enough that, for example, someone on Sword Base's shotgun level will show up no differently than someone on red lift level.

Right... I understand how radar is used. First off, I don't see how camping in this game is any worse than in any of the previous games. It seemed to be more or less the same. As for the radar, if I'm killed by someone who's camping an area I simply made sure not to make a mistake of going there again, or I would crouch walk the next time through to catch them off guard assuming I had a power weapon of my own or a sticky. I've seen plenty of people complain about the camping on the lift near the flag spawn on Sword base. Well, how about tossing a bunch of those nuclear nades that many of you kept complaining about, or how about getting a jetpack and flying to the top of the balcony to catch them off guard from the other side? I seriously don't see the problem. I hated the confusion that the older radar caused. Ideally, I would prefer no radar but it isn't going to happen in all games.

ManCannon

Blueblur1 said:
Any idea if those tweaks we've all heard about it made it into the E3 build?

The content we're taking to e3 is a slice of the almost-final game at this point so yeah, it's pretty far along and would incorporate all sorts of stuff that has been added/tweaked since the beta. However I'm not entirely sure what/how-much is relevant/noticeably apparent in what we're bringing to e3.

ManCannon said:
The content we're taking to e3 is a slice of the almost-final game at this point so yeah, it's pretty far along and would incorporate all sorts of stuff that has been added/tweaked since the beta. However I'm not entirely sure what/how-much is relevant/noticeably apparent in what we're bringing to e3.
Who are we kidding here? Just play Halo 2 for 30mins and we will be happy, I swear ^^

ManCannon said:
Campaign noms.
Direct feed video please :p.
E3 kickoff of ARG please.
Post-E3 vidoc please.

:D

Blueblur1

ManCannon said:
All right. Sounds good enough to me. Thanks for answering!

Kuroyume said:
Right... I understand how radar is used. First off, I don't see how camping in this game is any worse than in any of the previous games. It seemed to be more or less the same. As for the radar, if I'm killed by someone who's camping an area I simply made sure not to make a mistake of going there again, or I would crouch walk the next time through to catch them off guard assuming I had a power weapon of my own or a sticky. I've seen plenty of people complain about the camping on the lift near the flag spawn on Sword base. Well, how about tossing a bunch of those nuclear nades that many of you kept complaining about, or how about getting a jetpack and flying to the top of the balcony to catch them off guard from the other side? I seriously don't see the problem. I hated the confusion that the older radar caused. Ideally, I would prefer no radar but it isn't going to happen in all games.

I mentioned the nade thing, they dont have the bounce. :( It would be much better if the doorway was just widened to make that spot less of a camp fest.

ManCannon said:
Good to know *wink wink*

GhaleonEB said:
I didn't specify why it saved space, because there are many reasons; I assumed everyone knew it was primarily the textures, not the geometry. Though reusing both is certainly handy. Of course, you know this better than I. The implication I was getting at, in response to Genesis Knight's post, was I'm not too worried about map counts due to the space savings found by reusing textures and geometry between modes; Bungie can presumably pack more content into the same data footprint due to the overlap. Like you, I'm also expecting a similar number of MP maps as in previous Halo games.

I think it's an open question as to whether there will be Firefight-only maps, thus requiring an additional set for that mode. Not all maps lend themselves to Firefight; Overlook was in many ways unique to the other maps in the Beta.
Right on, and I don't think space on the disc was a constraint on Halo 3's maps either. It's almost entirely about the time and energy it takes to design, make, furnish, polish, test, polish, test, polish, etc. these spaces.

Also agree Reach has an issue where maps are needed for more specific things. I can't remember where I read it, but I remember them saying they tried to make 'catch-all' maps for Halo 3, whereas Reach's maps are more gametype-specific (at least until you tinker with them in custom games). That, combined with the need for Firefight spaces, means there are more pressures on the multiplayer content creation side of things for designers.

All we can hope is a revamped Forge helps with that, because it really seems like Reach is coming in hotter than 3 did.

Wizman23

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Right on, and I don't think space on the disc was a constraint on Halo 3's maps either. It's almost entirely about the time and energy it takes to design, make, furnish, polish, test, polish, test, polish, etc. these spaces.

Also agree Reach has an issue where maps are needed for more specific things. I can't remember where I read it, but I remember them saying they tried to make 'catch-all' maps for Halo 3, whereas Reach's maps are more gametype-specific (at least until you tinker with them in custom games). That, combined with the need for Firefight spaces, means there are more pressures on the multiplayer content creation side of things for designers.

All we can hope is a revamped Forge helps with that, because it really seems like Reach is coming in hotter than 3 did.

My biggest concern has been map count as well. Halo 3 released with 11 maps which was fine considering the MP component wasn't nearly as robust as Reach. I would be pretty pissed if we only get like 4 arena maps, 4 Invasion maps, and 4 firefight maps at launch for Reach. 12 maps overall sounds good but each gametype would get stale as hell with only 4 maps rotating. I also hope that Invasion isn't the new Big Team Battle. Invasion is cool and all, but I'm hoping in addition to Invasion we also get a normal Big Team Battle hopper like with Halo 3.

I'm just going to go ahead and call it, more maps then we are used to.

4-5 Invasion maps
10 Arena/Classic maps
6-7 Firefight maps

8-9 hour campagin.

infinate new maps due to the amazing new forge 2.0 map editor

Top Bottom