• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

-PXG-

Najaf said:
assasinationElite.gif

Wow, and I thought tea-bagging looked bad.

Donkey punch, Halo style.

I posted it in the other thread first by mistake oops

But my opinion on what Bumper Jumper should be for Reach:

LT - nade
RT - shoot
LB - Jump
RB - AA

Y - swap weapons
B - melee
A - Switch nades
X - Reload

This would feel pretty natural to me as the face buttons are very much the same as Halo 3 bumper jumper in this configuration apart from melee and reload, but the defualt scheme for Halo 2 maps those well. :D

LB and RB for the AA's and Jumping would allow aiming while jumping or using AA's.

It may be better to swap LB and RB - shooting at the moment of jumping wouldnt be as important as shooting while jetpacking I guess.

Not a Jellyfish said:
Was speculated in the other thread for a long time when we saw credits in the Tom Morello screens, and then speculated further when we saw the word "Loadouts" in the MP trailer.

Wish it was still in there, me and Trasher were advocated for it. :lol
Hmm... I didn't notice that.

It would be nice to allow for an economy-system in Reach through Custom Games. HINT, HINT, BUNGIE.

C'mon, re-purpose and reuse an already built system and you've got instant added depth to the variety of the Custom Games, maybe even have a matchmaking playlist/Double EXP for it?

NOKYARD

squidhands said:
Wow, I totally missed that bit of information. Good to know. So does this mean we need to clean out our H3 fileshare, or are we getting a separate one for Reach?
I wish we could have a unique file share for every game. Mine might not be a normal case, but when entire communities are linking to your file share you can't just swap out items willy-nilly. I suppose i could toss the 5 files and 7 screen shots from my Atlas submission to make room, since that was (mostly) a waste of time.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Cuban Legend said:
Hmm... I didn't notice that.

It would be nice to allow for an economy-system in Reach through Custom Games. HINT, HINT, BUNGIE.

C'mon, re-purpose and reuse an already built system and you've got instant added depth to the variety of the Custom Games, maybe even have a matchmaking playlist/Double EXP for it?

I think the economy-system would work for more hardcore stuff, like if people vote for "Pro" or in some Arena settings. Would be pretty sweet. :D

feel

bobs99 ... said:
I posted it in the other thread first by mistake oops

But my opinion on what Bumper Jumper should be for Reach:

LT - nade
RT - shoot
LB - Jump
RB - AA

Y - swap weapons
B - melee
A - Switch nades
X - Reload

This would feel pretty natural to me as the face buttons are very much the same as Halo 3 bumper jumper in this configuration apart from melee and reload, but the defualt scheme for Halo 2 maps those well. :D

LB and RB for the AA's and Jumping would allow aiming while jumping or using AA's.
I like it.

NOKYARD said:
Pro tip: Don't bother with exploration for the first game on each new map. Just play normally to get a feel for the map. Right after the match ends go into Theatre, let it play for a few seconds (to allow for drop-spawn weapons), pause the film and explore using the fly-cam. This allows you to see the map's default layout, with every placed weapon on it's native spawn, and no randomly dropped weapons to confuse you. You can also fly around the map's natural boundaries so you don't waste time trying to jetpack to an unreachable ledge during a match.
I cannot imagine having the will power to play one game and then taking a break to just fly around the map.

I am curious how much time I am going to spend with Reach before I take my first break... I'll make occasional posts here on GAF while getting matched up, but I could see playing for a solid 8 hours at least the first time I sit down with this game.

SpudBud

Domino Theory said:
Now that default has melee on the RB, I'm sticking to that.

Goodbye Bumper Jumper! You will be missed.
Oh you crazy Omlet, the best thing about Bumper Jumper was the jump button being on the LB.

Popeck

From the other thread:

GhaleonEB said:
I sure SWAT is doable, not sure if it's in the Beta. A Slayer Pro has been described with no radar and the DMR, pistol and Sprint as the only loadout.

We played some SWAT. DMR + Sprint + SWAT = awesome. Oh the beautiful headshots.

Spasm said:
Ah needs muh melee where I can aim and slap at the same time. I'd rather give up crouch for AAs, myself.

I guess a CQC control scheme would be a good idea aswell. Bumper Jumper is perfect for the DMR users who wanna jump like monkeys while landing headshots :D

My biggest hope for Reach is that Firefight is in and supports Matchmaking. The only time I got to play Firefight with 4 people was at PAX, because all of my real life friends suck and didn't buy ODST.

Over the last week or two my B button has become all mashed up (no it's not sticky with gunk) so leaving that as grenade swap is probably for the best to me.

Oh shit I just fixed it with a piece of paper, something clicked and now it's not all soft to press :lol hope it lasts.

Gui_PT

Stupid question but I must ask.

Why can't we have custom button layouts? Like, let us pick what we want each button to do

Flipyap

joystiq said:
The $150 option allegedly contains all of the contents of the limited edition, in addition to even more "unique packaging" and in-game armor, plus a "Legendary Noble 6 Sculpture."
I don't mind ridiculously overpriced special editions (if they're cool enough), but I really hope the premium collectible isn't a Noble 6 dol--...action fi--... SCULPTURE.
With all the customization going on, it would be kind of like getting the default Shepard statue. That dude wasn't in my game!

NOKYARD said:
Pro tip: Don't bother with exploration for the first game on each new map. Just play normally to get a feel for the map. Right after the match ends go into Theatre, let it play for a few seconds (to allow for drop-spawn weapons), pause the film and explore using the fly-cam. This allows you to see the map's default layout, with every placed weapon on it's native spawn, and no randomly dropped weapons to confuse you. You can also fly around the map's natural boundaries so you don't waste time trying to jetpack to an unreachable ledge during a match.
Huh. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip!

Nutter

Captain Blood said:
I agree. Having to take your thumb off of the aiming joystick to jump is sad times.
Default 4 LIFE bro!

I hope someone from Bungie can answer, Will I be able to choose the control scheme I want for the beta? [H2, H3] I want my melee on my b Button. :p

feel

Gui_PT said:
Stupid question but I must ask.

Why can't we have custom button layouts? Like, let us pick what we want each button to do
It has to do with Bungie not wanting casual low end players to screw the game up for themselves by making unplayable layouts. Still, they could just make a big red warning appear before people start messing around, and call it a day.

Spasm

We have 6 buttons (LB, LT, RB, RT, LS, RS) with which to do 7 things (jump, grenade, melee, shoot, crouch, zoom, jetpack). Something's got to give. If we're allowed to map our own buttons, I'd get rid of crouch.

But really, I don't see why jetpack just couldn't be tied to your jump button, no matter what the config. Lets get some Metroid double jump action up in this bitch.

ManCannon

LTTP but just wanted to say awesome OP Ghaleon! I'll miss the old thread but I'm looking forward to crushing dreams on fresh ground.

DualX

Spasm said:
But really, I don't see why jetpack just couldn't be tied to your jump button, no matter what the config. Lets get some Metroid double jump action up in this bitch.
Because that button is not just for jetpacking. :lol

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:
LTTP but just wanted to say awesome OP Ghaleon! I'll miss the old thread but I'm looking forward to crushing dreams on fresh ground.
You can crush my dreams any day. Um, wait, what?

Also, got some clean versions of the Boneyard overview shots:

Thanks Wu, OP updated.

darkressurection said:
My biggest hope for Reach is that Firefight is in and supports Matchmaking. The only time I got to play Firefight with 4 people was at PAX, because all of my real life friends suck and didn't buy ODST.
I'll bet that Firefight is in that it's supporting Matchmaking. If not, I'd be very surprised.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
It has to do with Bungie not wanting casual low end players to screw the game up for themselves by making unplayable layouts. Still, they could just make a big red warning appear before people start messing around, and call it a day.

That makes sense but by doing that, players like us can't have a button layout of our liking =\

I'll just go with SouthPaw. Got interested in it since that experience Bagel and Dax carried out :lol

Nutter

SpudBud said:
Ha, I laugh at your default control scheme.
:lol

Hey as long as those +10 show up in post game, I laugh at thee!

X - Reload
B - Melee
A- Jump
Y - Swith Weapons

LB - Swith Grenade Type
RB - AA
LT - Grenade
RT - Fire

RTC - Zoom
LTC - Crouch.

^^^ Perfection. IMO :p

feel

ManCannon said:
The avatar sucks, it really doesn't reflect the usual content of your posts.

GhaleonEB said:
Also, got some clean versions of the Boneyard overview shots:

Thanks Wu, OP updated.
What a sweet map.

Raide

kdash7 said:
Question about 4 Payer Splitscreen. Is it going to be available even after the online Beta ends?

As far as I am aware the Beta has no custom game options, only online Matchmaking. So once the Beta ends, you won't be able to play games.

I could be wrong though. :lol

Merguson

Banned
ManCannon said:

I mentioned this in the other thread but will we ever see the feature from the Halo 3 Beta where you could save the film after the game. Will it ever return?

NJ Shlice

Exactly how fast can you fire the DMR?

I know there was the "rhythm" that was talked about and the new blooming feature. But if I turn a corner and someone is right there can I pull the DMR trigger like a maniac and fire quick, inaccurate shots?

RdN

Hello, new thread!
Great work Ghal.

New info is cool.. most of the pictures looks really good. HYPE!

Spasm

ManCannon said:
You can start by crushing my dreams of an F&F invite on my birthday! 37 today... As if that wasn't soul-crushing enough.

Top Bottom