• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Mik2121

Alright, I think I'm pretty much done with this:

Name - THE EXTENDED YARD
Game type - // Assault, Slayer, Stockpile, Juggernaut, Capture The Flag, Headhunter, Oddball.
Download link - Bungie Link Here

Images -

Hf0ym.jpg

bbDqE.jpg

zK2Bk.jpg

MpE89.jpg

GFF83.jpg

Raide

squidhands said:
Water for lava? Will that work?

And just an FYI to you forgers (if it hasn't been discussed already), using walls for flooring still presents the same glitch that it did in H3 with Sandbox, resulting in a skewed pitch. Fucking sucks, since now you can't really use the Colosseum Walls to create a massive flooring space without bumps. :-(

If the water is deep enough, yeah, it works. A little annoying how I have built it over land instead of water. :D Need Select All option.

The little bumps are annoying yes. I wish they would just add plain objects in the Building Blocks. They really should have added the building blocks that are bump map and detail free and then have another options for detailed building blocks.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Water for lava? Will that work?

And just an FYI to you forgers (if it hasn't been discussed already), using walls for flooring still presents the same glitch that it did in H3 with Sandbox, resulting in a skewed pitch. Fucking sucks, since now you can't really use the Colosseum Walls to create a massive flooring space without bumps. :-(
Gah, that's what my map-in-planning will use for floors. Nuts, that drove me crazy in Halo 3.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Raide said:
If the water is deep enough, yeah, it works. A little annoying how I have built it over land instead of water. :D Need Select All option.

The little bumps are annoying yes. I wish they would just add plain objects in the Building Blocks. They really should have added the building blocks that are bump map and detail free and then have another options for detailed building blocks.

Are both sides of the walls geometrically identical?

Raide

Mik2121 said:
Alright, I think I'm pretty much done with this:

Name - THE EXTENDED YARD
Game type - Slayer (red vs blue too, but other teams are not in right now so dunno how that would work)
Download link - // I will add it after testing the map with gaffers to check works fine. //

Images -

Looking really good. Nice attention to detail. :D I am rubbish at doing the little fancy bits that make maps.

Mik2121

OuterWorldVoice said:
Yup.

Raide said:
Looking really good. Nice attention to detail. :D I am rubbish at doing the little fancy bits that make maps.
Hey! Thanks :D Yeah, I personally enjoy adding the small details around, but there's a HUGE lack of small props that's killing me. No stuff like wires (well, I don't think the Forerunner buildings had wires around, but still...) to have hanging around, or other kinds of boxes that are not the big UNSC ones, etc...

But oh well...

Raide

OuterWorldVoice said:

I mainly use the building blocks and they all seem to be identical on both sides. When you edge them together, it gives your character a little bump as you cross the joints.

Mik2121 said:
Hey! Thanks :D Yeah, I personally enjoy adding the small details around, but there's a HUGE lack of small props that's killing me. No stuff like wires (well, I don't think the Forerunner buildings had wires around, but still...) to have hanging around, or other kinds of boxes that are not the big UNSC ones, etc...

But oh well...

Yes! They need more dodads to place around. Need slain Covenant corpses. :lol

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
I mainly use the building blocks and they all seem to be identical on both sides. When you edge them together, it gives your character a little bump as you cross the joints.

What about the invisible phsics border around them? Is it identical to the visible modeling? In Halo 3, several objects had different phsical dimensions than their visible dimensions. I did some experiments demonstrating them back in the day. The same block, with opposing surfaces:

DoubleBlock1.jpg

DoubleBlock2.jpg

This resulted in uneven surfaces if they were not stacked all with the same side up; it affected many types of objects. That meant the difference between a small bump and popping the player in the air for a moment. Phased phsics is a way around it in Reach, if the same issues are present.

Raide said:
Quick update + pic for my Q3DM17 remake attempt. Once I have finished it, I will throw it up for people to test, just so I can get the sizing and jumps right. I have not played Quake 3 in ages, so I might need to fire up Quake Live and check where all the jumps and teleports go.

I did manage to get the big Railgun jump, since I remember it could throw you off the end. :D

reach_271355_Full.jpg
omg

omg

OMG

awesome remake :lol

Mik2121

GhaleonEB said:
What about the invisible phsics border around them? Is it identical to the visible modeling? In Halo 3, several objects had different phsical dimensions than their visible dimensions. I did some experiments demonstrating them back in the day. The same block, with opposing surfaces:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/DoubleBlock1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/DoubleBlock2.jpg[IMG]

This resulted in uneven surfaces if they were not stacked all with the same side up; it affected many types of objects. That meant the difference between a small bump and popping the player in the air for a moment. Phased phsics is a way around it in Reach, if the same issues are present.[/QUOTE]
Most objects' bounding boxes are quite close to the model mesh. You won't get those gaps anywhere, at least not that I've noticed. Plus, remember you also have the physics mode that lets you have geometry get 'inside' other geometry as well.

What I've noticed were a couple areas where the bounding boxes were a bit simplified (so it runs smoother, and also so the players don't get stuck in weird spots) but those were mostly in areas that nobody will ever notice :lol

dominuece

Subscribed! You guys have me motivated to make something. Hopefully, my OCD will work for me and not against me :lol. Quick question: is there a way to alter gravity in forge?

Mik2121

dominuece said:
Subscribed! You guys have me motivated to make something. Hopefully, my OCD will work for me and not against me :lol. Quick question: is there a way to alter gravity in forge?
You can alter it on the Game Type settings. I read somewhere that those settings could be saved with the map, but I have yet to find how to.

Otherwise, you would have to save a Game Type (dunno how to do this either) and load it whenever you load that map.

Raide

dominuece said:

You set the player traits before you make it. Speed, gravity, damage and loads of other tweaks.

GhaleonEB

dominuece said:
You can alter gravity under Player Traits in the custom Game Options. (If you want to edit Forge under altered gravity, you can change them in the Game Options. But when you play a MP game on that map, make sure the game type has the same gravity settng you built the map for.)

Edit: beaten. So I'll just add that you can also change jump height, which I found achieved my goal without slowing player movement.

All these maps look awesome, I really envy the patience it must take to make these. I tried to make a simple map but had to give up because it was just too much. :lol I'll be up for any testing if you guys need it too :D

GhaleonEB said:
Gah, that's what my map-in-planning will use for floors. Nuts, that drove me crazy in Halo 3.
And since there doesn't seem to be any of the H3 'teardrops', it'll be even more difficult to try and align two walls from opposing sides, like the fix in H3. Bleh...

Sai-kun said:
No one can help me with this? D:
Did you check to make sure it's available for the ToP gametype? That's all I can think of at the moment.

I made a gametype with low gravity, high jumping, endless clip, fast movement and unlimited jetpacks.

It's basically Dragon Ball Z style crazy air combat. And totally awesome.

Anyone tried to replicate the best map ever used in a first person shooter?

DC_Lostvillage

If your a part of the master gaming race, you know what map this is.

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
I made a gametype with low gravity, high jumping, endless clip, fast movement and unlimited jetpacks.

It's basically Dragon Ball Z style crazy air combat. And totally awesome.
Reminds me of the crazy fast sprint game I made the other night. So much fun.

I'll be doing my initial explorations of Forge World this weekend, sizing up objects, doing some initial planning, seeing how large a space I can construct within the $10k budget.

I've settled on a location and a concept, as well as a few specific design components. But I've deliberately not over-planned the map as I want to adapt to what I find in the Forge World palette as I go, and adapt my design accordingly.

Raide

Vigilant Walrus said:

DC_Lostvillage

Hrmm...it would take ages to build all the houses, so you might have to use the pre-set buildings in Reach. Depending on size, you could possibly remake it. Any overheads of the map?

Mik2121 said:
I've updated my map. It's available for download from bnet now:

Download link - Bungie Link Here (please note that this version is still "beta", waiting for the testers to give me feedback!)

Will download now!

Mik2121

Vigilant Walrus said:

DC_Lostvillage

Really? You know that a map like that doesn't really fit in the Halo theme, right? It's not the same to be a soldier that can jump just a bit, move "slowly" and shoot an M4, than a Spartan that jumps quite high, runs much faster and shoots plasma guns around :p

Also, that map is weak :p

If we were to 'remake' maps, I think the Tribes, UT and Quake maps are the best. Tribes are impossible because they are mostly terrain based, and that's impossible in Halo, but the UT and Quake maps can be done quite easily and they just fit nicely :)

Mik2121

Raide said:
Just added Q3DM17 to my Fileshare. I did some tweaking but I am rubbish with detail. Basic spawns are in but suggestions on weapons, spawns or other changes would be awesome.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=834279&player=RAIDE%20UK

Not sure how I add the correct pic to the fileshare. :lol
You sure the basic spawns are in?

I just loaded your map and I spawned on the island :p

Mully said:
Hey I just created a 6V6 CTF map. I don't know how to put up screenshots, but if anyone is interested in checking it out and giving some feedback that'd be great.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileShare.aspx?player=mullygk1
I just loaded your map and there seems to be only one flag (my flag) and one return position?. Is it because I'm playing alone or there's something going on here?

Anyway, the map right now is a bit too empty and I even got lost at first! You might want to make it easier to tell where the enemy base is. There are many ways, from making the 'main' path easy to tell, to actually closing other paths.

Also there seems to be some bugged object or something near some dark stones (why are they dark anyway? it seems like the light is fucking up with that object). There are a couple invisible walls around there that you might want to check out.

Raide

Mik2121 said:
You sure the basic spawns are in?

I just loaded your map and I spawned on the island :p
:lol

I really need to learn how the spawns work. I put down initial spawns, am I supposed to do something else?

Mik2121 said:

Download link - Bungie Link Here (please note that this version is still "beta", waiting for the testers to give me feedback!)

Ok, downloaded. Just had a jog around and the only thing I have issue with is that some of the heights of the floors and obstructions hamper the flow of movement a bit. I can see the issue, since the textures start to bork up but a few places bump the character around a little more than normal.

Examples.

1)Top section with the Nerfle. (Top of Gravlift) The move from left to right causes a weird bump. Slightly solved by perfectly edging blocks but that is easier said than done. :lol

2) Second level of Gravlift (Below 1) Again just before the 2 pillars., the shift from left to right is a little more harsh. It does seem to stick the player a little more

Also...

Rotate your Health Kits. :p

Loving the map, with a few tweaks I can see it getting a load of downloads.

Mik2121

Raide said:
Ok, downloaded. Just had a jog around and the only thing I have issue with is that some of the heights of the floors and obstructions hamper the flow of movement a bit. I can see the issue, since the textures start to bork up but a few places bump the character around a little more than normal.

Examples.

1)Top section with the Nerfle. (Top of Gravlift) The move from left to right causes a weird bump. Slightly solved by perfectly edging blocks but that is easier said than done. :lol

2) Second level of Gravlift (Below 1) Again just before the 2 pillars., the shift from left to right is a little more harsh. It does seem to stick the player a little more

Also...

Rotate your Health Kits. :p

Loving the map, with a few tweaks I can see it getting a load of downloads.
Yeah, the part with the two pillars is actually a bit empty too, because at first I wanted to add two walls where the "steps" are, but then it made that area feel too small, so I deleted it but forgot to get around smoothing out the edges. I will fix that now, thanks!.

As for the other small bumps... I have adjusted all the floors using the unit system to move pieces around and that's as close as I could get to have it smoothed out.

The Health Kits are on the wrong position? :lol I didn't really notice.
EDIT - Oh lol, I just checked them out. Yeah, the H on it's side looks.. funny.

Anyway, fixed :p

I'm fixing the nerfle floor now, and the one below it too.

I will check your map on Forge after that and see what's up with the respawns.

Raide

Mik2121 said:
Yeah, the part with the two pillars is actually a bit empty too, because at first I wanted to add two walls where the "steps" are, but then it made that area feel too small, so I deleted it but forgot to get around smoothing out the edges. I will fix that now, thanks!.

As for the other small bumps... I have adjusted all the floors using the unit system to move pieces around and that's as close as I could get to have it smoothed out.

The Health Kits are on the wrong position? :lol I didn't really notice.

Yeah, the H on the kit is the wrong way. :lol

I wish Bungie had given us more smooth surfaces. Every map I make has those odd bumps around. Other than that, loving the layout. Will play some more!

Mully

Mik2121 said:
Y
I just loaded your map and there seems to be only one flag (my flag) and one return position?. Is it because I'm playing alone or there's something going on here?

Anyway, the map right now is a bit too empty and I even got lost at first! You might want to make it easier to tell where the enemy base is. There are many ways, from making the 'main' path easy to tell, to actually closing other paths.

Also there seems to be some bugged object or something near some dark stones (why are they dark anyway? it seems like the light is fucking up with that object). There are a couple invisible walls around there that you might want to check out.

I think it's just because you're playing alone. I had thing happen when I booted it up in custom. I'll see what I can do about the main path, alot of those rocks are permanent. I don't know where the invisible walls are, but I'll take a look around again. I'm assuming they're by the Blue Base. I had a rough time trying to make it fit the landscape without it making look like a floating base.

Thanks for the advice though. It really is going to help out.

Mik2121

Mully said:
I think it's just because you're playing alone. I had thing happen when I booted it up in custom. I'll see what I can do about the main path, alot of those rocks are permanent. I don't know where the invisible walls are, but I'll take a look around again. I'm assuming they're by the Blue Base. I had a rough time trying to make it fit the landscape without it making look like a floating base.

This is where the invisible bounding box is:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=842038&player=M1k2121

Raide said:
Yeah, the H on the kit is the wrong way. :lol

I wish Bungie had given us more smooth surfaces. Every map I make has those odd bumps around. Other than that, loving the layout. Will play some more!
So true.. the bumps are so annoying :(

Raide said:
Hrmm...it would take ages to build all the houses, so you might have to use the pre-set buildings in Reach. Depending on size, you could possibly remake it. Any overheads of the map?

no unfortunately not.:(

It would have to be smaller scale so it would fit 16 players, and how would one translate conquest into a Halo mode?

I think the main idea is that one team starts on a off shore island, with three helicopters, and can only acess main land, where the other team is, covering behind buildings and such.

The idea is so great, because its a map that was so well balanced, even though it was so different depending on which team you were on. it was much more insane than your usual asymetrical maps. Its so memorable.

one team has two go with comrades just to get to the fighting zone, while the others, can do nothing but wait and prepare.

Mik2121

Raide said:
Just added Q3DM17 to my Fileshare. I did some tweaking but I am rubbish with detail. Basic spawns are in but suggestions on weapons, spawns or other changes would be awesome.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=834279&player=RAIDE%20UK

Not sure how I add the correct pic to the fileshare. :lol
Alright, I just checked the map in Forge and the spawns are not there, so either you forgot to save after adding them, or you uploaded an older version of the map :p

Anyway, I went to the top by myself and played around there. The scale seems pretty spot on, even though for Halo, and with a DMR, that would mean that you can get easy kills from anywhere :D
But yeah, it's definitely more accurate and related to the original than my version, that's for sure. Will you finish it? The limit for jump pads is a big issue though.. :/

Raide

Mully said:

Little tip!

Don't forget to select an object, press B and Edit Coordinates. The game will auto snap to units and it makes it easier to link stuff together.

Same feeling as Mik. Feels a unfocused, so it might be easier to give both teams and initial spawn where they can actually see the objective. Too many paths will leave people a bit confused. If you have a simple and recognizable layout, it makes it easier for people to coordinate.

Raide

Mik2121 said:
Alright, I just checked the map in Forge and the spawns are not there, so either you forgot to save after adding them, or you uploaded an older version of the map :p

Anyway, I went to the top by myself and played around there. The scale seems pretty spot on, even though for Halo, and with a DMR, that would mean that you can get easy kills from anywhere :D
But yeah, it's definitely more accurate and related to the original than my version, that's for sure. Will you finish it? The limit for jump pads is a big issue though.. :/

Yeah, that lack of pads really gets in the way or making a nearly perfect feel. I will keep tweaking it but without more pads, it won't be complete.

I was aiming to get the same feel, especially with the jumps etc. Getting the height correct was funny. :lol Firing myself off the edge over and over.

Here's my first, it started out as an experiment but then I figured it kinda looked like a CTF map so I just ran with that idea...

It has a sniper nest on the flag side and a mongoose on the capture side to balance it out somewhat. Tell me what you think, just a little something I did to amuse myself. Would appreciate any tips or advice.

Green dot is where the flag goes and the orange is the capture point.
flagfalls.jpg

flagfalls2.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3160/flagfalls3.jpg

Got a lot of editing and cleaning up to do but I'm happy with it as a rough foundation.

Azar

So I built a pretty fun race course, and was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with a question to make it even more awesome:

The race points must be completed in order, which is fine; that's how the race should work. However, I was hoping to mix in a "free for all" section where there are multiple points active at once, and you had to complete all of them (in any order) to advance to the next numbered race point. I set three separate zones to the same spawn number, and they did all appear simultaneously. However, driving through one of them advances to the next ordered gate, making the other two disappear. Is there any way to make it so that you have to drive through all of them?

Preview of about half the course:

reach_873117_Medium.jpg

I haven't gotten the chance to play with Forge yet, but are those grayish blue building materials about all there is in terms of construction materials? That seems like kind of a bummer.

Atomski

Neuromancer said:
I haven't gotten the chance to play with Forge yet, but are those grayish blue building materials about all there is in terms of construction materials? That seems like kind of a bummer.

Lots of rocks as well

I am pretty sure down the line we will see some forge dlc with more stuff. I'd like to see another forge world that is at night or in space.

ckohler

I tinkered around some for the first time. Some questions:

1) Is there a way to easily copy an object?

2) Is there a way to link objects into a single object collection (like a building)?

3) I tried increasing the radius (cylinder) of a vehicle cannon but the vehicles would not get boosted unless you actually touched the flame. Is this normal? If so, it makes the radius pointless.

Atomski said:
Lots of rocks as well

I am pretty sure down the line we will see some forge dlc with more stuff. I'd like to see another forge world that is at night or in space.
It'd be nice if you could tweak weather and time of day in the regular Forge World but you're right, it'd be supercool if instead of releasing more maps Bungie just DLC'ed us more Forge Worlds.

Mik2121 said:

Thanks, I'll get some games on it as soon as I can and give you some feedback.

Mastperf

Atomski said:
Lots of rocks as well

Rest assured that is the only reason MS allowed Bungie to do Forge World. People are able to recreate their favorite maps (for free) but MS needs to be able to milk the fans with DLC. They offer Forge bundles and makes the monies. Poor MS would go broke if they couldn't milk the Halo fans for every dime they can get. :(

Mik2121

squidhands said:
Thanks, I'll get some games on it as soon as I can and give you some feedback.
I changed the file, so the link might not be working now. But just check around my Share File page and it should be around there :)

Top Bottom