• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Mik2121

dslgunstar said:
So if we already DLed it, we should go DL the new version huh?
Yup. Sorry ;(

Anyway, I have not uploaded the newest version yet. I'm testing all the extra game modes (Assault, CTF, etc...) to be sure they all work properly.

Man, setting up Assault correctly is giving me a headache :lol :lol

As soon as I get to know how to make it work properly, I will make a small tutorial (it should be very simple, really...) so everybody knows how to do it.

Unless there's some tutorial out there already?

Raide said:
Sounds fun!

I am working on Q3DM17 and Q1DM4 currently and I did look the The Edge. I am not sure there are large enough curves to do the central room. Just wondering how easy it would be to keep things enclosed. Q1DM4 had the same issue.

Yeah, I figured The Edge might be tricky. And I figured a lot of people wouldnt be too motivated to make Valhalla since they think Hemorrhage is basically the same map (and are SOOOOOO wrong). Hence the reward for making them. But only the best, most accurate version gets it.... :D

I'm interested to see what people do for Valhalla, since some of the key features that set that map apart have to do with terrain elevation. So people will either have to find the perfect place on Forge World, or they'll have to use 'pieces' to 'fake' the uneven terrain.

Raide

dslgunstar said:
Yeah, I figured The Edge might be tricky. And I figured a lot of people wouldnt be too motivated to make Valhalla since they think Hemorrhage is basically the same map (and are SOOOOOO wrong). Hence the reward for making them. But only the best, most accurate version gets it.... :D

I'm interested to see what people do for Valhalla, since some of the key features that set that map apart have to do with terrain elevation. So people will either have to find the perfect place on Forge World, or they'll have to use 'pieces' to 'fake' the uneven terrain.

I am having a hunt around Forgeworld now to see if there is a good spot. The difficult part is also finding the water you need for both bases and the edge.

Mik2121

Alright, I just got Assault working fine. Here's a small tutorial I made. Unless we have better tutorials around, the OP might want to link to this post:

++|[ HOW TO MAKE AN ASSAULT MODE FORGE MAP ]|++

First of all, you will need, at the very least, two Hill Markers (where the bombs show up) and two Capture Plates (where you plant the bombs). If you want to play on Neutral Assault you will need to add a third Hill Marker for the neutral bomb to show up.

Here's a very simple layout:

PD50k.jpg

As you can see, there's one Hill Marker and one Capture Plate on each base. These will be the settings that you will need to set up. All the examples will be for the items located on the Red Team base (where the Red Team spawns):

Capture Plate Properties
TEAM < RED TEAM > (Remember to change this to BLUE TEAM for the blue base)
PHYSICS < PHASED >
SPAWN TIME < NEVER >
SHAPE < CYLINDER >
/ The shape doesn't matter, but around 1.0 for each should be ok. /
// ADVANCED //
SPAWN SEQUENCE < 0 >
PLACE AT START < TRUE >
GAME-SPECIFIC < TRUE >
SYMMETRY < BOTH >
GAME TYPE LABEL < AS_GOAL >
MIN COUNT < 0 >
MAX COUNT < 2 > / this might change if you have set up any other plates on the level /

Hill Marker Properties
TEAM < RED TEAM > (Remember to change this to BLUE TEAM for the blue base)
PHYSICS < PHASED >
SPAWN TIME < NEVER >
SHAPE < NONE >
OBJECT COLOR < PINK >
// ADVANCED //
SPAWN SEQUENCE < 2 >
PLACE AT START < TRUE >
GAME-SPECIFIC < TRUE >
SYMMETRY < BOTH >
GAME TYPE LABEL < AS_BOMB >
MIN COUNT < 0 >
MAX COUNT < 2 > / this might change if you have set up any other plates on the level /

Hill Marker Properties (Neutral one)
TEAM < NEUTRAL >
PHYSICS < PHASED >
SPAWN TIME < NEVER >
SHAPE < NONE >
OBJECT COLOR < PINK >
// ADVANCED //
SPAWN SEQUENCE < 0 >
PLACE AT START < TRUE >
GAME-SPECIFIC < TRUE >
SYMMETRY < BOTH >
GAME TYPE LABEL < AS_BOMB >
MIN COUNT < 0 >

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Heres my first take on forge world... Abrasion

Abrasion is set alongside an eroded coastline and hillside with bits of forerunner architecture left exposed. plenty of paths alongside the upper hillside and forerunner structures, with some vehicle combat spread out along the rock strewn beach below. Its primarily set up as a team slayer map but should work well as a slayer map too. no jet packs please.

would like some feedback on map and combat flow, as well as weapon placement and spawns.

map download link
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1510831&player=LoopOfHenle

some screens
5004266483_29fcfe571e_z.jpg

5004876246_fe5a4a6e15_z.jpg

5004265319_71107ed61b_z.jpg

Raide

As with nearly all FPS games, someone will attempt to remake Goldeneye maps. Today, I have embarked on such a quest and started with Temple. :lol

Mik2121

Raide said:
As with nearly all FPS games, someone will attempt to remake Goldeneye maps. Today, I have embarked on such a quest and started with Temple. :lol
Man, you gotta finish the Q3 and Q2 maps before! :lol

Sanic

I'm not really happy with any solution to my jetpack problem after a bit of playing around...but it is what it is, and next time I know to build a map that can better accommodate them.

Outside of weapon and spawn placements, the initial build is done. I'm gonna do a bit of playtesting tonight with a friend and then i'll post it here and hopefully I can get a few more to try it out.

Raide

Mik2121 said:
Man, you gotta finish the Q3 and Q2 maps before! :lol

:lol

I know, I know! Roadblock for Q3Dm17 is the jump pads. Without another 4, I cannot fully finish it. Damn, I would spend space bucks to have 4 more. :lol

Kapura

Banned
Shipped myself an hdd (may i mention FUCK SO EXPENSIVE) so I should be getting pics of my maps soon enough. Forge world is really, really huge. I started on a map that I intended for BTB, but three sections of it are large enough for BTB. Might need to invasion it up. the other map I'm working on is that cliff area in the canyon opposite alaska and montana. It's pretty sizable, even though it looks miniscule in comparison to thee canyon as a whole. That's super awesome. Getting some z-fighting :(

also what's up with being paid a pittance in Forge? it caps out at, like, 60 cR. I understand that bungie doesn't want people gaming the system for cheap credits, but you'd think that you'd be able to get at least some amount based on the work you did that wasn't arbitrarily low. If bungie didn't want us to get credits forging, I'd probably be less angry the current system of pretending that it's helping you rank up.

DD-11

NOKYARD said:
Wow! I just built a working escalator. :D

Details to follow, or wait for the map?

um, wait for the map.

I accomplished something like this with a series of grav lifts. It worked well enough, but there just wasn't a reason to keep it in my map--I found it restricted movement too much.

oatmeal

Banned
I downloaded a great GREAT Normandy map.

Can you edit the map so I can play Invasion on it? Because having different stages would be amazing on that map. It's really neat.

Raide

Quick update. Stage 1 of the "Make Goldeneye Temple in Reach" is all done! The basic layout and blocking is pretty much done. Some crafty use of walls and boxes to hide the obvious viewpoints. Now to work on spawns and weapon placements. :D

Will post pics shortly.

kai3345 said:
What does that blue grid thing do?
Just allows you to plot easily afaik, makes it much easier to line things up etc.
Is very handy once you get into Forg'ing.

oatmeal said:

Can you edit the map so I can play Invasion on it? Because having different stages would be amazing on that map. It's really neat.
Yup.

NOKYARD

DD-11 said:
I accomplished something like this with a series of grav lifts. It worked well enough, but there just wasn't a reason to keep it in my map--I found it restricted movement too much.
I decided not to use it on my map so here it is. Unlike Cannons of Man, these are silent.

Escalator
Make your escalator out of the bottom of two flipped over Small Bunkers set on a 30° incline (when you see the bottom you will understand). Add Guard Rails. Spawn four One Way Shield 2 and set them to -30° (or whatever it takes to make them 90° to the Bunker Small's). Set the One Way Shield orange side up so that only a pixel or two are sticking out of the floor of the escalator, and set them at even intervals with the first just above floor level. If you do it right players will slide up the escalator.

Elevator
Same principal. Spawn several Tunnel Long and stack them on their sides to form a chute. Spawn several One Way Shields at 90°. Place the first One Way Shield in the chute at head height. Set the next a metre or so above it to grab you before you lose momentum, repeat as necessary. At the top place the final One Way Shield at a 45° angle to eject the player and prevent bouncing. This setup would be ideal for the ladders in a Wizard/Warlock remake.

So I made my map yesterday. It's called Man Cannon Forever. A Re-imagining of a custom someone made on H#. I tweaked and added my own charm, and of course made from scratch.

Man Cannon Forever
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1704295&player=Henry GaIe

reach_1729483_Full.jpg

reach_1729442_Full.jpg

Added all new weapons, spawn points and put all of the Armor abilities throughout the level at strategic points based on location and weapon. It's totally Symmetrical red and blue bases as well for team play, but most fun on FFA.

Also I recc that you play classic Halo style with recovering health, as I did not include health packs.

Man Canon from Side to Side

reach_1703990_Full.jpg

reach_1704056_Full.jpg

reach_1704196_Full.jpg

From under, Above and Behind the top cannon and sniper pad.

reach_1729378_Full.jpg

reach_1704314_Full.jpg

reach_1704324_Full.jpg

A shot from the sides, where we have turrets, and melee weapons on the ramps.

reach_1729512_Full.jpg

Salami Inferno said:
I saw a top down pic of forge world as a whole, but I cant find it now. Can anyone post it in here?
Not sure if this is what you were after but this is shamelessly stolen from the heatmaps from the Bungie
heatmapashx.jpg

Ended up gutting my first attempt at a map as I'm learning how to use Forge better and started on a second version and will see how this progresses.

I find that the juicy filter coupled with the colour blind filter actually does a decent job of blending forge materials with the actual world map. Hopefully we see some nice use from the special effects and the lights, I think they're heavily underused.

I'm trying to make a race map, that just has one flag. Where in Forge do I find that flag, all I see is Objectives > Flag Stand. Thanks.

I've been trying to build a race track in forge World, and I got it in me to use the WHOLE map for it, but the Pillar for Ascension and the Quarry for Sanctuary are pretty small and not fit for the mongoose. So I wanted the player to go on foot at that point (there's a teleporter that teleports you only if you get off the vehicle).. Good going so far. Problem is that when I go into customs to play the map proper and set it to Race, if I get off the vehicle for longer than 5-10 seconds it automatically puts me back on one, no matter where I am! Is there any way to stop this? Otherwise my map is either going to have to go through a major rethink or I'll have to create something else.

Mik2121

Neuromancer said:
I'm trying to make a race map, that just has one flag. Where in Forge do I find that flag, all I see is Objectives > Flag Stand. Thanks.
The race_flag checkpoint is made by placing a Hill Marker :p

Raide

U2NUMB said:

Thank you!

I think I have an Addiction to Forge. Apart from finishing the Campaign on Heroic, all I have done is mess around in Forge. :lol

I still wish Bungie would sort out the restrictions on certain pieces. I am building a map and I have used all Building Blocks and Walls/Doors. Still have about 4k budget left. Actually, this is just me moaning to get more man-cannons added. :D

Mik2121

Alright, the definitive version of my map is uploaded.

Name - THE EXTENDED YARD
Download link - bungie.net
Game Modes supported - Assault, Slayer, Stockpile, Juggernaut, Capture The Flag, Headhunter, Oddball.
Players - Best 4vs4, (8vs8 can be done but it's a bit too hectic)

Screens -

MpE89.jpg

(More here)

Raide

Right, I will be posting 2 maps to my Fileshare later. Goldeneye Temple and Stack. Pretty rough in places but the layout is ok. Damn I wish I had more items to play with. Emptied out most of the building blocks and still have 1/2 my budget left. :lol

If anyone downloads Man Cannon let me know how it works. I've had some people ask me to make a bumper bowling version with low railings to keep it open, but less falling off. I may just do that.

Here is a preview of my first map I've attempted to make so far in Forge world but it doesn't look at all elegant but oh well.
reach_1814966_Medium.jpg

reach_1814981_Medium.jpg

reach_1814992_Medium.jpg

reach_1815047_Medium.jpg

Still have to add spawns, weapons, objectives and check all the geometry for gaps before some playtesting to see if it's any good.
Has liberal use of killzones both hard and soft to make people stay in the map.

Sanic

So the first build of my map, Industrious, is done. Certain sections still need fleshed out, and i'm certain what's there is going to need a fair amount of tweaking, but that's what playtesting is for ;). I would appreciate it if any GAFers could help out with that. Would anybody be up for some customs later this evening, EDT? Around 8 hours from now?

The map currently supports just Slayer, and weapon placement is not my strong suit, but beyond those two issues it's at least playable.

xr3r9.jpg

bOuz3.jpg

UHJMM.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mik2121 said:
Alright, the definitive version of my map is uploaded.

Name - THE EXTENDED YARD
Download link - bungie.net
Game Modes supported - Assault, Slayer, Stockpile, Juggernaut, Capture The Flag, Headhunter, Oddball.
Players - Best 4vs4, (8vs8 can be done but it's a bit too hectic)

Screens -

MpE89.jpg

(More here)

pretty good map, definitely will be a keeper based on a few matches yesterday with 2 friends in free for all. my only suggestion would be to add a bit more cover, as most of the map you are wide open for attack, making only the bases and glass covered region viable spots.

NOKYARD

Neuromancer said:
Edit: still getting message "This map variant is not compatible with this game variant." Really frustrating. All I wanted to do was make a map variant with low gravity and some other things, and in my forge created level all I have is a spawn point and a hill marker. Why isn't it working?

Edit: Also it's saying my description can't be displayed on Xbox Live. It has the word "monkey" in it. What the hell?
I couldn't use the word 'Hammer' in a Grifball variant.

You can forget about using the words 'Assault' and 'cocksucker' as well. :lol

The official guide to "This map variant is not compatible with this game variant." is here

Now! Why the fuck did the map i was working on for 10 hours vanish?

I saved every 20 minutes or so, then invited some of the Red vs Blue guys in to goof around in the 80% complete map. When they left i quickly quit to avoid having their 'changes' get caught by the horribly broken autosave feature. When i loaded the map from the HD it was a layout version from 24 hours prior. It was nowhere to be found in the recent maps section, even though we loaded it up in a Slayer custom game hours earlier.

[edit] Just checked with one of the other players who i invited in to look around. Not in his recent history either.

Raide

Ok, all uploaded to my Fileshare. Here

Q3DM17: 99% complete. Lack of man-cannons makes it impossible to finish accurately but the flow is pretty good. FFA spawns in, need more accurate weapon spawn list.

Q1DM4: 95% complete. 1 more room and some alterations + weapon spawns. Might redo this one again since it was my first Forge map attempt.

GoldenEye Temple: 90% complete. Needs spawns and weapons. Possibly later rework of the outside edges. Falling off is fun. ^_^

GoldenEye Stack: 95% complete. Went well unit the last rooms, then running out of bits and had aligned something wrong earlier. Basic spawn, need to add weapons and addition spawns.

Let me know what you think! Remember, these are not finished, since I am rubbish at figuring out where to put spawns and weapons. They are really rough around the edges but I am trying to get the flow and overall feel of the map and then try and work on eye-candy. :D

I might end up redoing all of these in time, mainly as my Forge skills get better. I tend to prefer to make the boxed in maps as opposed to the Forge platforms and paths. :lol I love trying to remake maps since it really shows off what Forge is capable of. Now if only they would take off the item restriction and keep it just to map budget, that would make it much easier. :D

NOKYARD said:
Now! Why the fuck did the map i was working on for 10 hours vanish?

I saved every 20 minutes or so, then invited some of the Red vs Blue guys in to goof around in the 80% complete map. When they left i quickly quit to avoid having their 'changes' get caught by the horribly broken autosave feature. When i loaded the map from the HD it was a layout version from 24 hours prior. It was nowhere to be found in the recent maps section, even though we loaded it up in a Slayer custom game hours earlier.

[edit] Just checked with one of the other players who i invited in to look around. Not in his recent history either.

That sucks dude... It's gotta be somewhere.

OK I'm onto a new issue. I'm making a race with mongooses but I can't figure out how to have mongooses spawn in at the beginning. They don't appear and then magically I get a mongoose when I'm in the race. Is there a way to change that?

thetechkid

So since I haven't got an anwser from the Halo OT, I'll ask here. For Forge maps, can I only use them in custom games or is there some matchmaking somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Raide

thetechkid said:
So since I haven't got an anwser from the Halo OT, I'll ask here. For Forge maps, can I only use them in custom games or is there some matchmaking somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Custom only currently. It would be cool to have some Matchmaking lists of the top 10 maps or something, else you would end up playing some pretty terrible maps. :lol

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Is there a forge how to somewhere? I am a noob at it. I basically want to "lock or Clip" items together.

OK now I've figured out how to make a mongoose appear at the beginning of the race, but I placed four and only one shows up (and all their settings are the same)! Also if I play this race splitscreen, the 2nd player spawns at some far away place in Forge World. What the hell?!

Azar

You need to set race-specific spawns, which is done with a label same as the rally points. You shouldn't need to place vehicles at all--simply use a race gametype, and it'll auto-start you in a mongoose (or warthog, ghost, or banshee, if you change the default vehicle option).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Been working on my map after a healthy playtest on saturday evening during HaloGAF Customs. I'll post about it shortly I think. Some visual changes currently being implemented.

Azar said:
You need to set race-specific spawns, which is done with a label same as the rally points. You shouldn't need to place vehicles at all--simply use a race gametype, and it'll auto-start you in a mongoose (or warthog, ghost, or banshee, if you change the default vehicle option).
Yeah I guess I just liked the idea of everyone having to scramble to get a vehicle but that doesn't seem to be working out real well. I'll do it your way I guess.

Definity

Map: Vestal

Video Overview:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1889721&player=Definity

Screen Shots:
2r53y2v.jpg

--

2qnt8va.jpg

Download Link
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1889835&player=Definity

Description:
Objective Style Map, Symmetrical with Two Bases.  Rocket Launcher (center), shotguns (each base up top), plenty of DMR's, Grenade Launcher (far left center)

Teleporter in each base can warp you to the side of the field. This speeds up CTF games and makes it a blast.

Could probably support 8vs8.

Game Modes:
MultiFlag
Neutral Flag
Assault
Neutral Assault
Slayer (Team and FFA)
Headhunter (Team and FFA)
Oddball (Team and FFA)
KOTH (Team and FFA)

If the gametype is not listed above I did not configure it for support.

Looking for feedback.

Salami Inferno

Neo Member
oatmeal said:

Do you have a link for that Normandy Map?

NOKYARD

Neuromancer said:
That sucks dude... It's gotta be somewhere.
Totally gone. Even checked the files on the HD.

Having a map vanish in Halo 3 would have been devastating, with Reach i now have the opportunity to make it even more awesome. Once i was done crying i decided to upgrade from a Slayer map, to an extremely ambitious Invasion map. I will also use an anonymous file share to save my progress.

Wish me luck. :D

Top Bottom