• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

GodlyPerfection said:
Majesty is his new 4v4 map. The one he posted earlier, but the filter is now removed and it has undergone tons of other changes as well.

Screenshot.ashx

It's daytime again, yay! :p

Sikamikanico said:
It's daytime again, yay! :p

Message approved. rofl...

So since this is the Forge thread I'd love your guys' opinion on my latest 4v4 map, Château. It was originally inspired by the parkour movement style gameplay of Brink with a particular section of one of Brink's maps called Refuel. My goal was to keep the very simplistic top down layout style that I have in Affinity and Think Twice while adding complexity between the different areas. Essentially the map boils down to two sides and two buildings in an inverse symmetrical setup with a bridge and courtyard in the center. However when you play the map you have many options to various areas and a bunch of different trick jumps that can move you around the map from area to area faster.

It plays best for CTF, Assault, and Team Slayer. Also the initial spawn is NOT in the buildings. The buildings are actually two each side of your initial spawn. They are both technically neutral, with the one closest to you being colored to your team. The first screenshot gives you a good idea of what you will see when you first spawn. Your colored building on your right and their building on your left. I look forward to hearing your guys' thoughts.

Oh and a side note, when I used to lurk here I remember that imageshack was off limits for image hosting. Is that still the case? Because I prefer it for bulk uploading, right now I'm just using Flickr to be safe.

Download Link: Château

Map Screenshots

Loadout Camera
5839551201_ce7b300c3a_z.jpg

Bottom Mid
5839551049_0868b4c30e_z.jpg

Initial Spawn
5840099496_0a80f9e1bd_z.jpg

Closed Ramp
5839550953_72c6b62b35_z.jpg

Open Ramp
5839551151_babaa393d4_z.jpg

Basement of Building
5839550897_33b47d206d_z.jpg

First Floor of Building
5839551107_9af6f76f28_z.jpg

Second Floor of Building
5840099458_95397cccc7_z.jpg

op_ivy said:
uh oh, GAF already has a "Château"

lol... Damn it... I just searched through this thread to see the map you are referring to. Grrr... I looked through every forge community I could think of, but this one slipped my mind. I even did a couple of tag searches and nothing. I really wish that maps were either auto tagged with the map name, or that there was a filename search.

And the other Château is quite fancy as well, great work timetokill. Well... ignoring the map name what do you guys think?

Homeboyd

GodlyPerfection said:
And Homeboyd is getting there, but he is still new blood lol. He has done a great job with Blueprint, but it is still kind of new and getting settled.
Not sure what to take from this. I suppose I am new to the Cartographers, but certainly not to Forge or what it takes to get maps into Matchmaking.

Supporting more of a common community following at B.net is a daunting task (as you could witness with Atlas) so there is certainly some extra steps that had to be put in place to make sure we didn't get overwhelmed with the folks that would drop their maps off and disappear. I wanted to give the folks who may not know the right people a chance at getting their maps noticed and considered for MM. The group has served it's purpose for the time being.. I just happen to join CC the month that no new community maps were being taken and then only had one month to get some maps in.

Certainly feedback on how I review maps and provide feedback is always welcome though if you feel I'm not performing up to others standards.

Homeboyd said:
Not sure what to take from this. I suppose I am new to the Cartographers, but certainly not to Forge or what it takes to get maps into Matchmaking.

Supporting more of a common community following at B.net is a daunting task (as you could witness with Atlas) so there is certainly some extra steps that had to be put in place to make sure we didn't get overwhelmed with the folks that would drop their maps off and disappear. I wanted to give the folks who may not know the right people a chance at getting their maps noticed and considered for MM. The group has served it's purpose for the time being.. I just happen to join CC the month that no new community maps were being taken and then only had one month to get some maps in.

Certainly feedback on how I review maps and provide feedback is always welcome though if you feel I'm not performing up to others standards.

Don't get me wrong Homeboyd, you just haven't had a chance to have as much of an impact as the other cartographers. You are doing just fine bro. Keep it up. I didn't mean to come off as if you weren't doing a good job. Just that you had a late start and sadly it was right before things were shut down around Bungie. Blueprint is still trying to get into the groove and find its footing. You've done a superb job for the time you've been... for lack of a better phrase "in office". lol... wish they had added you sooner, probably around the time they added Insane, because Blueprint would be the go to place for a lot of people. I wish the group the best of luck going forward.

I know your abilities as a forger and reviewer of maps Homeboyd. I do not question that at all. So I hope you don't take it as me doubting your abilities. I do not. You are only a step behind and that isn't your fault. Again you did an AMAZING job for the time you have been a cartographer. And I know that regardless of whether or not 343 continues the cartographer system, you will still do your best to help people out as much as possible as you have done with the coverage of the defiant map packs, the community map master list, and everything else that you have been a part of. You're a good friend of mine and I've got your back. ;)

op_ivy said:
uh oh, GAF already has a "Château"

Glad you remembered! :)

GodlyPerfection said:
And the other Château is quite fancy as well, great work timetokill. Well... ignoring the map name what do you guys think?

Thanks :) Your map looks pretty nice, lots of good open spaces to fight in.

FyreWulff

I figured I'd post mine up. It's been done for a while.

Platte
Download

nVlaL.jpg

Main features:

- It's style after a dam, and dams are awesome!
- Turbines!
- Openable teleporter!
- Support for most gametypes!
- Named after the famous Platte River in Nebraska, a river that has been called "a mile wide and an inch deep" (pronounced like "flat" or "splat")

The main gametypes I would play on this map would be Territories, 1 Flag, and Slayer. It has Race specific scenery as well for that particular gametype.

Weapons and gametype layouts:

Screenshots:

Full gametype support list:

1-Sided Territories (the main gametype for this map)
1 & 2 Flag
Slayer
All Assault Modes
Race
Rally
Infection
Invasion Slayer
Invasion Skirmish
Bro Slayer
Juggernaut
King of the Hill
Headhunter
Chess

Oh man, completely forgot about this thread. I've been so busy lately, I haven't had time to make any maps, let alone play Reach at all. Some great stuff has been posted though! Good job guys.

Btw, if you guys hadn't heard the following maps made it into the July matchmaking update (which will be released around July 12th):

Château by GodlyPerfection
Eden Minor (previously Eden Prime) by AgentPaperCraft
Renova by Vincent Torre and TEETMARE

Thanks for submitting Château Nokyard. :) You rock good sir! lol... and congratz to AgentPaperCraft Vincent, and Titmar.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
timetokill said:
Boo, it should've been my original Château :(

i havent played the new one, but yeah, i loved your old one. felt like a smaller version of colossus (without the sniper)

Sad to hear Majesty didn't make the cut, but oh well. Thanks for submitting it anyway Nokyard.

Congrats to all that got their maps in the update.

That's a lot of glass. You might want to start some split-screen dummy tests to make sure the framerate is decent.

Plywood said:
I was wondering how you guys go about deciding the most ideal locations for spawns and weapon placement.
Weapon placement should be very intuitive and easy to spot for new players. It can be kind of a bitch to place a black weapon in a sea of grey, but I like to either use the apex of a pattern of a forge piece as the arrow that points to the weapon. If you can afford it in the budget, adding raised pieces as a sort of shelf helps attract the eye of a player as well. I like to keep the rifles leaning as much as possible (protip: set physics to 'fixed' until you've got the weapon where you want it, leaning weapons can be kind of a pain. Just remember to set it back to 'normal' once your done).

Spawns are tricky, as I'm sure you know. My personal preference is to use the 3 second rule whereever possible: Allow 3 seconds of unimpeded forward movement for the player off spawn. There's nothing that frustrates me more than spawning and then having to immediately change direction lest I run into a wall or railing. As for spawn locations, I normally study a default map that most resembles the style of map that I'm building (asymmetric/symmetric, 2-base/4base, etc.) and try to emulate the basic spawn setup. I have an unproven theory that you don't need as many spawn points as Bungie puts on their maps; it gives too many opportunities to spawn in front of/right behind an enemy who is not engaged in combat (which is the only thing I believe the spawn points are looking for). I am by no means an expert on the subject of spawning, but it's what has worked for me so far. Hope it helps and feel free to hit me up sometime if you want to runs some test games or whatever. Me being such a terrible player is a great way to test the quality of any spawn system, lol.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
squidhands said:
That's a lot of glass. You might want to start some split-screen dummy tests to make sure the framerate is decent.

Weapon placement should be very intuitive and easy to spot for new players. It can be kind of a bitch to place a black weapon in a sea of grey, but I like to either use the apex of a pattern of a forge piece as the arrow that points to the weapon. If you can afford it in the budget, adding raised pieces as a sort of shelf helps attract the eye of a player as well. I like to keep the rifles leaning as much as possible (protip: set physics to 'fixed' until you've got the weapon where you want it, leaning weapons can be kind of a pain. Just remember to set it back to 'normal' once your done).

Spawns are tricky, as I'm sure you know. My personal preference is to use the 3 second rule whereever possible: Allow 3 seconds of unimpeded forward movement for the player off spawn. There's nothing that frustrates me more than spawning and then having to immediately change direction lest I run into a wall or railing. As for spawn locations, I normally study a default map that most resembles the style of map that I'm building (asymmetric/symmetric, 2-base/4base, etc.) and try to emulate the basic spawn setup. I have an unproven theory that you don't need as many spawn points as Bungie puts on their maps; it gives too many opportunities to spawn in front of/right behind an enemy who is not engaged in combat (which is the only thing I believe the spawn points are looking for). I am by no means an expert on the subject of spawning, but it's what has worked for me so far. Hope it helps and feel free to hit me up sometime if you want to runs some test games or whatever. Me being such a terrible player is a great way to test the quality of any spawn system, lol.
But I love glass. ;_;

As for everything else, thank you. :D

I'll add you btw.

edit: Your FL is full.

op_ivy said:
i havent played the new one, but yeah, i loved your old one. felt like a smaller version of colossus (without the sniper)

Thank you :) I really appreciate it! Colossus was definitely an inspiration for it.

MrBig

Ya, I can't look over it or read squids post atm, but all that glass worries me. It causes a lot of problems, especialy when you can see glass through glass or have it overlapping

also I won't be able to get on live for two weeks

squidhands said:

Contrary to popular belief, glass is not the biggest issue in splitscreen that causes framerate drop. Splitscreen is mostly about the number of objects in your field of view... rendered or not. As long as your framerate is fine in fullscreen with all that glass then you won't have any problems with glass in splitscreen. Oh and don't mistake that for glass not being a problem, because it can be a huge problem as Mr Big said if you have several layers of glass, lights, as well as many objects with dynamic lights like railings, walkway covers, etc...

Other than that line, everything else squidhands states is damn good advice. The man knows what he's talking about and I highly suggest you listen to every single word. ;) He didn't get Crown of Flies into the Community Slayer list by accident.

NOKYARD

GodlyPerfection said:
He didn't get Crown of Flies into the Community Slayer list by accident.
Actually, we were attempting to submit the McDonald's sponsored map Clown of Fries but grabbed the wrong file.

hey, i haven't posted any maps here before. but here is my first one.

it is called Red Tide. it is a giant symmetrical map made for BTB.

here's some pics.

overview
oqlzjs.jpg

blue base
2ms5aaa.jpg

right of blue base
svrja0.jpg

central cliff face structure
2m41ypu.jpg

Central structure
jqi9ut.jpg

it is unfortunately not finished. it still needs more testing.

Yama

Serenity.jpg

"Serenity meets slaughter. Once known for it's tropic pools and lush waterfalls."

Serenity is a departure from my previous maps in just about every way. It retains the focus on competitive gameplay, but goes about it in a completely different manner.

To start, I'd just like to say that I've retained my standards as far as play testing. Though this is my first and final release here on Forge Hub, the map has been play tested for roughly one month now by dozens of players and has underwent four to five minor to major revisions. Now, on to the map.

Like I stated in the intro, Serenity goes about competitiveness in a different manner than my previous series of competitive maps. The size is roughly medium, though any player can travel through it's entirety quickly if they are comfortable with it's fluidity. Different from my other maps, Serenity is multi tiered housing roughly four layers. Again, traveling from the fourth floor to the bottom is effortless with any knowledge on the map, thus making for some great set ups and even well timed assassinations.

The point of Serenity is to keep everyone on the run, without being a cluster. What this means is you aren't left for dead out in the open, but instead have options to get away or peruse. This to me is what makes maps like Derelict and Lockout great, options. All of my maps, mainly Serenity, are centered around options. These are the factors that assist set ups and trickery, but do away with over control. Players are able to hold down an area during battle, but have to keep on their feet after killing as they'll easily be overtaken if a statue. Without cluttering the map (within its intended play size), players are able to trick, set up and even escape easily and stylishly if familiar with all the map has to offer.

I'm going to use an example, though not in the literal form. Serenity is somewhat comparable to Lockout, not in any way how it's set up (completely different) but in the way that it takes some time to get used to. Once the player does understand the maps jumps, tricks, angles and overall set up, it becomes fluid and enables a ton of fancy high level play. It is created with high level play in mind, but goes about it in a different manner than the typical arena standard stuff.

Also, from when I first posted here, a member from Forge Hub (Eightball) complimented my maps (thank you) but pointed out he'd love to see aesthetically pleasing atmospheres to go along with the complexities. That stuck in my head and is admittedly one of the focal points of Serenity, to be as pleasing on the eyes as it plays. Thanks for all the support, as it continues to assist me in topping my previous endeavors. I hope you all enjoy it as much as our group of testers has.

* Also, please note that the default download is for MLG properties which supports the MLG physics. The lift properties will only work correctly for MLG settings. For default physics and properties, I have included an alternate download: Bungie.net : Halo Reach : File Details

(Please recommend and rate the main one however, or both. Thanks!)

Images and video explanation:

reach_21724708_Full.jpg

reach_21723957_Full.jpg

reach_21724016_Full.jpg

reach_21724011_Full.jpg

reach_21724010_Full.jpg

reach_21723995_Full.jpg

reach_21723981_Full.jpg

Video: Halo Reach Competitive Maps : Serenity

Woorloog

Banned
Woorloog said:
I'll be Forging an Invasion map, well, at least starting to, i have a good idea (though whether it'll work needs to be seen) but first i need to know a thing or two:
I've heard, err, read people complaining about Reach (custom MM) maps having bad sight lines. What is good then?
My invasion map will have custom tailored loadouts, ideally it would have non-standard Spartan/Elite traits but since those are impossible, i'll work with what i've got.
Also, is there any general Invasion map desing do's and don't do's?
I'll repost this here from HaloGAF thread...
Also, do you think Tempest could be used well as a base for an Invasion map?
EDIT Serenity looks, based on pics, very nice. Tempest lighting and environment+Forerunner gray is nice combination. IMO. As boring as Forerunner gray gets in MM.

Retro

Well, since we have a new Halo thread, might as well kick the Forge thread up so people can see it too.

Anyone else want to try and get ForgeGAF Testing back up again in anticipation of the TU in September? Even if it's just a couple people at first for an hour or two, it would still help map creators get valuable feedback. So, anyone want to try and meet up this weekend to test some maps?

I recently renewed my Live subscription and I have an urban-themed map I developed in the interim that I'd like to test. You can download the latest version here if you are interested; Beach 1.4

Edit: Made some changes tonight, updated to 1.4

It's only set up for Slayer ATM; Played two games on it the other night and both players seemed to like it though.

There's lots of ground to cover in a very small space; there are 5 multi-floor structures providing lots of sniping across multiple rooftops. A few power weapons are located up there as well (rockets, right between the two sniper rifles). Some pretty decent cover but it's really quite open and dangerous.

Below that are a few elevated bridges over a fairly cluttered (in a good way) street level that is perfect for small arms fire and stealth. The height difference is enough and the streets are so narrow that getting constantly picked off by the snipers would be pretty rare. Lots of building interiors to duck into as well. Not too many power weapons but there are some grenade launchers and a hammer (in a pretty confined and highly visible room, of course)

And beneath THAT is a sewer system running under the entire map; multiple points of entry near each base and from various buildings on the street. There's also a shotgun down there for close encounters.

I'll try to get some pictures and a map up later.

Once again, you can download the latest version here if you are interested; Beach 1.4.

Retro

Gui_PT said:
What happened to forge customs? Do they still exist? I'd like to help

I think a combination of the first DLC pack (some people bought it, others didn't), a few disagreements between people, and the general gaming malaise that sets in every summer as more and more people venture... outside... (gasp).

They don't exist at all now, at least not to my knowledge. I'd like to get them started again though, even though I admit to being a terrible organizer of these sorts of things. We used to get on Saturdays around 8PM eastern, but that was a problem for people in the west coast, Europe, Australia, etc.

I guess the best thing for now is to just add people who are still regularly playing Reach and are willing to test to your friends list and, if you see them on and playing, nicely ask to do an impromptu testing session of each others' maps.

So, my GT is Retrogames, add me and if you see me on, chances are I'll be in Reach and either tweaking a map or suffering through Matchmaking, probably screaming about team-killers (Had two the other day, one in a two-on-two match where the other team, despite realizing my teammate was spawning and then shooting me, continued to team bag... morons) or general Reach-related BS.

Can't wait for the TU and CE:A, I actually enjoyed the original Halo's multiplayer, even with the pistol o' death. Of course, maybe that's because it was always played with friends at system link parties....

Zoolader said:
add my gamertag (zoolader) same as my gaf name. I downloaded your map so I'll try to get feedback to you soon.

Gracias, will add you as soon as I get on.

cory021

Neo Member
If anyone ever needs help testing/getting feedback on maps, I'm willing to help you guys out. Just send me a Friend Request, and I'll join almost anytime you send an invite. I'm also quite good on giving tips to improve your map, so feel free to invite me.

Wow I really miss Reach :/ I haven't had Live in over 6 months. I think I'm gonna buy a year with my next paycheck. I would love to help test maps and stuff afterwards

GT:Small Mailman

Retro

cory021 said:
If anyone ever needs help testing/getting feedback on maps, I'm willing to help you guys out. Just send me a Friend Request, and I'll join almost anytime you send an invite. I'm also quite good on giving tips to improve your map, so feel free to invite me.

What's your gamertag, that'd help =)

Retro

Zoolader said:
*Looks at cory021's public profile, xbl gamertag: cory021*

Found it for you ;)

.... fuck, I completely forgot GAF profiles have a space for those...

Should be on later tonight if anyone has any maps they want tested, not sure on the time but 9-1am EST should be about right.

So I created a simple slayer map. Set my initial spawn and respawn points. When I start a slayer game type with this map I can still see the spawn points. What did I do wrong?

MrBig

jhferry said:
So I created a simple slayer map. Set my initial spawn and respawn points. When I start a slayer game type with this map I can still see the spawn points. What did I do wrong?
You have to switch back to the Custom Games lobby and load your map from there.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Gabotron ES said:
When will we get more info on this sir?
Glad you are back guys.

yup.

any changes to how this will be handled this time around?

Hey You

op_ivy said:
yup.

any changes to how this will be handled this time around?
Good to hear. Hopefully they will somehow be able to speed up the process a bit, but make sure the maps are up to quality.

And sounds like the
Infection
playlist will get some much needed love? :)

I've got one that was just featured in Forge Hub's 2v2 tournament. Called Replicant, it's a large, inverse-symmetrical map featuring Hologram AA pickups and a Pro-Pipe as the major power weapon to fight over. More here, if anyone's interested. I've only tested with 2v2, but it's probably large enough to fit 4v4. CTF is the only other gametype that's supported.

gzPf4.jpg

Top Bottom