• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Question: has anyone ever tried to "fix" Boneyard in Forge? A search at ForgeHub didn't turn up anything.

I know the palette is abysmal, but I was playing around last night and came up with a ton of improvements using grav lifts and the ramps. I'd love to make a more serious attempt but wanted to check here first.

- Should I start with a blank canvas map or just use the on-disc default? Or download the latest version used in the BTB playlist?

- I'm really only looking at improving the map for BTB Slayer and similar uses, not trying to tackle CTF yet (or Invasion at all). So starting with a canvas map without all the Invasion stuff would be fine, though I may need help figuring out how to properly place spawns.

- Speaking of, any opinions on the current Boneyard spawns and weapon placement in non-Invasion gameplay? I really do think this map has potential beyond its current implementation.

I also have some ideas for "fixes" to Spire, Boardwalk, CTF on Powerhouse, and even a tiny Sword Base change.

O D I N

ncsuDuncan said:
Question: has anyone ever tried to "fix" Boneyard in Forge? A search at ForgeHub didn't turn up anything.

I know the palette is abysmal, but I was playing around last night and came up with a ton of improvements using grav lifts and the ramps. I'd love to make a more serious attempt but wanted to check here first.

- Should I start with a blank canvas map or just use the on-disc default? Or download the latest version used in the BTB playlist?

- I'm really only looking at improving the map for BTB Slayer and similar uses, not trying to tackle CTF yet (or Invasion at all). So starting with a canvas map without all the Invasion stuff would be fine, though I may need help figuring out how to properly place spawns.

- Speaking of, any opinions on the current Boneyard spawns and weapon placement in non-Invasion gameplay? I really do think this map has potential beyond its current implementation.

I also have some ideas for "fixes" to Spire, Boardwalk, CTF on Powerhouse, and even a tiny Sword Base change.

I'd be happy to give you a hand with that, or at least offer second opinions. Add me and we can meet up sometime;

GT: Big Boss 0DIN

Insaniac

question:

in the gametype territories, is there a way to enable spawning near a territory you've captured, but only when you've captured it

MrBig

Insaniac said:
question:

in the gametype territories, is there a way to enable spawning near a territory you've captured, but only when you've captured it
Nope. It's been a requested feature for a while though so NoF might implement it some time.

Would there be enough interest for testing today?

vhfive

MrBig said:
Nope. It's been a requested feature for a while though so NoF might implement it some time.

Would there be enough interest for testing today?
I would but forgegaf seems to be dead these days

MrBig

Maybe combine forgegaf and halogaf customs for the day since there are so many people submitting to the gears 3 fad.

Insaniac

seems like forgegaf is slowly dying, but I have a map that I made that uses about 2/3rds of Forgeworld, its a large battlefield style game with 5 territories, games last for 20 minutes and the team with the most points from captured territories wins.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileShare.aspx?player=TheLintendo

It uses the custom territories gametype "battlef". This map is still in its very early stages since I've had a hard time rounding up enough people to test this properly. However if anyone would be interested in joining me and my friends sometime to test this just let me know what ur GT is and I'll try to arrange a time when we'll be playing.

The map is really fun so far it has a heavy focus on teamwork and vehicles. The falcon is very fun to use offensively and as a primary troop transport, so if you like vehicle maps this is for you.

here's a pic of reds defending a territory from a blue falcon

reach_16738450_Full.jpg

Hey You

Hey guys. I know this is for forge but I didn't want to post this in the main thread.

Anyways, I am working on recreating some of the gametypes from Halo 3's Action sack playlist thread and just got told by Jeremiah that CC's can submit gametypes for consideration for matchmaking.

So I'm hoping to get some feedback and testing to the gametypes and then hopefully find a Cartographer willing to submit the gametypes for consideration for Reach's AS playlist

So if you are looking to play something in a custom game or just willing to try them out and let me know what you think.

-Pit of Joy
The hill is unmoving. Players start with Energy Swords and 4x overshields. 200 points to win. 12 minute match time limit.

-2 Flag Shottys
Two Flags,no shields and shotgun starts. First team to 3 captures wins. 15 minute match time.

-Tug of War
Gain points by killing players, but lose points by dying. Default loadouts. 25 points to win. 12 minute time limit.

-Team Fiestahttp://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=16839167&player=Heyy Youu
Team Slayer, everyone starts with random weapons.

-Team Splasers
Spartan Laser Primary, Focus Rifle Secondary. 25 points to win. 12 minute match time limit.

-Team Rockets
Team Slayer using only rockets.

-Team Punchout
Beatdown or Assassinate your opponents to gain points.

-Stab-out
Swords only Team Slayer. Players have 3 lives. Four rounds to win. Two minute rounds.

Again, any feedback or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

O D I N

Hey You said:
Hey guys. I know this is for forge but I didn't want to post this in the main thread.

Anyways, I am working on recreating some of the gametypes from Halo 3's Action sack playlist thread and just got told by Jeremiah that CC's can submit gametypes for consideration for matchmaking.

So I'm hoping to get some feedback and testing to the gametypes and then hopefully find a Cartographer willing to submit the gametypes for consideration for Reach's AS playlist

So if you are looking to play something in a custom game or just willing to try them out and let me know what you think.

-Pit of Joy

-2 Flag Shottys

-Tug of War

-Team Fiestahttp://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=16839167&player=Heyy Youu

-Team Splasers

-Team Rockets

-Team Punchout

-Stab-out

Again, any feedback or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Out of H3's Action Sack, I was personally a big fan of the "Zeus" gametype and "Sumo Wrestling". The latter shouldn't be hard to recreate, but Zeus is a little hard since there's no VIPs (like H3's) system.

If at any point this weekend, someone is looking to test these, send me a message. I'd be happy to help.

NOKYARD

Hey guys, nok here. I have a few minutes left in my leave for Easter Dinner before i have to return to the hospital and i have a request.

In my absence Dani (Slightly Live) has stepped forward and submitted Truss to the Community Cartographers. He still needs screenshots and a video of Watershed, and a video of Reactor.

If some kind soul could forward these to him it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

MrBig

I'll take care of Watershed when I get home tonight, and I may have a film of reactor as well if vhfive doesn't see this.

vhfive

NOKYARD said:
Hey guys, nok here. I have a few minutes left in my leave for Easter Dinner before i have to return to the hospital and i have a request.

In my absence Dani (Slightly Live) has stepped forward and submitted Truss to the Community Cartographers. He still needs screenshots and a video of Watershed, and a video of Reactor.

If some kind soul could forward these to him it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Unfortunately I'm at my parents house in NH and won't be back near my xbox until Tuesday (maybe even Wednesday).

ps I hope your surgery went well and you get better soon.

NOKYARD

vhfive said:
Unfortunately I'm at my parents house in NH and won't be back near my xbox until Tuesday (maybe even Wednesday).

ps I hope your surgery went well and you get better soon.
Surgery went very well. Not out of the woods quite yet.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:
I'll take care of Watershed when I get home tonight, and I may have a film of reactor as well if vhfive doesn't see this.

PM me when you have them ready and I'll submit. =)

Hope you recover soon Noky.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Dani said:
Anyone have a 8v8 recorded game on the final version of Truss? =s

i only have whats in the file set... i do have one for a (slightly) older version i think, if that helps

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
op_ivy said:
i only have whats in the file set... i do have one for a (slightly) older version i think, if that helps

As long as it isn't too old, it should be fine. There shouldn't be any major revisions done since the video and the final.

op_ivy

Dani said:
As long as it isn't too old, it should be fine. There shouldn't be any major revisions done since the video and the final.

i'll check and post tonight. is it being submitted for BTB then?

Just read the WWU - Kingdom is on the list to go into MM playlists such as Double Team, Team Slayer and Arena. Which is cool.

It's a shame I've totally gone off Reach of late. Would like to get back into Forge soon.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There are concerns about Watershed. Object density is very high and the budget is almost entirely used - how is split screen performance?

MrBig

Dani said:
There are concerns about Watershed. Object density is very high and the budget is almost entirely used - how is split screen performance?
No one has experience frame drops, up to 8v8, and I have played 2p split screen with out frame drops, but problems arise above that. Shield doors took out a huge portion of the budget and the ones under the mancannons near blue base can be removed without needing other changes if money is needed for anything. I believe the version in my fileshare has antennas as hill markers, I was experimenting with that. They look cool but add nothing. They can be removed, as they would only show up in KoTH in any case.

I can re-work the rock siding and greatly reduce it if a higher split screen count is needed. That's what causes frame drops above 2p.

op_ivy

Dani said:

and Truss? is that video(s) sufficient?

NOKYARD

Sikamikanico said:
Has there been any feedback with regards to any changes for it? Or are they happy with it "as-is"?
I think you already answered that one yourself.
Sikamikanico said:
Just read the WWU - Kingdom is on the list to go into MM playlists such as Double Team, Team Slayer and Arena.
You can't get any better feedback than that.

Sorry for all the pics, but this thread has been a little slow lately anyways.

I've been toying around with a Sword Base layout that relies less on the jetpack and gives everyone more movement options. Mostly trying to get more use out of the spaces and give it a few new paths and jumps. I'm also trying to draw people away from the top of yellow lift, that area always turns into a deathtrap.
So here is what I have so far:

Glaive v1.1

I built a simple floating bridge to open up the top level more.
etd5lj.jpg

Another shot of the new bridge:
mai32x.jpg

The jersey barrier at the vent entrance helps make the sight lines for that spot similar to what they are in the default layout.

Teleporter A sender node:
bfmgia.jpg

Teleporter A receiver node (also note the new platforms below):
20b0rv5.jpg

Another shot of the mid-level platforms:
wqsaxd.jpg

Teleporter B sender node:
10rqn84.jpg

Teleporter B receiver node:
1zb6rur.jpg

Let me know what you think. If you actually download the map, try to focus on the new geometry over the weapon placement. I was experimenting with weapon balancing and haven't had a chance to test it with other players yet. I also haven't touched the spawns yet, so they're the same as the template I used (Sword Base V3 that's in matchmaking now).

Are there going to be ForgeGAF customs tomorrow today? If nothing else, send me a message here or on XBL if you want to help me test at any time. GT: ncsuDuncan

Insaniac said:
are customs at 3 est?

Usually, but there doesn't seem to be much interest this week, apart from you and I.

Normal HaloGAF customs happen at 8pm (I think), maybe there's a better chance of that happening.

Retro

So is ForgeGAF still alive?

I was bored and the A/C was out this week, so I hunkered down in the coolest room of the house with a fan at point blank range and made a new map. It's a little bit like a larger version of Turf, with a nice mix of my usual multi-floor shenanigans thrown in.

However, I don't have an XBL Subscription anymore, and I'm wondering if it's even worth resubscribing if nobody is even around to test it. Knowing how little I played before (pretty much JUST ForgeGAF meets), I'm not sure it's worth it.

Anyways, seems like Reach is dead. Meh, Halo usually does burn out pretty quick for me, Forge or not.

Retro said:
So is ForgeGAF still alive?

I was bored and the A/C was out this week, so I hunkered down in the coolest room of the house with a fan at point blank range and made a new map. It's a little bit like a larger version of Turf, with a nice mix of my usual multi-floor shenanigans thrown in.

However, I don't have an XBL Subscription anymore, and I'm wondering if it's even worth resubscribing if nobody is even around to test it. Knowing how little I played before (pretty much JUST ForgeGAF meets), I'm not sure it's worth it.

Anyways, seems like Reach is dead. Meh, Halo usually does burn out pretty quick for me, Forge or not.

I'll be around for testing this Saturday. I've got some more improvements for Glaive in the works (more ways to move from the bottom level to the action up top), as well as (what I think) is a solution for CTF on that level (basically move the lower flag base straight up two floors.)

I don't think ForgeGAF is dead, it's just been a little slow lately. Sleeping.

So would anyone be interested in some ForgeGAF testing on Saturday?

vhfive

So I've been trying to make a btb map for about 2 months now. I've restarted about 5 times and have come real close to finishing twice. Then on Wednesday I started new again and then didn't really stop until today. Usually a map takes me about a week - two weeks to finish but for some reason this one just kinda came together. It's not completely done there is some geometry I want to tweak and the spawns were hastily put down but that's because I'm leaving for the weekend in about 15 min. and I wanted it completed so it would be ready if customs happened.
Anyways I don't have a map title yet but I wanted to put it out there just in case so here are the links:

map

quick rendered preview

tldr: made a btb map in 3 days, links above

vhfive said:
So I've been trying to make a btb map for about 2 months now. I've restarted about 5 times and have come real close to finishing twice. Then on Wednesday I started new again and then didn't really stop until today. Usually a map takes me about a week - two weeks to finish but for some reason this one just kinda came together. It's not completely done there is some geometry I want to tweak and the spawns were hastily put down but that's because I'm leaving for the weekend in about 15 min. and I wanted it completed so it would be ready if customs happened.
Anyways I don't have a map title yet but I wanted to put it out there just in case so here are the links:

map

quick rendered preview

tldr: made a btb map in 3 days, links above

I like it! Looks like fun. And I love any map with room for a Warthog.

Might be a little tight for 8v8, but I could definitely see 6v6 being a blast there. Is it ready for testing?

And once again: is anyone interested in ForgeGAF testing tomorrow?

Top Bottom