• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Kuroyume said:
Isn't there a vehicle one for Firefight? That has to be the toughest since most maps don't even have vehicles.
Which is a shame. We could really use some Firefight DLC, with more vehicle options.

(and port over the best ODST firefight levels too)

Striker said:
You could make the same argument for the hardcore Halo 2 fans who finally got Halo 3 in their system.

Equipment that slowed down the game + removed hitscan
Slower movement base speed
Floaty moon jumps
Shitty maps
Erroneous, unchallenged number-ranking system so you'll often see 50's

People say that compared to the Halo 2 system the Halo 3 system is easier, but when you look at the average population, the difficulty of getting to 50 seems about right. The ranking system isnt perfect and seems skewed, but not everyone is a 50, I think the system provided a decent challenge. Sure The people who played Halo 2 competitively for years found Halo 3's system easy simply because they were already good.

As for shitty maps, Reach's are worse! At least we had Guardian and The Pit back then, no matter how you look at it, those 2 maps were so good I didnt really need any others. To be fair I was less judgemental than most. I enjoyed most of Halo 3's maps despite not many of them standing out as classics. There were a few stinkers though.

I liked equipment, but it seems that everyone including Bungie hated them. :lol

Base movement and a less accurate BR are things I can agree with - and again Reach went down the waterfall and made these things worse.

This is a very negative post, but you basically just picked up on complaints on Reach and said the same issues where prevalent in Halo 3. I dont think thats a good argument, and quite frankly would prefer to see change than to simply say 'meh these things have always sucked'. That said I dont think as a small community our opinions should influence the game - but its still better to bring up issues than have that 'meh' attitude.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out, that Bungie are definitely improving Reach. The new DLC Noble map pack maps are far better than any other map in the game, and the tweaks to playlists has made the game a lot more enjoyable! So having feedback aswell as numerical data to work from is probably beneficial to them.

MIMIC

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
People say that compared to the Halo 2 system the Halo 3 system is easier, but when you look at the average population, the difficulty of getting to 50 seems about right. The ranking system isnt perfect and seems skewed, but not everyone is a 50, I think the system provided a decent challenge. Sure The people who played Halo 2 competitively for years found Halo 3's system easy simply because they were already good.

As for shitty maps, Reach's are worse! At least we had Guardian and The Pit back then, no matter how you look at it, those 2 maps were so good I didnt really need any others. To be fair I was less judgemental than most. I enjoyed most of Halo 3's maps despite not many of them standing out as classics. There were a few stinkers though.

I could play that map 20 times in a row and never complain :D

Reach's maps are so....uninspired. Jacked right outta the campaign seems kinda lazy, IMO.

ShinAmano

NullPointer said:
Which is a shame. We could really use some Firefight DLC, with more vehicle options.

(and port over the best ODST firefight levels too)
Oh god yes!

That said the vehicle one is pretty easy on beachhead...you just have to get in either the ghost or the rocket hog and be(have) a good driver.

MIMIC said:
I could play that map 20 times in a row and never complain :D

Reach's maps are so....uninspired. Jacked right outta the campaign seems kinda lazy, IMO.
IIRC they were multiplayer spaces that were modified into campaign spaces, not the other way round.

ShinAmano said:
Oh god yes!

That said the vehicle one is pretty easy on beachhead...you just have to get in either the ghost or the rocket hog and be(have) a good driver.
Soo much fun. I usually drive with my buddy on the rockets so I havent gotten much progress on the commendation.

I'd really like to see some kind of firefight variant where we could use air vehicles. Maybe some kind of New Alexandria based level with a mix of aerial and rooftop combat. Don't know how it could work exactly, but it would be a truly unique Halo experience.

ShinAmano

NullPointer said:
Soo much fun. I usually drive with my buddy on the rockets so I havent gotten much progress on the commendation.

I'd really like to see some kind of firefight variant where we could use air vehicles. Maybe some kind of New Alexandria based level with a mix of aerial and rooftop combat. Don't know how it could work exactly, but it would be a truly unique Halo experience.
I love to drive...150 splatters and 228 wheelman kills just on that one map in FF.

Falagard

Here's what I'd like in Halo 4's multiplayer:

Movement speed and jump height returned to what was in previous Halos.
Melee returned to what was in previous Halos.
Vehicles having regenerating health like previous Halos.
Sprint permanently mapped to a button, and not considered an armor ability.
Armor abilities and equipment both in the game, mapped to the same button, with equipment being a single use item that is dropped on death.
Major tweaks to armor abilities and equipment - including huge changes to Armor Lock to make it less spammy. Removal of drop shield and replaced by single use Bubble Shield equipment.
More multiplayer maps focusing on vehicles.
More firefight maps focusing on vehicles.
Remove reticle bloom and put in actual recoil.
Major updates to Forge editing, including terrain editing, light placement (with proper lighting and shadows for Forge placed items).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Falagard said:

Armor abilities and equipment both in the game, mapped to the same button, with equipment being a single use item that is dropped on death.
Major tweaks to armor abilities and equipment - including huge changes to Armor Lock to make it less spammy. Removal of drop shield and replaced by single use Bubble Shield equipment.
Major updates to Forge editing, including terrain editing, light placement (with proper lighting and shadows for Forge placed items).

You forgot;

Give Voc rumber stamp duty on the Campaign story and Cocop on the gameplay sandbox

:lol

Maybe it's just me but I don't think we're going see another Halo with Bungie's style of gameplay, so I'm not expecting any changes that bring back the feel of previous games. Reach is probably the end of the line as far as that is concerned.

Its time for new blood, and a new take on the universe. About the only thing I'd expect to stay in terms of keeping the game a "Halo" game is open vistas and excellent AI.

Then again I could be absolutely wrong.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
Pardon my ignorance if this has been answered, but when are the Forgetackular contest winners going to be announced?
I don't know, but if the subtitle of the next BWU isn't 'forge maps galore' I'm giving up hope.

Falagard said:

And now for something completely different...
Halo's gameplay has all but died off in the new generation of gamers (I feel old when it comes to gaming and I'm 17), it needs a complete refresher, not morph it into a conglomeration of CoD and H2.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
What's population got to do with it? The numerical system in Halo 2 gave users a personal challenge - hitting the mid 30's gave a satisfaction, and those higher numbers motivated you for more. Not to mention it was rare for people to be high ranks sans any boosting or modding. In Halo 3 it was often for players to hit mid-high 40's or the 50 itself.

Falagard, I would be content with no equipment, armor abilities, or any sprint function. Make the base speed fast like Halo 1/2 and reduce any clutter you would get from AA or equipment. A true map editor is my primary hope for 343's game.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
NullPointer said:
Maybe it's just me but I don't think we're going see another Halo with Bungie's style of gameplay, so I'm not expecting any changes that bring back the feel of previous games. Reach is probably the end of the line as far as that is concerned.

Its time for new blood, and a new take on the universe. About the only thing I'd expect to stay in terms of keeping the game a "Halo" game is open vistas and excellent AI.

The next proper Halo game will feel and play like a Halo game. You can bet on it. The formula will not undergo a drastic change. Microsoft have made billions with Halo and have invested millions to keep it going.

Reach is radical enough as it is, but I'm certain the Chief's next outing will feel like a homecoming rather than an exotic adventure.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:

I'm looking forward to where another, new studio takes the series. They'll have to strike fine balance between retaining what defines the series - the deep sandbox, golden tripod and the AI, vehicles and emergent combat - and moving in their own direction. Those are the only elements I see returning, as they're part of Halo's foundation. Everything else is up in the air.

Bungie added and removed elements (equipment, dual wielding) and made a host of gameplay changes (bloom, base traits, shield/health systems) as the series went along, so I'm expecting a new developer to carry on that tradition. I'm not going to be surprised if they peel back a lot of the additions/changes found in Reach. I think it's a natural given that visions for the game and how to make it work will differ from team to team (even within Bungie).

I'd go so far as to say I hope they don't feel bound by what Bungie has done, aside from the aforementioned foundational elements. I'd like to see what a new set of eyes does with the series.

(On a totally unrelated note, I can't wait to see what Bungie is up to. Mah balls are getting bluer by the day.)

GhaleonEB said:
(On a totally unrelated note, I can't wait to see what Bungie is up to. Mah balls are getting bluer by the day.)
Tell me about it ;P

But yeah, I'm pretty much where you're at. In fact, I'd be pretty damn surprised if the next Halo is a FPS with the standard map control elements we've seen all these years. But anything is possible I guess.

Falagard

Striker said:
Falagard, I would be content with no equipment, armor abilities, or any sprint function. Make the base speed fast like Halo 1/2 and reduce any clutter you would get from AA or equipment. A true map editor is my primary hope for 343's game.

Yes, In general I prefer multiplayer gameplay without armor abilities (except for sprint, which I would miss if removed). However, removal of armor abilities completely also removes some of the variety that can be achieved in the game (and customs), and in general I'd rather have them there and used sparingly in specific game types rather than removed altogether.

I think power-ups and equipment are some of the core aspects of Halo that differentiate it from COD or Battlefield. I like the ability to throw down a power drainer to disable vehicles in Halo 3, or a bubble shield to protect a team mate. I also miss overshield and camo as power ups.

Striker

Falagard said:
I think power-ups and equipment are some of the core aspects of Halo that differentiate it from COD or Battlefield. I like the ability to throw down a power drainer to disable vehicles in Halo 3, or a bubble shield to protect a team mate. I also miss overshield and camo as power ups.
They could have four or five powerups similar in fashion to the overshield and camo. Anywhere ranging for dislodging radar, deploying a mine/drainer, or giving brief health recharge. Personally I loved both Halo 1's and Halo 2's health systems, and would not mind each way they go (health packs, fall damage or no fall damage and recharging health).

Only thing that pisses me off in MP (Which is utterly fantastic) is the fact that Sprint is a goddamn ability, it takes way too long to kill someone (even by Halo standards), and the fact the Motion Tracker shows up NO MATTER WHAT. Which is dumb. It should show enemies that fire a weapon.

Arnie

Reach number three best selling game of the year, congratulations Bungie, pour one out.

Despite my complaints, Reach is a really fun game, and the best Halo singleplayer I've ever played.

Don't know if it was a glitch or something but I got a vehicle commendation in Glacier when I got kills with the turret. I knew I needed a few more going into it, but weird how I got it with the turret.

cool_dude_2049 said:
Don't know if it was a glitch or something but I got a vehicle commendation in Glacier when I got kills with the turret. I knew I needed a few more going into it, but weird how I got it with the turret.

Really? Do it again and post results. It would be awesome to have another option for working on that commendation besides beach head.

Squall ASF said:
Really? Do it again and post results. It would be awesome to have another option for working on that commendation besides beach head.

I was refering to something that happened the other day, but I just checked right now.

I had 303 before I started Gruntapocolypse on Glacier, I got a few mounted and unmounted turret kills and it went up to 316.

cool_dude_2049 said:
I was refering to something that happened the other day, but I just checked right now.

I had 303 before I started Gruntapocolypse on Glacier, I got a few mounted and unmounted turret kills and it went up to 316.

Nice find! It's a real pain to get a commendation up when only one map has a vehicle to do it and you need everyone to vote for it. Not to mention, good luck getting much if it's rocketfight.

Ramirez

Dani said:
The same thing was said about Halo 3 around here. :lol

Funny that, isn't it?

Get your head out of the sand, people dogged Halo 3 (rightfully so at times), but still continued to play it every night. The only person on my list that I played Halo 3 with that still plays this game a lot would seem to be Nutter. :lol

cool_dude_2049 said:
It is confirmed that turret kills = vehicle kills. Covie turrets don't work for it, though.

Alienshogun said:
:lol

I wish it hadn't done THIS well, just because I hate armorlock.

Yeah, that's a serious statement.

No but are you talking about on GAF games of the year or something? Don't even listen to them GAF is fucking CRAZY. Swear to god they had Flower higher than Shadow Complex last year for Arcade games... they are out of their damn mind...buncha damn hipsters.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
No but are you talking about on GAF games of the year or something? Don't even listen to them GAF is fucking CRAZY. Swear to god they had Flower higher than Shadow Complex last year for Arcade games... they are out of their damn mind...buncha damn hipsters.

Nah, in the NPD thread.

ElRenoRaven

Hell I'll throw my thoughts in on what future Halo's need. Keep in mind I love them all even Halo 2 which I thought was a bit lacking. If all the rest of the games are 9.5's then Halo 2 for me was an 8.

Now onto what I would like to see. I'm sure most will disagree and that's fine. World would be a boring place if we all agreed.

Personally for future Halo's, assuming that Microsoft doesn't go out of it's way to change it up, I want it to go back to Halo 1 quality first and foremost.

Gameplay wise it would be simple. Take Halo 1 add vehicle jacking and assassinations. bring the fall damage back to Halo 1 levels and maybe add sprint but that's it.

Now vehicle wise make them identical to how they functioned in Halo 1 for any vehicle that was in Halo including Wraith. Now add the Brute chopper, a human flying vehicle with weapons, and the Mongoose. It's that simple.

Now weapon additions and changes let's bring back the covenant sniper rifle, carbine, the brute weapons including spiker grenades and flame grenades. Let's lose the laser, the repeater, beam rifle, missile pods, and other such useless weapons etc.

Then last but not least it's design the maps separately from the campaign. They lose originality by having to either shoehorn them into the campaign or vice versa. Include a bunch of maps and give us a map maker or some advanced tools in forge that allow us to maybe alter terrain somewhat.

Do all that and you have the best Halo since Halo 1. Well assuming the story is on par with Bungie's and you don't bastardize everything Bungie created you do.

Blueblur1

Firefight Arcade is so delicious. If it doesn't become a permanent hopper, I hope it at least comes around once a month. It scratches the same itch games like PacMan CE DX and Geometry Wars 2 do. It is so much fun. :)

zumphry

Banned
Insaniac said:
I'm gonna assume that since my Map file never got a download hit that something went wrong with my submission :( :( :(

So i'll just share it with you guys, its a fun and competitive CTF map

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileSets.aspx?player=TheLintendo

If it makes you happy, I downloaded it and think it looks cool and would play really well (well, maybe you should make the middle structure that's outcropping from the Quarry a bit smaller, but whatever)

feel

FF Arcade is so good <3 had a blast playing with friends earlier for a few hours.

And Bnet player model decided to update just when I'm about 12k cR away from Mk VI helmet lol

but Carter helmet is hot too
nwlkdv.jpg

Sai-kun

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Hell I'll throw my thoughts in on what future Halo's need. Keep in mind I love them all even Halo 2 which I thought was a bit lacking. If all the rest of the games are 9.5's then Halo 2 for me was an 8.

Now onto what I would like to see. I'm sure most will disagree and that's fine. World would be a boring place if we all agreed.

Personally for future Halo's, assuming that Microsoft doesn't go out of it's way to change it up, I want it to go back to Halo 1 quality first and foremost.

Gameplay wise it would be simple. Take Halo 1 add vehicle jacking and assassinations. bring the fall damage back to Halo 1 levels and maybe add sprint but that's it.

Now vehicle wise make them identical to how they functioned in Halo 1 for any vehicle that was in Halo including Wraith. Now add the Brute chopper, a human flying vehicle with weapons, and the Mongoose. It's that simple.

Now weapon additions and changes let's bring back the covenant sniper rifle, carbine, the brute weapons including spiker grenades and flame grenades. Let's lose the laser, the repeater, beam rifle, missile pods, and other such useless weapons etc.

Then last but not lease it's design the maps separately from the campaign. They lose originality by having to either shoehorn them into the campaign or vice versa. Include a bunch of maps and give us a map maker or some advanced tools in forge that allow us to maybe alter terrain somewhat.

Do all that and you have the best Halo since Halo 1. Well assuming the story is on par with Bungie's and you don't bastardize everything Bungie created you do.

also make it for pc so i never have to touch my 360 again. thanks.

Kibbles

Alienshogun said:
Nah, in the NPD thread.
Speaking of which, OT-GAF has a warrant out for your head now. :lol (See how empty this post is now!)

I'm jealous of everyone's awesome armor. =(

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
Firefight Arcade is so delicious. If it doesn't become a permanent hopper, I hope it at least comes around once a month. It scratches the same itch games like PacMan CE DX and Geometry Wars 2 do. It is so much fun. :)
Aye. I had the kind of day where Fistfight was exactly what I needed.

One thing I only just noticed tonight was the AI for the Elite Heretics is very different than regular ones. They didn't charge our position, but rather took up firing positions at mid range (or long range for the snipers).

We had some great cross-building shootouts with packs of dudes on Outpost.

Eliteshootout.jpg

Eliteheretics.jpg

Good games, Zayne.

ElRenoRaven

Sai-kun said:
also make it for pc so i never have to touch my 360 again. thanks.

Personally I think they way they have treated the franchise on PC has been a crime. Halo PC was great. Halo 2 was atrocious in that it required a very strong PC which it really shouldn't have. Also the way they treated the map makers with their tools released was just nuts. Pretty much locked them out of being able to do a ton of stuff.

Then we can't forget the crimes of not releasing Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST. Then we can pretty much bet that Reach will also never see the light of day on PC either.

Top Bottom