• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

ShinAmano

Gui_PT said:
Honestly, being Winter Contingency, you barely have to shoot. I know what you guys are saying, but this one is pretty fun and doable
Yeah I think I will get it no problem, but I was just complaining about the blind (aka no fun aka armor lock of skulls) being part of the challenge (and future challenges).

Gui_PT

ShinAmano said:
Yeah I think I will get it no problem, but I was just complaining about the blind (aka no fun aka armor lock of skulls) being part of the challenge (and future challenges).

Yeah, if it was any other level it would be a huuuuuge annoyance. But in this case you can just skip most of the encounters so it was pretty fun.

Just got it myself. Loved doing it :D (died 3 times because unfortunately, the BOB spawned right in front of my vehicle with a concussion rifle)

Edit: Managed to assassinate the invisible elite with the datapad, which I didn't think was possible.

Yup, Winter Contigency is doable. It would be a horror to do a LASO run on PoA. I'll do it on the weekend. No time for it during the week. But I'm happy to see a awesome new challenge.

Gui_PT said:
Yeah, if it was any other level it would be a huuuuuge annoyance. But in this case you can just skip most of the encounters so it was pretty fun.

Just got it myself. Loved doing it :D (died 3 times because unfortunately, the BOB spawned right in front of my vehicle with a concussion rifle)

Edit: Managed to assassinate the invisible elite with the datapad, which I didn't think was possible.
Clip it!

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I won't be bothering even trying then. The Blind skull is a novelty, and there's nothing fun about it at all. The Gold skulls are difficulty multipliers that alter the game in ways that are interesting to work around. But removing the HUD and targeting reticule? Terrible Challenge. I was looking forward to the LASO ones, but including Blind is really dumb. Disappointing.

Well if LASO/SLASO runs didn't include the Blind skull, then it wouldn't be Legendary, All Skulls On. Instead it'd be Legendary, Almost All Skulls On.

Just get some cheerios, tape one where the middle of the reticule is on your tv, and you're good to go.

Or you do it with other people and hop on their backs like Yoda without having to do anything

ZayneH said:
Well if LASO/SLASO runs didn't include the Blind skull, then it wouldn't be Legendary, All Skulls On. Instead it'd be Legendary, Almost All Skulls On.

Just get some cheerios, tape one where the middle of the reticule is on your tv, and you're good to go.

Or you do it with other people and hop on their backs like Yoda without having to do anything
Blind is a silver skull, right? LAGSO would be much better :/

I hope everyone at Bungie will hug Urk today.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:

All Gold skulls on is what I always envisioned it being. That way it's an ultra-hard version of Halo, where I have to play methodically and carefully, rather than the "I wonder what weapon I have, if I have any grenades, where my arm went and if I'm about to die or not" game. Which is not very fun.

Did a few runs just now, kept dying to the random lone needle. I'll run through with a group tonight if anyone wants to go through it together.

Plywood said:
I just want this complaint to be statistically the highest on HaloGAF.

Bloom sucks.

Bloom is not fun.

Bloom is the worst addition to the game.

Bloom happened because they hired the Shadowrun bloom guy, yes that is who you are to me.

Bloom =/= Skill = Patience.

Bloom only really affects the following weapons: DMR, Nerfle, Magnum. Sniper rifle's bloom is just masking its firing rate. Power weapons don't have bloom. Any other weapon doesn't count/sucks.

While I'm here:

Plasma Launcher was better in the beta.

The jumping in this game flatout is so good~ I love sprinting and jumping 3ft and gravity pulling me down.

The melee latency in this game is also less than stellar.

The revenant glitch on Forge Worlds is also a negative.

Fire whoever made The Cage, I wish you guys would own up to this abomination and just get rid of it.

Get rid of Spire also.

OMG I JUST GOT MATCHED UP WITH A MYTHIC HE MUST SMELL LIKE SWEAT AND CORNFLAKES. /foreveralone.jpg
kylej said:
hell naw

Pros:

No Shishka.

Cons:

Bloom sucks.

Latency window sucks.

Microwave gun nerf from beta.

Increased rocket damage = ridiculous.

Arena ranking system.

Arena doubles settings.

Removing DMRs from all playlists because of terrible weightings.

Reduced jumping.

Armor abilities.

A healthpack system that is a complete waste of time. Seriously, stop and think about it for a second.

Random ass FFA spawns in every single playlist ruining the beautiful chess-like gameplay of previous Halos in favor of dinosaur rolling BK bonanzas.

Every map. Specifically the lack of symmetrical and BTB maps. I weep for Valhalla & The Pit.

Forge 1.01(a) aka Forge 2.0 blows. No, giving us different blocks to play with after 3 years of dev time isn't OK.

Theater 1.03(a) with Not Enough Resources™ to make auto Youtube uploading so Bungie can keep bilking their most hardcore fans out of cash to... show how much fun they're having with a Bungie game. Love, Bungie.

Campaign writing. Horrendous. See: Kat getting blained in some random 5 second scene and nobody caring about ol' robo croaking.

Framerate.

Terrible Challenge system and an overall credit system that lacks any of the satisfaction of other games. You mean I have to play 200 games of Reach just so this little icon can have a bar underneath it? *random kid buys COD*

Replacing real maps with cobbled together Forge World maps, then certain employees coming to NeoGAF and having the gall to say it's a suitable replacement (insert :lol smiley here)

Grenade damage.

Lack of callouts on maps.

And the worst thing of all? Almost nobody from my friends list who I enjoy playing Halo with still likes the game enough to play.
Just re-posting for a new page, and I agree with everything here. Which is kind of sad and disappointing.

I didn't mind bloom at first, but 4 months in, I am not enjoying it really at all in the extended battles across the map.

"And the worst thing of all? Almost nobody from my friends list who I enjoy playing Halo with still likes the game enough to play."

^^That rings true for most of my friends list. It is so sad when I realize I have the same lack of desire in my own heart too.

Edit: The raw fiction of Halo is keeping me interested though. Halo: Cryptum is amazing.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Best Weekly so far? I might do it if Dead Space 2 doesn't eat up all my free videogame time.
Were the Blind skull not on, I'd agree. I was looking forward to these. But I think it's hands-down the worst with it on; it's absurdly un-fun. But the cR pile is big enough that I want to get through it. General is a long ways away.
Striker said:
If you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. This isn't rocket science. I can't fathom people who continue to play a game but rant on and on how they cannot enjoy the experience. Wah wah bloom, jesus christ.

It has some issues, but so did Halo 2 and Halo 3. I found Halo 3 boring months after, because its maps were shit and the hit detection on the weapons were hilariously bad. It is/was such a disappointment I sold it as soon as I got Reach, but kept Halo: CE and Halo 2, because I know I will want to play those again.

My main issue here is just poor playlist management, which was a strong case for poor decision making in the last game, as well. That's all on Bungie's hands.
We've seen this in every game. Halo2sucks.com was filled with guys playing the bejesus out of the game to demonstrate how terrible it was, and Halo 3 was a non-stop bitch fest at times (AR/BR anyone).

What I like about Reach is it's big enough for me to find something I want to do at any time, no matter what kind of mood I'm in. I think the writing and story in the campaign is a huge disappointment, but it's very fun to romp through most of the missions; the campaign co-op playlist is great. Firefight will never get old. (Issues with MP like armor lock, movement speed, jump height, health system and grenade damage aren't issues there.) And despite my problems with Forge World, I love having a giant Lego set to make playgrounds on.

I'm not as big a fan of the MP because there are smaller slices of it that I enjoy than previous games (thanks to the maps, armor lock and playlist configuration). There's lots of problems with Reach, but the game is huge and most of it is awesome.

Striker

If you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. This isn't rocket science. I can't fathom people who continue to play a game but rant on and on how they cannot enjoy the experience. Wah wah bloom, jesus christ.

It has some issues, but so did Halo 2 and Halo 3. I found Halo 3 boring months after, because its maps were shit and the hit detection on the weapons were hilariously bad. It is/was such a disappointment I sold it as soon as I got Reach, but kept Halo: CE and Halo 2, because I know I will want to play those again.

My main issue here is just poor playlist management, which was a strong case for poor decision making in the last game, as well. That's all on Bungie's hands.

Striker said:

See my post here, I want to love it because it is Halo, but I just can't seem to, and I don't play it that much either anymore, with that said here....

Wow, so I actually played some Reach Matchmaking for the first time in forever, and wow, now I know why I've been on hiatus for this game. The fun factor that was involved with Halo 1 - Halo 3 is just gone completely. It seems more like a chore to play than to actually have fun. I didn't even play bad, I actually had 2 out 3 good games.

Even still today, I'm puzzled as to what was the decision behind some of these game-play changes. Was Halo's game-play really that sour that it required such a huge change for Reach? Armor Lock, Melee System, Bloom, Awful Maps, lack of fun BTB game-types and maps, (I also love evade, but when everyone is using it in a match, it really screws up the game) etc... Where has all that classic Halo fun gone too? Sure the FF and campaign are good, but man I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't know, this game needs fixed, and I'm still upset that Bungie hasn't even acknowledge their problems or even said anything about a patch, makes me wonder if we will ever get one at all. /rant

Sorry had to, it has been a while since I played and I had an urge to get back in and try again last night, but it just didn't last long at all and the fun factor was low. I have just lost complete interest with Halo over the year, didn't think that would ever happen.

Striker

CrazedArabMan said:
See my post here, I want to love it because it is Halo, but I just can't seem to, and I don't play it that much either anymore, with that said here....
I love Halo, like you, but if I can't enjoy the game I'm not going to play it. I eventually did that to Halo 3 and never looked back, nor really cared. Once you lose the enthusiasm, it isn't easy to get it back until the next installment.

There's still posts day after day affirming the hatred for the game yet they continue to play. Rinse and repeat.

Was Halo's game-play really that sour that it required such a huge change for Reach? Armor Lock, Melee System, Bloom, Awful Maps, lack of fun BTB game-types and maps
The "huge" changes began in 3 where they tried the equipment experience. They just built it further with abilities. Melee was trash in 3, too. Not something new in Reach. Bloom wouldn't be nearly as bitched about if Bungie didn't make it visible. Maps were dog shit in 3, another item that isn't new. BTB can be fun, but you have to swim through Bungie's hard-dick love for Headhunter and constant waves of Slayer. It seems those behind the scenes began to dislike CTF and Assault after they left Halo 2.

Striker said:
I love Halo, like you, but if I can't enjoy the game I'm not going to play it. I eventually did that to Halo 3 and never looked back, nor really cared. Once you lose the enthusiasm, it isn't easy to get it back until the next installment.

There's still posts day after day affirming the hatred for the game yet they continue to play. Rinse and repeat.

The "huge" changes began in 3 where they tried the equipment experience. They just built it further with abilities. Melee was trash in 3, too. Not something new in Reach. Bloom wouldn't be nearly as bitched about if Bungie didn't make it visible. Maps were dog shit in 3, another item that isn't new. BTB can be fun, but you have to swim through Bungie's hard-dick love for Headhunter and constant waves of Slayer. It seems those behind the scenes began to dislike CTF and Assault after they left Halo 2.

Your logic is flawed, this is a discussion board, complaining about Reach /= playing it, infact complaining about it might bring about changes that bring back peoples interest in actually playing it. At the very least I can only hope the people at 343 are keeping tabs on the various communities around the web. I know we are very much the vocal minority but meh - complaining is much better than not complaining in my opinion.

Ultimatly Striker you badmouth Halo 3 in every one of your posts, so its a bit ironic to tell people to stop doing the same about Reach.

So far the communities bitching has brought about many positive results in game. Clearly the foundations are still bad, but with better maps and focus on bringing out the parts of Reach people like, the game will be better as time goes by.

Gui_PT

Here you go Squidhands

Unfortunately, after getting the weekly, I checked Waypoint for news so all of the videos were gone once I returned to the game.

I decided to try it again and this time, I actually went too fast :lol But I got him.

bobs99 ... said:
Your logic is flawed, this is a discussion board, complaining about Reach /= playing it, infact complaining about it might bring about changes that bring back peoples interest in actually playing it. At the very least I can only hope the people at 343 are keeping tabs on the various communities around the web. I know we are very much the vocal minority but meh - complaining is much better than not complaining in my opinion.

Ultimatly Striker you badmouth Halo 3 in every one of your posts, so its a bit ironic to tell people to stop doing the same about Reach.

So far the communities bitching has brought about many positive results in game, clearly the foundations are still bad, but with better maps and focus on bringing out the parts of Reach people like the game will be better as time goes by.
I know for a fact 343 has people watching boards. Hopefully they're listening, though. *cough* Cocop *cough*

ElRenoRaven

Fuck that weekly. Seriously what the fuck are you guys at Bungie thinking? Without a doubt it takes the crown for worst weekly ever.

Only way I'd remotely touch that weekly is if it was worth 100,000 credits minimum.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:

So far the communities bitching has brought about many positive results in game, clearly the foundations are still bad, but with better maps and focus on bringing out the parts of Reach people like the game will be better as time goes by.
What the fuck? If I bad mouth Halo 3, it's for my own preferential reason. I'm not, however, going to complain and say again and again how I dislike it, only to continue to play it. I didn't have fun as time went on in Halo 3, and eventually I played it a couple times every few weeks, or didn't at all.

PsychoRaven said:
Fuck that weekly. Seriously what the fuck are you guys at Bungie thinking? Without a doubt it takes the crown for worst weekly ever.

Only way I'd remotely touch that weekly is if it was worth 100,000 credits minimum.
Not even close to the worst weekly.

I think there was a firefight challenge that took 3 hours, and was less than most daily challenges. That was a terrible one.

This one is challenging (a bit annoying with blind on), mixes it up, and has quite a large reward for very little play (if you do it right).

Striker said:

See the problem with Equipment however was that A: it was a pickup, meaning you had to fight for it, just like any power weapon. B: It was a one time use. I actually found equipment much better than Armor Abilities, still didn't care for them too much, but they were at least somewhat balanced.

Now the bolded is so true, when I veto Headhunter or Slayer, why in return do I get Headhunter and Slayer come up as my only options again? Assault is nowhere to be seen, 1 flag games are completely unbalanced with the defending team mostly winning every round. 2 Flag games mostly end in draws now, it just seems BTB was left out to die, I had a feeling when we didn't get to play any BTB in the beta that signs were not good for the full release.

But like others were saying, I want to like Reach, I really do, but I just can't. I don't play the game anymore, and the only way for me to try to enjoy is to play the game. So when I do hop on and start looking forward to it, it sucks not having any fun when I know deep down the core Halo game-play that I love is there, but with all these extra add-ons that ruin it.

Its like a cake that is really good, made from one of the best bakers around, but on top of that cake is loads of icing, icing that is unorganized, doesn't make up a good design, and also tastes like it has been left out in the open. But the cake is still good, you just have to try to ignore that bad icing and then you get a taste of that delicious cake. Unfortunately its still really hard to ignore the bad icing on top.

*Disclaimer: Yeah I know weird analogy, but it works.

CrazedArabMan said:
Its like a cake that is really good, made from one of the best bakers around, but on top of that cake is loads of icing, icing that is unorganized, doesn't make up a good design, and also tastes like it has been left out in the open. But the cake is still good, you just have to try to ignore that bad icing and then you get a taste of that delicious cake. Unfortunately its still really hard to ignore the bad icing on top.

*Disclaimer: Yeah I know weird analogy, but it works.
It's like a brand-name car that looks nice on the outside, has a great engine, but the brake and gas pedals are all screwed up, headlights don't really work at night, and the seatbelt locks you into place so you can't really have a comfortable driving experience.

It's like going on a beautiful hike, but carrying an 80lb backpack, and you black out every 10 minutes, but you try to keep going.

It's like playing a video game that has a great core and history, but just is awful in all the other crap they throw in there. Examples: most video game franchises.

Major Williams said:
It's like a brand-name car that looks nice on the outside, has a great engine, but the brake and gas pedals are all screwed up, headlights don't really work at night, and the seatbelt locks you into place so you can't really have a comfortable driving experience.

It's like going on a beautiful hike, but carrying an 80lb backpack, and you black out every 10 minutes, but you try to keep going.

It's like playing a video game that has a great core and history, but just is awful in all the other crap they throw in there. Examples: most video game franchises.

Yeah, but cake is delicious, so I like the cake one.

Exypher

Hey guys, if anyone wants to team up for the weekly challenge, my GT is Exypher.

I was also thinking of doing some ODST firefight games so if anyone's up for that add me too!

Bitching as you play the shit out of the game is a strong tradition among halo players. The biggest complainers on this thread have all played at least a thousand games of Reach in 5 months. After being active on the internet from the Halo-> Halo 2 then Halo 2-> Halo 3, it's pretty much the expected behavior. Ghaleon brought up Halo2sucks.com as an example also.

At this point, I'd be more worried if people didn't bitch like crazy.

Edit: And even the silly analogies, another important staple of Halo Bitching.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
electricpirate said:
Bitching as you play the shit out of the game is a strong tradition among halo players. The biggest complainers on this thread have all played at least a thousand games of Reach in 5 months. After being active on the internet from the Halo-> Halo 2 then Halo 2-> Halo 3, it's pretty much the expected behavior. Ghaleon brought up Halo2sucks.com as an example also.

At this point, I'd be more worried if people didn't bitch like crazy.

Edit: And even the silly analogies, another important staple of Halo Bitching.
We complain because we care.

jred2k

I've just gotten back into Reach over the last week after not having played it for a couple months and I'm enjoying it a lot. I think its probably the best all-around online experience on the 360. There are moments when I get frustrated at the bloom and the shitty ranking system, but the good moments greatly outnumber the bad. There are a ton of games I play online that have me constantly yelling "Bullshit", but when I die in Halo I always know that I did something wrong when I die. It might not be the most balanced game to play, but I would say its one of, if no the, most consistent.

The only game in recent memory that I really didn't enjoy was a game of Grifball with terrible lag. The timing on the hammer was fucking brutal and we got spawn camped the entire game.

The maps aren't the best the franchise has seen either, but they aren't terrible. I just hope that one day I can get an official remake of Colossus.

Sibylus

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Played a game of BTB after a long time of not playing in there and got Elite Slayer on Hemmorhage... What the hell? Seriously? Each team gets three ghosts at spawn so the entire time I'm playing I'm getting splattered by wave after wave of respawning ghosts all while some asshole is blasting me from a mile away with the focus rifle. That was one of the worst things I have ever played... So bad that I couldn't believe it. This is from the same guys that made Halo 2?
This gametype and this map are one of my favourite combinations in the game. There's definitely vehicles everywhere, but there's a stable of tools available to counter them.

You've got Evade and Jetpack serving evasive roles, and Armour Lock serving. What's important here is that Evade and Jetpack are useful enough for that purpose that everyone won't opt for AA. Myself, I often go for Evade and the Needle Rifle. I do get splattered by a rampaging Ghost on occasion, but most of the time I see or hear it coming and dive out of the way. With my plasma pistol and grenades, I stand a good chance of disabling or taking it down. Every other loadout gets the same secondary support, so they can act similarly when the marauders come boosting through.

Compare this to regular BTB Slayer on Hemorrhage. Most people go with Armour Lock because there's few viable anti-vehicle alternatives available to them (Jetpack isn't nearly as useful here because of the ubiquitous nature of precision weaponry, and Sprint isn't nearly as good as Evade for evasive motions). You have one plasma pistol in your base, one Sniper Rifle, and virtually nothing else within close proximity. If the other team gains a numerical advantage in vehicles, you're proper fucked until yours spawn again. If the other team is rolling around nearby and knows what's up, they'll trash or jack half of it as soon as it spawns in. If this was Elite Slayer, you'd have half your guys lobbing plasma pistol overcharges and plasma grenades. I splatter a lot of people with vehicles in this map and gametype, but half the reason why I get away with it most of the time is because I know when to defer engagement when people see me coming. Without surprise, a guy on a Ghost in Elite Slayer is pretty much already dead. Even in a Revenant or a Wraith, a single infantryman with a plasma pistol can punish overconfidence in seconds. I'm by no means a top-tier player, but discretion and awareness serve me well here and are a reason why I enjoy Elite Slayer and Hem so much.

NOKYARD

Hypertrooper said:
Yup, Winter Contigency is doable. It would be a horror to do a LASO run on PoA. I'll do it on the weekend. No time for it during the week. But I'm happy to see a awesome new challenge.
Hint
(aka - dirty little secret of SLASO runners)
place a simple (and removable) marker, like a piece of post-it note, on your TV screen to indicate the reticule. One runner suggested licking one side of a Cheerio and applying it to a Sniper reticule before applying the Blind skull.

Remember to save your films. I will cap and post the fastest runs on High Speed Halo's YouTube channel.

Ramirez

Striker said:

Put them on ignore if it bothers you that much, this is a discussion board, not a cocksucking board.

Although at this point, if you're still not feeling the game, but continue to play, you have no one to blame but yourself. I hope on for the occasional game, but quickly realize why I don't play it religiously like I did past entries, it's a sloppy mess of a MP game, MLG salvaged it the best they could, but you can't erase core problems like bloom out of the game sadly.

Just remember, Working. As. Intended.

All I can say is, please don't let Sage anywhere near the next game's MP, he really has NO clue what made Halo great, and instead shoe horned a bunch of garbage from Shadowrun into Halo, and then changed core aspects of Halo like the melee system.

Then there's the other thought that maybe Bungie just got lucky with Halo, they never really changed the formula too much between 1/2/3, and when they did with Reach, it failed hard for me, so yea.

Plywood said:
We complain because we care.

There's always a few veins of different criticisms, and as long as someone has given it an adequate chance, I can't really just say "Hey you are wrong." I mean, I can disagree and, lay out my reasons for enjoying something that you don't, (IE, the Melee system, which I think is generally a positive change.) but I can't tell you that "You are wrong and you should actually like that thing."

Often times though, when a developer changes a beloved franchise (and we really love some Halo round these parts) we the fans, tend to see only the negative side of change.

For example, the the reasons people miss the 1-50 system are totally valid: Arena doesn't give the same feel of progression, there's no good way to differentiate between casual and competitive game types, Skill is less central to the overall game presentation. So while losing those things are bad, what Reached gained by the change has improved my experience. In Halo 3 I found games were plagued with second accounters, boosters, and quitters. In Reach a high rank is less valuable, so it's discouraged those parties, or at least pushed boosters over to firefight, where they are less destructive. So the overall experience of playing Reach online for me, as someone who rarely goes in with a party, is dramatically improved.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Put them on ignore if it bothers you that much, this is a discussion board, not a cocksucking board.
Eh, if people wanna play a game they despise, but continue to play it and afterwards hop on the Internet to vent, whatever. Just screams juvenile. I want to say you should know this by now - look at Madden '11. Shit was garbage, and nobody in their right mind would want to continue playing it after knowing they don't like it.

Note: I don't care if people bitch. But I don't see the premise of playing a game you hate so much.

Now the bolded is so true, when I veto Headhunter or Slayer, why in return do I get Headhunter and Slayer come up as my only options again? Assault is nowhere to be seen, 1 flag games are completely unbalanced with the defending team mostly winning every round. 2 Flag games mostly end in draws now, it just seems BTB was left out to die, I had a feeling when we didn't get to play any BTB in the beta that signs were not good for the full release.
Bungie is leaving CTF and Assault out to die. The residue of this theory began in 3 when they ignored Team Objective. In today's playlist, if you want to play Assault, you GOT to play MLG or Team Objective and get it to be voted on. If you want to play CTF, you have to play MLG, Team Objective and do the same as noted about Assault, or if you are lucky it might show up in BTB outside the Slayer shenanigans. Hopefully 343 loves CTF and Assault as much as I do...

GloveSlap

Ramirez said:
All I can say is, please don't let Sage anywhere near the next game's MP, he really has NO clue what made Halo great, and instead shoe horned a bunch of garbage from Shadowrun into Halo, and then changed core aspects of Halo like the melee system.

Then there's the other thought that maybe Bungie just got lucky with Halo, they never really changed the formula too much between 1/2/3, and when they did with Reach, it failed hard for me, so yea.

Yeah, I never understood why they tried to make Halo so much like a game that virtually no one bought or played. Brilliant decision there.

I am almost starting to think we are going to see a repeat of the Nintendo-Rare situation where Microsoft is going to look brilliant for selling Bungie when they did. Bungie really picked the worst possible to screw the pooch with Reach. It has really tarnished their legacy at a fragile time when they are on their own with a new IP.

Edit: As far as the transitions between Halos:
Halo 1 to Halo 2-Really different but 2 was still an awesome game
Halo 2 to Halo 3-Halo 2 was better but 3 fixed the cheating and glitching problems
and 3 was still great.
Halo 3 to Reach-A huge step backwards in every way. A mess.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Striker said:
Eh, if people wanna play a game they despise, but continue to play it and afterwards hop on the Internet to vent, whatever. Just screams juvenile. I want to say you should know this by now - look at Madden '11. Shit was garbage, and nobody in their right mind would want to continue playing it after knowing they don't like it.

Note: I don't care if people bitch. But I don't see the premise of playing a game you hate so much.
I'm hoping all of my complaining constructive criticism can get Bungie talking about a title update. Also Halo is my bread and butter, I'll always end up coming back to it.

Striker said:
Bungie is leaving CTF and Assault out to die. The residue of this theory began in 3 when they ignored Team Objective. In today's playlist, if you want to play Assault, you GOT to play MLG or Team Objective and get it to be voted on. If you want to play CTF, you have to play MLG, Team Objective and do the same as noted about Assault, or if you are lucky it might show up in BTB outside the Slayer shenanigans. Hopefully 343 loves CTF and Assault as much as I do...

If Bungie wanted to kill off CTF and assault they'd make bubble shields and evade part of the standard loadout.

:(

Striker said:

I miss Halo 2 Flag Wars, with everyone rushing the flag in the middle, now that was fun. :(

GhaleonEB

Not to pile on Sage - I like a lot of what he did, though obviously not all of it - but I smile when thinking about some of his original ideas that got pulled back. Assassinations were originally going to be the only way players could one-hit kill from behind. All Grunts had the breathing mask on them that had to be shot off before the headshot. I kind of wonder if bloom was applied to player movement, then peeled back to just applying to firing rate. We complain now, but imagine of those had stayed in.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I've become pretty bi-polar about Reach like most other players. Sometimes it's great fun, other times I want to break my disc in half. I agree with Striker that the biggest problem is playlist management. There are too many broken and stupid gametypes, weapon/vehicle settings, and armor loadouts in the playlists that crowd out the few good ones. Also, the voting system sucks (e.g. first round 3/3 choices are elite slayer, second round 2/3 choices are elite slayer). If 5 out of 6 gametypes for a game are elite slayer, that's lazy programming. Gunplay and melee don't bother me except the hammer timing feels strange to me (after playing Grifball).

/rant

Looking forward to see what 343 does with Halo moving forward. Not sure I'll jump on Bungie's next game right away, especially if the space flight sim we played was a preview. It was decent, but nothing special.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
Not to pile on Sage - I like a lot of what he did, though obviously not all of it - but I smile when thinking about some of his original ideas that got pulled back. Assassinations were originally going to be the only way players could one-hit kill from behind. All Grunts had the breathing mask on them that had to be shot off before the headshot. I kind of wonder if bloom was applied to player movement, then peeled back to just applying to firing rate. We complain now, but imagine of those had stayed in.
So what you're saying is: Fire Sage.

Top Bottom