• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Booties

Banned
kylej said:
I think I'm going to buy Blops this weekend. Iscariote said he goes like +60 every game so it should be fun to run train on kids.

Good. It will be fun to play games with people I actually like.

I can't stand the opening dialogue/jogging around. Anyone want to try this with me? B 2 DA OOTIES

Hey You

xxjuicesxx said:
Fuck that sword elite! Just killed me again, I fuckin plasma pistold him twice shot a whole DMR clip into him and beat him down before he killed me thats fucking bullshit.
Let Jorge take care of him.

Lure him up the ramp and follow you to where Jorge is standing. Run behind Jorge behind those blue water crates and jump down.

That's what I usually do.

Booties

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Fuck that sword elite! Just killed me again, I fuckin plasma pistold him twice shot a whole DMR clip into him and beat him down before he killed me thats fucking bullshit.

I literally just raged after I did the exact thing as you. I think it would be easier if you can just run around in a circle. Up the ramp towards jorge, then over the railing and around and up the ramp again. Or hide in that spot. I didn't see it on my last try.

Or do it with me. Quit out of that shit, you're going to die.

GhaleonEB

Anyone want to partner up for the Weekly? I'm gonna put some post-it note on my TV.
darthbob said:
I find it easier to do it Solo. Another person just adds difficulty.

Heck, with Saving and Quitting every time you die, it's as if Iron has the same effect as with Co-Op.
But I guess that goes against the 'spirit' of the challenge.
With two players, you only reset to the last check point if one dies, rather than the beginning of the level. That takes the difficulty down quite a few notches.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
Anyone want to partner up for the Weekly? I'm gonna put some post-it note on my TV.

I find it easier to do it Solo. Another person just adds difficulty.

Heck, with Saving and Quitting every time you die, it's as if Iron has the same effect as with Co-Op.
But I guess that goes against the 'spirit' of the challenge.

GhaleonEB said:
With two players, you only reset to the last check point if one dies, rather than the beginning of the level. That takes the difficulty down quite a few notches.
I realize that, however, if you die going solo and save and quit while you're dead, you can resume from your last checkpoint. It's how I did it, and worked flawlessly.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dani said:
Wait, folks are thinking the Forerunner concept was somehow cut from Halo 3? Wat?
No, I know it wasn't cut out from H3, however, don't you ever get that feeling that Halo is a vast universe and the games have explored only the tip of the iceberg? I have read and seen enough shit that would make for a dozen awesome adventures, yet I always got this feeling that Bungie played it very safe with the sci-fi elements that got introduced in the games. Please, do not confuse this with the gameplay. IMHO, there has been a couple missed opportunities for Forerunner flashbacks and what not. Then again, when Bungie took a risk (Halo 2) there was a huge fucking backlash, so I can understand their attitude.

Yes, got the Weekly done with some friends, last part was a pain, with a sword guy and 2 concussion rifle elites. Managed to kill the sword guy and used the bubble shield to make my way toward the other elites and just spammed the trigger on them, with my friends providing distraction and covering plasma pistol fire. Man my heart is racing from that, it was crazy, but it is done.

GhaleonEB

CrazedArabMan said:
Yes, got the Weekly done with some friends, last part was a pain, with a sword guy and 2 concussion rifle elites. Managed to kill the sword guy and used the bubble shield to make my way toward the other elites and just spammed the trigger on them, with my friends providing distraction and covering plasma pistol fire. Man my heart is racing from that, it was crazy, but it is done.
Nutter, Metroidvania and I just cleared it. It was nasty but fun in a crazy sort of way, and took nearly an hour with 37 total deaths between us. That last part...jeebus. Nice thing was I notched a Gold Commendation and got at total of 15,250 cR for the game.

Co-op is definitely the way to go, it's a lot more fun than trying it solo as I did this morning. If they do this for another mission, the payout is going to have to be epic.

Pics and highlights incoming.
CrazedArabMan said:
It was getting very annoying near the end though, we were about to just give in as we weren't making any progress against the elites at the end, then out of luck I managed to get in close with the sword and just went to town. Tough challenge, and it was very frustrating at time (which I don't care for), but the reward and the feeling that we actually got it done was worth it. Though a higher payout I think is required for it.
That's exactly how we cleared it, they did distraction and I went in and went ballistic with the sword.

GhaleonEB said:
Nutter, Metroidvania and I just cleared it. It was nasty but fun in a crazy sort of way. Pics and highlights incoming.

It was getting very annoying near the end though, we were about to just give in as we weren't making any progress against the elites at the end, then out of luck I managed to get in close with the sword and just went to town. Tough challenge, and it was very frustrating at time (which I don't care for), but the reward and the feeling that we actually got it done was worth it. Though a higher payout I think is required for it.

CrazedArabMan said:
yea, the only hard part was the end, but it definitely helped that me made our own reticules out of tape. but we pulled though and are now 12500 credits richer, if that matters anymore

RdN

Just finished the Weekly with a couple of friends.. We spent about 1 hour just in the last part, but after we figured to use Jorge as bait for the sword elite, it became kinda easy.

zumphry

Banned
Above the Neckline
Kill 5 enemies with headshots in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. - 1250cR

This is My Rifle...
Earn 100 kills with precision weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking. - 2000cR

Cook 'em, Clean 'em!
Kill 20 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking while you're jet-packing. - 1250cR

Chaddlesby's Justice
Avenge your teammates' deaths 5 times in multiplayer Matchmaking. - 1500cR

Chaddlesby's is a new challenge, I think.

Gui_PT

20 kills with jetpack...

35258ir.jpg

Edit: And the payout is hooorrible

Exypher

No daily challenges for me since I don't have the map pack. Bummer. If anyone is up for doing the weekly challenge with me please add me to XBL, my GT is Exypher

I would also like to do some ODST firefight or perhaps even a legendary playthrough of the game soonish, so if you're interested in that add me as well!

EDIT: Actually I can do the last challenge in Grifball... I guess I'll do that.

godhandiscen said:
No, I know it wasn't cut out from H3, however, don't you ever get that feeling that Halo is a vast universe and the games have explored only the tip of the iceberg? I have read and seen enough shit that would make for a dozen awesome adventures, yet I always got this feeling that Bungie played it very safe with the sci-fi elements that got introduced in the games. Please, do not confuse this with the gameplay. IMHO, there has been a couple missed opportunities for Forerunner flashbacks and what not. Then again, when Bungie took a risk (Halo 2) there was a huge fucking backlash, so I can understand their attitude.

The way Halo 2 was split wasn't great, at the time I didn't really mind, but looking back I definitely see why the reaction was so bad. Playing as the enemy was a nice idea, but executed pretty poorly. It doesn't help that the Arbiters levels where some of the worst in the game.

It may have been a different story if we got to play as Chief in the present day and had flashbacks to a Forerunner (ideally the one in the concept art Dani found :p). I don't know how that would have worked, or if Halo is even mature enough to go down that route. But imagine just how awesome it could have been to sort of go through the environments in the Forerunner time and then do the same with the Chief afterwards. Obviously the times there story crossed paths would have to be brief to avoid repetition but imagine the tension they could built.

Imagine if level 1 showed what happened during the Forerunners time, you have a clean crisp, well lit environment, and towards the end of the level you trap the flood somewhere. Now in Chiefs time your in the same place, but it hasn't aged well, and your heading to where the forerunner trapped the flood...

Exypher said:
No daily challenges for me since I don't have the map pack. Bummer. If anyone is up for doing the weekly challenge with me please add me to XBL, my GT is Exypher

I would also like to do some ODST firefight or perhaps even a legendary playthrough of the game soonish, so if you're interested in that add me as well!

EDIT: Actually I can do the last challenge in Grifball... I guess I'll do that.

You can do all those challenges in any playlist. The only playlist that requires the map pack is the DLC playlist... it's not like how Halo 3 worked.

Dani said:
So... what's wrong with this picture?

reachm.jpg
lol, this happened to us. Bastard squeaked in through the door and almost killed us all.

Have to say, after nearly 2 and a half hours and a total of 207 combined deaths, the weekly is done. Never before have I raged so hard at a game, and never before have I come so close to quitting at the very end. The last part with the three Elites was just torture. I managed to assassinate the sword Elite at one point, but could never get behind him again. The Blind skull didn't end up being as bad as I thought it would be, but I spent a lot of time running through the mission while the rest of the team decided that points were more necessary. Still, it was a great sense of accomplishment. The next one better be a HUGE payout.

ShinAmano

So I did the weekly last night...had a partner up until the Kat closing the door scene and he dropped out. The sword elite went for George and I assassinated him...grabbed the sword and made my way down to the last elite...waited next to the door with the sword and he appeared...4...that's right 4 swipes of the sword to kill him...I thought I was done for when he came around with the axe kick.

And yeah Blind sucks and is not fun at all.

Exypher

oddworld18 said:
You can do all those challenges in any playlist. The only playlist that requires the map pack is the DLC playlist... it's not like how Halo 3 worked.

Interesting, I guess I just assumed it was the same as Halo 3. Haven't had the game for that long so I never really tried. Thanks!

Holy shit, after four months:

playermodel.png

(Missing the gold visor I finally bought the other day, which pretty much means I'm done tinkering with the armory, though I will continue to buy stuff as I can afford it.)

xxjuicesxx said:

Haha I figured there was a particular elite that pissed you off since you went right back in solo.

OPAro.jpg

Week 2 | Challenge:: Einsamer Wolf
The Rules:

• Legendary or Heroic.
  • Mission: Lone Wolf
  • Don't be a fool. Maybe you are the last Spartan, but a bit support could be nice. (1-4 Players)
  • Free For All. Even if you play in a Team, this is your mission.
  • It wouldn't be a challenge, when you haven't to turn on some skulls:
    Tough Luck, Catch, and Famine must be activated. No other skulls.
  • Must be online when attempting the challenge.
_______

I'll post the winner of the last challenge in a separately post. Next week we'll play NullPointer's firefight gamertype.

So I've played extended amounts of grifball. I think I understand what the griefers are starting to go through.

I was in 2 matches where the bomb guy just stayed in the opposite teams corner so he could control spawning to the furthest 2 spawning locations. The rest of his 3 teammates would mop up and get killionares left and right, not even batting an eyelash that we were struggling to get out of the spawning location.

4-5 rounds of this, people end up with 80-90 kills, the opposite team negative at least 40-50 kills.

This needs to be fixed/addressed. Nokyard, any solution to this?

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
What is this?

Also a friend of mine wanted to find the 'Yeti Dome' Map...anyone know anything about it? Where to download?
Firefight with limited lives, ODST-style survival game, for one Set. Full rule set hasn't been published yet.

If you look at your leaderboards on b.net, there's a Limited tab with the following game types:

FF Limited
Legendary Limited
Crashsite Limited
Genny Limited

GhaleonEB said:
Firefight with limited lives, ODST-style survival game, for one Set. Full rule set hasn't been published yet.

If you look at your leaderboards on b.net, there's a Limited tab with the following game types:

FF Limited
Legendary Limited
Crashsite Limited
Genny Limited
This looks right up my alley so I guess I'm playing some Reach tonight. Here's hoping Genny and Crashsite have been tuned a bit.

Hypertrooper said:
Week 2 | Challenge:: Einsamer Wolf
One question on this challenge: Are those the only skulls you can activate? Or can you add more to go for a higher score?

Hypertrooper said:
Next week we'll play NullPointer's firefight gamertype.
Oh shit. Prepare for team insanity :D

NullPointer said:
One question on this challenge: Are those the only skulls you can activate? Or can you add more to go for a higher score?
You will win automatically if you finish the level without dying and as a LASO run. Try it!
Nope. No other skulls pls.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:

FF Limited
Legendary Limited
Crashsite Limited
Genny Limited
Sounds good...only one set? Also what are Crashsite ans Genny?

Thanks for the link to the map.

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
Sounds good...only one set? Also what are Crashsite ans Genny?

Thanks for the link to the map.
Genny and Crashsite are Generator Defense game types. Crashsite was originally a Score Attack mode, where there's only one generator to defend, instead of the three in Genny. It didn't play well because the drop ship always dumped dudes off right on top of the generator. I'm hoping the modes have been tweaked during their absences.

Gui_PT

Major Williams said:
Anyone else interested in the Crysis 2 demo out today?

Apparently it is similar enough to Reach to say 'it is similar to Reach' on the OT.

It has AA's, that's all they have alike. That and jump height

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Major Williams said:

Apparently it is similar enough to Reach to say 'it is similar to Reach' on the OT.

Reach's multiplayer Beta didn't freeze up my 360 every other game.

Gui_PT said:
It has AA's, that's all they have alike. That and jump height
Guns, full body armor suits, grenades, assassinations, points, sci fi

Dani said:
Reach's multiplayer Beta didn't freeze up my 360 every other game.
Haha +1 to bungle then. (they probably have better coders in general too)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Major Williams said:
Haha +1 to bungle then. (they probably have better coders in general too)
Well, yeah Bungie would have better coders for a 360 game considering it's been their only development platform for half a decade now.

Reach isn't like Crysis at all, besides having guns and sprint, I don't see any parallels.

Major Williams said:

Most of the conversation is about graphics, and so the one dude that thinks its similar probably influenced all the other people.

Its similar on paper, but in my opinion it actually takes some of the things Reach did and does them in more interesting ways. It basically stole some of the armour abilities, but you can use them all simultaneusly on the fly. So for example you can sprint, jump over a building, then go into sort of overshield, kill someone and then go camo to sneak away.

Its quite cool, and quite fun - the base movement feels really jerky, and so mostly instead of people sort of doing all these cool manouvres - you end up running at eachother shooting your assualt rifles at eachother. So in a way it sort of plays like Halo, but a way people should never play Halo. :p

The base movement is quite nice though, allowing sort of super jumps, and a decent speed of movement, its just hampered by what seems like lag?

The core gunplay is much more like CoD, with ADS and so on, but when you go head to head you both end up putting on overshield, so it generally comes down to spraying at eachother for a while and hoping your more accurate. So its like CoD's gunbattles but prolonged much longer. I think if the game had a BR equivilent (and strafing was possible) it would be awesome. Again, the core gunplay feels NOTHING like Reach.

It also stole the idea of Hologram, you can get a gun attachment that shoots holograms out of your gun lol but apart from on paper the shields and armour abilties are present, the gameplay plays NOTHING like Reach, and the armour abilities are a lot more transparent, and dont influence the gameplay as much.

bobs99 ... said:
Its similar on paper, but in my opinion it actually takes some of the things Reach did and does them in more interesting ways. It basically stole some of the armour abilities, but you can use them all simultaneusly on the fly. So for example you can sprint, jump over a building, then go into sort of overshield, kill someone and then go camo to sneak away.
Just wanted to correct this point - the original Crysis had all of these armor abilities far before Reach hit the scene.

NullPointer said:
Just wanted to correct this point - the original Crysis had all of these armor abilities far before Reach hit the scene.

Ah yeah, dont take my post too literally, I didnt mean steal armour abilities as such, but the way they work in Crysis 2 is very similar to how they work in Halo, so its a very easy comparison to make. They didnt steal the idea of armour abilities (as they sort of did it first) but im standing my ground that they copied Hologram. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
bobs99 ... said:
Most of the conversation is about graphics, and so the one dude that thinks its similar probably influenced all the other people.

Its quite cool, and quite fun - the base movement feels really jerky, and so mostly instead of people sort of doing all these cool manouvres - you end up running at eachother shooting your assualt rifles at eachother. So in a way it sort of plays like Halo, but a way people should never play Halo. :p

The base movement is quite nice though, allowing sort of super jumps, and a decent speed of movement, its just hampered by what seems like lag?

The core gunplay is much more like CoD, with ADS and so on, but when you go head to head you both end up putting on overshield, so it generally comes down to spraying at eachother for a while and hoping your more accurate. So its like CoD's gunbattles but prolonged much longer. I think if the game had a BR equivilent (and strafing was possible) it would be awesome. Again, the core gunplay feels NOTHING like Reach.

It also stole the idea of Hologram, you can get a gun attachment that shoots holograms out of your gun lol but apart from on paper the shields and armour abilties are present, the gameplay plays NOTHING like Reach, and the armour abilities are a lot more transparent, and dont influence the gameplay as much.
Reach "stole" armor abilities and refined them so you only have one to choose from to take from your energy pool. As for the gunplay, it doesn't feel at all like CoD, feels much more like, well Crysis for one, with a hint of Bad Company 2.

Haven't seen holograms yet in the beta, but yeah that'd be something they "stole" from Bungie.

GhaleonEB

Exypher said:
10 lives to start, pooled. You get 5 lives back after you complete a set. Played a few games and it's a lot of fun!
Well, there goes that. My desire to play this just deflated by a factor of ten.

Idlers are going to kill this playlist dead. Individual life pools would prevent that.

(I assume you mean 5 back after a Round.)

Exypher

Yep after a round, sorry. I agree on the pooled lives, I would've liked to see per-player lives instead as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Legendary LTD is pretty brutal. I think it can be a lot of fun if you have a good team though (which I didn't :))

equil

Major Williams said:
So I've played extended amounts of grifball. I think I understand what the griefers are starting to go through.

I was in 2 matches where the bomb guy just stayed in the opposite teams corner so he could control spawning to the furthest 2 spawning locations. The rest of his 3 teammates would mop up and get killionares left and right, not even batting an eyelash that we were struggling to get out of the spawning location.

4-5 rounds of this, people end up with 80-90 kills, the opposite team negative at least 40-50 kills.

This needs to be fixed/addressed. Nokyard, any solution to this?

Maybe they should give it like a really long hotpotatoe setting, to where if they hold the bomb too long it will blow up.

zumphry

Banned
Exypher said:
Yep after a round, sorry. I agree on the pooled lives, I would've liked to see per-player lives instead as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Legendary LTD is pretty brutal. I think it can be a lot of fun if you have a good team though (which I didn't :))

Too bad there isn't something like 12 lives overall, with every player having 3 lives for themselves. Once you use your lives, you're out until the next round starts (duh). Lets people actually playing not have to worry about an idler wasting all of the lives, but still gives an element of "oh, I better make sure my bro isn't getting his butt kicked by skirmishers so I gotta help him DMR them so he doesn't die."

Though, that sounded a lot better in my head, and individual lives serves the same purpose when dealing with idlers.. :s

Top Bottom