• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Toddler

I'm sure there's already been talk of this, but what do you guys think of adding more Daily and Weekly Challenges to the mix? Maybe 2 Weekly's, one paying out heavier cRs and one with a smaller pot, and maybe the same (adding one with higher cRs and one lower) for the Daily's?

Also: Who's the highest ranked Gaffer? I saw Gui was a Field Marshal and was like :O

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
I had a weird dream Reach reincorporated H2's 1-50 ranking system, IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Was it also impossible to achieve over a level 45 without bridging host or just flat out cheating? Also, were the ranks reset like 3 times?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Toddler said:
I'm sure there's already been talk of this, but what do you guys think of adding more Daily and Weekly Challenges to the mix? Maybe 2 Weekly's, one paying out heavier cRs and one with a smaller pot, and maybe the same (adding one with higher cRs and one lower) for the Daily's?

Also: Who's the highest ranked Gaffer? I saw Gui was a Field Marshal and was like :O
Well we have this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9787157/joaomgcd/NeoGAF/gamerboard.html#groupLists:reachTab

Though some of the people on that list haven't played in forever.

Tashi0106 said:
Was it also impossible to achieve over a level 45 without bridging host or just flat out cheating? Also, were the ranks reset like 3 times?

Yup, and it was still better than what Reach has. :)

Also it had a completely revamped UI and it was Freaking awesome.

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
They did something with the ranks early on, because it was an achievement getting into the 20's for a while. After it was easier to rank up and getting into the 30+ range was considered a satisfying accmplishment.

Oh, and clan matches were awesome. Minor Clanmatch, Major Clanmatch, then greats like Team Skirmish, Team Slayer, 6v6 Team Battle, and Big Team Battle with a plethora of large maps and gametype-map combinations...

Ramirez

nv1pau.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOO

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
Spire.............

:/
Spire is a POS map I seriously can't believe that thing even exist.

Anyway, I would love to see these maps removed from Arena FFA:

Boardwalk
Pinnacle
Sword Base
The Cage

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:
Spire is a POS map I seriously can't believe that thing even exist.

Anyway, I would love to see these maps removed from Arena FFA:

Boardwalk
Pinnacle
Sword Base
The Cage

We're gonna make a map where the gimmick is you have to spend 10 seconds floating up to a platform that is purple and sucks. Then you can only jump off in specific places. And there's another massive part of the map you'll never see.

We're gonna make the game we wan tto
picard-facepalm.png

Apath

My friend and I love Spire. Nothing better than stealing the spartan's Falcon and flying around raining death on anyone foolish enough to approach the core. On the flip side we like taking the Falcon as spartans up to the top of the Spire, having someone run in, grab the core, and then jump onto the top of the Falcon as we fly them to victory.

Kuroyume

Banned
Played a game of BTB after a long time of not playing in there and got Elite Slayer on Hemmorhage... What the hell? Seriously? Each team gets three ghosts at spawn so the entire time I'm playing I'm getting splattered by wave after wave of respawning ghosts all while some asshole is blasting me from a mile away with the focus rifle. That was one of the worst things I have ever played... So bad that I couldn't believe it. This is from the same guys that made Halo 2?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I just want this complaint to be statistically the highest on HaloGAF.

Bloom sucks.

Bloom is not fun.

Bloom is the worst addition to the game.

Bloom happened because they hired the Shadowrun bloom guy, yes that is who you are to me.

Bloom =/= Skill = Patience.

Bloom only really affects the following weapons: DMR, Nerfle, Magnum. Sniper rifle's bloom is just masking its firing rate. Power weapons don't have bloom. Any other weapon doesn't count/sucks.

While I'm here:

Plasma Launcher was better in the beta.

The jumping in this game flatout is so good~ I love sprinting and jumping 3ft and gravity pulling me down.

The melee latency in this game is also less than stellar.

The revenant glitch on Forge Worlds is also a negative.

Fire whoever made The Cage, I wish you guys would own up to this abomination and just get rid of it.

Get rid of Spire also.

OMG I JUST GOT MATCHED UP WITH A MYTHIC HE MUST SMELL LIKE SWEAT AND CORNFLAKES. /foreveralone.jpg

GhaleonEB

I think we're due a Firefight weekly Challenge, which would mesh with Limited landing on Tuesday nicely. The last Firefight one was the week of Christmas.

Apath

How does bloom =/= skill? It adds another layer to the gameplay, just something else to master. And it's not something everyone picks up on -- none of my friends believe me that firing the pistol as fast as you can is less accurate than taking your time with the shots.

Armor Lock on the other hand is an abomination in terms of throwing off the flow and balance of a match. I like that they put it in Reach; it's fun to use. I just don't think it has a place in a competitive environment.

wwm0nkey

I love bloom in ShadowRun and I love ShadowRun, but I am really starting to HATE boom on Reach....I will just stick to ShadowRun for a bit with my friends for awhile since we just got back into that game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kenak said:
How does bloom =/= skill? It adds another layer to the gameplay, just something else to master. And it's not something everyone picks up on -- none of my friends believe me that firing the pistol as fast as you can is less accurate than taking your time with the shots.

Armor Lock on the other hand is an abomination in terms of throwing off the flow and balance of a match. I like that they put it in Reach; it's fun to use. I just don't think it has a place in a competitive environment.
Bloom is a piss poor additional layer and a weak attempt to keep people from firing off as fast as they can pull the trigger it attempts to slow down the gameplay but only for those three weapons DMR, Nerfle and Magnum yet EVERYTHING else is unaffected. AR spammers, Snipers, Rocketwhores the rare needler guy AND vehicle users are ALL unaffected by it. So you have a whole group of people who are gimped. Then the bloom can be random so some occasional jackass can get an easy kill from pulling the trigger off like nuts and it's not fun. So rather than bringing back the BR from H2 which anybody that mattered in that game loved, they give us the DMR which also is hitscan like the H2's BR but has bloom. This 'thing', which only affects these weapons, the core weapons, the weapons which matter.

Armor lock isn't in any competitive playlist, bloom is.

j-wood

Hey GAF, I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas (was a playstation guy...this is my first microsoft console) so I ran out and picked this up. This is also my first Halo game...where do I begin? Are there some nightly GAF games I can get in on?

j-wood said:
Hey GAF, I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas (was a playstation guy...this is my first microsoft console) so I ran out and picked this up. This is also my first Halo game...where do I begin? Are there some nightly GAF games I can get in on?
Obviously, you begin with campaign. Add some Halo players to your friends list, so you'll often have someone to play with. I'd offer my gamertag, but my friends list is filled up at the moment. :/

GAF holds custom nights in the weekends, as well, I think. They often test out maps from the Forge thread.

Holy hell at that weekly challenge... Now that's one worthy of the name.

equil

wwm0nkey said:
I like the new weekly challenge, finally something that will actually be a good challenge lol

I think the hardest part is going to be not being able to see your reticule or your gun.

equil said:
I think the hardest part is going to be not being able to see your reticule or your gun.
Or restarting the level every time a grunt sneezes at you.

I'm wondering why we can't use any of the visor colors Noble Team has. Jorge and Carter both have a similar hue, a darker gold than the one you can get in the armory. Not being able to use it seems like a strange omission.

Gui_PT said:
So who wants to get a party for that Weekly?
I might be able to in a couple of hours, if you haven't gotten it already by then. Gamertag's BlueNinja BE, just cleared a good third of my friends list. :)

Wizman23

Banned
WOW the first vid master like challenge 5 months after the game launches. Maybe there is hope that our bitching and complaining actually worked. Good challenge this is what they ALL should be like....at least the weekly ones.

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:
I just want this complaint to be statistically the highest on HaloGAF.

hell naw

Pros:

No Shishka.

Cons:

Bloom sucks.

Latency window sucks.

Microwave gun nerf from beta.

Increased rocket damage = ridiculous.

Arena ranking system.

Arena doubles settings.

Removing DMRs from all playlists because of terrible weightings.

Reduced jumping.

Armor abilities.

A healthpack system that is a complete waste of time. Seriously, stop and think about it for a second.

Random ass FFA spawns in every single playlist ruining the beautiful chess-like gameplay of previous Halos in favor of dinosaur rolling BK bonanzas.

Every map. Specifically the lack of symmetrical and BTB maps. I weep for Valhalla & The Pit.

Forge 1.01(a) aka Forge 2.0 blows. No, giving us different blocks to play with after 3 years of dev time isn't OK.

Theater 1.03(a) with Not Enough Resources™ to make auto Youtube uploading so Bungie can keep bilking their most hardcore fans out of cash to... show how much fun they're having with a Bungie game. Love, Bungie.

Campaign writing. Horrendous. See: Kat getting blained in some random 5 second scene and nobody caring about ol' robo croaking.

Framerate.

Terrible Challenge system and an overall credit system that lacks any of the satisfaction of other games. You mean I have to play 200 games of Reach just so this little icon can have a bar underneath it? *random kid buys COD*

Replacing real maps with cobbled together Forge World maps, then certain employees coming to NeoGAF and having the gall to say it's a suitable replacement (insert :lol smiley here)

Grenade damage.

Lack of callouts on maps.

And the worst thing of all? Almost nobody from my friends list who I enjoy playing Halo with still likes the game enough to play.

Kuroyume

Banned
Definitely starting to agree with the bloom complaints. So stupid to have bloom on something like the AR when it doesn't mean anything. I still don't understand the whining about the BR though. The DMR is so much better. I like the feel of one shot compared to burst fire. Too bad some people will have a bad opinion of it because of bloom.

That weekly challenge is stupid. Doesn't one of the skulls make you restart the mission if you die? Good luck completing that... Especially on that level since it goes on forever.

Gui_PT

Kuroyume said:
Definitely starting to agree with the bloom complaints. So stupid to have bloom on something like the AR when it doesn't mean anything. I still don't understand the whining about the BR though. The DMR is so much better. I like the feel of one shot compared to burst fire. Too bad some people will have a bad opinion of it because of bloom.

That weekly challenge is stupid. Doesn't one of the skulls make you restart the mission if you die? Good luck completing that... Especially on that level since it goes on forever.

Sends you to last checkpoint if one of the players dies (during co-op)
I guess it also restarts the level =P

I'm 3/4 into the level and I'm loving it.

j-wood said:

A word of warning. Reach has very much polarised the fanbase, some love it/ some hate it. So if you dont really enjoy it, dont let that stop you from picking up the older entries into the series. If you have just got an Xbox you might even want to start with Halo 1, its a little dated now and about halfway through it gets really repetative, but its worth trying out.

With Reach definatly give campaign a go first, then jump into matchmaking, if matchmaking isnt your cup of tea try Halo 3 multiplayer - Reach and Halo 3 are pretty vastly different so its not uncommon to hate one and like the other.

Interesting weekly challenge by the way.

Lawl at people trying to 1up eachother about stuff they hate. Dont forget about the changes to the Sniper and vehicles guys!

feel

At first I was like, fuck offffffffff... then I noticed the S wasn't there and it's just LASO.

Really awesome weekly, very in the line with what we all had in mind when they first anounced them. Wish it was another more dificult stage to pull it off on, but it's a good start. Can't wait to do it with some friends later on this week.

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
So 'LASO' I have no problem with this other than Blind...I hate the blind skull.
Does all mean silver skulls as well? That's been my concern as well. All gold skulls I could do. Remove the HUD, and no thanks - that's not fun.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Does all mean silver skulls as well? That's been my concern as well. All gold skulls I could do. Remove the HUD, and no thanks - that's not fun.

They're all on. Even the grunt birthday party one.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah...Blind is just plain stupid...and blind bloom oh dear jesus.

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
Yeah...Blind is just plain stupid...and blind bloom oh dear jesus.
I won't be bothering even trying then. The Blind skull is a novelty, and there's nothing fun about it at all. The Gold skulls are difficulty multipliers that alter the game in ways that are interesting to work around. But removing the HUD and targeting reticule? Terrible Challenge. I was looking forward to the LASO ones, but including Blind is really dumb. Disappointing.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
I won't be bothering even trying then. The Blind skull is a novelty, and there's nothing fun about it at all. The Gold skulls are difficulty multipliers that alter the game in ways that are interesting to work around. But removing the HUD and targeting reticule? Terrible Challenge. I was looking forward to the LASO ones, but including Blind is really dumb. Disappointing.
Yeah and that only makes me fear future LASO ones. Winter Contingency is probably the easiest one to make it through with those settings.

Gui_PT

Honestly, being Winter Contingency, you barely have to shoot. I know what you guys are saying, but this one is pretty fun and doable

Top Bottom