• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Havok

Weekly wasn't that bad, especially if you have a second controller lying around. Just took me maybe half an hour, but yeah, Blind is definitely a lazy way of artificially upping the difficulty.

feel

Hey You said:
Gah, I wish these were doable for people who don't have a artistic bone in their bodies.
Agree. He might as well title the Bnet post: "Can't draw? Shit out of luck, no star for you"

Havok

Sure, but I don't think the others are particularly egregious in this case, while Blind was the only one that annoyed me. I don't even mind Black Eye that much, which I know people hated from ODST.

I dunno. It was only really a minor annoyance in the long run, even with all the others turned on.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
The skulls are meant to be shortcuts for upping the difficulty level.
I get what you're saying, but personally I like the separation between the Silver and Gold classes of skulls. The Gold ones each tweak an aspect of the overall combat sandbox to make the game more challenging, with a score multiplier for each as the proverbial carrot. In combination they require a slower, more methodical approach to the game, but it's rewarding to overcome the stacked odds and succeed.

The Silver skulls are what I call the wacky ones. Bigger impact from explosions, funnier combat dialog, exploding Grunt heads with confetti and cheering children. And even wackier, you could play without any HUD element! It's sort of like requiring you to play the game with your toes. Sure it's hard, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

But including Blind in a weekly Challenge is a bit much. Sure it makes the game harder, but there are much more entertaining ways to do that. The entire suite of Gold skulls is one thing - no radar, no deaths, Legendary, 2x enemy health, Black Eye, Catch, the works - and enough for a truly brutal but rewarding Challenge. But make it so I can't see what weapon I'm using, how much ammo it has, where I'm aiming or how much health I have (and more)? I'd rather play the game with my toes.

It's a bridge too far, and takes a serious Halo challenge to the level of farce, IMO.
Dax01 said:
Halo: Reach is a good game that can be fun.

/summary
Reach is like a rich, frosted chocolate brownie, but with walnut pieces in it. I love brownies, and I love frosting, but I hate walnuts with a passion. So I have to pick my way through it, relishing the amazing texture and sweetness, while picking out nuts and occasionally eating one by accident, leaving a nasty taste behind. But the brownie part is OMGYUM with frosting.

Presco

GhaleonEB said:
Reach is like a rich, frosted chocolate brownie, but with walnut pieces in it. I love brownies, and I love frosting, but I hate walnuts with a passion. So I have to pick my way through it, relishing the amazing texture and sweetness, while picking out nuts and occasionally eating one by accident, leaving a nasty taste behind. But the brownie part is OMGYUM with frosting.

Wow! Quite possibly the best (and truest) description of Reach ever conceived.

Problem with a chocolate brownie with walnuts is that I'll just have carrot muffin (blops) instead. Not as good as a chocolate brownie but much more enjoyable than a chocolate brownie with walnuts.

Hope 343 can bake a mean cupcake. Just hold the nuts cause I've got an allergy.

Plywood said:
Halo: Reach would be funner without bloom and Sage.

/summary
That would be Halo 3. Which you can still play.

I likes me some bloom. And its still better practice to let the bloom settle before taking the shot, even if people can get lucky sometimes. But then again I'm not the ultra competitive type that moans stuff like assist methodology (for example), so we definitely appreciate different things.

GhaleonEB said:
But make it so I can't see what weapon I'm using, how much ammo it has, where I'm aiming or how much health I have (and more)? I'd rather play the game with my toes.
[/I]

All the other skulls change the gameplay itself. Blind changes the way you interact with the game. That seems to be the issue here.

I like the challenge. I won't be trying it but I like that it exists.

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
Put a small piece of scotch tape on your tv screen and put a dot in the middle. By small, I mean about the size of the dot.

Done.

Just doesn't account for bloom, ammo, etc.
1) I'm going to do that, though with a piece of post-it note (about the diameter of a pencil, I think).

2) This amounts to advice on how to best play Reach with your toes, and does not address the substance of my issue. When you're having to put markers on your TV to play the game, there's a problem.

That said, I think the post-it solution will work just fine. But I really hope the later Challenges of the same ilk go Gold-only, Silver optional. As has been said, the first mission can largely be sprinted through. Not so for Tip of the Spear.

I've said my piece on it, and will pipe down now. :p

op_ivy said:
haha, sick, my first time seeing this!

juices, what were your impressions of that map (Truss)?

I said it earlier but almost every single map we played on was better than any map in the community playlist.*

Truss was good but I feel how you made the jump to sniper was a good way to showcase where the power weapon was (not just being laid down on a strip of grey but on a seperate space) but the jump was unnecessarily hard, I actually jumped towards the edge and didn't make it once...thats not good imo.

*There was one map kinda Warlock-ish that when you looked towards the center the framerate got choppy...that map was good too though if that could be fixed.

Whats funny is later in the night Booties invited me to some customs that was like half Forgehub and some other people and they had a whole set of amazing custom maps that were all also better than anything in the community playlist.

I understand that the whole thing has a posting/selection process and maybe these maps didn't enter or got rejected for some reason, but fuck that. Someone just needs to compile a list of great maps, fix it up for MM and then make a playlist.

Why we haven't seen a H2/H3 or both playlist is beyond me I've seen so many good remakes, hell I played on The Pit , The Fucking PIT and it was glorious in Reach.

All I know is if I had some power over there I would be getting shit done.

Louis Wu said:
Guy's mistake was not reloading while you were locked. He lost because he needed to reload in the middle of the shooting.

That's armor lock 101, Never reload against an armor locker. I woulda just came out and caught him in reload. Either way they always lose.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MLG with a party of 4 is still a whole lot of fucking fun

/summary

edit: I love no scoping fools

equil

Alright so the weekly took about an hour with just me and another friend.

You can run through most of the mission, and if you have patience your friendly AI will kill all of the enemies, except for the two elites at the end of the mission.

Kinda gotta do some cat and mouse to assassinate the two elites at the end.
The sword elite is actually easy because he keeps trying to kill Jorge and you can just come up behind him, but the second one with the concussion gun is a little harder.

GhaleonEB said:
1) I'm going to do that, though with a piece of post-it note (about the diameter of a pencil, I think).

2) This amounts to advice on how to best play Reach with your toes, and does not address the substance of my issue. When you're having to put markers on your TV to play the game, there's a problem.

That said, I think the post-it solution will work just fine. But I really hope the later Challenges of the same ilk go Gold-only, Silver optional. As has been said, the first mission can largely be sprinted through. Not so for Tip of the Spear.

I've said my piece on it, and will pipe down now. :p
I've done it with a post-it note and scotch tape/clear packaging tape. Clear tape is superior - you can see through it. I recommend ditching the post-it note as you won't be able to actually see what you're hitting.

I know from extended experience. Old PC first person shooters had sniper rifles that were super accurate without scoping in, so long as you were aiming in the center of your screen. Hence, the scotch tape method.

The Crawf

equil said:
Alright so the weekly took about an hour with just me and another friend.

You can run through most of the mission, and if you have patience your friendly AI will kill all of the enemies, except for the two elites at the end of the mission.

Kinda gotta do some cat and mouse to assassinate the two elites at the end.
The sword elite is actually easy because he keeps trying to kill Jorge and you can just come up behind him, but the second one with the concussion gun is a little harder.

You're not kidding. Been on this bit for an hour!

Lazslo

I was going through my file share today and I guess I saved some films from the beginning of customs Saturday night and since I had a ton on render minutes, I rendered three games I though were fun to play- maybe not so mcuh to watch but check em out anyway:
-The first game is on Yeti Dome which was a great map to play on. It's a really good map to warm-up on, and I liked the arena style of play. I wasn't really playing to serious because it was my first game of the night and I paused a couple times to sip a frosty beverage but it was a fun game. I think Ghal even 5 shotted/donged the hell outta me couple times.

-The second is a slayer game we played on my favorite map of the night. In the beginning I killed Dani then spit on his grave, I apologize bro-<3.

-The Third is a CTF game we played on another good map, however I believe we lost- only because I suck and they had more players.
Customs were a great time, Thanks to Dani for being a great host week after week. After not playing Reach for about two months, its great to finally be getting back into it, Cheers.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So... what's wrong with this picture?

reachm.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
NullPointer said:
That would be Halo 3. Which you can still play.

I likes me some bloom. And its still better practice to let the bloom settle before taking the shot, even if people can get lucky sometimes. But then again I'm not the ultra competitive type that moans stuff like assist methodology (for example), so we definitely appreciate different things.
Halo 3 has a non-hitscan BR with individual bullet spread. Reach has the superior netcode and less quitters. Also the assist are broken, ANY shot on an enemy should be considered an assist because you still aided your teammate, period.

Plywood said:
Halo 3 has a non-hitscan BR with individual bullet spread. Reach has the superior netcode and less quitters. Also the assist are broken, ANY shot on an enemy should be considered an assist because you still aided your teammate, period.

Quit making sense. Next halo game will have assist total based on how much damage you dealt that was finished (shield damage recharged would be the only thing not counting) BELIEVE.

Gui_PT

You know, this is what Halo is all about. Just got teamed up against a party of 5 portuguese guys to play Invasion on the Spire.

Cooooompleeeteeelyyyy raaaaped them.

Still, I got a FR at the end of the game and now I have some people to party up with (even though they apparently suck.. which I hope not.. maybe it was just a bad game for them... I don't know... oh god)

I haven't been having much fun with Reach lately, due to many of the reasons stated on this page and the previous one, but then something like this happens reminding me of why this game is awesome.

Gui_PT said:
You know, this is what Halo is all about. Just got teamed up against a party of 5 portuguese guys to play Invasion on the Spire.

Cooooompleeeteeelyyyy raaaaped them.

Still, I got a FR at the end of the game and now I have some people to party up with (even though they apparently suck.. which I hope not.. maybe it was just a bad game for them... I don't know... oh god)

I haven't been having much fun with Reach lately, due to many of the reasons stated on this page and the previous one, but then something like this happens reminding me of why this game is awesome.
I ran into a couple of awesome Brits during Grifball a couple of days back. Continued playing with them until I had to leave, it was a lot of fun.

Booties

Banned
Striker said:
I love Halo, like you, but if I can't enjoy the game I'm not going to play it. I eventually did that to Halo 3 and never looked back, nor really cared. Once you lose the enthusiasm, it isn't easy to get it back until the next installment.

There's still posts day after day affirming the hatred for the game yet they continue to play. Rinse and repeat.

The "huge" changes began in 3 where they tried the equipment experience. They just built it further with abilities. Melee was trash in 3, too. Not something new in Reach. Bloom wouldn't be nearly as bitched about if Bungie didn't make it visible. Maps were dog shit in 3, another item that isn't new. BTB can be fun, but you have to swim through Bungie's hard-dick love for Headhunter and constant waves of Slayer. It seems those behind the scenes began to dislike CTF and Assault after they left Halo 2.

We are what is keeping this game alive. I was about to buy codblops today but I had to run to catch my train. Wednesday looks good though.

Also, I found that Invasion is the only gametype I have fun in by myself because I can just rack up a 4.0 kdr almost every game. Got my invasion kdr up to 1.69 (lol sex) and my overall kdr up to 1.29 (thanks to some commendation whoring in grifball). It's sad that the only thing keeping me playing this game is that I've played so fucking much of it in the past 7 years that I can't let it go. And kyle.

neoism

Lazslo said:
I was going through my file share today and I guess I saved some films from the beginning of customs Saturday night and since I had a ton on render minutes, I rendered three games I though were fun to play- maybe not so mcuh to watch but check em out anyway:
-The first game is on Yeti Dome which was a great map to play on. It's a really good map to warm-up on, and I liked the arena style of play. I wasn't really playing to serious because it was my first game of the night and I paused a couple times to sip a frosty beverage but it was a fun game. I think Ghal even 5 shotted/donged the hell outta me couple times.
yes! This map was awesome.... would be great in Doubles......WITHOUT JET-PACK :p

kylej

Banned
Booties said:
Also, I found that Invasion is the only gametype I have fun in by myself because I can just rack up a 4.0 kdr almost every game. Got my invasion kdr up to 1.69 (lol sex) and my overall kdr up to 1.29 (thanks to some commendation whoring in grifball). It's sad that the only thing keeping me playing this game is that I've played so fucking much of it in the past 7 years that I can't let it go. And kyle.

I think I'm going to buy Blops this weekend. Iscariote said he goes like +60 every game so it should be fun to run train on kids.

MrBig

-Yeti said:
So Bungie stole the design of the Geth Soldiers from Mass Effect?

I be joking. Looks sick!
Looks like it was just a bungie artist who did something based off something mentioned in one of the many back stories on Waypoint, not for the games.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MrBig said:
Looks like it was just a bungie artist who did something based off something mentioned in one of the many back stories on Waypoint, not for the games.

This is an exploration done in conjunction with the Terminals from Halo 3. Waypoint, in this context, was the Ark.

Upon hearing tasteless rascist jokes, Dani sheds his usual playstyle to that of a DEMIGOD! Great games last night bro :p

That pic is around Halo 3's time? Sweet stuff.

Fuck that sword elite! Just killed me again, I fuckin plasma pistold him twice shot a whole DMR clip into him and beat him down before he killed me thats fucking bullshit.

Top Bottom