• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
Too bad there isn't something like 12 lives overall, with every player having 3 lives for themselves. Once you use your lives, you're out until the next round starts (duh). Lets people actually playing not have to worry about an idler wasting all of the lives, but still gives an element of "oh, I better make sure my bro isn't getting his butt kicked by skirmishers so I gotta help him DMR them so he doesn't die."

Though, that sounded a lot better in my head, and individual lives serves the same purpose when dealing with idlers.. :s
Zayne, you and me need to shoot many aliens together.

NOKYARD

Major Williams said:
So I've played extended amounts of grifball. I think I understand what the griefers are starting to go through.

I was in 2 matches where the bomb guy just stayed in the opposite teams corner so he could control spawning to the furthest 2 spawning locations. The rest of his 3 teammates would mop up and get killionares left and right, not even batting an eyelash that we were struggling to get out of the spawning location.

4-5 rounds of this, people end up with 80-90 kills, the opposite team negative at least 40-50 kills.

This needs to be fixed/addressed. Nokyard, any solution to this?
Get better at Grifball? (insert smiley here)

This has been discussed within the Grifball community since day one. It was decided that we were not going to let the terrorists win and strip search grandma at the airport (not make changes which ruin the game for legit players due to assholes who grief).

equil said:
Maybe they should give it like a really long hotpotatoe setting, to where if they hold the bomb too long it will blow up.
Would solve the "pussyfooting" problem. Gives me an idea for an interesting variant.

With Firefight limited I assume Friendly Fire is off? Im tempted to shove Reach in and give it a go (after all it was awesome on ODST). But the idea of AFK'ers and Griefers is putting me off.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Zayne, you and me need to shoot many aliens together.

I'll be on tonight if my doctors appointment doesn't go on too long*. I've been itching to get to the weekly too (and try to speed run it).

or a MRI scan rips out the metal rod in my back :[

Striker

With all these Firefight changes recently and adding Grifball©, I wonder when Bungie is deciding to update the other playlists like BTB. -_-

NOKYARD said:
Get better at Grifball? (insert smiley here)

This has been discussed within the Grifball community since day one. It was decided that we were not going to let the terrorists win and strip search grandma at the airport (not make changes which ruin the game for legit players due to assholes who grief).

Would solve the "pussyfooting" problem. Gives me an idea for an interesting variant.
I take pride in knowing I'm not bad at grifball.

However, see this match here: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=447927356&player=Major%20WiIIiams

If the team as a whole sucks, even 1 individual who is trying doesn't make up for the other 3 who aren't. It's a completely team-oriented variant. No matter what strategy I tried, even when I would end one guy's spree, another would come in his place.

Major Williams said:

However, see this match here: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=447927356&player=Major%20WiIIiams

Wow! That one guy had over 80 kills. That's so cool. Oh, wait, it's totally the opposite of cool since he was abusing a gametype in order to, one assumes, improve his K/D or fulfill a challenge. The thing is I can't even get mad at him because the game he is playing rewards him for breaking it. Bummer dudes.

Gui_PT

Bregmann Roche said:
Wow! That one guy had over 80 kills. That's so cool. Oh, wait, it's totally the opposite of cool since he was abusing a gametype in order to, one assumes, improve his K/D or fulfill a challenge. The thing is I can't even get mad at him because the game he is playing rewards him for breaking it. Bummer dudes.

Welcome to Reach!

Reading Halo Cryptum - There is a place SERIOUSLY called "Janjur Qom".

Seriously what the hell. I liked Halo because it left behind stupid Sci Fi names; only unless you REALLY dove into the latin names of the species of the Covenant did you get names like that. Now I have to sound out Janjur Qom because its the name of an actual planet.

I really liked: Delta Halo, Prophets, Arbiter, Reach, Onyx, Lighter than some, Didact etc - normal words used in different contexts. Now, Janjur Qom. wtf.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Major Williams said:
Reading Halo Cryptum - There is a place SERIOUSLY called "Janjur Qom".

Seriously what the hell. I liked Halo because it left behind stupid Sci Fi names; only unless you REALLY dove into the latin names of the species of the Covenant did you get names like that. Now I have to sound out Janjur Qom because its the name of an actual planet.

I really liked: Delta Halo, Prophets, Arbiter, Reach, Onyx, Lighter than some, Didact etc - normal words used in different contexts. Now, Janjur Qom. wtf. Thanks Greg Bear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon_Eridani

krakov

A bit ot maybe, but I played some Halo 3 today and seem to have improved quite a bit by playing reach. Halo 3 was my first contact with the series and I never was any good at it, today though I got my first killing frenzy and did pretty good overall. Does anyone else still play this? when can I find people online? social slayer seems fine but most other playlists were sub 500 players today.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Major Williams said:

If the team as a whole sucks, even 1 individual who is trying doesn't make up for the other 3 who aren't. It's a completely team-oriented variant. No matter what strategy I tried, even when I would end one guy's spree, another would come in his place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFq30hsGAw

Gui_PT

Tashi0106 said:
Hahhahaha I knew what this was before I even clicked the link. What a bad ass montage. Almost as good as the Reach beta montage.
edit: LOLOL Gui, I should have refreshed.

I bet everyone was thinking about the beta montage =P

xxjuicesxx said:
If everyone sends me links to fileshare stuff I'll render it all in HD and make up a montage.

If I had the videos on my laptop and not rendered in HD, that'd just make the montage look bad, right?

GhaleonEB

My first game of FF Limited was very fun. I was the last man standing twice, on the boss wave of the first Round, and a ways into the second. My only death was at the very end after everyone else was gone, and I got ambushed by two Elites back in the safe house when I thought there was only one left. I really missed that feeling of oh shit, no lives left...that ODST had.

My team mates left something to be desired.

Gui_PT said:
I bet everyone was thinking about the beta montage =P

If I had the videos on my laptop and not rendered in HD, that'd just make the montage look bad, right?

Yea I wanna get the same quality throughout. I'm sure you all have good stuff saved on your Xbox.

Hey You

A "Classic" Playlist may very will be coming:

I think the biggest hurdle for a Classic playlist is the widespread disparity that exists in the settings that people think makes the game feel "Classic." As evidenced by this thread and the thread which preceded it, there are varying opinions on what the exact settings should be. No matter which settings we use, someone is inevitably going to think we did it wrong.

That said, I'm not going to let that stop me and I'll be watching this thread as I'd really like to get a Classic playlist up and running for all of you to enjoy.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=55715741&postRepeater1-p=1#55749692

Hah.

I loaded up Reach, saw the weekly... Gave it a try, failed... Now I am playing Trials.

Blind, the revert skull, and the health regen skull... They all suck.

Sikamikanico said:
I like Yeti Dome. So simple, lots of fun. :)

Haha, thanks.

I love how you guys are liking this map. It's surprising, really. :)

Now, I just need an Xbox so I can actually enjoy it with you guys. :( :(

Kuroyume

Banned
I was like OH FIREFIGHT ARCADE IS BACK and then I look at the name on the menu and realize it's something else... Something worse.

Lazslo

So would anyone be down for a Retro-Custom Halo 3 night this weekend or next? I'v mentioned it to a couple people, looking at you Vh, and they said they would interested. I'm curious to see what other people think. It would be fun to go back to H3 for a night to see how different it is and shoot that glorious BR one more time. I just hope Dani still has all those awesome maps on his HD...

Booties

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
If everyone sends me links to fileshare stuff I'll render it all in HD and make up a montage.

I'll render this as soon as my bungie pro account kicks in on the website. my first and only 'real' extermination

Booties

Banned
neoism said:
Halo 3 was soooo fucking awesome. Still......
Reach >>> H3

Also Breaking Benjamin <3.... fav band.... that was a really great montage... :O

Halo 3 would have been the perfect game if it had hit scan. Halo 2 had problems with it, but those are in an old, ancient, laggy geocities internet that I hardly remember

Striker

TacticalFox88 said:
I started playing 16 player matches. NEVER again. AL spam is all over the place.
Try to get a couple players with you and hope Bungle lets CTF comes up. The waves of Slayer and Headhunter sucks, but you can never go wrong with CTF, and Assault if they ever allow it to grace Halo again.

Ramirez

PsychoRaven said:
Like I said there if they do decide to do some classic playlist there needs to be at least two. You need a classic objective playlist and a classic team slayer playlist for those of us who aren't fans of the objective gametypes.

You are a part of the problem.

Objective is like slayer, with a purpose, Halo at its best. I know the Obj. playlist is full of garbage, but to see it under 1K every time I log on is saddening.

Just got the weekly by myself. It wasn't too bad. It took less than 30 minutes to complete. I mostly ran/drove through everything and kicked back while Kat was trying to close the door. After that, all you really need is patience and aim.

Striker

For a Classic playlist, they could set it up with 4 vote slots: regular Slayer, Slayer DMR, CTF, and Neutral Bomb - if none of the above, make it regular Slayer, 1-CTF, Assault, and 3 Plots. Something with a different vibe but similar.

Ramirez

Striker said:
For a Classic playlist, they could set it up with 4 vote slots: regular Slayer, Slayer DMR, CTF, and Neutral Bomb - if none of the above, make it regular Slayer, 1-CTF, Assault, and 3 Plots. Something with a different vibe but similar.

Makes too much sense, won't happen.

Kibbles

Sai-kun said:
still my favorite comment

"Domino Theory grifball kills and exterminations ARE FAKES

first Domino theory dont exist, its not a gamertag.. I looked all handsomebob22 (victim) games and its not here, mean it&#65279; was a custom game.. and there more than 2 spawn in griffball

gay fake"

lmao
Domino's skills are beyond belief.

GhaleonEB

Firefight Limited is pretty awesome. Had some great last man standing, um, stands, holding off for 2-3 minutes against a full Elite General wave solo to revive my two team mates midway through the second Round. We went on to survive through the bonus round at the end. I partied up with them, and we did a few other games together, including a fantastic Legendary game on Corvette. Brutal, but oh so good.

Lots of idlers/droppers, but they mostly dropped out after a while - I'm wondering if Bungie found a way to kick them, or if they just quit after a few minutes. Either way, not too bad. Some crappy players were drains on the lives pool, but that's life.

Fantastic, intense (and lucrative cR payout) playlist. I'll be living in it nightly until it goes away.

Crashsite is a disappointment, though. It's still two Phantoms dumping a zilliion guys right on top of the lone generator. I'd rather it be us trying to defend the generator from a ton of hard enemies dropped a ways away, whittling them down and trying to hold the position.

Kuroyume

Banned
reach_13130731_Full.png

reach_13130722_Full.png

Finally got Security. Have to say that this whole cR system is complete ass. I can't remember how Security was unlocked in the previous game but I believe it didn't take nearly as long to unlock that and everything else. Also, this got me thinking back to when they first revealed the game. I may be mistaken but I recall them saying that the campaign was going to have a lot of branching paths and that players would be rewarded for exploring. I thought maybe they were going to scatter armory pieces throughout the campaign but that wasn't the case... Hell, I can't think of a single thing that anyone found that was worth talking about.

Btw, I need to find a new playlsit. Getting tired of Multi Team and its AL/Evade + AR bullshit. I want BTB but the vehicles drive me crazy. Why did they have to make the explosion vehicles like the Tank and Banshee so damn stupid powerful?

Lazslo said:
So would anyone be down for a Retro-Custom Halo 3 night this weekend or next? I'v mentioned it to a couple people, looking at you Vh, and they said they would interested. I'm curious to see what other people think. It would be fun to go back to H3 for a night to see how different it is and shoot that glorious BR one more time. I just hope Dani still has all those awesome maps on his HD...

Hell yeah!

I remember actually asking Dani if he thought the community would be up for a old school Halo 3 customs night a while back, I would personally love to jump on Halo 3 for a bit.

Whats your GT out of interest? If theres enough people on we could probably even have a impromptu Halo 3 session sometime.

feel

I want that classic playlist to have NO armor abilities at all, that means no sprint either. Over shield and camo single use on pickup, slightly higher run speed and jump. Radar maybe, but without showing elevation.

Booties said:
I'll render this as soon as my bungie pro account kicks in on the website. my first and only 'real' extermination

Yea but nobody has to render anything I'm going to download them and render them on my computer in theater.

Just throw up links to fileshares and I'll queue the download.

Everyone, seriously.

Gui_PT

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea but nobody has to render anything I'm going to download them and render them on my computer in theater.

Just throw up links to fileshares and I'll queue the download.

Everyone, seriously.

Do you need any help? I imagine people will send you tons of videos. Maybe some help managing who sent what or something similar?

Top Bottom