• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

MrBig

Hydranockz said:
I spent the last 3-4 hours trying to help Mr Big with the weekly. My roommate was quite tired at 2am and went afk. We were at the last section for a wile at this point. I soldiered on until 3am, an our later. No dice.

HoreHay is beyond senile.

"Area clear" my arse!
RAAAAAAGGEEEEEEEEASGFDSJGKHDSKLAFJS
when you quit it did go back to restarting level. Nope, no way.

MrBig said:
RAAAAAAGGEEEEEEEEASGFDSJGKHDSKLAFJS
when you quit it did go back to restarting level. Nope, no way.
1293349359419.gif

neoism

I'd love a Classic play-list... but I'm not sure about no sprint... it shouldn't even be an ability.... SPARTANS WALK TOO FUCKING SLOW.... I played Halo 1 on pc a few days ago and I just couldn't stand it.. Even MLGs walking speed is too slow for me. :( I'm just too used to sprint.

Falagard

Domino Theory said:
That post about NoF taking people's views on a Classic playlist seriously is awesome. I don't know if NoF reads GAF, but here's my two cents on what a 'Classic' playlist would consist of:

• No Armor Abilities whatsoever.
  • Jump height and player speed equal to that of Halo 3
  • No fall damage and stun (thanks Dani!)
  • Regenerating health (no health packs at all) and slightly faster shield recharge rate (thanks Dani!)
  • AR/Pistol starts for Slayer, DMR/AR starts for other gametypes
  • No new Reach weapons (No Needle Rifle, Focus Rifle, Pro Pipe, Plasma Repeater)
  • Camo and Overshield power-up on specific maps, if possible
  • No 3D radar (?) (is this even possible to change in Customs?)
  • 5v5 with Slayer, Slayer DMRs, Multi-Flag CTF and Neutral Assault only
  • Slight damage increase (?)
I know there'll be folks who don't agree with my list, but that's okay, this is just what I think of when talking about 'Classic' settings. Maybe if HaloGAF came together and put a comprehensive list of what HaloGAF considers 'Classic', we can have a meeting of the minds with other Halo community sites and come up with one general list of what is considered 'Classic'?

IAWTP

I also want to see a Warlock and Lockout remake in this playlist.

*Edit* But leave in sprint.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Don't be silly. The DMR is as close to a BR as it gets for all intents and purposes in Reach. Would rather use the BR substitute than nothing.
The Nerfle is basically the new Carbine, as well.

Good games tonight. It's sad that despite the heaping piles of credits that Firefight Limited (<3) pays out, I'm still a looong ways from General.
Plywood said:
How's about no bloom for that Classic playlist?
OMG

So THAT'S what you meant by this post. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure it out.
not really

Plywood said:
For the Classic playlist to really work it shouldn't have...

Yeah, you know.

Striker

Kind of a detailed write-up of a Classic Playlist wish thread: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=55715741&viewreplies=true&postRepeater1-p=1

Will try those settings shortly. I do hope Bungie sets up Assault and CTF and allows us to get the opportunity to vote for them often. They dropped the ball with this in Halo 3 so much they got pushed to make a CTF playlist on its own. They're already slapping BTB in the face by having so much Slayer and Headhunter, while the true objective games get neglected.

Booties

Banned
bloom sucks. if it was consistent from game to game and didn't have the whole "host has better chance of hitting when the reticule is on his target" then I'd be down with it. Other than that, it's just another mask in a flawed system that bungie failed to fix twice now. read: halo 3 sucked too

Kuroyume

Banned
Striker said:
They're already slapping BTB in the face by having so much Slayer and Headhunter, while the true objective games get neglected.

Even with better weighting of objective games it's not going to matter until someone over there sits down and actually thinks about what is in there right now. They seriously need to ask themselves if it makes any sense. I played a game of BTB the other day and got 1 flag on Boneyard. 1 flag on that map is confined to only one side of that giant map. The have a couple of warthogs, couple of ghosts, a banshee, rockets, and sniper in a tiny confined space for 12 players. It makes absolutely no sense. Instead of playing for the flag both teams spent most of the match playing slayer and then at the very end with about a minute or so to go people then tried going for the flag. With all that power crap in there it's too tempting for some Halo gamers to just play slayer blowing everything up in sight rather than playing for the objective. Tone that shit down a bit.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Fuck the AR as a starting weapon. I wish Slayer DMRs was more prominent in the Team Slayer playlist.

vhfive

Gui_PT said:
Firefight daaaaayyyyyy!

Edit: Is it true that Black Ops just got an update? (and Reach hasn't?)
I believe this is the second one for blops. The updates aren't huge (tweaking guns and perks a little) but I do love that they listen to the community and are actively trying to make it better.

GhaleonEB

One could, in theory, get all four daily Challenges in one game. Just play Score Attack on Overlook, use the shotty to kill 40 guys, and don't die. Though, I'll probably split it into three games.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
One could, in theory, get all four daily Challenges in one game. Just play Score Attack on Overlook, use the shotty to kill 40 guys, and don't die. Though, I'll probably split it into three games.

Yeah, you can do that easily.
Btw, it's Courtyard, not Overlook. B.net has it wrong.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Yeah, you can do that easily.
Btw, it's Courtyard, not Overlook. B.net has it wrong.
Heh. Without reading this, I just did a Score Attack game on Courtyard, expecting to get the no death and 20k point one, and got the other as well. 8k cR for one 10-minute game. :D

Time to break out the shotgun...

Kuroyume

Banned
Does Bungie think the game needs an update? Haven't seen a single sign that anything like that is being considered. Not that I'm on the Bungie forums but if something like that was being talked about there I'm sure I would have seen it in here. That's the frustrating thing. Yeah, they have the BWU but they rarely contain anything worth looking at that I care about. I remember thinking back around November that with all the constant bitching about AL that at the very least they would remove it from some of the playlists. I wasn't expecting a TU to change what it does but I thought playlist changes were reasonable to expect yet it never happened. Anyway, not sure what anyone here expects from a TU but if it were to happen I bet it will have the oppostite of what most people want. They would likely fix something that no one was bitching about.

Sometimes I feel that whether it be playlist related or game mechanics that Bungie doesn't have much interest in Reach anymore. Can't help but get a sense that they just want to focus on their next game already.

Kuroyume said:
Sometimes I feel that whether it be playlist related or game mechanics that Bungie doesn't have much interest in Reach anymore. Can't help but get a sense that they just want to focus on their next game already.

I've seen this said by a few people and I don't buy it. Yes, Bungie likely has a considerable amount of its resources devoted to the next big thing, but I don't feel like Reach has been neglected at all. We've received the first map pack in the same amount of time it took us to get the first one for Halo 3 and by all accounts the maps are a step above what was available prior.

In addition a pile of new forge creations are either in MM proper, in grab-bag playlists, or are in the pipeline to be added to MM. Not all of those maps have been stellar but Bungie has a team that is actively selecting forge maps that are deemed fun by the community while actively removing forge maps that are not well received. There are maps that they seem to like that I don't, but that doesn't represent a lack of effort or interest on their part.

As for AL in playlists, just because they didn't go as far as some would've liked doesn't mean they didn't take any action to fix people's frustration with it. They took it out of Arena relatively quickly and the loadout alterations they made in Elite Slayer have done a lot to make that gametype more enjoyable and less armor-lock spammy. Not to mention the fact that MLG represents an entirely new playlist without armor lock. Did they take it out of team slayer? No, but it's not as if there is nowhere to go to get away from AL.

My appreciation of Reach is greater now than it was when it launched and much of that has to do with the new maps (forge and otherwise) as well as the pruning that has gone on in MM. I look forward to a title update but I don't feel like the lack of one is killing Reach for me. I'd rather Bungie take the time to do it right while in the meantime improving the player experience with playlist updates and new maps.

Thanks for reading this far. I swear I don't cash Bungie paychecks.

Exypher

Just completed the weekly challenge by myself, fired up a second controller and ran through it (skipping as much as possible). The last room took me ages, I lured the sword elite to Jorge and then assassinated him but the other two gave me a lot of trouble.

If anyone needs help with it let me know and I'll give you a hand.

Exypher said:
Just completed the weekly challenge by myself, fired up a second controller and ran through it (skipping as much as possible). The last room took me ages, I lured the sword elite to Jorge and then assassinated him but the other two gave me a lot of trouble.

If anyone needs help with it let me know and I'll give you a hand.
What is the benefit of plugging in a second controller?

Exypher

Devin Olsen said:
What is the benefit of plugging in a second controller?

Because of the Iron skull you have to restart the level if you die when you play by yourself, in coop it reverts you to the last checkpoint instead.

Exypher said:
Because of the Iron skull you have to restart the level if you die when you play by yourself, in coop it reverts you to the last checkpoint instead.
I've heard that an immediate save/quit when you die reverts back to the last checkpoint as well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the newly reworked Truss.3 is "complete" (barring more revisions and adjustments - almost a certainty with more testing). i really tried to take any criticism, or feedback, to heart (thanks Zayne) and tried to address each issue discussed. since the last revision post i've redone the spawns to take into account the new base layout, revised the weapon placement, and added grav lifts to assist with map flow moving from the lower portion of the bridge to the upper.

i'm hoping it will make this weekends forgegaf and customs playlists again, for team slayer - ideally with 12-16 players. i'd prefer it be run with default weapon starts, no DMR starts please. i know customsgaf prefers DMR starts, but i feel that on this map especially, that eliminates a lot of the interesting gun fights that could occur. i think the default AR/pistol starts will encourage more map movement to gain the dmr/neerfle, and also encourage more use of the lower bridges which were specifically designed for close to medium combat, rather then boiling down to longer range dmr battles on top of the bridges. that, and it better represents what the map COULD be like in bungie's regular matchmaking.

download link
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13165103&player=LoopOfHenle

op_ivy said:
and it better represents what the map COULD be like in bungie's regular matchmaking.

Well, if that's what you're going for, I'll study-up on my offensive statements and practice my tea-bagging.

It's looking like I'll be free for both forgegaf customs and regulartype customs again this weekend. Maybe we can get some 8v8 rocking.

Dani said:
Don't be silly. The DMR is as close to a BR as it gets for all intents and purposes in Reach. Would rather use the BR substitute than nothing.

Haha yeah, screw AR's all of the time.

No matter what settings you use in the classic playlist though... bloom will always be there. If it wasnt for bloom I would play MLG a ton more, and to be honest im sure I will enjoy classic and MLG about the same. So bloom really is the one thing that ruins it. That and the 5 shot kill. Bloom itself wouldnt be so bad if they lowered shields to make it a 4 shot kill, BUT that would ruin sniping as bodyshots would kill.

So yeah 5 shot kill and bloom are the things that sort of potentially ruin the idea of a classic playlist. MLG itself feels classic enough for me in terms of movement and stuff already.

Kuroyume said:
Does Bungie think the game needs an update? Haven't seen a single sign that anything like that is being considered. Not that I'm on the Bungie forums but if something like that was being talked about there I'm sure I would have seen it in here. That's the frustrating thing. Yeah, they have the BWU but they rarely contain anything worth looking at that I care about. I remember thinking back around November that with all the constant bitching about AL that at the very least they would remove it from some of the playlists. I wasn't expecting a TU to change what it does but I thought playlist changes were reasonable to expect yet it never happened. Anyway, not sure what anyone here expects from a TU but if it were to happen I bet it will have the oppostite of what most people want. They would likely fix something that no one was bitching about.

To be fair, Reach is the game 'they' set out to make, technically its very sound, so I dont see what they would update. Sure theres been a ton of backlash over some design decisions, but I get the feeling that they are happy with how it turned out, and on the whole are going to stand by that.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Haha yeah, screw AR's all of the time.

No matter what settings you use in the classic playlist though... bloom will always be there. If it wasnt for bloom I would play MLG a ton more, and to be honest im sure I will enjoy classic and MLG about the same. So bloom really is the one thing that ruins it. That and the 5 shot kill. Bloom itself wouldnt be so bad if they lowered shields to make it a 4 shot kill, BUT that would ruin sniping as bodyshots would kill.

So yeah 5 shot kill and bloom are the things that sort of potentially ruin the idea of a classic playlist. MLG itself feels classic enough for me in terms of movement and stuff already.

To be fair, Reach is the game 'they' set out to make, technically its very sound, so I dont see what they would update. Sure theres been a ton of backlash over some design decisions, but I get the feeling that they are happy with how it turned out, and on the whole are going to stand by that.

You know nothing against you personally but dear god the bitching about bloom is just ridiculous. You would think it makes it so that if you aim at someone on the bottom left corner of your screen it will make you shoot at the top right corner the way some people bitch about it. I can honestly say that I've never missed a target due to bloom. My bad aiming? Sure I have. My slow sensitivity settings? Probably so. However bloom no I haven't.

I'm sure I'll get lambasted for being a noob or a scrub but I'm ok with that. If bloom not bothering me one bit makes me that then so be it.

neoism

fuck this weekly.... FUCK IT! That guy that did it in 12 mins was veeeeeerrry luck throughout the run..... kicks can.. :(

bobs99 ... said:
Someone posted it awhile back when we were debating on why Reach's population was so low, but it was said:

Treyarch made the Call of Duty game the fans wanted, Bungie made the game Bungie wanted.

neoism

PsychoRaven said:
You know nothing against you personally but dear god the bitching about bloom is just ridiculous. You would think it makes it so that if you aim at someone on the bottom left corner of your screen it will make you shoot at the top right corner the way some people bitch about it. I can honestly say that I've never missed a target due to bloom. My bad aiming? Sure I have. My slow sensitivity settings? Probably so. However bloom no I haven't.

I'm sure I'll get lambasted for being a noob or a scrub but I'm ok with that. If bloom not bothering me one bit makes me that then so be it.
I'm with you, Bloom doesn't bother me... it did a little in the beta. I'm used to it now. Bungie will never take it out, so if you don't like it sucks for you. I will agree it is a little inconsistent, but not to the point of it being a serious problem. Lag, and Host is though, and maybe they should look into it.

GhaleonEB

That's nothing new. Bungie's mantra has always been to make games they want to play. And that has served them pretty well.

(I agree, of course. Just saying that's what the've always done.)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
GhaleonEB said:
That's nothing new. Bungie's mantra has always been to make games they want to play. And that has served them pretty well.

(I agree, of course. Just saying that's what the've always done.)

Going from the #1 live played game to a distant third would disagree with that.

Striker

LAUGHTREY said:
Halo 3 was often behind COD4 and at times, WAW. The times have changed. Halo 2 was the last Halo Bungie had at the top consistently.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LAUGHTREY said:

Guess who uses Live activity charts as a measure of success? Yeah, no one.

Reach has made a bucketload of money and sold as as much or more copies than Halo 3. Sales are what counts for investors, shareholders and everyone else whose job centres around whether Reach is successful. By every definition Reach has been an extremely profitable product.

Just because there's another game with similar or higher sales and players doesn't take anything away from Reach.

Player counts seem to mirror Halo 3's population over the same time frame - I know for a fact many developers would kill for such high numbers. Again, just because another game has higher numbers doesn't take anything away from Reach at all.

I'm pretty sure Reach's DLC has done great numbers (it should, one of the best Halo DLC packs to be made) and based on previous DLC, should continue to do well for years to come.

Nobody is going to argue that Halo is the Live activity leader these days, but you'd have to be stupid to even suggest that Bungie's methods haven't served them well with Reach. Bungie are happy. Their publisher is happy. The audience is happy. Could the situation be improved? Of course. Again, room for improvement doesn't remove the level of success achieved.

PsychoRaven said:

Im not bitching because bloom is random. Im bitching because bloom is just simply not fun. It slows things down a hell of a lot when accounting for it and makes things too spammy when in close range.

The feeling I get from simply cutting people apart with surgical precision in older Halo and CoD is just not present on Reach. MLG has good movement, and its fun flanking around and getting into good positions, but then the gunplay kicks in and its just drab.

Dani said:
Guess who uses Live activity charts as a measure of success? Yeah, no one.

Reach has made a bucketload of money and sold as as much or more copies than Halo 3. Sales are what counts for investors, shareholders and everyone else whose job centres around whether Reach is successful. By every definition Reach has been an extremely profitable product.

Just because there's another game with similar or higher sales and players doesn't take anything away from Reach.

Player counts seem to mirror Halo 3's population over the same time frame - I know for a fact many developers would kill for such high numbers. Again, just because another game has higher numbers doesn't take anything away from Reach at all.

I'm pretty sure Reach's DLC has done great numbers (it should, one of the best Halo DLC packs to be made) and based on previous DLC, should continue to do well for years to come.

Nobody is going to argue that Halo is the Live activity leader these days, but you'd have to be stupid to even suggest that Bungie's methods haven't served them well with Reach. Bungie are happy. Their publisher is happy. The audience is happy. Could the situation be improved? Of course. Again, room for improvement doesn't remove the level of success achieved.

Fortunatly we are gamers and not stockholders. :) To be fair the populations do matter to us as it impacts our experience in terms of matchmaking. So while a shareholder has made his cash, as a gamer I cant really say Reach is as successful as it should have been.

Quite frankly, Halo 3 managed to claw its way back to the top spot against not only 1 CoD game, but also its 2 sequals. The difference in population between Black Opsand Reach's last time I switched disks was literally astronomical. I can only argue that a lot of the more hardcore Halo fans just arent as into it anymore. I still play more Halo 3, than I play Reach.

Major Williams said:
Someone posted it awhile back when we were debating on why Reach's population was so low, but it was said:

Treyarch made the Call of Duty game the fans wanted, Bungie made the game Bungie wanted.

I think the better way to phrase it would be "Treyarch made the more accessible game that market research showed would grab the attention of the masses for 12 months (time between it and the next CoD game) and Bungie made the game that they thought would play well for years to come". Treyarch and their marketing campaign were 99.9% successful and Bungie was 80-90% successful.

Maybe we don't want Bungie making the game that 5,000,000 people play every day. Maybe we want them making a game that savvy players play and enjoy for the gameplay rather than to mindlessly level/rank/whatever up while jumping in-and-out of games that have no value in-and-of themselves. Stating that you don't like Reach because of design decisions is fine, but arguing that Bungie should be more like Treyarch is insane.

In 5 years how likely is it that people are going to look back and say "man Black Ops was a great game" rather than just say "was that the one set in 'Nam?"

I'm glad McDonald's and Burger King are satisfying so many customers, but I don't like their food so I'm not going to beg my favorite restaurant to start spitting out Big Macs.

/lamefoodanalogy I'm sorry. I haven't had dinner yet so I'm cranky and hungry.

MrBig

Bregmann Roche said:
I think the better way to phrase it would be "Treyarch made the more accessible game that market research showed would grab the attention of the masses for 12 months (time between it and the next CoD game) and Bungie made the game that they thought would play well for years to come". Treyarch and their marketing campaign were 99.9% successful and Bungie was 80-90% successful.

Maybe we don't want Bungie making the game that 5,000,000 people play every day. Maybe we want them making a game that savvy players play and enjoy for the gameplay rather than to mindlessly level/rank/whatever up while jumping in-and-out of games that have no value in-and-of themselves. Stating that you don't like Reach because of design decisions is fine, but arguing that Bungie should be more like Treyarch is insane.

In 5 years how likely is it that people are going to look back and say "man Black Ops was a great game" rather than just say "was that the one set in 'Nam?"

I'm glad McDonald's and Burger King are satisfying so many customers, but I don't like their food so I'm not going to beg my favorite restaurant to start spitting out Big Macs.

/lamefoodanalogy I'm sorry. I haven't had dinner yet so I'm cranky and hungry.
rochemoaburg.jpg

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
Quite frankly, Halo 3 managed to claw its way back to the top spot against not only 1 CoD game, but also its 2 sequals. The difference in population between Black Opsand Reach's last time I switched disks was literally astronomical. I can only argue that a lot of the more hardcore Halo fans just arent as into it anymore. I still play more Halo 3, than I play Reach.
Since you love the Activity charts so much and just simply ignore how comparable Halo 3 and Reach are in sales and unique users, I'll just play along.

Halo 3 was consistently beaten by MW, MW2, and at times, WAW. Three different user bases. You need to stop acting like Reach's formula turned people off so much people have went to different games. It's wrong. This has been going on way before Reach was announced.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Im not bitching because bloom is random. Im bitching because bloom is just simply not fun. It slows things down a hell of a lot when accounting for it and makes things too spammy when in close range.

The feeling I get from simply cutting people apart with surgical precision in older Halo and CoD is just not present on Reach. MLG has good movement, and its fun flanking around and getting into good positions, but then the gunplay kicks in and its just drab.

*Insert big blinking eyes here*

Um ok. Obviously we aren't going to change each others minds. That's ok too. I don't see how it really slows it down but oh well that's just me I guess. Who knew a fraction of a second slows it down a hell of a lot. Also when hasn't Halo felt spammy up close? That's how it's always played. It's called Spray and Pray. Ironically it's how I get a lot of my kills and always have. lol

AR FOR LIFE YO!!!

lol

Striker said:
Since you love the Activity charts so much and just simply ignore how comparable Halo 3 and Reach are in sales and unique users, I'll just play along.

Halo 3 was consistently beaten by MW, MW2, and at times, WAW. Three different user bases. You need to stop acting like Reach's formula turned people off so much people have went to different games. It's wrong. This has been going on way before Reach was announced.

No my point was that Halo 3 clawed back its fanbase and managed to get back to the top of the table despite some pretty big hitting games. Sales and Unique users doesnt mean much to me, im not making money from the sales, and so quite frankly im more interested in the active population. Halo is pretty well known, just the name is going to garuntee high sales figures. The fact that more people own xbox's now means they are going to buy the big exlusives. No matter how Reach turned out, initial sales where always going to be high. Put it this way, The Matrix sequels rode the success of the originals popularity for good ticket sales, but once the audiance had actually seen them, they actually wernt regarded to be as brilliant.

The game with the higher active population (and thus higher leaderboard spot) is going to have the better matchmaking.

Ultimatly I dont have all the facts and figures, so im not arguing anything. Personally I hope 343 goes back to the formulae I prefer.

I agree fully with this BUT I do personally think the reason Reach's formulae was changed so much was to drag away from the CoDs series success. Im not saying Reach plays like CoD, but I think the guys at Bungie felt that it was time to shake things up simply because there was another big competitor out there already stealing the thunder. So yeah I think Bungie did actually go out to make a more accessible game, but kind of lost elements of Halo in the process.

Just so its clear - this is just my personal opinion. The stuff I say about bloom or whatever is simply how I feel when I play Reach. I know others love the changes Reach brought about. Its all just opinions at the end of the day.

PsychoRaven said:
*Insert big blinking eyes here*

Um ok. Obviously we aren't going to change each others minds. That's ok too. I don't see how it really slows it down but oh well that's just me I guess. Who knew a fraction of a second slows it down a hell of a lot. Also when hasn't Halo felt spammy up close? That's how it's always played. It's called Spray and Pray. Ironically it's how I get a lot of my kills and always have. lol

AR FOR LIFE YO!!!

lol

lol :p

I would argue that older Halo catered a little better for both crowds. The AR guys had fun with the combat they enjoyed and the precision guys got to do the whole precision thing. It seems like the kind of precision combat I loved so much has been very much disregarded by the existance of bloom. You might not have enjoyed it, but there was something special about BR battles and Pistol 3 shots.

Adding that extra shot to kill itself changes the balance of things, and sort of stops people from doing the 1 man rambo thing. Adding bloom to that (and things like Sprint) just slows the combat to the level where its less about instinct and quick decisions and more about... well after about 3 shots if your opponent hasnt run off or armour locked... hes an idiot!

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Just so its clear - this is just my personal opinion. The stuff I say about bloom or whatever is simply how I feel when I play Reach. I know others love the changes Reach brought about. Its all just opinions at the end of the day.

Oh it's all good man. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

GhaleonEB

LAUGHTREY said:
I'm thinking more along the lines of Bungie's overall history, from inception to the present. Not being #1 isn't really a knock; Bungie has been hugely successful. Now, the Halo series has been flat in terms of unit sales since Halo 2, so there's something to the notion that Bungie hasn't expanded the series from their audience from then. But it's a big freaking audience.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
lol :p

I would argue that older Halo catered a little better for both crowds. The AR guys had fun with the combat they enjoyed and the precision guys got to do the whole precision thing. It seems like the kind of precision combat I loved so much has been very much disregarded by the existance of bloom. You might not have enjoyed it, but there was something special about BR battles and Pistol 3 shots.

Adding that extra shot to kill itself changes the balance of things, and sort of stops people from doing the 1 man rambo thing. Adding bloom to that (and things like Sprint) just slows the combat to the level where its less about instinct and quick decisions and more about... well after about 3 shots if your opponent hasnt run off or armour locked... hes an idiot!

See I think more then anything it's armor abilites that has hurt the game. I bet that if there weren't armor abilites the bloom wouldn't feel so bad to those it bothers. Without the many escapes the different AA's give you people wouldn't be able to run away and recharge all the time. That's where the game gets slowed down.

PsychoRaven said:
See I think more then anything it's armor abilites that has hurt the game. I bet that if there weren't armor abilites the bloom wouldn't feel so bad.

Agreed (to an extent).

Bloom does take away from that feeling of an awesome quick surgical 4 shot so im not sure if the removal of armour abilities would make me prefer the actual gunplay in Reach, it would still feel meh to me. But armour abilities do sort of exaggerate the slow kill times.

The thing is, there are so many factors at play when it comes to balance, that dissecting and pinpointing what feels off (for me) can be difficult.

GhaleonEB

So a while back I mentioned a strange, amusing glitch my daughter and I ran into when doing ONI on Legendary. The film was glitched and would only record from the first person, making it harder to tell what happened. Nokyard was kind enough to capture it properly and send it my way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-sWrPfUJs

No idea if it's been seen before, but we found it hilarious. Thanks, Nok. My daughter will be is delighted to see it saved.

Top Bottom