• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB said:
So a while back I mentioned a strange, amusing glitch my daughter and I ran into when doing ONI on Legendary. The film was glitched and would only record from the first person, making it harder to tell what happened. Nokyard was kind enough to capture it properly and send it my way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-sWrPfUJs

No idea if it's been seen before, but we found it hilarious. Thanks, Nok. My daughter will be is delighted to see it saved.
Lolwut, that's pretty weird. Probably has something to do with loading zones going crazy, funny. Thanks for sharing.

GhaleonEB said:
So a while back I mentioned a strange, amusing glitch my daughter and I ran into when doing ONI on Legendary. The film was glitched and would only record from the first person, making it harder to tell what happened. Nokyard was kind enough to capture it properly and send it my way.

No idea if it's been seen before, but we found it hilarious. Thanks, Nok. My daughter will be is delighted to see it saved.
Lol, she got back on where the gauss gun was. I like how you two are just staring at it for a long time, then you try to get on it, then it glitches everywhere.

I could just imagine what you guys were talking about.

Exypher

I've actually had the same thing happen to me once playing 4 player coop over Live. I was just about to shoot a Revenant and then i suddenly got transported to that same spot and ended up shooting a teammate instead, who booted me from the game. Wish i saved the video, it was pretty funny.

feel

GhaleonEB said:

hehe nice

GhaleonEB said:
But it's a big freaking audience.

I would also argue that the Halo audience is more valuable from a marketing perspective as well. How much CoD related merchandise will the average player buy? How much Halo stuff does the average Halo player buy?

Sadly for Bungie, with the exception of a few map packs, the Halo audience is no longer "theirs". They now have to build a new audience for their stuff. I hope they rock my socks off.

Edited for this point: Microsoft doesn't want the Halo franchise to do CoD numbers. They want the franchise to do cross-media/cross-Dorito bag Star Wars numbers.

P.S. Shout out to MrBig for the sweet alternate avatar. I am no longer cranky and hungry, having feasted upon the glorious .jpg he hath granted.

Ghaleon... wow! Haha, that certainly was all kinds of crazy. Trying to go beyond that point wared you back every time you went there which was weird indeed.

All of my plans for the weekend are being steadily cancelled by those the plans were made with. This results in a strong possibility of me playing a lot of customs on saturday night.

May as well hop on this talk of Bungie's tactics. Sure Blops has had 2 updates by now, but are we seriously suggesting that Reach has not had any? To make that clearer, are you saying that the Reach we were given months ago is the same experience now? Look at all the changes that have been implemented across the board so far on Reach. Bungie were right to talk up the fact that, if wanted, changes could be made in-game and on the fly in a far easier manner than was achieved in previous Halo titles.
Reach is a far better experience now than in the opening few weeks of its release. I enjoy it a lot more and it is, for the most part, a game that deserves the praise it is given. The flaws at this stage are less glaring and, in my experience, are less impactful on my overall opinion of the game. Playing WC with Mr Big yesterday revealed that sometimes Bungie don't think you deserved that checkpoint you were sure you deserved by then. It was annoying, but not to the extent where I like the game less. Such is my opinion with bloom... to a certain extent. I like bloom. It causes frustrating moments on some occasions but never has there been a time when I thought that the situation would have worked in my favour had there not been bloom.

That's enough talk out of me for now for sure.

Schmitty

Does the place that Reach sits on the Live activity chart really bother you guys that you can't enjoy the game? Stop taking things too seriously.

NOKYARD

MrBig said:
This guy was very fucking lucky.
Not luck.

RC Master is one of our top runners (and contributing writers) from the last 3 games. Holds several SLASO, High Score and Legendary records including an upcoming 11:59 SLASO of Tip of The Spear. His Vidmaster: Classic on Coastal Highway (Legendary, no shots fired or horns honked) is a thing of beauty. Go watch that and say it was luck.

MrBig

NOKYARD said:
Not luck.

RC Master is one of our top runners (and contributing writers) from the last 3 games. Holds several SLASO, High Score and Legendary records including an upcoming 11:59 SLASO of Tip of The Spear. His Vidmaster: Classic on Coastal Highway (Legendary, no shots fired or horns honked) is a thing of beauty. Go watch that and say it was luck.
As godly as that is, it's not what I mean. I had to re-do the Spirit/falcon glitch at least 20 times because It would either kill me or the phantom would go through the mountain. That took at least 30 minutes. Then the falcon glitched and wouldn't let me exit so I had to do the courtyard again, which takes a while

Roche

Schmitty said:
Does the place that Reach sits on the Live activity chart really bother you guys that you can't enjoy the game? Stop taking things too seriously.

Kind of yeah, it gives a good indication of what people on my friends list will be playing and if they're not playing Reach, I've got nobody to play with which impacts my enjoyment of the game quite seriously.

neoism

Bregmann Roche said:
I would also argue that the Halo audience is more valuable from a marketing perspective as well. How much CoD related merchandise will the average player buy? How much Halo stuff does the average Halo player buy?

Sadly for Bungie, with the exception of a few map packs, the Halo audience is no longer "theirs". They now have to build a new audience for their stuff. I hope they rock my socks off.

Edited for this point: Microsoft doesn't want the Halo franchise to do CoD numbers. They want the franchise to do cross-media/cross-Dorito bag Star Wars numbers.

P.S. Shout out to MrBig for the sweet alternate avatar. I am no longer cranky and hungry, having feasted upon the glorious .jpg he hath granted.
Good point I wonder how much its made M$ to date... All the merch not just game sells.

neoism

NOKYARD said:
Not luck.

I did what he did, but my game wasn't going so great. I got to the Falcon to the other part of the level... got out to get the CP, and got in the Falcon again, but it wouldn't let me go high in the air at all... :/ I got newb comboed a shit load after that. My falcon got flipped, and it wouldn't let me back in. :| I had like 3 ultra Elites left... no fucking way I was going to kill them. I died saved and quit.... Got the best checkpoint ever.... right in front of about 6 fucking grunts. :/ FUCK THE BLIND SKULL.... So yes definitely a good Mythic runner, but he definitely had a little luck on his side. I will probably try again tomorrow coop...
On a side note I finally beat it on Legendary a few days ago. POA wasn't hard at all.... lol I just hid like a boss at the end and fired that big gun right at the last minute.... I was sooo not looking forward to that part, but it wasn't hard at all. Also the credits were fucking AWESOME.
Yeah that vid was awesome ODST <3 <3 I liked the campaign more than H3s.

Schmitty

Roche178 said:
Kind of yeah, it gives a good indication of what people on my friends list will be playing and if they're not playing Reach, I've got nobody to play with which impacts my enjoyment of the game quite seriously.
See, I used to rely on random people met online to play with back in the day of Halo 2, but now almost all of my friends own an Xbox. When we get on we make a party and decide what to play, so always have people to play Halo with which is great.

Ramirez

Dani said:
Nobody is going to argue that Halo is the Live activity leader these days, but you'd have to be stupid to even suggest that Bungie's methods haven't served them well with Reach. Bungie are happy. Their publisher is happy. The audience is happy. Could the situation be improved? Of course. Again, room for improvement doesn't remove the level of success achieved.

*checks active roster*

tumbleweed.jpg

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ramirez said:
*checks active roster*

tumbleweed.jpg

Didn't Reach sell as much as 3? Isn't that a bad thing that it doesn't have growth?

If their audience was happy, wouldn't they show it by playing it? And of course they're going to say their happy with Reach, they still say they're happy with how Halo 2 went.

Thanks teammates, thanks for picking rocketfight when you know I wanted Firefight to use the shotgun, but most importantly thanks all 3 of you for leaving right in the beginning...not only did you make me play a game I didn't want to but you didn't actually want to play it yourself. Fuck You.

xxjuicesxx said:
Thanks teammates, thanks for picking rocketfight when you know I wanted Firefight to use the shotgun, but most importantly thanks all 3 of you for leaving right in the beginning...not only did you make me play a game I didn't want to but you didn't actually want to play it yourself. Fuck You.

Play with some friends? Even if none of your friends are playing Reach, I'm sure there's at least one or two gaffers on most of the time that would be willing to play with you.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Play with some friends? Even if none of your friends are playing Reach, I'm sure there's at least one or two gaffers on most of the time that would be willing to play with you.

Nope no Gaffers on my list, well Devin's trying for the weekly I can see but no one else, and I have a pretty good portion of GAF on my friends list. Sucks I can only go into MM alone sometimes and it seems every random is a griefer just trying to piss you off on purpose... what the fuck is wrong with people?

OMG THE AI IS SO FUCKING TERRIBLE! KILL THE ELITES, USE YOUR FUCKING WEAPONS! AND WEEKLY FUCKIN DONE, SUCK IT TERRIBLE AI!

and oh gosh at 2 3000 credit challenges.

Losing to a team in MLG cause a shitty red bar, getting matched up with them next game in green bar and winning = Justice.

GhaleonEB said:

Double the effectiveness!

ShinAmano

Louis Wu said:
Probably because of the limited lives?
No...the enemies seem tougher. I usually can make it through a game of FF with max of 1 or 2 deaths...did not seem to be that way in limited...could have been I was playing with crappy players and had to do all the work myself...but it felt like I lost shields and health much faster.

I have to say that going in with randoms makes for a terrible FF Limited experience for me. In the few games I've played, I hear the "5 lives left" within the first couple of minutes of the game, while I have yet to come close to death. These idiots play it like the regular, unlimited lives version, and it just makes for a really fast, low-scoring game. If anyone wants to play some FF Limited this weekend and un-sour me to this experience, hit me up.

ShinAmano

squidhands said:
I have to say that going in with randoms makes for a terrible FF Limited experience for me. In the few games I've played, I hear the "5 lives left" within the first couple of minutes of the game, while I have yet to come close to death. These idiots play it like the regular, unlimited lives version, and it just makes for a really fast, low-scoring game. If anyone wants to play some FF Limited this weekend and un-sour me to this experience, hit me up.
Add me...I am always looking for Halo regulars...plus the Wife is out this weekend...no 'to do' items and a ton of alcohol.

LAUGHTREY said:
Didn't Reach sell as much as 3? Isn't that a bad thing that it doesn't have growth?

Reach's sales to this point are similar to Halo 3's, we'll see how the numbers stack in terms of longevity, and internationally at some point in the future I'm sure.

If their audience was happy, wouldn't they show it by playing it? And of course they're going to say their happy with Reach, they still say they're happy with how Halo 2 went.

Their Audience IS playing it. There's a tendency on Gaf to assume that we represent the bulk of Halo opinion, and the fact is, we are a really tiny Niche within the community. The overall population of Reach is Higher than H3 at this point in it's lifespan. So if the Reach has a similar number of possible players, but more are actively playing it, that becomes a positive assessment of the games popularity.

Also, just for the record, a lot of my friends who quit Halo 3 for COD4/MW2 have come back to Reach, so I've seen kind of the opposite effect of a lot of GAF, but no single persons friend list is a good barometer of the success of a game.

LosDaddie

Banned
I liked the Challenges yesterday. But dammit, they probably took me twice the time it should have. I died on the last wave (lucky grenade stick) on a Gruntpacalypse game, costing me the no-death challenge. Then I got 19,800 on a Sniper Attack game, costing me the 20k challenge. :lol

I eventually got all the Challenges done though. And I ranked up to Commander G3....but I can't buy the gold visor until I hit Colonel. :(

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Aye. I've been beating that drum as methodically as I can. This is what I posted on the b.net thread about it:

I agree with you entirely that a shared pool of lives changes the dynamic of the game for the better. But the flip side is, it also makes the game very easy to grief and/or be spoiled by one bad player. When playing with friends (as in the ODST or customs context), that's not an issue, and it builds team cohesion. In matchmaking, though, I think it has a big enough impact that the setting should be changed.

In Multiplayer, a team of three can overcome one poor player. But in Firefight, that poor player can drain the lives of everyone else. I'll again reference the game I had earlier today, where I died once (actually I think it was twice, but the game record shows once), and the other player 14 times. I was punished because he sucked.

Even if the other two players were good and stuck around, that one bad nut would have hurt the game for all of us. And there's nothing we could do about it.

In the regular Firefight game types, friendly fire is turned off. That was done as a concession to the matchmaking environment: players were abusing the system to trigger the boot player option as method to grief other players. The effect is people can be much more indiscriminate in their play, which somewhat cheapens the combat. But it's a necessity give how the population plays.

Similarly, breaking up the lives into individual pools for each player to manage would damage team cohesion. But it would also thwart griefers or poor players from damaging the experience for others. I've only had two days of playing in the playlist, of course. But so far, the majority of games were spoiled by one or two players each time. It doesn't matter how good I am, or how hard I work to protect my team, that one dude spoils the game.

I think the lives setting should be adjusted due to the simple reality of the matchmaking population, similar to how friendly fire was turned off. Because the effect is the same: players are killing me by taking my spare lives away. The only difference is I can't boot them for it.​

My games are typically like this or this.

It's annoying, but knowing it's 1) a temporary playlist, and 2) taking on a full wave solo is fun mean I don't mind so much. But when/if the playlist returns full time, I really hope we get our own pool of lives. In an ideal world the pooled lives would work, but the matchmaking population do not make an ideal world.

Nice Challenges today. A game or two of Multi Team should do it.

electricpirate said:
Reach's sales to this point are similar to Halo 3's, we'll see how the numbers stack in terms of longevity, and internationally at some point in the future I'm sure.

Their Audience IS playing it. There's a tendency on Gaf to assume that we represent the bulk of Halo opinion, and the fact is, we are a really tiny Niche within the community. The overall population of Reach is Higher than H3 at this point in it's lifespan. So if the Reach has a similar number of possible players, but more are actively playing it, that becomes a positive assessment of the games popularity.

Also, just for the record, a lot of my friends who quit Halo 3 for COD4/MW2 have come back to Reach, so I've seen kind of the opposite effect of a lot of GAF, but no single persons friend list is a good barometer of the success of a game.

How do you know this? Bungie said something about this the first week, but unless someone kept a chart of average activity every day for Halo 3 in 2007-2008 I don't know how this can be said with certainty.

Wow....

The weekly challenge just about cost me a TV and a Controller.

2 1/2 hours later, I got it.

The last room was the hardest for us to get through... We had no problem pulling the sword guy out and assassinating him, but the two concussion rifle elites would just stay hidden in the room.

That game gave me enough creds to get to Commander Grade 3 though!

Exypher

Devin Olsen said:
Wow....

The weekly challenge just about cost me a TV and a Controller.

2 1/2 hours later, I got it.

The last room was the hardest for us to get through... We had no problem pulling the sword guy out and assassinating him, but the two concussion rifle elites would just stay hidden in the room.

That game gave me enough creds to get to Commander Grade 3 though!

Yeah I had the same problem, the concussion rifle elites are brutal. I ended up doing it in 74 minutes, so I guess it could've been a lot worse... but considering I skipped most of the battles at the start I don't even want to think about how long it took me to clear that final room.

Narpas Sword0 said:
How do you know this? Bungie said something about this the first week, but unless someone kept a chart of average activity every day for Halo 3 in 2007-2008 I don't know how this can be said with certainty.

One part was my memory, of seeing 400-500k UU's on halo 3 at this point, but i freely admit that might be wrong. Another was urk mentioning at around a month and a half into the games release about the attrition rate being slower than h3, with a higher starting population.

Also, the fact that Reach's playerbase jumped back up to near launch levels post Christmas, and is just finally getting back to normal levels.

So that's true, I can't be positive of this, my memory, or the b.net front page numbers that I am using could be off (Like the halo 3 in game numbers, which Urk Confirmed were off), but I'm relatively sure (like 95%) that they are up in Reach, and I'm 100% positive that there hasn't been the catastrophic fall off in players that some in this thread posit.

xxjuicesxx said:
Nope no Gaffers on my list, well Devin's trying for the weekly I can see but no one else, and I have a pretty good portion of GAF on my friends list. Sucks I can only go into MM alone sometimes and it seems every random is a griefer just trying to piss you off on purpose... what the fuck is wrong with people?

OMG THE AI IS SO FUCKING TERRIBLE! KILL THE ELITES, USE YOUR FUCKING WEAPONS! AND WEEKLY FUCKIN DONE, SUCK IT TERRIBLE AI!

and oh gosh at 2 3000 credit challenges.

Losing to a team in MLG cause a shitty red bar, getting matched up with them next game in green bar and winning = Justice.

Some of us have to work during the day you punk! ;) Sweet candy at the challenges! Too bad some of my Halo time will go to Borderlands to help my buddy that just bought that game but he lives in Korea so we have limited time to play together anyway.

Exypher said:
Yeah I had the same problem, the concussion rifle elites are brutal. I ended up doing it in 74 minutes, so I guess it could've been a lot worse... but considering I skipped most of the battles at the start I don't even want to think about how long it took me to clear that final room.

Damn, that's rough.

I first tried to do the Weekly with a second controller, but it just proved needlessly confusing managing two players at once. I made it up to the final room, but the third and final Zealot (one extra because it's co-op I'm assuming) kicked me in the fucking face and that was that.

The second time I tried it solo and it seemed much easier. This time, when I made it to the final room I suffered my only death from a stray needle of all things. After saving and quitting, I was able to clear the final room in 4 minutes, and ended up killing the second Zealot at the terminal console with the sword from his buddy. The entire run took me 29 minutes; maybe I got lucky.

Considering Winter Contingency is by far the easiest mission for a LASO run, I would hope that future challenges for the subsequent missions (I can't even imagine what the Corvette hangar encounter in LNoS must be like...) will have higher credit payouts. Otherwise I can't see myself suffering through them.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Bungie/Microsoft, you want my money? GIVE ME AN ARTBOOK!
At PAX, Marcus Lehto said we'd get an art of Halo book from Bungie covering all of their games.

I have the original Art of Halo book (done between Halo 1 and Halo 2), the Halo 3 one (which is apparently rare now?) and the Legendary Guide for Reach, which has an 80-page section of Reach concept art. And I would pay mad monies for a big volume covering the entire series.

Mad monies.
urk said:
Marcus was speaking from the heart. I'm not aware of any official plans for an art book (though that doesn't mean there aren't any). It would definitely be awesome.

There is a pretty significant hit of Reach concept art in the back of the strategy guide for anyone looking for more.
MAD MONIES

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Marcus was speaking from the heart. I'm not aware of any official plans for an art book (though that doesn't mean there aren't any). It would definitely be awesome.

There is a pretty significant hit of Reach concept art in the back of the strategy guide for anyone looking for more.

ElRenoRaven

urk said:

Well get on it damn it. I'd kill for a book of Bungie concept art covering every game you guys have made. Just find anything you can and throw it in. It'd be cool to see concept art from all of Bungie's past games. What was saved anyway.

ShinAmano said:
Add me...I am always looking for Halo regulars...plus the Wife is out this weekend...no 'to do' items and a ton of alcohol.
Can't access xbox.com from work, but I'll add you when I get home.

GhaleonEB said:
My games are typically like this or this.

It's annoying, but knowing it's 1) a temporary playlist, and 2) taking on a full wave solo is fun mean I don't mind so much. But when/if the playlist returns full time, I really hope we get our own pool of lives. In an ideal world the pooled lives would work, but the matchmaking population do not make an ideal world.
In my three games of it, the longest was a whopping 9 minutes. My last game, I watched as the Last Moron Standing spent the rest of his time hiding like a bitch. As it stands, I won't be playing it again unless I can do it with people that I know (hint, hint).

And by the way, if anyone isn't reading A Fistful of Arrows over at HBO, go do it now. It's amazing that Leviathan's managed to give more substance and soul into his version of the Superintendent than Bungie did in the entirety of ODST. Great stuff.

edit: cool, I'll be home in about 3 hours.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Can't access xbox.com from work, but I'll add you when I get home.

In my three games of it, the longest was a whopping 9 minutes. My last game, I watched as the Last Moron Standing spent the rest of his time hiding like a bitch. As it stands, I won't be playing it again unless I can do it with people that I know (hint, hint).
I'm working from home today, and am free as of 90 minutes from now.

Edit: got all three MP Challenges in one game of Multi Team. Felt good. I'll do the Grunt one tonight in Firefight Limited.

Top Bottom