• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

zumphry

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Holy crap!!

The blog of awesomeness has updated with Covenant concept art.

Isaac Hannaford's concept art blog

I'd kill for a wallpaper of the first picture without the property of crap. Hell that's even frame worthy. That's just that damn awesome.

*Edited to clarify what I meant.*

Nice. That would be awesome to have a print of.

Related: I don't know if someone else (Dani?) posted this link(NSFW...?), but I found it by lurking HBO's forums (it's also in Mr. Hannaford's links), but here's some more Reach concept art. It has some ODST (and 3) work on there if you don't want to scroll past the first page sketches at work.

urk said:
Marcus was speaking from the heart. I'm not aware of any official plans for an art book (though that doesn't mean there aren't any). It would definitely be awesome.

There is a pretty significant hit of Reach concept art in the back of the strategy guide for anyone looking for more.
GhaleonEB said:
MAD MONIES

FourDoor

PsychoRaven said:
Holy crap!!

The blog of awesomeness has updated with Covenant concept art.

Isaac Hannaford's concept art blog

I'd kill for a wallpaper of the first picture without the property of crap. Hell that's even frame worthy. That's just that damn awesome.

*Edited to clarify what I meant.*

That is some nice looking artwork! If there was an ODST one, I would get one printed to display.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
electricpirate said:
Reach's sales to this point are similar to Halo 3's, we'll see how the numbers stack in terms of longevity, and internationally at some point in the future I'm sure.

Their Audience IS playing it. There's a tendency on Gaf to assume that we represent the bulk of Halo opinion, and the fact is, we are a really tiny Niche within the community. The overall population of Reach is Higher than H3 at this point in it's lifespan. So if the Reach has a similar number of possible players, but more are actively playing it, that becomes a positive assessment of the games popularity.

Also, just for the record, a lot of my friends who quit Halo 3 for COD4/MW2 have come back to Reach, so I've seen kind of the opposite effect of a lot of GAF, but no single persons friend list is a good barometer of the success of a game.
Wasn't there a graph that showed even Halo 3 NOW is still being played more than Reach? I saw it last around the time Blops came out.

It doesn't matter, we'll see how long the attitude that they know what we want lasts while cod continues to blow them out of the water.

There is just no way Reach is being played as much as H3 was...sure everyone BOUGHT it, I remember the day it launched my entire list was playing Reach, but nobody is anymore. This morning it had 27k people on it each playlist had like 500 people in it.

zumphry

Banned
Update's up.

MarcusChief.jpg

Think I'll try to make a entry for this week's Bungie All-Stars. I know I won't win, but it'll be nice practice

ElRenoRaven

Yup just got done reading what little actual content there was to it. I still maintain I look forward to it every week but man it's hurting with no real content available to put in it right now. That's understandable too mind you. New updates, map packs, game reveals, etc can't come soon enough because then they'll actually have something to talk about.

Dax01 said:

Yup. That one made me laugh. I loved the power rangers when I was a kid. Green Ranger and Dragon Zord were just wicked. lol

Gui_PT

Aside from that scant bit of info, Jeremiah also hinted at a sizable update for February and another in March

Now do they mean update playlists with gametypes and whatnot, or do they mean fix stuff like armor lock?

Kuroyume

Banned
That is super top secret information. Can't reveal it now otherwise other developers will steal Bungie's ideas and use it in their Halo games.

edit: Damn you

MrBig

Urk, you sure about those card dimensions? 1500x3500 itself is long and thin, and then 3500x1500 seems way too long for a card ratio. This should also be in 300 dpi, no?

For the first time in months, I decided to play some multiplayer in Halo Reach (thank you free Gold weekend!). After a scant 30 minutes, I remembered why I quit playing this game in the first place.

So I put in the disc and am instantly bombarded with advertisements for their latest map pack. Something like $10 for three maps, effectively one-upping Activision in price-gauging consumers. I skip the ad and go into matchmaking, where again I'm told to buy the map pack. Jesus Christ, stop shoving this down my throat.

Finally, I'm able to start matchmaking. I select Team Slayer since I just want to mess around a bit, and I figure it would have the highest server population and fastest matchmaking. Boy, was I wrong. I'm sitting in matchmaking for literally about 30 seconds before it even finds a second player. It may not seem like a long time, but 30 seconds is an eternity when searching for games. After about a minute, the lobby is FINALLY fully populated. The players choose some bullshit gametype like Slayer DMRs or Slayer Pro (they all blend together for me, I have no idea what the difference is). After another 15 second countdown, I'm finally in the game.

BUT WAIT! I'm instantly greeted to a black screen with a list of players and the words "starting match" flashing. I give Bungie the benefit of the doubt and assume that it'll start shortly. After about a full minute or two of just sitting there, the game inexplicably ends and I'm sent to a post game lobby. What. The. Fuck.

I decide to give the game one more short. So far I've spent about 10 minutes dicking around without actually being able to join a match. After another god-awful wait time, the game matches me with a full lobby. Aside from me, everyone votes for a second round of voting. The 15 second timer ends, and a THIRD round of voting begins. After another 15 seconds, three people have already left the lobby, and since Bungie refuses to insert drop-in drop-out matchmaking in Halo, the game decides to put me on a team by myself versus four others. "Fuck this shit," I say, and dashboard.

Repeat one more time, only this time I'm able to start the match. Immediately I realize that the entire team is using armor lock, so I respond accordingly. After a few minutes, two enemies quit, followed quickly by a third. So now it's 1 versus 4 again, and now I have to wait out this match or risk being banned. Brilliant, Bungie. In order to find some semblance of fun I teabag and melee the dead enemy's body every chance I get, even when I didn't kill him.

What a giant waste of time. I spent about 30 minutes and only got to play one boring match. Take some lessons from COD, Bungie, and create a matchmaking system that operates faster than an hourglass.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MrBig said:
Urk, you sure about those card dimensions? 1500x3500 itself is long and thin, and then 3500x1500 seems way too long for a card ratio. This should also be in 300 dpi, no?

Either way works, depending on the format. One would fold top down, the other left over right. DPI doesn't matter as long as the resolution is there.

MrBig

urk said:
Either way works, depending on the format. One would fold top down, the other left over right. DPI doesn't matter as long as the resolution is there.
Ah, thought we were just doing a front. I see the back examples now

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Domino Theory said:
Why do you always mute the other team? Just set your voice setting to Team and Party.

So if I want to unmute them or 1 specific person after the game I can just do that real quick.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just spent two straight hours with a friend cursing and cursing on the last part of Winter Contingency for the challenge. Overjoyed as we were when we finally finished it, everything came crashing down very soon when we were awarded a whopping 500 credits.

Two of the optional skulls weren't on (blind and cowbell) because well they're listed as optional. Mean move Bungie!

LAUGHTREY said:
Wasn't there a graph that showed even Halo 3 NOW is still being played more than Reach? I saw it last around the time Blops came out.

It doesn't matter, we'll see how long the attitude that they know what we want lasts while cod continues to blow them out of the water.
http://metahalo.com/population/

That one? check the scales, reach has 750,000-1,000,000 day, while h3 has 125,000- 150,000

GhaleonEB

Barrow Roll said:
Soooo... Anyone wanna help me with dat weekly?
My daughter and I are going to do a Weekly run in a while. If anyone wants to join just let me know.
Hey You said:
Are we losing you urk?

A Job Posting on BNet for Community Content Writer sounds like what urk does currently.
I work in finance and don't know that much about managing web content. But that's sort of a dream job for me.

GhaleonEB said:
My daughter and I are going to do a Weekly run in about 20 minutes or so. If anyone wants to join just let me know.
Hotness. GT is Barrow Roll. Send me a msg or friend request when you're ready to roll.

MrBig said:
I can if no one else wants to. I've already done it though. Also not untill after I watch 30 rock
The more the merrier. Or maybe not since it could get ridiculously difficult.

GhaleonEB

Barrow Roll said:
Hotness. GT is Barrow Roll. Send me a msg or friend request when you're ready to roll.
Might be more than 20 minutes - we're going to play a family game for a bit first. Maybe 30 minutes.

GhaleonEB

Barrow Roll said:
Not a problem. I can kill time for 30 mins.
MrBig, my daughter and I are in a lobby, just need you.

I sent you a FR.

My daughter and I have a black-colored round post-it note for our targeting reticules. It helps, trust me.

Opiate

Halo Reach is this week's Community Spotlight. For those who are still unsure about Reach, why would someone who might have abandoned the Halo franchise enjoy Halo:Reach?

Mush

Opiate said:
For those who are still unsure about Reach, why would someone who might have abandoned the Halo franchise enjoy Halo:Reach?
Because coming back after a two month break just this week and finding that Armour Lock is even worse than what it was is just not fun.

Gui_PT said:
Thank you.

I must admit though, I'm a bit disappointed that you guys act like AL isn't somewhat of a problem.

Yup. Blows my mind.

Back to Bad Company for me, it's stunning how many tweaks that game has gotten in less than a year, even if DLC was neglected.

Hey You

Opiate said:
Halo Reach is this week's Community Spotlight. For those who are still unsure about Reach, why would someone who might have abandoned the Halo franchise enjoy Halo:Reach?
I've always wondered what this "Community Spotlight" thing is.

Anyways, Reach is a nice change from the Traditional ways of the Trilogy.

I'll edit more when I come up with something better.

Opiate said:

lol bad timing for that one, if anyone goes 10 posts up for that big rant

Opiate

Hey You said:

Anyways, Reach is a nice change from the Traditional ways of the Trilogy.

I'll edit more when I come up with something better.

It's my attempt to 1) give community games more attention by putting them on the gaming forum, and 2) giving the community forum more attention by showing people the communities they're missing/lost touch with.

In other words, the community forum isn't visited as often as I'd like: this is me giving the forum itself and the games in it more attention.

Community threads often remain active, but after some time condense to a select group who still likes to play the game, and very few new players are introduced. If there is ever a time to bring in new players, now is that time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hey You said:

It's them moving you out of the ghetto for the week in an attempt to get people to check the ghetto for threads.

Not sure it works. *shrug*

lol bad timing for that one, if anyone goes 10 posts up for that big rant

HaloGAF's always bitching though, this isn't new. :p

Opiate said:
It's my attempt to 1) give community games more attention by putting them on the gaming forum, and 2) giving the community forum more attention by showing people the communities they're missing/lost touch with.

In other words, the community forum isn't visited as often as I'd like: this is me giving the forum itself and the games in it more attention.

Community threads often remain active, but after some time condense to a select group who still likes to play the game, and very few new players are introduced. If there is ever a time to bring in new players, now is that time.

Doesn't this just demonstrate that the Community subforum itself is disruptive to the flow of the forum?

Nils said:
Just spent two straight hours with a friend cursing and cursing on the last part of Winter Contingency for the challenge. Overjoyed as we were when we finally finished it, everything came crashing down very soon when we were awarded a whopping 500 credits.

Two of the optional skulls weren't on (blind and cowbell) because well they're listed as optional. Mean move Bungie!
Yeah but the challenge says ALL skulls need to be on, even the four silver skulls.

That sucks you had to go through all that though. Wait till you play through it with the blind skull on. You're gonna have fun.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Narpas Sword0 said:
Doesn't this just demonstrate that the Community subforum itself is disruptive to the flow of the forum?
If the community forum topics were part of the gaming forum we'd have a ton of online games constantly getting bumped to the top while gaming news and lesser known games would be getting tossed to the bottom.

Opiate said:
JETPACKS

...and Firefight, both solo Score Attack and Matchmaking.

soldat7

Jack Scofield said:
For the first time in months, I decided to play some multiplayer in Halo Reach (thank you free Gold weekend!). After a scant 30 minutes, I remembered why I quit playing this game in the first place.

So I put in the disc and am instantly bombarded with advertisements for their latest map pack. Something like $10 for three maps, effectively one-upping Activision in price-gauging consumers. I skip the ad and go into matchmaking, where again I'm told to buy the map pack. Jesus Christ, stop shoving this down my throat.

Finally, I'm able to start matchmaking. I select Team Slayer since I just want to mess around a bit, and I figure it would have the highest server population and fastest matchmaking. Boy, was I wrong. I'm sitting in matchmaking for literally about 30 seconds before it even finds a second player. It may not seem like a long time, but 30 seconds is an eternity when searching for games. After about a minute, the lobby is FINALLY fully populated. The players choose some bullshit gametype like Slayer DMRs or Slayer Pro (they all blend together for me, I have no idea what the difference is). After another 15 second countdown, I'm finally in the game.

BUT WAIT! I'm instantly greeted to a black screen with a list of players and the words "starting match" flashing. I give Bungie the benefit of the doubt and assume that it'll start shortly. After about a full minute or two of just sitting there, the game inexplicably ends and I'm sent to a post game lobby. What. The. Fuck.

I decide to give the game one more short. So far I've spent about 10 minutes dicking around without actually being able to join a match. After another god-awful wait time, the game matches me with a full lobby. Aside from me, everyone votes for a second round of voting. The 15 second timer ends, and a THIRD round of voting begins. After another 15 seconds, three people have already left the lobby, and since Bungie refuses to insert drop-in drop-out matchmaking in Halo, the game decides to put me on a team by myself versus four others. "Fuck this shit," I say, and dashboard.

Repeat one more time, only this time I'm able to start the match. Immediately I realize that the entire team is using armor lock, so I respond accordingly. After a few minutes, two enemies quit, followed quickly by a third. So now it's 1 versus 4 again, and now I have to wait out this match or risk being banned. Brilliant, Bungie. In order to find some semblance of fun I teabag and melee the dead enemy's body every chance I get, even when I didn't kill him.

What a giant waste of time. I spent about 30 minutes and only got to play one boring match. Take some lessons from COD, Bungie, and create a matchmaking system that operates faster than an hourglass.

What did you expect? You probably didn't have the maps cached to your HDD, the magic Bungie network monster had yet to learn the nuances of your particular network connection because you never play, and you were clearly biased towards Call of Duty coming in.

Do you really think that your experience was typical? And why would you care about being banned or about the price of the Halo maps when the COD maps are always more expensive?

*sticks tongue out*

GhaleonEB

Opiate said:
The depth and variety of gameplay on tap. It borders on the absurd.

I'm not a huge fan of the multiplayer game - just a few modes and maps - but the campaign is arguably the best in the series, and Firefight is amazing. And I've spent as much time building custom maps in Forge as playing the core gameplay modes. There's a such a depth and breadth on display, it took me two months before I'd dabbled in all of it.

There's a one-week test playlist up right now called Firefight Limited, a survival mode with limited lives, that really highlights the strength of that mode, which is where I've spent most of my Reach playtime.

Firefight overall is Halo's enemy and combat sandbox, distilled and concentrated. I'd have bought Reach were it nothing but Firefight. The suite of features wrapped around it all - theater, screenshots, custom game types, bungie.net support, challenges, etc. are icing on the cake.

Plywood said:
If the community forum topics were part of the gaming forum we'd have a ton of online games constantly getting bumped to the top while gaming news and lesser known games would be getting tossed to the bottom.

oh no, games no one cares about will fall to the wayside? instead lets hide games people do care about

Top Bottom