• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Zeal

Banned
ih_furybomb01.jpg

a thing of beauty.

neoism

Letters said:
Great news, urk sucks, total snorefest. We need to get juices or kylej in there doing the updates.
He just uses to many words in the updates.... Frankie was/is the best. I really enjoyed Luke's also. He is crazy if he is leaving, but I'm sure he is just movin on up.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
He just uses to many words in the updates.... Frankie was/is the best. I really enjoyed Luke's also. He is crazy if he is leaving, but I'm sure he is just movin on up.
I'm wondering if Urk is the new Brian.

Opiate

Domino Theory said:
Then can the community forum?

Just a thought.

We can't do this for a very important reason: these community threads tend, over time, to condense down to a core of players (perhaps a dozen, perhaps a few dozen) who maintain interest in the game and treat the thread as a place to talk and meet up. Putting these threads back in the gaming forum would result in TF2, Halo, WoW, GT5, etc. all being effectively stickied to the first page of the forum for years, which is decidedly inconvenient for people who want news and information that is current, and/or have no interest in this select handful of titles.

That's our reason. This is not a debate: I did not bring this over so that you could question the infinite wisdom of the infallible moderators. I did it to be nice, for fun, and to offer a game you presumably love some exposure. With that in mind, I recommend we all get back to talking about why Halo is so much fun and why other people might enjoy it. And also why Ghaleon is a much better PoliGaf poster than he is a Halo player (I would assume).

Opiate said:
why Ghaleon is a much better PoliGaf poster than he is a Halo player (I would assume).
There goes his hopes of taking urks post :p It was a good run Ghal, now back to marketing finance already!

Halo is fun at its core. Plenty more playlists in the rotation now than there were at launch with the diversity of playstyles providing an attractive source of entertainment for most kinds of players. Players without the DLC, while being prompted to purchase it, are not required to do so in order to enjoy the game like the rest of the fanbase so you aren't losing touch with the bulk of players. Game is fun... that is all.

GhaleonEB

Opiate said:
And also why Ghaleon is a much better PoliGaf poster than he is a Halo player (I would assume).
This has the benefit of being both ice cold and entirely correct.

(For multiplayer! I play a mean game of Firefight.)

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
This has the benefit of being both ice cold and entirely correct.

(For multiplayer! I play a mean game of Firefight.)

And even then, the game decides to kill you with a ordinance drop!

Kuroyume

Banned
How does it make more sense in Multi Team than Team Slayer? In MT it's 2 vs 10. You're constantly running into Armor Lockers and you can't just turn your back to them or wait because there are 10 other people out to kill you. Compare that to the 4 that argainst you in TS. AL slowing you down in MT is much worse than TS since you're always fighting someone.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Narpas Sword0 said:
oh no, games no one cares about will fall to the wayside? instead lets hide games people do care about
Not just lesser known games like indie games or sleeper hits which are games which people do care about but also gaming news. Don't be stupid.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:
How does it make more sense in Multi Team than Team Slayer? In MT it's 2 vs 10. You're constantly running into Armor Lockers and you can't just turn your back to them or wait because there are 10 other people out to kill you. Compare that to the 4 that argainst you in TS. AL slowing you down in MT is much worse than TS since you're always fighting someone.

I find it MUCH less frustrating in MT than in TS, but you probably play a lot more MT than TS.

MT is a chaotic shit fest, AL works in that kind of environment just like it works in BTB.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
And even then, the game decides to kill you with a ordinance drop!
Indeed. I literally jumped up from my seat, it startled me to death.

On the subject of Firefight and why Reach is so great, I'll post a few of my highlight clips to illustrate the joys contained therein.

From the recent (and upcoming) Firefight Arcade playlist, I get to go ballistic with a large hammer, or detonate heaping piles of Grunts.

Alternatly, I get to go on sprees methodically taking out Elites or Skirmishers, demonstate the usefulness of Armor Lock, survive impossible odds only to fail spectacularly and, when all else fails, set off massive piles of explosives and watch things go boom.

I could play it every goddamn day, forever.

Yea no Urks's writeups are great. They do need to get me or vhfive or kyle in charge of playlist's or helping out once we get settled down though.

btw ive gotten like 4 submissons for montage so forget about it.

GloveSlap

cuevas said:
What did they do to AL to make it worse?

More and more people are using it everyday because of how obviously broken it and they have no shame, or are using it to defend themselves against the legions of other armpr lockers. People are also getting better and better at squeezing every last drop of cheapness out of it, mostly by doing the quick lock that gives them glitchy shield-frosting bs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm halfway through Colonel grade 3 for my Brigadier and Mark VI. We need more multiplayer challenges so I can get to it already!

Gui_PT

Iron With Friends
Complete a Campaign mission co-op on Heroic or harder with the Iron Skull on.

Anyone interested in doing this one right now?

Opiate said:
Halo Reach is this week's Community Spotlight. For those who are still unsure about Reach, why would someone who might have abandoned the Halo franchise enjoy Halo:Reach?
There's so much stuff you can do in Reach that even if you don't like one particular game mode, that doesn't mean you stop playing the game. Don't like MP? Fine, just stick to Firefight and you'll have a blast. Then there's Forge and Campaign.

Tashi

TrounceX said:
Hey Tashi do you post on mlg? I feel like I know you somehow...

Occasionally. I have like 80 posts in 4 years or so, so not very often. Maybe you know me from my JTV stream?

Gui_PT said:
Iron With Friends
Complete a Campaign mission co-op on Heroic or harder with the Iron Skull on.

Anyone interested in doing this one right now?
If you're still on in half an hour and I'll help you with it.

Opiate said:
Halo Reach is this week's Community Spotlight. For those who are still unsure about Reach, why would someone who might have abandoned the Halo franchise enjoy Halo:Reach?
Reach is standalone, and not as weighed down as the others in terms of knowing who the characters are & the backstory.
Reach has the best production value cinematics and character writing of the series to date.
You're part of a squad of characters, rarely not with at least one of the npcs.
Space combat! With some of the most beautiful skyboxes you'll have ever seen.
Armour abilities - sprint, armour lock, hologram, jetpack, etc all change how you want to play it. Feel Halo is too slow - sprint. Like being able to take a breather when things get hectic - drop shield.
CR/Credits - Create your Spartan as you want him to look and take him into Campaign too (cinematics included)
Daily and Weekly Challenges - Earn 'big' credit payouts by performing certain tasks in Campaign, Multiplayer or Firefight
Firefight - Matchmaking, both typical and crazy modes. Customise it to how you want it.

Forge 2.0 - Just go look at list of great maps fellow GAFers have created. Seriously.

MIMIC

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
For the first time in months, I decided to play some multiplayer in Halo Reach (thank you free Gold weekend!). After a scant 30 minutes, I remembered why I quit playing this game in the first place.

So I put in the disc and am instantly bombarded with advertisements for their latest map pack. Something like $10 for three maps, effectively one-upping Activision in price-gauging consumers. I skip the ad and go into matchmaking, where again I'm told to buy the map pack. Jesus Christ, stop shoving this down my throat.

Finally, I'm able to start matchmaking. I select Team Slayer since I just want to mess around a bit, and I figure it would have the highest server population and fastest matchmaking. Boy, was I wrong. I'm sitting in matchmaking for literally about 30 seconds before it even finds a second player. It may not seem like a long time, but 30 seconds is an eternity when searching for games. After about a minute, the lobby is FINALLY fully populated. The players choose some bullshit gametype like Slayer DMRs or Slayer Pro (they all blend together for me, I have no idea what the difference is). After another 15 second countdown, I'm finally in the game.

BUT WAIT! I'm instantly greeted to a black screen with a list of players and the words "starting match" flashing. I give Bungie the benefit of the doubt and assume that it'll start shortly. After about a full minute or two of just sitting there, the game inexplicably ends and I'm sent to a post game lobby. What. The. Fuck.

I decide to give the game one more short. So far I've spent about 10 minutes dicking around without actually being able to join a match. After another god-awful wait time, the game matches me with a full lobby. Aside from me, everyone votes for a second round of voting. The 15 second timer ends, and a THIRD round of voting begins. After another 15 seconds, three people have already left the lobby, and since Bungie refuses to insert drop-in drop-out matchmaking in Halo, the game decides to put me on a team by myself versus four others. "Fuck this shit," I say, and dashboard.

Repeat one more time, only this time I'm able to start the match. Immediately I realize that the entire team is using armor lock, so I respond accordingly. After a few minutes, two enemies quit, followed quickly by a third. So now it's 1 versus 4 again, and now I have to wait out this match or risk being banned. Brilliant, Bungie. In order to find some semblance of fun I teabag and melee the dead enemy's body every chance I get, even when I didn't kill him.

What a giant waste of time. I spent about 30 minutes and only got to play one boring match. Take some lessons from COD, Bungie, and create a matchmaking system that operates faster than an hourglass.

Sounds like you had fun! =p

I tried that ghastly weekly challenge yesterday and figured that it wouldn't be TOO hard.

Yeah, ummmmm....I quit after 5 minutes.
14kjf2d.gif
I can deal with everything else but I simply cannot shoot without the reticule/bloom. Maybe I should have used some plastic wrap and drawn one onto the screen or something :)

And once again, fuck armor lock.

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:
Today are customs, right? I'll join definitely.

@ZayneH wanna do the Weekly today?
Forgegaf at 3 est, customs will probably be at usual time.

I can be on whenever for whoever else wants to do iron (I guess the weekly would count for that even though I've done it 2.9 times already

feel

7echnicolor said:
wat.

Are you serious
You're probably joking..
? Urks write-ups are great.
Frankie set the bar at awesomely spectacular, urk delivering great just doesn't cut it

Tashi

Letters said:
Frankie set the bar at awesomely spectacular, urk delivering great just doesn't cut it

I used to read the entire updates every week but now I find myself looking for the stuff I care about or just looking at the pretty pictures. I'm like a 6 year old lol. No offense btw Urk, it's not you, it's me :p

Opiate

Thanks for the responses guys. How friendly is the community? What's the sensible-GAF-poster-type to racist-14-year-old ratio online?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
Yea no Urks's writeups are great. They do need to get me or vhfive or kyle in charge of playlist's or helping out once we get settled down though.

btw ive gotten like 4 submissons for montage so forget about it.

Seriously? You would think everyone would be submitting.

wwm0nkey said:

Uh, that's great and all, but they are just driving around, the beams aren't deadly.

Tashi

Opiate said:
Thanks for the responses guys. How friendly is the community? What's the sensible-GAF-poster-type to racist-14-year-old ratio online?

I think as with any online game these days it's not a very good ratio. I'd say though that since Call of Duty has taken over in popularity, a lot of the little douche bags are playing that rather than Halo. For any GAF poster that wants to play though, there are playing people in HaloGAF who play just about everything and range from the worst players ever (Dax) to the best players ever in history (KevinRo lolol)

Sai-kun

Banned
Opiate said:
A lot of us are huuuuge jerks.

Actually, inside the game, pretty much every regular poster here is super friendly and fun. Oh gosh :]

But every other person is mean. Or doesn't have a mic. There are a lot of mean people, but it's super easy to not have to put up with that kinda crap at all since it's so easy to mute people.

BTW what's the weekly this week?

feel

Opiate said:
It used to be much worse back then when Halo was the only popular xbox online shooter and all the screaming racist kids had nowhere else to be online. Nowadays decent people are more prevalent, in the lobbies at least, once the games start, most will try and use every cheap tactic available, but that's not really their fault.

Alienshogun said:
Seriously? You would think everyone would be submitting.
I've noticed that really interesting to watch clutch plays in Reach seem few and far between. Most people probably think their clips are just not that great.

Welcome back btw.

Top Bottom