• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Gui_PT

Shogun's back!

2lk2ozs.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
It used to be much worse back then when Halo was the only popular xbox online shooter and all the screaming racist kids had nowhere else to be online. Nowadays decent people are more prevalent, in the lobbies at least, once the games start, most will try and use every cheap tactic available, but that's not really their fault.

I've noticed that really interesting to watch clutch plays in Reach seem few and far between. Most people probably think their clips are just not that great.

Welcome back btw.

Yeah, that's unfortunate; if someone is willing to make a montage people should be hooking him up!

Thanks!

Gui_PT said:
Shogun's back!

2lk2ozs.gif

Yar!

j-wood

Is it possible to stop the annoying messages that I don't have the map pack every time I start up the game?

I know I don't have the map pack. Stop telling me.

On the other hand though, is the map pack worth it?

j-wood said:
Is it possible to stop the annoying messages that I don't have the map pack every time I start up the game?

It has the best map, Tempest, of the entire game. So I think so.

Gui_PT

j-wood said:

You're only supposed to get it one time so there's something wrong there. And yes, it's definitely worth it. Awesome maps.

j-wood

Gui_PT said:
You're only supposed to get it one time so there's something wrong there. And yes, it's definitely worth it. Awesome maps.

Yep, everytime I boot the game I get the message. I have like 20 seconds before I can click Ok too. Before that option becomes available, the only thing I can click is to go to the marketplace. It's very annoying.

j-wood said:

I'll second what Dax said and add this: upon further review Anchor 9 is great if you liked The Pit in Halo 3. It looks nothing like it but somehow gives me the same feeling which is weird because someone at Bungie originally made that comparison and I thought they were crazy.

Breakfast/Breakaway/Breakwhatever seems cool too but I'm not a BTB/Invasion guy. The pack is worth it at $10 unless you are spiritually against paying money for maps which many people on the internet seem to be.

Opiate said:
Thanks for the responses guys. How friendly is the community? What's the sensible-GAF-poster-type to racist-14-year-old ratio online?
It's an odd community for sure. Every poster on Gaf will/should swear by the general rule of thumb that one should always play with a friend or some poster here on Gaf. This is because most players don't use thir mics, abuse their mics or are just aren't that friendly. Of course there are diamonds in the rough out there and great times can be had with randoms.
The other main advantage of playing with someone from Gaf is yu are considerably less likely to have a quitter/bad player/griefer etc. While Matchmaking generally does its job, as well as providin some tools to refine the pool of people you can be matched with, I generally prefer the feeling of playing with other Gaffers.

Kuroyume

Banned
I suggest not getting the map pack until someone comes to their senses and does something about the vehicles on Breakpoint. The other two maps are good... Not that I've had much chance to play Anchor 9.

Apath

j-wood said:

- Start up game. Receive message notifying you don't have maps. Wait a moment, wait! Now hit A. This should only happen once but has happened to me several times.
- Enter matchmaking lobby. Receive message notifying you don't have maps. Hit A. This happens every time you boot up Halo.
- Match lobby is chosen. Text flashes on the screen that you don't have all the maps. This never goes away.

It's fucking retarded and really points out how hard they're trying to squeeze money out of your pockets for their over-priced bullshit. It's just hard to tell whether this is Bungie's doing (in which case, I hate you Bungie) or if it's Microsoft's doing, in which case it's to be expected of them.

Bregmann Roche said:
Breakfast/Breakaway/Breakwhatever seems cool too but I'm not a BTB/Invasion guy. The pack is worth it at $10 unless you are spiritually against paying money for maps which many people on the internet seem to be.
I payed $40 for Halo: Reach new, which included 10 multiplayer maps, a bunch of fire fight matches, and the entire campaign. Now even assuming I payed full price, I am paying 1/6 of the cost of the game for like 5% of the content.

Three maps for $10 is a rip-off. It may not be for everyone, but it's not hard to understand where everybody else is coming from.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What's up with the ludicrous spawns on Doubles Arena? Makes no sense for them to spawn my enemies next to each other and spawn me and my ally across the map from each other.

Striker

Letters said:
Nowadays decent people are more prevalent, in the lobbies at least, once the games start, most will try and use every cheap tactic available, but that's not really their fault.
I normally use party chat, but when I have played without it for playing BTB, I have had my share of good sportsmanship. There's been a share who's tried and wanted to win and would not get mad over not getting a Wraith or Sniper Rifle.

As for your second line - truthfully, that's with almost all competitive games. People will try to grief or exploit their way to win almost all the time.

What's up with the ludicrous spawns on Doubles Arena? Makes no sense for you to spawn my enemies next to each other and spawn me and my ally across the map from each other.
Sounds like Doubles in The Pit where I would spawn by the air lift and my partner would spawn across the map in the Shotgun area. Bungie spawns™.

Apath

Plywood said:
What's up with the ludicrous spawns on Doubles Arena? Makes no sense for them to spawn my enemies next to each other and spawn me and my ally across the map from each other.
It also happens in Multiteam. Sometimes I'll spawn right by my ally, and other games I'll spawn the opposite side of the map from him every time. I've learned to live with it, but it can really push my buttons when I see two enemy teammates spawn right by me next to each other.

neoism

Kuroyume said:
How does it make more sense in Multi Team than Team Slayer? In MT it's 2 vs 10. You're constantly running into Armor Lockers and you can't just turn your back to them or wait because there are 10 other people out to kill you. Compare that to the 4 that argainst you in TS. AL slowing you down in MT is much worse than TS since you're always fighting someone.
I love it in Multi, but sense the weapon change to the plasma rifle, I've noticed it's used a looot less.

neoism

Tashi0106 said:
I used to read the entire updates every week but now I find myself looking for the stuff I care about or just looking at the pretty pictures. I'm like a 6 year old lol. No offense btw Urk, it's not you, it's me :p
yeap I do the same thing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Striker said:
Sounds like Doubles in The Pit where I would spawn by the air lift and my partner would spawn across the map in the Shotgun area. Bungie spawns™.
Gotta love it.
Kenak said:
It also happens in Multiteam. Sometimes I'll spawn right by my ally, and other games I'll spawn the opposite side of the map from him every time. I've learned to live with it, but it can really push my buttons when I see two enemy teammates spawn right by me next to each other.
Multiteam spawns are the absolute worst.

neoism

Plywood said:
spawns isn't the problem in doubles..... it's the fucking jet-pack..... I hate it more than AL by a mile. :/

Gui_PT

So I was browsing through my film clips and I forgot about this assassination.

Pretty cool and the only time I've ever seen it:

1Nsq5.jpg

lr4xI.jpg

f7D7P.jpg

FKgRu.jpg

Plywood said:

Multi-Team is strange drug. It lacks the pacing, balance, and overall cohesion of every other game type and yet I can't get enough of it. Why I keep forgiving it for all of its flaws I will never know.

Kenak said:
I payed $40 for Halo: Reach new, which included 10 multiplayer maps, a bunch of fire fight matches, and the entire campaign. Now even assuming I payed full price, I am paying 1/6 of the cost of the game for like 5% of the content.

Three maps for $10 is a rip-off. It may not be for everyone, but it's not hard to understand where everybody else is coming from.
No one is arguing that case buddy. You bought the game. It's Bungie's game and they are well within their rights to advertise their own in-game content for those who don't frequent bnet or other sites dealing with the news of DLC. At the end of the day, you simply need not purchase it and you'll be happy.

MrBig

Hydranockz said:
No one is arguing that case buddy. You bought the game. It's Bungie's game and they are well within their rights to advertise their own in-game content for those who don't frequent bnet or other sites dealing with the news of DLC. At the end of the day, you simply need not purchase it and you'll be happy.
3 constant, unstoppable reminders is too much though.

And urk, can we put the <3 Bungie logo on the card?

zumphry

Banned
ForgeGAF customs have been moved to 4 pm est.

Sai-kun said:
A lot of us are huuuuge jerks.

Actually, inside the game, pretty much every regular poster here is super friendly and fun. Oh gosh :]

But every other person is mean. Or doesn't have a mic. There are a lot of mean people, but it's super easy to not have to put up with that kinda crap at all since it's so easy to mute people.

BTW what's the weekly this week?

I'm actually the opposite where I'm kinda friendly on here but a huge jerk online.

I'm kidding.*

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:

Bail out dude. Bail. Out. Dubs Arena is the worst playlist in the game. People who disagree haven't played it. Your life will change when you play Unanchored and 4 rockets spawn every 90 seconds.

Whats the best way to play Breakpoint Invasion? Unfortunatly I dont think I have really got it more than like twice yet, which is a shame because the way the trailers showed it looked amazing. To be honest I just want a way to try out Falcon's on Breakpoint. :p

Does it come up often on the DLC playlist? Or should I try my luck on the Invasion playlist? I havent played the DLC playlist for a while, so im hoping they updated it to include invasion!

Falagard

bobs99 ... said:
Whats the best way to play Breakpoint Invasion? Unfortunatly I dont think I have really got it more than like twice yet, which is a shame because the way the trailers showed it looked amazing. To be honest I just want a way to try out Falcon's on Breakpoint. :p

Does it come up often on the DLC playlist? Or should I try my luck on the Invasion playlist? I havent played the DLC playlist for a while, so im hoping they updated it to include invasion!

I played it a couple times with some Gaffers last night. I believe we played Invasion playlist AND the DLC playlist and might have hit it once in each.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HaloGAF Customs - 4 Hours from this post!

Featuring the following maps this week and more;

• Moonpool II
  • Surf
  • Truss.4
  • Trestle.b
  • Kingdom
  • Enforcer Factory
  • Bregopticon WIP
  • Yeti Dome
  • Citadel Remake
  • Rat Race Remake
  • Rift Zone

Lazslo

Edit...I'm really looking forward to Customs tonight because I got a pretty new super-quiet Xbox slim and Kinect today.

-Also that Citadel remake is crazy awesome.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
neoism said:
spawns isn't the problem in doubles..... it's the fucking jet-pack..... I hate it more than AL by a mile. :/
1 Jetpacker and 1 Sprinter actually makes a pretty good combo.
Bregmann Roche said:
Multi-Team is strange drug. It lacks the pacing, balance, and overall cohesion of every other game type and yet I can't get enough of it. Why I keep forgiving it for all of its flaws I will never know.
It is a carnival of crazy, I wouldn't mind playing if it wasn't for the crazy ass spawns.
kylej said:
Bail out dude. Bail. Out. Dubs Arena is the worst playlist in the game. People who disagree haven't played it. Your life will change when you play Unanchored and 4 rockets spawn every 90 seconds.
I think I'll take your word on that, the games I did play on Anchor 9 were terrible.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
In the spirit of fun and trying out stupid shit that could potentially be awesome, if we have time tonight in Customs I'm going to try out a game of Halo Tactics made by GodlyPerfection.

So what is Halo Tactics?

Each player takes turns moving and dealing damage to each other, while using a random ability to help them eliminate their opponents. Play team vs team, FFA, or just a simple 1v1. Sure your friends may have a better trigger finger and twitch gameplay skills, but do they have the wits and know how to out play you in a game where accuracy takes a back seat and positioning is king?

Each player takes turns of 3 seconds each. Players cannot move or deal damage until it is their turn (players also can't jump EVER and there is no melee damage). All inactive players are set to Black to signify that it is not their turn, the active player is set to White. When you have radar it is your turn. Each player spawns with one of 4 armor abilities chosen randomly based on spawn; Evade, Sprint, Drop Shield, and Active Camo. These armor abilities may be used at anytime, even when it is not your turn. However Evade and Sprint are useless when it is not your turn. Each player has one life and a ton of health. The goal is to eliminate every opponent.

More information can be found here.

Lazslo

Dani said:
In the spirit of fun and trying out stupid shit that could potentially be awesome, if we have time tonight in Customs I'm going to try out a game of Halo Tactics made by GodlyPerfection.

So what is Halo Tactics?

More information can be found here.
Looks fun, lets do it

neoism

Dani said:

• Moonpool II
  • Surf
  • Truss.4
  • Trestle.b
  • Kingdom
  • Enforcer Factory
  • Bregopticon WIP
  • Yeti Dome
  • Citadel Remake
  • Rat Race Remake
  • Rift Zone
:D:D can't wait... hopefully we get more than 10 ppl. :/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
neoism said:
:D:D can't wait... hopefully we get more than 10 ppl. :/
You guys have been having shitty turn outs? If my teammate doesnt ask me to play tonight, I'll get in there.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Dani said:

• Moonpool II
  • Surf
  • Truss.4
  • Trestle.b
  • Kingdom
  • Enforcer Factory
  • Bregopticon WIP
  • Yeti Dome
  • Citadel Remake
  • Rat Race Remake
  • Rift Zone

Can't wait!

Lazslo

Trasher said:
Tips for the last part of the weekly? Best we've done is kill the sword guys a couple times. Can't touch the other two.
You playing Customs tonight brodizzle? You totally should so I could teach you a thing or two...

I'm jumping on now for some warm-up games, anyone is welcome to join.

Dug

Banned
Looking foward to customs tonight, hope we get a bit more people then last time.

I keep on forgetting that this thread is in the Gaming Section :\

Gui_PT

Trasher said:
Yeah, lol, it is not like that video at all for co-op it would seem. There are two concussion elites, and they don't just stand there and let you "pepper" them with the plasma pistol as that video shows. They constantly move around and shoot when you try to do that.

Hmm... Try leaving the room or something whenever they try to shoot, way back into the corridor.

If you can't get it, I'll try to join you tomorrow and have a go at it if you're interested.

Trasher

Gui_PT said:
Hmm... Try leaving the room or something whenever they try to shoot, way back into the corridor.

If you can't get it, I'll try to join you tomorrow and have a go at it if you're interested.
The door to the corridor shuts. =/

Update: SUCCESS. After 4 hours and 38 minutes...lol. Ended up just bull rushing with the sword and killing the two concussion bastards one at a time.

GhaleonEB

So, yeah. Separate pools of lives when this returns, please.

Everyone died right at the start of the Round 3 boss wave. So it was me, five Chieftains, bunch of Grunts, two Hunters (from the previous wave) and a Ghost. I killed all but one Hunter before time ran out.

Also, I'm convinced Bungie has deployed something to boot AFKers. The bottom dude there was sorta playing at first, but then stopped after a few minutes. After being stationary at the top of the building for a few minutes, the five second countdown hit and he left. I've seen something similar happen many times now. In FF Limited, I don't think I've seen any AFKers make it to the end of the game, they're all gone by the first Round or so.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Trasher said:
The door to the corridor shuts. =/

Update: SUCCESS. After 4 hours and 38 minutes...lol. Ended up just bull rushing with the sword and killing the two concussion bastards one at a time.
You could've earned that much in about 5 games. :/

Weekly payout is too low.

Top Bottom