• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Got the Onyx on the terribad Dubs on the very last day of the season, bloom still sucks, spawns still sucks.

Maps still fucking suck.

Fire Sage, that is all.

Plywood said:
Seriously, fire Sage.
And retroactively make Reach better... maybe!

I blame my ~1mb upload speeds for my seemingly random games of griffball. Consistency goes out the window for me there. Don't mind bloom, hammers are a problem :p

Great games wth Zalinkrow though. I'll invite some gaffers to my party the next time I am on so as not to have ye all on your lonesome'n'shit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:
And retroactively make Reach better... maybe!

I blame my ~1mb upload speeds for my seemingly random games of griffball. Consistency goes out the window for me there. Don't mind bloom, hammers are a problem :p

Great games wth Zalinkrow though. I'll invite some gaffers to my party the next time I am on so as not to have ye all on your lonesome'n'shit.
They could patch it, because if modders can take out bloom they can take out bloom.

And ya just gotta love the Overpowered plasma pistol shots, whats the point of charging up the gun when you can just shoot it a couple times a beat down.

Plywood said:
And ya just gotta love the Overpowered plasma pistol shots, whats the point of charging up the gun when you can just shoot it a couple times a beat down.
The safety of splash damage vs missing a few much needed shots I'd guess.

Kuroyume... wrong thread. It's painfully obvious you have nothing Halo-related to talk about.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Kuroyume said:
Is the new COD getting another map pack soon or is it its first?
The first.

Time to first DLC..

Halo Reach ~ 78 days
Black Ops ~ 83 days (for 360 users)

Pretty similar (if my dates are correct)

Had to try and make this Reach related..

GhaleonEB

Just had a game of Firefight Limited where one player just HAD to keep using the bubble shield every time Elites would get to the top of the building. I'd tag it with the over charge plasma pulse and *fwoomp* a shield goes up around me. Elite charges in and lands a melee for the kill.

Three times.

user_nat said:
The first.

Time to first DLC..

Halo Reach ~ 78 days
Black Ops ~ 83 days (for 360 users)

Pretty similar (if my dates are correct)

Had to try and make this Reach related..
I thought he may have hoped we all infered that from his post. My only problem with that, however, is that it is an apples and oranges situation.

Cod has a largely different feature set that Reach would contain and vice versa. Even strictly multiplayer DLC you would consider the maps both games started with both in terms of the amount of maps and the styles they would cater for. Are we going to just assume that Microsoft and Activision have identical plans for the release of post-release content for two different games? Throw me a bone but there is next to reason to menton COD DLC here... even with comparison to that of Reach... which Kuroyume couldn't even bother mentioning :p

Kuroyume

Banned
I thought it was their second. That's not that bad I guess.

Hey, Hydranrocks apparently you have nothing to say in this thread unless it has to do with me. Way to go.

Trasher

Plywood said:
They could patch it, because if modders can take out bloom they can take out bloom.

Modders have taken out bloom? God, I so want to try this game without bloom.

Booties

Banned
The whole idea that all the weapons with "precision" attached to their description are not "precise" because of bloom is stupid. Precision means you have at least a 95% probability of hitting a target extremely close to the same spot more than once.

7LXfe.png

Imagine the arrow showing precision is actually a cone and the outer most circle of that cone is your reticule. THAT'S WERE ALL THE BULLETS SHOULD GO if you want to call it a precise weapon. The spread showing accuracy would be good for, say, an assault rifle or needler.

Fuck trying to be all smart and using arctan and that bullshit in your ranking system for arena if you can't get this simple statistical concept right. Are they just a bunch of GREs at Bungie?

Nutter

I said this when the beta came and went, Sage being responsible for MP was the worst thing to happen to Halo.

This game could be called, Shadowrun: The Halo Chronicles.

How could someone think that an audience of millions wanted to play something that totally bombed. oh wait, sage did. What makes even less sense is that how he somehow convinced everyone at Bungie to agree with him.. sigh.

All I want 343 to do is look at Halo 2 for the MP, I do not care what they do for Single Player, but for the love of god, look at Halo 2 for all the MP design ideas.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nutter said:
I said this when the beta came and went, Sage being responsible for MP was the worst thing to happen to Halo.

How could someone think that an audience of millions wanted to play something that totally bombed. oh wait, sage did. What makes even less sense is that how he somehow convinced everyone at Bungie to agree with him.. sigh.

All I want 343 to do is look at Halo 2 for the MP, I do not care what they do for Single Player, but for the love of god, look at Halo 2 for all the MP design ideas.
Shadowreach
Space Warriors
Astro Battlers
Cosmo Clankers
Galaxy Gunners
Armor Rangers
Moon Fighters

And yes bloom the "Let's slow down this shooter even more" mechanic, "but only for these guns!" Smh. Shoulda just brought back the H2 BR.

j-wood

What is all this talk about Sage and how he ruined Halo? I'm new to the Halo universe, Reach is the first one I've played.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just got back into campaign to try running through on legendary. The campaign is GOOD.

got the 'tank beats everything' achievement last night. Almost Done. Now need to beat it co-op somehow.

Kuroyume

Banned
j-wood said:
What is all this talk about Sage and how he ruined Halo? I'm new to the Halo universe, Reach is the first one I've played.

He's a Bungie developer and was formerly from FASA studios which closed down a few years ago after releasing the Shadowrun FPS. Not sure what his role was in for this game but I believe he was responsible for the combat mechanics. They introduced armor abilities and bloom in this game and those things haven't gotten an overwhelmingly postive response from the fanbase.

j-wood said:

Try Halo 3 multiplayer sometime, its really cheap. Thats probably the best way for you to compare the gameplay.

Essentially with Reach, they hired a guy from another company and essentially put him in charge of balancing the multiplayer. Essentially they gave a new dude pretty much the keys to the castle with Reach, and so the gameplay doesnt resemble Halo as much as I personally would have wanted it to.

I dont blame Sage, I blame the higher ups that thought it would be a good idea to give so much power to someone who hasnt worked on Halo before.

j-wood

Well I don't really have too many complaints...so far it's been incredibly balanced and I think it's awesome. But I guess I haven't played the old ones so I can't speak on it.

Gui_PT

j-wood said:
Well I don't really have too many complaints...so far it's been incredibly balanced and I think it's awesome. But I guess I haven't played the old ones so I can't speak on it.

That is incorrect, my dear friend. Balance is something this game does not have.

Blueblur1

The game isn't terrible but a little different. It's no surprise that it hasn't gone over well with the 'Halo hardcore'. If anything it demonstrates to 343 that long time fans would prefer a Halo 2/3 type of sequel as opposed to something that plays just like Reach. The only real complaints I would lob at Bungie in regards to Reach are that the vehicles feel off (especially the Banshee) and the frequency of awkward, glitchy first-person animations is annoying. Especially with the Hammer and Sword.

feel

Nutter said:

Seriously. I have nothing against the guy, what is baffling is how people in charge at Bungie thought it was a good idea to put the very important and delicate multiplayer, that has held a huge following for so many years because of very specific reasons, on the hands of someone new and who quite clearly didn't "get it".

j-wood

Gui_PT said:
That is incorrect, my dear friend. Balance is something this game does not have.

Please elaborate? I haven't played a match yet where I quit in frustration because the round was unfair and someone else had a cheap advantage.

j-wood said:

What Bungie did well was they made a Halo game that has wider appeal, so by all means as a new player its awesome that you enjoy it.

Its a good game don't get me wrong, but it doesn't satisfy my Halo fix. If it didn't effectively kill off Halo 3 I don't think I would be so down on it but for me it seems like Reach has not only changed the formulae but also killed off the game that had a formulae I liked.

Blueblur1 said:
The game isn't terrible but a little different. It's no surprise that it hasn't gone over well with the 'Halo hardcore'. If anything it demonstrates to 343 that long time fans would prefer a Halo 2/3 type of sequel as opposed to something that plays just like Reach. The only real complaints I would lob at Bungie in regards to Reach are that the vehicles feel off (especially the Banshee) and the frequency of awkward, glitchy first-person animations is annoying. Especially with the Hammer and Sword.

I actually love the way the new Banshee controls :p

I do hate that annoying new melee animation though when people literally duck there head as they melee. Its more realistic, but it kills of the satisfaction of headshotting a dude at extremely close range. Worst of all it doesn't always happen, so you cant even account for it.

Gui_PT

j-wood said:
Please elaborate? I haven't played a match yet where I quit in frustration because the round was unfair and someone else had a cheap advantage.

Well, to be fair, I wasn't just talking about balancing issues.

Armor Lock shouldn't even be in Matchmaking.
Lots of maps have exploitable spots.
Stupid loadouts.
Stupid weapon spawn times.
Doubles Arena.

There are a lot of tiny things but when all of those happen in 1 game, it's unbearable.

Blueblur1 said:

- You are confusing a little different with an overall good product with numerous head scratching decisions.

- I brainstormed maybe 3 times with a friend between Halo 3 and Reach and in that time frame I had already thought of how the UI could be done, how unlocks and rank progression could be, how gametypes needed to be, and pretty much everything I thought Bungie would have to do while making Reach.

- How you fuck up a AAA title when I can think of the same damn thing and better in maybe 3 fucking hours?

Its one of the few things that make me visibly angry to talk about. The sheer magnitude of wasted fucking potential makes it hard to comprehend really.

- Did you not notice how stupid it would look when EVERY SINGLE FORGE WORLD MAP had the same little thumbnail? Did that not come up when thinking how many different maps there were gonna be?

- Did the fact that you can't change challenges after the fact not send up a red flag? Like oh I don't know how lazy it looks?

- Since were on the subject of lazy, given how lazy it was having so many maps come out of forge world, why wasn't there so kind of push to get some community maps out a little sooner? Like before 80% of your player base got bored and left?

- How long down the road did you realize Invasion wasn't working? How many times did you sit in the phase 1 area and think, "man, this really isn't a very interesting or fun way to do this". How are there not different ways of completing each phase?

- After seeing CoD's success, why then did you go the exact opposite way in arena? Who the fuck wants to wait a fucking month? NO ONE. No one has fucking time for that.

- Again, after seeing CoD's success, did you choose to make the out of game experience so boring and tedious? There is no reason you can't incorporate these things from another game while still retaining the beautiful Halo gameplay.

- Why could I come up with a better campaign story that didn't have to change the actual campaign when you guys are the ones who are making it? Apparently none of you can make characters or a story have much weight still.

- Since were on the story,
WHY THE FUCK DID THE PILOT FLY INTO THE GODDAM "ELECTRIC FIELD" IF HE KNEW IT WAS AN ELECTRIC FIELD?

- How can you go from Halo 2 and then proceed to more or less rape objective gametypes in Reach? Even with a game in between? What the fuck.

- No more ranked objective? Well there went one of the biggest reasons Halo became what it is today, competitive objective multiplayer.

- As one of the most dedicated players to vehicle combat and driving, you guys really fucked up vehicle combat. There was a certain simplicity that Halo 1 and 2 vehicles and combat had, and now its gone.

- Why does a pistol decrease in accuracy so fast? Its a fucking pistol in the hands of a super fucking soldier with fucking power armor.

All of this came off the top of my head in the last 10 minutes. But I'm sure, as with every other long and thoughtful post I've put on this forum about halo, it will go unnoticed and Bungie might read it and still not give me a goddam job. As for my pity party quote of the day, its not fucking fair how much a care about this game and seeing the way it is, while I sit here yelling at a computer screen, begging to be heard.

You guys had it right at your fingertips!

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Really hope Bungie is actually working on a Title Update :(
Every time I think of a possible title update, I think about how the Revenant was excluded from the Noble map pack entirely rather than fix the bug.

Kinda bummed at today's Challenges. I was hoping for something - anything - Firefight related so as to send the Limited playlist off with. Gonna miss this playlist badly.

Lead Based Paint said:
- Since were on the story,
WHY THE FUCK DID THE PILOT FLY INTO THE GODDAM "ELECTRIC FIELD" IF HE KNEW IT WAS AN ELECTRIC FIELD?
I have an extended rant about the cinematics in this game brewing - most of them make no sense at all. And that's one of them. Every one in Tip of the Spear left me dumbfounded.

You know why Reach fell? The opening cinematic of Tip of the Spear illustrates why. There's a line of Scorpion tanks charging against a pack of Ghosts and Banshees. Tanks beat everything; the Covenant ground forces are screwed. But the cinematic shows the Warthogs and a Mongoose racing out ahead of the tanks, which are not seen again in the rest of the cinematic or mission.

They sent the dude on the back of the Mongoose with an AR out in front of the Scorpion firing line. That, in a sentence, is why Reach fell.

wwm0nkey

I know there is a bunch of Bungie thrashing on this page right now but I really have to ask....what the fuck happened to objectives after Halo 2? I loved to play EVERY objective game in Halo 2 and could at least play them in Halo 3, but Reach....nope.

Damnit Microsoft why did you have to shut down the original Xbox servers :(

I still like Reach, but some things need to be fixed besides adding stuff to the playlists.

ShinAmano

Lead Based Paint said:
- Why does a pistol decrease in accuracy so fast? Its a fucking pistol in the hands of a super fucking soldier with fucking power armor.
Lol...Yeah I always though it was funny that any gun had kickback or loss of accuracy in a Spartans hands...they are strong enough to flip a tank but cant handle a little kickback.

GhaleonEB said:
Every time I think of a possible title update, I think about how the Revenant was excluded from the Noble map pack entirely rather than fix the bug.

Kinda bummed at today's Challenges. I was hoping for something - anything - Firefight related so send the Limited playlist off with. Gonna miss this playlist badly.

I have an extended rant about the cinematics in this game - most of them make no sense at all. And that's one of them. Every one in Tip of the Spear left me dumbfounded.

You know why Reach fell? The opening cinematic of Tip of the Spear illustrates why. There's a line of Scorpion tanks charging against a pack of Ghosts and Banshees. Tanks beat everything; the Covenant ground forces are screwed. But the cinematic shows the Warthogs and a Mongoose racing out ahead of the tanks, which are not seen again in the rest of the cinematic or mission.

They sent the dude on the Mongoose with an AR out in front of the Scorpion firing line. That, in a sentence, is why Reach fell.

Thats the kind of mentality that gets me most. Its the same with theatre mode because it sort of broke when groups tried to watch video clips, they took the whole group aspect out!

I understand that Bungie don't want people to see glitches and things break, its bad for professionalism but I mean its pathetic that they wont let us use the Reverant. Or go into theatre with friends to watch full game videos. After all on most maps the Reverent works fine.

Surely with the theatre thing they could have just stopped groups going in to watch clips? Even just leaving it as it was in Halo 3 is better than not having it at all. Once you come across the glitch once you learn to just stick to watching full films.

Again, I understand that Bungie wants to have a robust piece of software, and don't want to annoy people who encounter bugs, but considering when you weigh things out the majority suffers this way, I feel they made the wrong decision.

zam

I used to love Team Objective in Halo 2 and Halo 3, 1 Flag, Multi Flag, Classic CTF, Neutral Flag, 1 Bomb Assault, Neutral Bomb. Especially on maps like Zanzibar that were made for 1 Flag or 1 Bomb.

Now when I go into Objective in Reach it's Stockpile, Stockpile, Stockpile, Headhunter and maybe once in 5 or 10 games.. And if it is 1 Flag (once in a blue moon), it's on a map that hasn't been designed for 1 Flag like High Ground or Zanzibar.

I am going to recall the bulk of my rage directed at Bungie under the guise that time constraints and deadlines ultimately ruined this game for me.

Anything to explain it really, since Bungie themselves won't tell me(us).

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
I still dont doubt if Bungie wanted too they could give us these options in a patch, if it cant fit on the 4MB auto update, just release a bigger update on the marketplace.
I don't believe they have to go through Microsoft's auto update system anymore, and can just directly update their files and have people connect to them when they go on live. They already have made some changes

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
I don't believe they have to go through Microsoft's auto update system anymore, and can just directly update their files and have people connect to them when they go on live. They already have made some changes
Well I mean like adding an option for custom games would probably requite an update.

Bloom: On-Off
Fall Damage: On-Off

I know they could remove these for matchmaking and things like that, but would also LOVE the option to be able to edit any game like that via custom games.

feel

definitely not the best time to have the spotlight shining on us :lol

not that there's ever a good time

quick, someone do a campaign picture story

I have a random question, does anyone know how much of FASA, the one that put out the Xbox/PC new game, was actually a part of the company who worked on the game for SNES and Sega also?

What I mean is there was such a gap of time there. It seems like none of those people (that made the SNES and Sega game) would have let the whole no campaign thing just slide...

11000cR
That's Dedication, Holmes
Complete 77 games in multiplayer Matchmaking this week.

1200cR
Fourth Horseman
Earn 6 multikills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

1200cR
No 'I' in Team
Earn 6 assists in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

3000cR
T-Hug It Out
Kill 15 enemies with close quarters combat in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

1000cR
Explosive Ordnance Distribution
Earn 5 kills with ordnance weapons in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Keep montage links coming

Lead Based Paint said:
*Remembers how sudden death was done right. HOW IS IT SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME WHEN THE GAME WILL END REGARDLESS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDAAdI1r88M&hd=1 , 1 day we can hope their game will work right...

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
definitely not the best time to have the spotlight shining on us :lol

not that there's ever a good time

quick, someone do a campaign picture story
If anything it will show Bungie the community wants changes done.

Still love Bungie and have full faith in their new game...but PLEASE change this one up a bit before that game.

wwm0nkey said:
If anything it will show Bungie the community wants changes done.

Still love Bungie and have full faith in their new game...but PLEASE change this one up a bit before that game.

Bungie have shown they are ahead of the curve. Matchmaking/ web stats/ theatre mode/ forge etc etc

That said, in terms of gameplay im not sure they still cater to the type of gameplay I personally enjoy. Even Reach didnt really add anything truly innovative, but then again I get the feeling that they hit a glass ceiling with what they could do with Halo. Still they chose the worst time to screw the pooch.

So im interested in theyre next project to see what interesting stuff they bring to the table. However from a gameplay perspective im not holding out much hope. Especially considering we dont even know what type of game they are making. They could make the best MMORPG in the world, but I wouldnt play it as I dont enjoy that type of game.

I will say though, that as much a I dont think Reach is as good as Halo should be, its a good game, and no doubt they will do REALLY well with theyre next project. Im just saying they cant be as comfortable as they where with Halo - where they knew they had a huge existing fanbase.

So I agree, I hope they realize this and cater to theyre current fans, rather than jump ship and move onto the next big thing. Hopefully a map pack or 2 will help the game.

Hey You

Hey Bungie wanted to try something different for their last halo game.

I don't blame them for trying new things. Sure they've made some mistakes along the way.

Top Bottom