• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

ElRenoRaven

Presco said:
Speaking of Halo 2 multiplayer, any Halo 2 Vista owners in here? I reinstalled it on my new rig last week and played multi all weekend. Would love to hop on with a few more people. The maps in this game are incredible. I didn't own an OG xbox so I didn't play a ton of Halo 2 online. God this game is good.

Yea I have it. It would be fun to get at least 4 of us together on it to get some of the multiplayer achievements on it.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Related note: I hit General last night. w00t

No worries. Damn time zones. I'd get on earlier, but my in-laws are arriving tonight.
Wow, you're ranking up at a faster rate than I was, and you don't even play mp. I've pretty much stopped playing the vidya recently so I've been at General G3 for a while.
I'll be able to play up to 7 or so your time during the week. How long is the playlist going to stay up? I should probably go play one round and save the gametype.

Presco

wwm0nkey said:
When I get a wired 360 controller I will get back one, game suck with KB+M

Yeah, Halo is a weird game to play with KB+M. It's how I played the original Halo for the first time back in 2004 and it didn't leave a great impression. I tried running around Lockout on my own with the KB+M and it felt ok but as soon as I was in a gun fight I had to go back to the wired controller. I think the nature of the combat with the drawn out encounters lends itself well to the controller whereas quicker paced games work great with KB+M. But then there's Crysis 2, so maybe that argument doesn't work.

Anyways, for the new page...who wants to play Halo 2 Vista with me??

LosDaddie said:
I'd move Armor Lock to BTB and that's about it.
This, and I'd throw ALL slayer types (except big team slayer) into the Arena. The Arena should be synonymous with slayer.

And make a BTB playlist based upon bombs and flags only, with a heavy vehicle focus (plus AL). Put slayer types and oddball stuff into separate playlists for all game modes.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Wow, you're ranking up at a faster rate than I was, and you don't even play mp. I've pretty much stopped playing the vidya recently so I've been at General G3 for a while.

I'll be able to play up to 7 or so your time during the week. How long is the playlist going to stay up? I should probably go play one round and save the gametype.
Yeah Firefight games are pretty generous in payouts. The Limited playlist has been giving me around about 4,000 cR per game when they run for most of their duration, and 5,000 when everyone drops out and I can romp solo. I regularly get over 1,000 from Commendations alone, plus ~2,500 game complete bonus. Works out to around 10,000 cR per hour even when games run short, and that's without Challenges. Most of the time when I do play MP, it's to knock off some low-hanging Challenges (like tonight, I'll romp a couple Grifball games).

Firefight Limited goes down tomorrow, which is why I'm playing the hell out of it tonight. Will be a fond farewell.
Nutter said:
So you do not see any problem with drop shield in objective gametypes?

There are so many things wrong i hardly argue about them. Though i think if they made the dmr and pistol both 4 shot kill, it would "alleviate" the rest of the bs in the game. But how likely is that too happen? Well same chance as armor lock going away. I do understand why some of you like the game but honestly its because you do not play the as much or perhaps you play campaign and firefight and not tons of matchmaking.. I love the campaign it was an awesome experience however mp did not need shadowrun infused in it. People played halo 2 and halo 3 for years because of mp not campaign or firefight.
Ayup.

Nutter

LosDaddie said:
I'd move Armor Lock to BTB and that's about it.

There are so many things wrong i hardly argue about them. Though i think if they made the dmr and pistol both 4 shot kill, it would "alleviate" the rest of the bs in the game. But how likely is that too happen? Well same chance as armor lock going away. I do understand why some of you like the game but honestly its because you do not play the as much or perhaps you play campaign and firefight and not tons of matchmaking.. I love the campaign it was an awesome experience however mp did not need shadowrun infused in it. People played halo 2 and halo 3 for years because of mp not campaign or firefight.

Gui_PT

Nutter said:

This.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
And I like that. I've said it before that if this was Halo 3 again I would be done with Halo. They needed to make changes. The problem is that what they did often feels half assed. Just look at Invasion. It's a fucking joke. Headhunter? It's terrible. I seem to be one of the few that like Stockpile although I've rarely gotten a chance to play it since the beta.
Precisely. If this was a Halo 3 clone with a new coat of paint, few new weapon variations, and new maps, I wouldn't be playing it today, even if its campaign and Firefight modes were strong. I got tired of that as it is and needed something different. As for your last point, I think Bungie tries to force their new ideas and gametypes down our throats too often. Invasion aside because that's a whole playlist itself, BTB is jam packed with Headhunter and Stockpile. They show up far, far more often than CTF and Assault is nowhere to be found. What gives? CTF and Assault are Halo's skirmish masterpieces. Not Headhunter, VIP, or Stockpile.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nutter said:

There are so many things wrong i hardly argue about them. Though i think if they made the dmr and pistol both 4 shot kill, it would "alleviate" the rest of the bs in the game. But how likely is that too happen? Well same chance as armor lock going away. I do understand why some of you like the game but honestly its because you do not play the as much or perhaps you play campaign and firefight and not tons of matchmaking...

I actually play MM far more than campaign or firefight. (I don't play campaign anymore (since my solo Legendary run), but I'll play FF for the challenges)

But I rarely play the Objective playlist. I mainly stick TS, Invasion, Multi-team and Noble DLC playlists. So I don't know how disruptive Drop Shield is on the OBjective playlist, but AL can be frustrating in the playlists I play. Not frustrating enough for me to hate the MP though. I probably play the game 4-5x a week and generally have a great time.

Falagard

They needed to make some changes from the formula, certainly. I didn't want another Halo 3 either.

I don't have a problem with armor abilities, I think they were a great idea, but needed more tuning to be made fun in multiplayer.

I don't think the game can be made awesome with just playlist changes, it needs a Title Update. It can be made more fun with playlist changes though, that's for sure.

Halo Reach's multiplayer was so close to being awesome - but it missed. Some tweaks could fix the problems and make Reach the game I keep playing for the next couple years, but I don't believe they're coming.

The fact that I don't think we're going to see a Title Update for this game means that I lose my optimism for the game and am discouraged from playing it altogether. I still play it, but I get very frustrated playing with randoms, much more so than previously games, and I often feel like rage quitting at the end of the night.

I dont think its fair to dismiss Reach because of a lack of Title Update. The guys at Bungie seem to be able to work magic and have managed to change a ton of stuff (including HUD elements) without a title update.

Im just hoping for more of the incremental updates that potentially improve the game. Sure something as big as removing bloom would probably need a TU, but that's never going to happen lol.

Falagard

bobs99 ... said:
I dont think its fair to dismiss Reach because of a lack of Title Update. The guys at Bungie seem to be able to work magic and have managed to change a ton of stuff (including HUD elements) without a title update.

Im just hoping for more of the incremental updates that potentially improve the game. Sure something as big as removing bloom would probably need a TU, but that's never going to happen lol.

The only things they can change without a Title Update are tunable settings that they anticipated before releasing the game and that are part of the map, playlist, or game variant.

The type of changes most people want to see are probably far outside the realm of what can be done with changing those minor variables.

My cheat code to enjoying Reach is playing SWAT. No garbage grenades problems, no garbage AL, no garbage bubble shield on objectives, the list could go on and on.

Bubble shield on objectives is disgusting, though. Finally played a match of that after a long time with Nutters and Danni and my god man, they just throw down two to three bubbles on one flag...it's retarded. The bastards then just sit in the endless bubbles with a shotgun...so fun going for the flag when that happens. I'm starting to buy more and more into the concept that Bungie doesn't play their own game because I cannot fathom how anyone could make this mistake. I don't even understand it on a conceptual level, you shouldn't even have to play it to understand how this was a bad idea.

Cocop and Voc played last night = 343 will actually play their games confirmed. Sorry about leaving you guys last night, turns out it was me rather than Cocop that lagged out after map load failures (not sure why) and then you guys were in the match so I just played some SWAT to get that last stretch of cR for the promotion.

Falagard said:
The only things they can change without a Title Update are tunable settings that they anticipated before releasing the game and that are part of the map, playlist, or game variant.

The type of changes most people want to see are probably far outside the realm of what can be done with changing those minor variables.

Going by Fyrewulffs post on HBO:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1048888

They can do a fair amount of stuff without a TU, im quite interested in seeing how the new powerup camo works. Powerups on the maps might actually work quite well now.

wwm0nkey

Apparently besides the camo going back to actually being good, these things happened as well.

Bungie's Patches to MM

Territories
* Territory capture rate is now modified by the number of attackers in the territory. One attacker will capture at 100% of the normal rate. Two attackers will capture at 200% of the normal rate. Three or more attackers will capture at 400% of the normal rate.

Oddball
* In Hot Potato, clients will now see the full bomb explosion effect.

Invasion: Breakpoint
* Players can no longer disarm the bomb while using Armor Lock.

Rocket Race
* Motion Tracker is now Enabled
* Hud-widget for KPH is now in the bottom center

Powerups
* In gametypes built from the latest matchmaking variants, powerups should now function as they do in Forge
* You'll need to save off the latest game variants from your temporary history to take advantage of this!

CTF
* Sudden death will now trigger if flag is away from home and attacker is nearby flag at round end
* Dead bodies will no longer trigger the sudden death timer for nearby enemy flags

King of the Hill
* Teams are now always able to correctly score points
* Players standing in the hill no longer receive extra points upon returning from a host migration.

Rocket Race
* Players now attached to vehicles after being on foot for 10 seconds
* Flipped vehicles will be detected to prevent players from attaching to a non-upright vehicle
* Added functionality for tracking and reporting rotations
* Fountain of Mongeese should no longer be possible (don't ask)
* Players are no longer able to jack another teams Mongoose
* Players are no longer forced into a specific role of driver or gunner
* All players start with a Rocket Launcher
* Players move at 50% speed, do significantly reduced damage and are marked with a nav icon
* Players on foot are now able to score points in Rocket Race

Juggernaut
* The Juggernaut no longer sees other players as allies upon returning from a host migration
* New clients after a host migration will no longer lose their Juggernaut status

Territories
* All teams now have separate capture timers for each territory
* Locked territories will no longer prevent players from using equipment
* The flag in the territory is now attached if the territory is a flag stand object
* Added a HUD_Widget to display contested status to players inside a territory
* The progress bar for a territory will now show as full when that territory is being contested (capture progress is saved and will appear again once the territory is no longer contested)
* Random flag clothes will no longer disappear after a round transition

Oddball
* Bombs in Hot Potato now properly report carry time
* Multiple hot potato bombs will no longer spawn in the same location
* The carry time reported stat will now always be correct after a host migration has occurred
* Players carrying the oddball during a host migration will no longer receive extra points

Stockpile
* All stockpile flags are now attached to their spawn location if it is a flag stand

Invasion
* The game score is now set per frame tick based off of the current phase
* A failsafe game end timer has been added to catch any possible bad cases of Invasion games not ending properly

Invasion: Boneyard
* The core will now reset whenever it is thrown through a shield door into a spawning location in Phase 3

Race
* Players who die before the first checkpoint will no longer spawn in a random location on the map

wwm0nkey said:
To end all the Halo Reach bad talk for a bit im just going to leave this here

LINK

Bungie, some people in the community love you lol
Sweet mother of mercy. That was awesome.

And Mothergoat is a genius. That music is the best part of the video.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
wwm0nkey said:
To end all the Halo Reach bad talk for a bit im just going to leave this here

LINK

Bungie, some people in the community love you lol
That, song, what is the name of that song?

godhandiscen

wwm0nkey said:
It now works like Halo 1,2 and 3.
Wait, you can move fast and still be in camo mode?

That would be quite the improvement. Hopefully they tweak Armor Lock next.

Am I right in thinking that they only changed the powerup Camo? And not the armour ability camo?

If they changed the armour ability camo, that would be insane, it would literally be game changing (and overpowered).

Gui_PT said:
So wait...

Reasons 1-4 are bitching about things they changed.

Reason 5 is that "feels like more of the same"

Derp

Edit: Oh he apologizes for the contradiction yet keeps the article as is. Double derp
Double derp indeed.

It's the natural state of things for a new Halo title to get bashed, it seems. I recall people being up in arms about the changes made from Halo to Halo 2, and yet a lot of people are now happily reminiscing "the good old days". Reach is by no means perfect (though, as I've stated before, my problems with it are more because of its story than because of its gameplay), but I have no doubt Halo fans 7 years from now will be bitching about 343's "Halo 6" or whatever, and with a tear in their eye remember the good times they had in Reach.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Is today Reach bashing day or something? The Examiner has an article on it today.

Just started reading, but this is a bad sign:

Sales also weren't as high as other games in the franchise. According to ********, Reach sold 7.69 million copies. This is by no means a low number, but when you compare it to the 11.36 million Halo 3 sold, it seems that Reach fell a bit short. After all, that's nearly 4 million Halo fans that elected to pass on Reach.​
1) Citing VGCartz = lulz
2) That's three years of Halo 3 sales to four months of Reach. On a month to month basis, Reach is a couple hundred thousand behind.

Edit:

Reach also seems to suffer from a player retention problem as it quickly fell to third place on the Xbox LIVE Activity Charts. Many of the ranked playlists are sparsely populated. At the time of this writing there are less than 1,000 players in Team Arena and barely even 100 in Team FFA.​
This is not going well for the author. Reach's ranking has more to do with CoD's rise than Halo's fall, and citing the lowest population playlists as a data point on the player base? Embarassing.

To salvage any semblance of competitive play in Reach, Major League Gaming had to remove all armor abilities except for sprint from the Pro Circuit. Maybe Bungie could create a playlist similar to Barebones in Black Ops where there are no armor abilities?​
Such as the MLG playlist?

I don't read the Examiner, and the article isn't exactly beggine me to continue doing so.

godhandiscen

I love Reach, but my friends moved on from Reach to StarCraft 2 and other games. Playing with people I barely know is never the same. By Christmas 2007 I had played about 1000 games of Halo 3, but now I am struggling to get past 300 games of Halo Reach because I don't enjoy the game without close friends. I consider Reach to be superior to Halo 3, but I cannot ignore my friends' complaints. They tell me that Reach doesn't feel like it should, and have mentioned many of the reasons of some posters in this thread. I really hate this situation, and cannot wait for 343's game, it's a long shot, but I hope 343's game fixes these issues people have, and I can enjoy a Halo game with my friends again.

Well according to Deep NNN on HBO, in March 2008 Halo 3 was doing slightly better than Reach is doing now.

- http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1048729

He didnt actually post comparison numbers, but if hes correct, Halo 3 actually was faring better than Reach.
Until the map pack or other changes are made I expect that trend to continue - I hate to say it, but while that article got a lot of things wrong, I agree with the fact that most of the additions 'just seem to be there to annoy players'.

First - delineate your important communities. ForgeHub, SA, GAF, TTL, MLG, HaloCharts, Grifball, Bnet, etc and have people from those communities debate & compile a list of the best custom maps they're playing. Limit the list to 10. Go to SurveyMonkey, generate a private poll for each set of maps these communities present. Have those respective communities play their top 10 maps and then vote on the best 2 out of those 10. When all your top communities have done this, take those 14-16 tip top maps and play them at Bungie. This is the first real piece of work you will have to do. Separate Community into Community Pro and Community Social. Take the inevitable arena style competitive maps from MLG, SA or HaloCharts and, if after playing they look good, put them in Community Pro. Take the best fun and exciting maps from the more laid back communities and place them in Social. Make it all Slayer only to start and then have your communities work on finding the best objective gametypes for the maps. If people here or at SA or wherever knew that 2 maps they picked had a very real chance of making it into the playlists you would see huge participation.

You have now, using minimal time and resources taken a small step that improves the Community playlists exponentially and requires less work on Bungie's end. This is such a better way of doing things than trying to sort through mountains of maps by yourself. That didn't work for Shishka and it's not working now.

Except for the hard delimitation of numbers, and dividing the playlists into social and Pro, that's exactly what bungie is doing with community cartographers.

bobs99 ... said:
Well according to Deep NNN on HBO, in March 2008 Halo 3 was doing slightly better than Reach is doing now.

- http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1048729

He didnt actually post comparison numbers, but if hes correct, Halo 3 actually was faring better than Reach.
Until the map pack or other changes are made I expect that trend to continue - I hate to say it, but while that article got a lot of things wrong, I agree with the fact that most of the additions 'just seem to be there to annoy players'.

Hmm, sounds like I'm wrong about player count being higher, but right in that it's at least right along the numbers, and not the crazy drop off like some people around here are claiming.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Can someone point me to the specific location of mentioned "brilliant" forged maps?

The Cartographers has their nets cast wide but if there's a substantial amount of properly brilliant maps going unnoticed, the best thing would be to bring them to light. Everyone wants to see the best community maps where they belong, so if you think you've found a gem, post about it and give it some attention.

I'm confident in the quality of maps currently going their paces. The bar is high.

Top Bottom