• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey

Hey You said:
Hey Bungie wanted to try something different for their last halo game.

I don't blame them for trying new things. Sure they've made some mistakes along the way.
Again Reach isnt a bad game by any means but it needs some fixes.

kylej

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Bungie have shown they are ahead of the curve. Matchmaking/ web stats/ theatre mode/ forge etc etc.

Uh, they were ever so slightly ahead of the curve at Halo 3's release. Pretty much every thing they've done has been improved upon by someone else.

Lead Based Paint that was a good post. I too find the disconnect between final product and development startling. Bungie has tons and tons and tons of manpower and money and time to make a game, and it's always underwhelming. Halo 2's campaign as a distaster, Halo 3's was middling and ODST sucked. Meanwhile despite more time and more hype and more money the multiplayer has been weaker and weaker since 2.

I just don't get how I can play Assassin's Creed Brotherhood -- a game that was in development for roughly a year -- and play a 16-20 hour single player campaign and an all new multiplayer mode designed from the ground up during that stretch (that also manages to have more maps at launch than Reach). Yet after 3 years and an unlimited budget we get another 4 hour campaign and mediocre multiplayer offering from Bungie. And this time major parts of the campaign are just reused multiplayer assets. Forge is practically the same as Halo 3 as is Theather mode. What?

And again, we get nothing in the weekly updates. No hint of a title update, no hint of major playlist tweaks, no transparency involving anything in the community yet kids like Dax still get weepy when that Love, Bungie shit pops up again and again.

Since I don't have the time to completely dismantle every bewildering decision and since we're in the "Community Spotlight" I'll throw up my suggestions for the Community playlists. I would love to offer suggestions to improve upon just about every aspect of the game but after years of pissing in the wind why bother.

First - delineate your important communities. ForgeHub, SA, GAF, TTL, MLG, HaloCharts, Grifball, Bnet, etc and have people from those communities debate & compile a list of the best custom maps they're playing. Limit the list to 10. Go to SurveyMonkey, generate a private poll for each set of maps these communities present. Have those respective communities play their top 10 maps and then vote on the best 2 out of those 10. When all your top communities have done this, take those 14-16 tip top maps and play them at Bungie. This is the first real piece of work you will have to do. Separate Community into Community Pro and Community Social. Take the inevitable arena style competitive maps from MLG, SA or HaloCharts and, if after playing they look good, put them in Community Pro. Take the best fun and exciting maps from the more laid back communities and place them in Social. Make it all Slayer only to start and then have your communities work on finding the best objective gametypes for the maps. If people here or at SA or wherever knew that 2 maps they picked had a very real chance of making it into the playlists you would see huge participation.

You have now, using minimal time and resources taken a small step that improves the Community playlists exponentially and requires less work on Bungie's end. This is such a better way of doing things than trying to sort through mountains of maps by yourself. That didn't work for Shishka and it's not working now.

wwm0nkey

kylej said:
Uh, they were ever so slightly ahead of the curve at Halo 3's release. Pretty much every thing they've done has been improved upon by someone else.

Lead Based Paint that was a good post. I too find the disconnect between final product and development startling. Bungie has tons and tons and tons of manpower and money and time to make a game, and it's always underwhelming. Halo 2's campaign as a distaster, Halo 3's was middling and ODST sucked. Meanwhile despite more time and more hype and more money the multiplayer has been weaker and weaker since 2.

I just don't get how I can play Assassin's Creed Brotherhood -- a game that was in development for roughly a year -- and play a 16-20 hour single player campaign and an all new multiplayer mode designed from the ground up during that stretch (that also manages to have more maps at launch than Reach). Yet after 3 years and an unlimited budget we get another 4 hour campaign and mediocre multiplayer offering from Bungie. And this time major parts of the campaign are just reused multiplayer assets. Forge is practically the same as Halo 3 as is Theather mode. What?

And again, we get nothing in the weekly updates. No hint of a title update, no hint of major playlist tweaks, no transparency involving anything in the community yet kids like Dax still get weepy when that Love, Bungie shit pops up again and again.

Since I don't have the time to completely dismantle every bewildering decision and since we're in the "Community Spotlight" I'll throw up my suggestions for the Community playlists. I would love to offer suggestions to improve upon just about every aspect of the game but after years of pissing in the wind why bother.

First - delineate your important communities. ForgeHub, SA, GAF, TTL, MLG, HaloCharts, Grifball, Bnet, etc and have people from those communities debate & compile a list of the best custom maps they're playing. Limit the list to 10. Go to SurveyMonkey, generate a private poll for each set of maps these communities present. Have those respective communities play their top 10 maps and then vote on the best 2 out of those 10. When all your top communities have done this, take those 14-16 tip top maps and play them at Bungie. This is the first real piece of work you will have to do. Separate Community into Community Pro and Community Social. Take the inevitable arena style competitive maps from MLG, SA or HaloCharts and, if after playing they look good, put them in Community Pro. Take the best fun and exciting maps from the more laid back communities and place them in Social. Make it all Slayer only to start and then have your communities work on finding the best objective gametypes for the maps. If people here or at SA or wherever knew that 2 maps they picked had a very real chance of making it into the playlists you would see huge participation.

You have now, using minimal time and resources taken a small step that improves the Community playlists exponentially and requires less work on Bungie's end. This is such a better way of doing things than trying to sort through mountains of maps by yourself. That didn't work for Shishka and it's not working now.
Makes A LOT of sense.

Hey You

kylej said:
I'm pretty sure multiple Devs worked on Brotherhood, not just one.

Didn't urk mention some pretty big Playist updates in February and March in last weeks Weekly Update?

Kuroyume

Banned
Lead Based Paint said:
- Why does a pistol decrease in accuracy so fast? Its a fucking pistol in the hands of a super fucking soldier with fucking power armor.

Well that's kind of silly reasoning... But, it all comes down to this: How else are people with ARs going to be able to kill you? The pistol was great in the beta even with bloom. So, what does Bungie do? They beef up the AR which already pretty strong and then they slow down the rate of fire on the pistol all while keeping its bloom and low clip count. Seriously? Like, what the hell? Have to like the slow ass reload animation too so some dude with an AR can keep shooting for like the 15 seconds it takes for you to reload a pistol.

Hey You said:
Hey Bungie wanted to try something different for their last halo game.

I don't blame them for trying new things. Sure they've made some mistakes along the way.

And I like that. I've said it before that if this was Halo 3 again I would be done with Halo. They needed to make changes. The problem is that what they did often feels half assed. Just look at Invasion. It's a fucking joke. Headhunter? It's terrible. I seem to be one of the few that like Stockpile although I've rarely gotten a chance to play it since the beta.

kylej said:

Aren't they kinda doing that with the Community Cartograhpers group anyway?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Actually theater mode is worse than it was in Halo 3.

What if there were major issues with the project at Bungie but it never leaked out. You always hear about troubled projects and studios.

Edit: this makes it sound like the game is broken or something. Not intended. I love Reach but the whole package doesn't feel like cohesive. Some parts don't feel like they're on the same page.

Holy last page and a half, Batman! If you're going to complain about something, please don't do so about something Bungie won't change (i.e., bloom).

Some of you need to play more Firefight.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
Holy last page and a half, Batman! If you're going to complain about something, please don't do so about something Bungie won't change (i.e., bloom).

They might not change it but they COULD and probably SHOULD give us the option to turn it off in custom games.

Can't play too much firefight before it starts to get boring :(

wwm0nkey said:
They might not change it but they COULD and probably SHOULD give us the option to turn it off in custom games.

Can't play too much firefight before it starts to get boring :(
They're not going to do that either, so you may as well stop asking for that too. That level of customization has never been in a Halo game before, and Bungie has never updated a Halo game to make it more customizable.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
They're not going to do that either, so you may as well stop asking for that too. That level of customization has never been in a Halo game before, and Bungie has never updated a Halo game to make it more customizable.
:(

Dax01 said:

Im more of a multiplayer kind of guy. :(

Dax01 said:

If you can get in pointless AR debates, then we can talk about this.

Also, your avatar makes me want to punch it in the face.

Dax01 said:
And I think I've struck a nerve.

How is talking about your avatar related to you as a poster? Dax nothing you do or say makes me visibly or invisibly bothered so I would say that yours and tashi's post are a tad below the belt.

Magni

This thread is back in Gaming (probably days late now) ?

Anyways I'm 360-less all term, that's what happens when you move around for your studies, but I'll play a week non-stop as soon as I get back to France :D

See you guys in September =)

So HaloGaf waits until she models a short skirt in front of the rest of Neogaf to forget her tampons. Real smooth you guys.

Such hatred for a game. Armor abilities aren't all that different from Halo 3's equipment after all. But hey, let's all blame Sage for this. He ruined my Halo and now I have to wait for 343 to build a game out of the ashes of this one.... I sure as hell didn't want Halo 3: Part II. I wanted a fresh Halo experience whic is exactly what I got. Sure there are some rough edges but when you are scrutinising Reach to your ideal Halo experience of yesteryear you tend to lose sight of what Bungie were trying to do.

That's not to say I don't agree with some of your points. I think it's only a matter of time before Marcus says something like, "We didn't have nearly enough resources to handle the project with the deadline we were given".

Just... don't all get so... maaaaad :p

Devin Olsen said:
Ah shit... It honestly kills me a little to play Griffball :(

But credits are credits I suppose.

Dont do it! Fun before Credits! The daily isnt really worth all that much anyway. That said I actually had fun when I tried Grifball on Reach.

Hydraknockz, that analogy was awesome. To be fair most of NeoGaf isnt going to venture in here until a map pack/ new Halo game is announced.

GhaleonEB

Despite the griefing that the shared pool of lives brings, I'm really going to miss Firefight Limited (suggestion: call it Firefight Survival when it comes back).

So far it's the only Firefight game type to hit matchmaking where death has a real consequence, and a palpable sense of tension when a crazy wave hits.

I had a game last night where it was me and done dude (who wasn't all that great) on Beachhead when the five-pack of Elite Ultras landed during an Elite General wave. Oh, and there were also two Wraiths shelling us.

We pulled it out, somehow, with the Ultras literally chasing us across the entire map, around the right side and under the bridge to one of the Wraiths.

And earlier today, I had a game where it was me and one dude who decided to suicide to drain all the lives, then quit leaving me with none. It was on Corvette, so I turtle up and make it to the second Round boss wave. The first Round boss wave saw four gold Elite Generals storm the safe room at once, when I had zero lives still, and I pulled it off. Shit was intense.

I'm going to miss that when it goes. Arcade will scratch a certain itch, but there's nothing like this elsewhere in matchmaking. Hopefully it returns in short order with everyone granted their own pool of lives. I've been playing this non-stop since it came up, and I'd probably do so were it made permanent.
Kibbles said:
Ugh, I hope the 343 game isn't kinect Halo. >_> I wouldn't mind optional controls if it weren't for the fact that Kinect takes up resources on the 360 that could be used elsewhere.
This is Microsoft, "the future is all about Kinect", making the next game in their biggest franchise. Seems natural it will be Kinect-enabled, as a way to bridge this group of hardcore players to the device. I just hope it's not intrusive. But the hit to the overall performance is an issue I hadn't considered. Ug.

Of course, I'll probably have one by the time that hits (getting it for my daughter's birthday in April).

Kibbles

wwm0nkey said:
This was on the Kinect SSX thread but....

Kinecthalo.com is owned by Microsoft :(

It better only be head tracking.
Ugh, I hope the 343 game isn't kinect Halo. >_> I wouldn't mind optional controls if it weren't for the fact that Kinect takes up resources on the 360 that could be used elsewhere.

wwm0nkey

Kibbles said:
Well when I was talking to Corrinne Yu (343 engine designer) about this Kinect idea I had she seemed to bring up head tracking out of the blue which was never brought up, not really taking that as a sign or anything but I at least hope the new Halo has the option for head tracking. Also head tracking would take a very minimal amount of processing power.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
firefight limited talk
Anyone interested in getting a party together for that before it disappears? I have great memories of GAF ODST parties

I haven't gone in yet for fear of randoms.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
This statement is VERIFIABLY INCORRECT

Yes yes it is. I can honestly say I've loved every game's singleplayer minus a few nitpicks here and there. Those namely being Halo 2's abrupt ending which could have easily been fixed by leaving off the Master Chief part of it, and the tag long invincible AI's introduced after Halo 2.

Other then that I love the levels and storylines in them. I even love the most hated levels in them. Those namely being The Library and Cortana.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Anyone interested in getting a party together for that before it disappears? I have great memories of GAF ODST parties

I haven't gone in yet for fear of randoms.
I'll be on as of around 8:00 PM pacific time, and will play until way too damn late. GT GhaleonEB
PsychoRaven said:
Yes yes it is. I can honestly say I've loved every game's singleplayer minus a few nitpicks here and there. Those namely being Halo 2's abrupt ending which could have easily been fixed by leaving off the Master Chief part of it, and the tag long invincible AI's introduced after Halo 2.

Other then that I love the levels and storylines in them. I even love the most hated levels in them. Those namely being The Library and Cortana.
Agree. I've enjoyed all of the campaigns a great deal, and appreciate that they're all very different from one another. In particular, I love the story and overall world building in Halo 2 so much; I think it's the most strongly written game. A huge amount of character work, and no "To war," moments to spoil it.
LosDaddie said:
Bungie,

There are some of us on GAF who really enjoy Reach. :)

Thank you for another stellar Halo game. :)
It's funny. Most of the complaints about Reach are about multiplayer. And I spend most of my time in Firefight, Forge and Campaign. There's so much I want to do in it, I often have to prioritize what to play. (This weekend was spent alternating Firefight Limited with finishing up the design of a Forge map). Reach is pretty incredible, even if you cut out an entire, primary game mode. To me, MP is a side dish to a fantastic meal.

It's not perfect, but nothing is, especially something as ambitious as Reach.

wwm0nkey

LosDaddie said:
Bungie,

Again not a bad game and I still think my Legendary Edition was worth it, I would enjoy some changes though :)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
I will complain about bloom even after Halo 4 gets announced and I'll be complaining until I'm playing Halo 4.

BELIEVE.
Hydranockz said:
That's not to say I don't agree with some of your points. I think it's only a matter of time before Marcus says something like, "We didn't have nearly enough resources to handle the project with the deadline we were given".
Bullshit Bungie has a metric fuckton of staff, so much so they had to move out of their studio and into a new one.

GhaleonEB said:
It's funny. Most of the complaints about Reach are about multiplayer. And I spend most of my time in Firefight, Forge and Campaign. There's so much I want to do in it, I often have to prioritize what to play. (This weekend was spent alternating Firefight Limited with finishing up the design of a Forge map). Reach is pretty incredible, even if you cut out an entire, primary game mode. To me, MP is a side dish to a fantastic meal.

I had a LAN over the weekend, and we happened to play a lot of classic Halo gametypes. Basically no AA, tweaked settings to simulate Halo 2/3's general feel. It pushed Reach to a whole new level. It felt SO good.

Like putting on a pair of really comfortable trainers. If that Classic Playlist ever comes to light, that's where I'll be spending all my time.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:

I think the problem is that there are many of us who put a much higher priority on the multiplayer portion of Halo rather than Campaign and Firefight (and I tend to think that after the first few months of a Halo launch, the majority of people are playing MP rather than re-playing Campaign or Firefight).

And sadly the MP in Reach could be awesome but it isn't.

Presco

Nutter said:
All I want 343 to do is look at Halo 2 for the MP, I do not care what they do for Single Player, but for the love of god, look at Halo 2 for all the MP design ideas.

Speaking of Halo 2 multiplayer, any Halo 2 Vista owners in here? I reinstalled it on my new rig last week and played multi all weekend. Would love to hop on with a few more people. The maps in this game are incredible. I didn't own an OG xbox so I didn't play a ton of Halo 2 online. God this game is good.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I'll be on as of around 8:00 PM pacific time, and will play until way too damn late. GT GhaleonEB
Ugh, sorry I've got to be up at 6 and don't want to be dead in the morning. That 11pm for me.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
I think the problem is that there are many of us who put a much higher priority on the multiplayer portion of Halo rather than Campaign and Firefight (and I tend to think that after the first few months of a Halo launch, the majority of people are playing MP rather than re-playing Campaign or Firefight).

And sadly the MP in Reach could be awesome but it isn't.
Right, I understand that and agree. I was actually trying to point that out, how what I play is a bit of an anomaly compared to most players. But since I like campaign, map making and love Firefight, there's still a huge amount of content that I can play quite happily. The Firefight and Campaign Co-op plalist populations are a good indication of their popularity relative to Multiplayer.

To your last comment, I agree as well. I came to realization of my precise issues with MP only recently, and it came down to how the variables in Reach are implemented, not with any one in particular (armor lock aside). I can describe clearly why each of the various modes in matchmaking don't appeal to me, especially the entire reason I play Halo multiplayer: BTB. I think the vehicle sandbox is quite weak compared to previous entries, but it still has the potential to be amazing. But it's not, due to how the playlist is configured. I just can't get myself to enjoy it, and it's maddening, since I can tell how close it is to something I would enjoy. It needs both a playlist overhaul and a title update. I don't think the latter is coming.

In the meantime, there's forging, campaign, Firefight and customs. Between that and a set of XBLIG and Arcade games, I'm probably set until Skyrim hits.

Related note: I hit General last night. w00t
MrBig said:
Ugh, sorry I've got to be up at 6 and don't want to be dead in the morning. That 11pm for me.
No worries. Damn time zones. I'd get on earlier, but my in-laws are arriving tonight.

LosDaddie said:
Bungie,

I second this. Best Halo of the bunch imho, missing only that sense of exploration and alien awe from Halo: CE. Everything else is ace.

I'd love to see changes to playlists though. Namely a retooled BTB objective hopper, amongst other things.

The gameplay is stellar (yes, including bloom and even Armor Lock) - the problem is how these things are tuned and exposed via the matchmaking playlists.

wwm0nkey

Presco said:
Speaking of Halo 2 multiplayer, any Halo 2 Vista owners in here? I reinstalled it on my new rig last week and played multi all weekend. Would love to hop on with a few more people. The maps in this game are incredible. I didn't own an OG xbox so I didn't play a ton of Halo 2 online. God this game is good.
When I get a wired 360 controller I will get back one, game suck with KB+M

Top Bottom