• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

j-wood

What is the camo powerup thing you guys are talking about? Is that different than the armor ability to go invisible? I haven't noticed any powerups in the levels...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
j-wood said:
What is the camo powerup thing you guys are talking about? Is that different than the armor ability to go invisible? I haven't noticed any powerups in the levels...
You can place a custom invisible powerup in Forge, it just doesn't appear in any of the stock maps in the game, and I don't believe any of the community ones in rotation either. But you can, and they function just like the ones in Halo 1-3.

So we all agree then that camo is the worst of the armor abilities?

I suppose unless you're standing in the back with a sniper rifle like a doof.

GhaleonEB

So there's an exploit on Courtyard people are using to sit out the entire duration of Firefight games. I posted about it on b.net, here.

Get jetpack, fly up vent, and go idle while everyone else plays. And if they die? You get to sit there the full 30 minutes while the AI is stationary and get a big game completion bonus for it.

This one took about 15 minutes to sit out.

Striker

Digital Limit said:

It serves its purpose well if you have a good, coordinated team. Otherwise it's fairly lackluster.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devin Olsen: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=458675706&player=Xenolock
IrSo5.png

Kuroyume

Banned
I use camo all the time. Obviously I'm okay with it but it makes me wonder about how they set so many things against it and then how they overpowered some of the other abilities. Let's list some of that stuff.

- Move even slightly and you're visible.
- Even when you're invisible and not moving the shield recharge will give away your position.
- The radar jam even jams your own radar.

That's nuts. Not going to complain about it because I guess even a small change could make it annoying to have it used against you.

ElRenoRaven

enzo_gt said:
Every day is a Reach bashing day in here.

Some days it really feels like it. On the topic of the numbers didn't they also change the way the number's were tracked from Halo 3 to Reach? I could swear I read that Halo 3's were over a period of time where as Reach's are currently playing numbers.

Nutter

Played a game of 1 Flag on Boardwalk, and all 8 people of the attacking team had dropshield as their armor ability.. inching their flag ever so close to scoring it.. yeah it is not broken at all.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nutter said:
Played a game of 1 Flag on Boardwalk, and all 8 people of the attacking team had dropshield as their armor ability.. inching their flag ever so close to scoring it.. yeah it is not broken at all.
Objective is broken that's why only like 900 people play it.

Striker

Why the Drop Shield is in MP in the first place is laughable. As bad as seeing Headhunter in BTB come up every voting phase and hardly seeing CTF.

Plywood said:
Is what people always say when it's the other person's fault...
...except in this case it's true. Reach is the only videogame I've played in 2011. And despite a few gripes, I think it's fantastic. I'm not far from having played half as many games of Reach since launch as I did of Halo 3 total.

But I'm just not playing videogames anymore, full stop.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shake Appeal said:
...except in this case it's true. Reach is the only videogame I've played in 2011. And despite a few gripes, I think it's fantastic. I'm not far from having played half as many games of Reach since launch as I did of Halo 3 total.

But I'm just not playing videogames anymore, full stop.
Good on you then, that is if you're replacing it with something more fulfilling and aren't swamped with work or something.

Apath

Digital Limit said:

1. Scrambled radar to alert everyone to the invisible player's presence.
2. Movement reveals you to the point where camo may as well not even be used (unless inching along).

So yeah, to get around both flaws camo is only useful when someone already knows you're there/when you're out of radar range of anyone and when standing still/moving at 1mph.

Kuroyume said:
I use camo all the time. Obviously I'm okay with it but it makes me wonder about how they set so many things against it and then how they overpowered some of the other abilities. Let's list some of that stuff.

- Move even slightly and you're visible.
- Even when you're invisible and not moving the shield recharge will give away your position.
- The radar jam even jams your own radar.

That's nuts. Not going to complain about it because I guess even a small change could make it annoying to have it used against you.
That summarizes it much better and I agree with every point.

ShinAmano

Dax01 said:
I still find camo incredibly useful...especially on maps like Sword Base.
I use it all the time in elite slayer...

I never use jetpacks. Rarely use armor lock. Pretty much stick to sprint.

Side note will we ever get a double xp weekend?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Camo is extremely useful as a radar jammer, but not useful as camouflage. They should really just change it's name. That would take less work on their part which seems to be the path they are going with Reach.

I'm also disappointed with these 1 week playlists. You'd think as a company of aging professionals, they'd realize their fan base has grown older and now has other responsibilities. I guess it just goes to show that even Bungie isn't playing Reach.

GhaleonEB

It would be neat if there was a way to bake a Challenge option into the Campaign Co-op playlist, tied to the Daily Challenge when one like today's pops up. I don't think that's really possible using the current system, but it would be nice.

Louis Wu

CrazedArabMan said:
<3 Bun.....

I can't even say it anymore, not with garbage like this ruining the game and still a lack of information on any patch. *sigh :/
Okay, really, this is getting silly.

Bloom is not going to be 'patched' - it's working as expected. ("Not a bug, will not fix.")

Pretty much everything else folks have complained about can be tweaked from the server end - no patches needed. Whether they WILL be tweaked is a different subject, but one that is irrelevant to my point... which is that it is highly, HIGHLY unlikely that a Title Update of any sort is coming - because it's simply not needed.

They made their game way the hell more flexible this time around, so they wouldn't NEED a Title Update.

So you can lament the fact that nobody's removing the Drop Shield from Objective games right now, or that Armor Lock is still in more playlists than you want to see it, or about a million other gripes you guys have... but stop asking Bungie to PATCH Reach, because these changes don't need that.

I'm just asking folks to use more accurate language. Thanks.

Louis Wu said:

Pretty much everything else folks have complained about can be tweaked from the server end - no patches needed.

There's probably a few issues regarding objective/custom settings that are clearly broken that might need to actually be patched to get working correctly...I think the Hill location thing just goes outward instead of random, assault sudden death doesn't always work, I think theres an infection problem, hell they might need to fix that whole jetpack/flag juggle if it gets too common or abusive.

I mean I don't think an actual PATCH (Title Update) should be out of the question at least at this point.

At the very least they could make this game a lot more customizable (give us more features) with a title update of maybe adding a lot of custom options... no bloom/scoping off/fall damage off, things of that nature. It doesn't matter if these things are broken or working as intended, Halo has always been about customization with Forge/Theater/Customs so on...

I mean having those options would be like them giving us "more game" I don't see why that should be considered not discussable at all. In fact giving us new options/game modes sounds very Bungie.

Sure they can change the playlists on server end, but even that is being done at what I believe to be an insufficient speed and magnitude.

Nutter said:

Come on guys, pick armor lock, smash ground, profit??

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

Bloom is not going to be 'patched' - it's working as expected. ("Not a bug, will not fix.")

Pretty much everything else folks have complained about can be tweaked from the server end - no patches needed. Whether they WILL be tweaked is a different subject, but one that is irrelevant to my point... which is that it is highly, HIGHLY unlikely that a Title Update of any sort is coming - because it's simply not needed.
Personally, the kind of stuff I'd like to see fixed are things like the Revenant physics bug and the exploit I saw people using on Courtyard. Then there's the Forge glitch that erases maps of one name with the content of another (hit me four times, and it erased Zayne's latest map as well). There's also a host of small bugs in Forge, such as the system not allowing certain objects to be set at certain angles (try setting a 3x3 flat block at 81 degrees on all three axis - you can't. The game changes it to 81, 80, 80).

Gameplay mechanics and game balance may be working as expected - and probably are - but I regularly run into what seem to be genuine bugs that have a big impact (having to remove the Revenant from maps, losing hours of map making time, getting stuck in long games because guys are using map exploits in Firefight). There's definitely a some stuff that could stand fixing.

But like you, I'm not expecting a title update, though.

xxjuicesxx said:
There's probably a few issues regarding objective/custom settings that are clearly broken that might need to actually be patched to get working correctly...I think the Hill location thing just goes outward instead of random, assault sudden death doesn't always work, I think theres an infection problem, hell they might need to fix that whole jetpack/flag juggle if it gets too common or abusive.

The Hill thing has already been fixed via gametype changes :). Assault Sudden death could also be changed by the same mechanisms I believe. Generally anything related to gametype rules, and gametype specific UI is possible to change.

One issue though, is that Bungie does a pretty shitty job of communicating that gametypes have been changed, and if you have a bunch of crazy gametypes that you have built with old KoTH rules, the new rules don't roll into them. So you would need to recreate them. I believe a TU would be necessary to force a replacement of the old gametypes with new ones.

There are some other serious bugs that need fixing ASAP, The Revenant Physics bug, and more than anything the Forge saving bug needs a major fix. Costing content creators lose hours of work for an unpredictable bug is just flat unacceptable.

I think Bungie still believes very seriously in it's role as a "console" developer, and is trying hard to avoid the need for a TU's. The ability to modify gametype scripting on the fly is a big part of that, as Wu pointed out.

Louis Wu said:

They made their game way the hell more flexible this time around, so they wouldn't NEED a Title Update.

So you can lament the fact that nobody's removing the Drop Shield from Objective games right now, or that Armor Lock is still in more playlists than you want to see it, or about a million other gripes you guys have... but stop asking Bungie to PATCH Reach, because these changes don't need that.

I never mentioned bloom, that was more in general to what still needs to be fixed, I know most of these fixes can be done just by adjusting playlists and what not. Like Ghaleon though stated here, there are a few bugs that do need patched that deal with physics or something else that can't be fixed with just a tweak on the server end. To say the game doesn't need a patch is absurd. Then there are some balance issues with some of the guns that can be addressed and so on. I do agree I doubt we are going to see a patch now, sad but true. I probably could have stated that better as you mentioned (IE: please remove Drop Shield from flag games or something).

MLG and Invasion are the only 2 game types I play. The sad thing is that people are getting so good at defending the first objective in Boneyard it can be very frustrating.

Dani said:
1285260639_kids-reaction-to-crab.gif

Even though he could be almost too harsh at times, I do miss Eazy and his insightful points on matchmaking.

Edit: Oh and I know this isn't quite Halo related, but I figured we are a small community here. I just got a big promotion, so I may be on here less as a result, but it means GREAT times for my career! Mostly because I'm going to be traveling a lot more now.

Falagard

Louis Wu said:

You're correct, almost everything in Reach is by design, and in my opinion (and many others') that design leads to frustration and a lack of fun.

I agree that removing armor lock and tweaking playlists can help the game, but not to the point where the game is as fun as it should have been.

How about balancing Armor Lock rather than remove it?

1. Changing Armor Lock so it can't be spammed as quickly, and requires a cool down period, and/or once activated it stays active for a period of time.
2. Changing Armor Lock so a plasma pistol or any other type of EMP charge dispels it.
3. Changing Armor Lock so a plasma grenade stuck before the armor lock will explode and kill the player rather than bounce off.

How about adding an option to bring back traditional melee attacks?

4. Add an option to return to previous style melee attacks (they push through shields doing damage to underlying health). This is optional but would allow a truly "classic" playlist.

Bloom may be by design, but I'd prefer an option to remove it.

5. Add an option to reduce or remove bloom to allow a classic playlist. Again, optional.

Vehicles:

6. Add an option to make vehicles more fun by linking them to player health. Optional.

These ARE the changes some of us want, and I'm not sure that all of them can be implemented with simple tweaks to maps and playlist settings. Are you?

So get your language straight, Wu. By the way, love you - great community leader, etc. etc. but responding to your post with my opinion.

Pre-emptive response to "go play Halo 3" is: no, I'm done with Halo 3. I want Reach to be my definitive Halo experience from the people that created Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
The solution lies within anything BUT the MLG playlist if you're pro enough.
You crazy, son.
All jokes aside though, the objective gametypes in MLG are among the best in Reach. You could argue against the one flag gametypes but everything else is pretty top notch.

Nah, I honestly think they should remove armor lock from matchmaking completely (except for BTB and Invasion).

Leave it in Firefight/Campaign/Custom games though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Louis Wu said:
Oh yes I love it when it works the way it's expected on green bar yet high latency connections. Totally works. There should at the very least be an option to take it out for customs. Just another one of Bungie's decisions that they don't want to own up to.
Tashi0106 said:
The solution lies within the MLG playlist.
I can't stand Forge Map Aesthetics and seeing the same damn color everywhere fucks with my eyes, talking about Sanctuary obviously.

Plywood said:
I can't stand Forge Map Aesthetics and seeing the same damn color everywhere fucks with my eyes, talking about Sanctuary obviously.
Patch it with a TU :p

Bungie defended bloom all the way until release dude.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:
Patch it with a TU :p
NO WAY MAN

BUNGIE AINT GONNA DO IT

CAUSE BUNGIE MADE A PERFECT GAME

SO FORGET IT

FORGET TALKING ABOUT HOW TO MAKE THE GAME BETTER

BECAUSE IT HAS NO GLITCHES

OR FLAWS

Plywood said:
NO WAY MAN

BUNGIE AINT GONNA DO IT

CAUSE BUNGIE MADE A PERFECT GAME

SO FORGET IT

FORGET TALKING ABOUT HOW TO MAKE THE GAME BETTER

BECAUSE IT HAS NO GLITCHES

OR FLAWS
Joke posts like this really make me miss EazyB. I would much rather his arguements, as radical as I found them, over the white noise of post-release Reach rage I have been reading lately.

Top Bottom