• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Havok

So I logged in today and my Spartan's appearance was reset. I still had all the items I had purchased available, all my credits were still there, as was my rank, but my colors, equipped items, callsign, and emblem were all back to default, and I was asked to pick a male or female and was given the 5k credit bonus for New Noble Team Member.

What gives? Seems really weird to me.

Havok said:
So I logged in today and my Spartan's appearance was reset. I still had all the items I had purchased available, all my credits were still there, as was my rank, but my colors, equipped items, callsign, and emblem were all back to default, and I was asked to pick a male or female and was given the 5k credit bonus for New Noble Team Member.

What gives? Seems really weird to me.

This has happened to be twice already too. Along with 2 resets to my Campaign progress, did that happen to you too?

It's a real pain in the arse, especially the single player part which I now have pretty much no access to since my disc is constantly giving me errors.

Havok

randomlyrossy said:
This has happened to be twice already too. Along with 2 resets to my Campaign progress, did that happen to you too?

It's a real pain in the arse, especially the single player part which I now have pretty much no access to since my disc is constantly giving me errors.
Just checked, and yeah, campaign progress was reset. That's the only thing that's of any real annoyance. Weird.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:
Joke posts like this really make me miss EazyB. I would much rather his arguements, as radical as I found them, over the white noise of post-release Reach rage I have been reading lately.
Apologies, I do not like articulating myself when I feel I am speaking to what I consider the Internet equivalent of the Western Wall, yelling or speaking calmly seems to make no difference to this company, either way prayers remain unanswered.

vhfive said:
I don't think so.

I also prefer equipment to armor abilites
I certainly don't miss trying to deploy a bubble shield, only for me to be killed as I am deploying it, essentially giving them a safe haven to teabag me in.

Having said that... I do tend to not use Drop Shield for a similar reason.

I really enjoy the safety of accidentally using it in situations that don't necessarily warrant it. I can use up all of my camo and encounter no one and be content knowing I will have another try shortly. Things like that are why I like AAs.

Striker

Ya, I definitely miss hitting X to deploy my bubble shield or regen piece only for it actually engage after I die. Classic moments.

I would prefer no equipment or abilities period, but it is what it is.

wwm0nkey

Hydranockz said:
I MISS THE FLARE! Poor dude never got a chance!

Bungie, give me a toned down Armour Lock.... BUT GIVE IT A FLARE!
How about instead of armor lock you get a fucking flash bang! That would be pretty damn sweet actually lol

vhfive

Striker said:
Ya, I definitely miss hitting X to deploy my bubble shield or regen piece only for it actually engage after I die. Classic moments.

I would prefer no equipment or abilities period, but it is what it is.
I would also prefer nothing but I would rather have someone only able to use something once than for them to be able to spam it over and over again.

Nope Equipment once again is much better and here is why:

1. Pick ups, just like power weapons, you have to earn them. Eliminates countless number of players who spawn with the Save Me Button (AL) or the Objective Ruining drop shield. *Note: this can be adjusted with the game-type to act like this, but with regular Reach matchmaking, this is not the case.

2. One time use, you finally were able to get that bubble shield (in Halo 3), now you can only use it once, so you must think on what you are going to do with it, and if you die, the other team can pick it up. *Note: both of these are not possible with Reach, they have unlimited use (the recharge doesn't count), and if you die, it is gone until you re-spawn with it or pick it up if it is on a spawn timer like a weapon.

Though having neither equipment or AA's are the better choice.

Striker

vhfive said:
I would also prefer nothing but I would rather have someone only able to use something once than for them to be able to spam it over and over again.
Unless it's blatantly abusive as this is with the Drop Shields, I have no problem with it.

I have no severe issues with AL or any other piece of armor that can be used. Would I prefer it in a particular playlist, or in certain behavioral maps? Sure. It's all on Bungie's side of tweaking these things. There's absolutely no reason they should dismiss the Hologram in exchange for a Drop Shield in Team Objective. Not to mention the highly questionable spots like the flag location on Powerhouse, or so forth.

For me, I enjoy this game, in spite of idiotic random teammates I often get in BTB and in spite of Bungie forcing such gametypes like Team Headhunter and Stockpile down our god damn throats in the voting phases. I'm getting to believe they don't give a single shit about real objective games anymore. In 343 we trust.

GhaleonEB

vhfive said:
One thing that bugs me is the way armor abilities consumed both equipment and power ups in the standard game types. Something like the bubble shield is much better suited to a one-time use item as with equipment to prevent the kind of stuff in Eazy's video. While camo is better suited to a power up, so you don't run into a full team going camo or a sniper who rocks camo the entire match.

Armor abilities as implemented are a one size fits all approach to equipment, power pick ups and native traits, but the abilities span too wide a range to work as such. I wish there was a mix of equipment (bubble), power ups (camo, armor lock) and armor abilities (sprint, jetpack, evade, hologram). It would be nice to have the option to make an armor ability a pick-up, but set it to be one-time use, because then we could do just that.

GhaleonEB said:
One thing that bugs me is the way armor abilities consumed both equipment and power ups in the standard game types. Something like the bubble shield is much better suited to a one-time use item as with equipment to prevent the kind of stuff in Eazy's video. While camo is better suited to a power up, so you don't run into a full team going camo or a sniper who rocks camo the entire match.

Armor abilities as implemented are a one size fits all approach to equipment, power pick ups and native traits, but the abilities span too wide a range to work as such. I wish there was a mix of equipment (bubble), power ups (camo, armor lock) and armor abilities (sprint, jetpack, evade, hologram). It would be nice to have the option to make an armor ability a pick-up, but set it to be one-time use, because then we could do just that.
You hit the nail on the head using a DMR from the top of Spire with little or no bloom.

j-wood

With all the negativity in this thread is it still worth me buying the map pack for this? Is the community dying off?

j-wood said:
With all the negativity in this thread is it still worth me buying the map pack for this? Is the community dying off?

Don't read too much into the negativity, I garuntee you everyone who posts in this thread is playing Reach at least every other night.

As for the map pack if you're playing regularly I don't see any reason not to grab them. They're 3 great maps and have actually started showing up in the non-DLC playlist a bit more lately, at least in my experience.

The new invasion map is really awesome too, I love all the customised stuff that happens in it, with various parts of the scenery moving, a bridge lowering. Having to carry a bomb to get access to the core is a near touch too.

I'm really hoping for more Invasion maps in other map packs.

j-wood said:
The maps are good IMO... And there's still a big community playing Reach still.

It's really up to you though.

I also had that campaign glitch. :( - I guess that gives me an excuse to replay campaign at some point lol.

Ghaleons post made me weep a little... oh what could have been. :(

Falagard

j-wood said:

The maps are great, and the Halo community will not die off before the next Halo releases.

GhaleonEB said:

This.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
j-wood said:
I do still play it, just so its fair for me to bitch about it. :)

kylej said:
That's a bold statement.
Yeah... I mean... a lot of HaloGaf isn't playing as much as they used to... *looks at TJs*.

People have their reasons. I kinda wished they'd have resisted their urges to open the floodgates of their issues with the game at the same time... during the one week someone tries to highlight the community... but hey, I'm irish, it was Murphy's Law.

The DLC is an all around good map pack. Anchor 9 for the 4v4 symmetry, Tempest as a forgeable scale up of that and Brakpoint for your BTB/Invasion needs.

What was Halo 3's first map pack?

Letters said:
Standoff
Rat's nest
Foundry
Yeah... I look forward to Reach's future DLC too haha. Having said that, those maps had their moments but were arguably left behind in terms of greatness once the other DLC packs hit.

Letters said:
Standoff
Rat's nest
Foundry

I actually REALLY liked Standoff, and to this day still crave matches on it. I grew to like Foundry, but some of its matchmaking incarnations where aweful, and Rats Nest was awesome at its highs but dull at its lows.

Tempest and Breakpoint are awesome though, so if the trend continues Reach's DLC should blow Halo 3's out of the water.

Striker

j-wood said:
The community isn't dying off. The maps themselves are fairly solid and they aren't splitting the population with them, unlike they did in Halo 3. The maps will show up if everybody in the lobby has them and, of course, gets voted for.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
randomlyrossy said:
Don't read too much into the negativity, I garuntee you everyone who posts in this thread is playing Reach at least every other night.

As for the map pack if you're playing regularly I don't see any reason not to grab them. They're 3 great maps and have actually started showing up in the non-DLC playlist a bit more lately, at least in my experience.

The new invasion map is really awesome too, I love all the customised stuff that happens in it, with various parts of the scenery moving, a bridge lowering. Having to carry a bomb to get access to the core is a near touch too.

I'm really hoping for more Invasion maps in other map packs.

Nope, I haven't touched it in weeks, been playing Gears and COD.

A lot of people are pissed off about various things.

I hate to say it, but if shit doesn't change (armor lock mostly) I'll probably put Reach on the back burner permanently and hope 343 delivers the goods.

Havok said:
Just checked, and yeah, campaign progress was reset. That's the only thing that's of any real annoyance. Weird.

Happened to me too, still haven't gone back through to redo it, another issue that shouldn't have happened.

Tashi0106 said:
:lol

My teammate and I just beat some people in MLG just now 4 against 2. Our teammates went -9 collectively and then quit out. We had to claw our way back but then we won by 10. Hahhaahhaah

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=459750009&player=NYSTOFMIND23

MLG matchmaking sucks without ranks :/

Awesome story. My story is 2 of my teammates got booted cause of a shitty host and then my only teammate left went -12 while I managed to stay even. I'm counting it as a victory because I was warping around occasionally and a lot of my shit wasn't counting because it was such a terrible host.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=459835520&player=AnArmorLockHero

Thanks MM. I get time to play one game and its utter shit thanks. Off to work lets hope this snow storm coming doesn't kill me in the morning.

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
I actually REALLY liked Standoff, and to this day still crave matches on it. I grew to like Foundry, but some of its matchmaking incarnations where aweful, and Rats Nest was awesome at its highs but dull at its lows.

Tempest and Breakpoint are awesome though, so if the trend continues Reach's DLC should blow Halo 3's out of the water.
yeah that was/is may favorite H3 map.

Striker

The only DLC I truly liked from Halo 3 was Standoff (despite the horrid laser and spawns) and Avalanche (despite the awful Shotgun interior and the abundance of equipment). Don't necessarily count Heretic since it's a remake and came real late.

Bungie's best job was dictating how great the Halo 2 DLC was: Terminal, Relic, Elongation, Turf, Sanctuary, Containment, Warlock

Only real duds were Backwash and Gemini. Tombstone was solid but came late, and was a remake. Three total remakes, but you got enough time to realize the differences between Elongation/Longest and Warlock/Wizard.

Reach could use at least three more map packs if they're going the 3-map count per release. Maybe 343 or Certain Affinity (miss you Max =[) branches out.

TheFatOne

Can anyone give a beginner Halo player some tips. The last Halo game I played was 2. Man the MP is so damn hard. Getting my ass kicked in regular team death match.

Havok

So I was just matched against two Heroes, a Legend, a Gen. 4 and a Noble in the DLC playlist with my team of 4 randoms including two Captains and a Warrant Officer. It would be an understatement to say we were destroyed (Trueskill, gotta love it), but it taught me to enjoy the little things. Render would be appreciated if anyone has spare minutes :)

TheFatOne said:
Can anyone give a beginner Halo player some tips. The last Halo game I played was 2. Man the MP is so damn hard. Getting my ass kicked in regular team death match.
The DMR is your bread and butter, if you learn to use it well you can do wonderful things with it. Since Halo has more prolonged fights than other shooters, remember that if things are going tits up you can try to simply escape the situation (abilities like sprint and especially evade do wonders for this). Grenades are also far more important in Halo than other shooters. If you have them, use them to soften targets before going in with your DMR or other headshot weapon. Running with a teammate can save your ass in most situations. Of course, I guess if you've played 2 you probably just need a bit of time to get back into the swing of it.

Everdred said:
This has been bugging me for a while... Why did they remove the game type from the beta where the spartans and elites would try to hack the others generator?
It still exists, but in the Firefight playlist, and only against the AI. It was called Network Test 1 because they were testing how their new synchronous networking model worked in a live environment (ie, Firefight Matchmaking). It was always a little weird to me, but it was split into Generator Defense and Firefight VS.

Everdred

This has been bugging me for a while... Why did they remove the game type from the beta where the spartans and elites would try to hack the others generator?

TheFatOne said:
Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Chasing kills isn't always the best thing to do. Spamming your human weapons will rarely work so you want to get a nice groove of popping off shots that are accurate. The temptation will be strong when your opponent is spamming but the more shots you land, the better. Does someone have urk's post on the matter at hand?

AAs... Don't jetpak in the middle of any level is a good rule of thumb :p Armour lock when you know a teammate is nearby or when you are on your last legs. Send Holograms on ahead of you and follow as sneakily as you can, if you dupe someone, you're gonna want to be able to catch them off. Sprint is a generally good choice for getting in and out of encounters in a hurry. I think camo works best on levels like Sword Base where the multiple rooms and levels will easily confuse opponents radars. Drop Shields are handy but if you leave it too late you will end up getting killed as you deploy it. In objective modes, blocking sightlines with a bubble can be a real help when running with the objective.

That's all I got for now :p

Blueblur1

Domino Theory said:
Woah, Vic Deleon is at 343i now? How did I just find out about this? Good for him! :)
Not surprised. He's one of the few people who had time to chat at PAX Prime 2010 and he mentioned that he really loved Halo and wanted to keep working on the franchise. He's a nice guy.

Oh, and there should be others as well. Both 343 and Bungie are ever changing. New faces everywhere apparently.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Blueblur1 said:
Not surprised. He's one of the few people who had time to chat at PAX Prime 2010 and he mentioned that he really loved Halo and wanted to keep working on the franchise. He's a nice guy.

Oh, and there should be others as well. Both 343 and Bungie are ever changing. New faces everywhere apparently.

He's Lead Environment Artist for the Campaign at 343i.

:O

Hey You

Havok said:
It still exists, but in the Firefight playlist, and only against the AI. It was called Network Test 1 because they were testing how their new synchronous networking model worked in a live environment (ie, Firefight Matchmaking). It was always a little weird to me, but it was split into Generator Defense and Firefight VS.
I'm sure it could make for some interesting games on forged maps. I would like to think so. Hopefully they re-release sometime down the road.

GhaleonEB

Everdred said:
That was a test for Firefight, though it was dressed up to play as MP. The gametype is Generator Defense, and it (and the Crashsite variant, with one generator to defend) are in the Firefight playlists.

I'd love to see a variant of that for Multiplayer, and was kind of bummed it wasn't there. Could make for some great siege style games.

neoism

FUCK I hate this game when I play bad.... :( I was so good the first 3 months of release... now I just don't seem to play as good as I used too. :/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The reason I hate standoff is they teased it having that huge dish and you couldn't even reach it.

Never forget.

Though the map itself was pretty good for CTF.

Top Bottom