• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Ramirez

Striker said:

Man, he had to iron out FFA Arena for the 59 people who care. Seriously, the Arena is such a waste of time, just axe it. The people it was made for play MLG, no one cares, the population reflects that every time I log on.

Lazslo

Ramirez said:
Man, he had to iron out FFA Arena for the 59 people who care. Seriously, the Arena is such a waste of time, just axe it. The people it was made for play MLG, no one cares, the population reflects that every time I log on.
The Arena theoretically is a good concept- I just don't play enough of it to get rated and I think thats the issue with the majority of the population. Maybe if they changed the way you get rated to expedite the process it would attract more battlebros.

Lazslo said:
The Arena theoretically is a good concept- I just don't play enough of it to get rated and I think thats the issue with the majority of the population. Maybe if they changed the way you get rated to expedite the process it would attract more battlebros.

do any of you guys play Assassins Creed Brotherhood? They have a surprisingly basic, but satisfying, implementation of arena. It ranks you weekly based on your top 3 scores plus a few more variables that it exposes, in-game.

There's a graphical representation of the grading pyramid. It shows you what level of the pyramid you're on (Seneschal), what position in that level (333/6782) and position overall in the player base (7840/769000). It's basic and easy to understand, and since it resets every week there's real incentive to try and improve week to week, because you can see exactly how your better scores impact it.

I thought it was really interesting that they accomplish the same basic goal without overthinking it.

edit: it's worth pointing out that for a system like this to work, it has to have a very wide range of divisions, not just the five we have in Reach.

Havok

oddworld18 said:
do any of you guys play Assassins Creed Brotherhood? They have a surprisingly basic, but satisfying, implementation of arena. It ranks you weekly based on your top 3 scores plus a few more variables that it exposes, in-game.

There's a graphical representation of the grading pyramid. It shows you what level of the pyramid you're on (Seneschal), what position in that level (333/6782) and position overall in the player base (7840/769000). It's basic and easy to understand, and since it resets every week there's real incentive to try and improve week to week, because you can see exactly how your better scores impact it.

I thought it was really interesting that they accomplish the same basic goal without overthinking it.

edit: it's worth pointing out that for a system like this to work, it has to have a very wide range of divisions, not just the five we have in Reach.
Sounds like a good system. Honestly, I think the Arena ranking system would be fine if they just implemented it into all the playlists and you got playlist-specific division rankings. I mean, they're already calculating the scores, you can see them in all the post-game reports. That way, you don't have to try and stomach the hyper-competitive nature of the actual Arena playlist, and it might also give people who would otherwise just fuck around in the constantly 'social' playlists incentive to actually play, unless they don't care, and in that worst case scenario, it wouldn't bother them to get a bad ranking in the first place.

Lazslo

Does anyone think that more devs will adapt the active roster concept in future games? I could see it helping the CoD Franchise out- i guess we'll find out in two years... Whatever the case may be I just hope it's in Bungie's new IP

kylej

Banned
Lazslo said:
Does anyone think that more devs will adapt the active roster concept in future games? I could see it helping the CoD Franchise out- i guess we'll find out in two years... Whatever the case may be I just hope it's in Bungie's new IP

Hopefully. Hopefully we see dedicated servers too ala Gears 3.

FourDoor

Devin Olsen said:
Joined Multi-Team with 1 friend...

We get split up and sent to different teams.

Good fucking game.

Edit: I am seriously lost as to why in the fuck Bungie would set it up so there is a possibility for you to be split up from your part-mate.

I join a friends party for a reason, to play with them. So why would you split me up?

I am frustrated at how such a simple thing continues to be a problem.

Similar thing happened recently to my friends and I. 3 of us jump into multi-team since its now parties of 3 and guess what happens? All 3 of us are split into 3 different teams!

Trasher

FourDoor said:
Similar thing happened recently to my friends and I. 3 of us jump into multi-team since its now parties of 3 and guess what happens? All 3 of us are split into 3 different teams!
Happened to me and Ram last night in two games.

zumphry

Banned
Not my contest entries but some I also made and sent to stosh for regular submissions:

iTevb.gif
OEjRR.png

px0Wq.png
v4KCm.png

k4Bnc.png
nFdnZ.gif

And my contest entry, which didn't turn out exactly as I wanted because I either messed up trying to make the cutout move up and down, or GIMP just sucks at transparent GIFs:

QUAEL.gif

Know it's not going to win, but I'm hoping it'll make one or two people chuckle.

Ramirez said:

I know it sounds bad but all will be redeemed when we come to find out "ironing out" actually means incorporating the 1-50 rank in Arena.

Trasher said:
Happened to me and Ram last night in two games.

Shishka'd!

Mojo said:
http://oi54.tinypic.com/fjkifo.jpg[/IMG

:/[/QUOTE]
Dude, when you posted that, it was not even 9:00 in the morning.

Anyway: mowing down Elites with the plasma pistol/plasma rifle in Firefight in 2x Score Attack = MAJOR AWESOME.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:

I guess the rest of the world just doesn't play Team Objective.

Being 9 am over there isn't really a good explanation for the low player count.

Kujo

Dax01 said:
How do I respond to this, I guess I could say, not all Halo players come from the US?

Was peak night time when I took it (Aus), and ~50k players online

Basically Objective was my favourite playlist in Halo 2, and one I frequented alot in Halo 3. Less than 1% of the population playing it at most times makes me sad

wwm0nkey

Gui_PT said:
I guess the rest of the world just doesn't play Team Objective.

Being 9 am over there isn't really a good explanation for the low player count.
Yeah I actually am tired of hearing that Time of the day excuse.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
electricpirate said:
Only US players care about Objective? I dunno, it kind of sucks. I wonder how much is bungie's bad decisions in the playlist (Drop Shield, and evade) and how much is just the natural movement of the playerbase towards slayer that we've been seeing for years.

Ehh, either way,I have fun when I go in.

I say the playlist has too many crappy gametypes. Headhunter, Hot Potatoe and Stockpile are a joke but instead of laughing players are just walking away from that playlist. Then you have things like Dropshield included so when you actually get a decent game, it's fudged up with typical stupidity.

Armour Lock, Dropshield and Jetpack do not belong in Objective. They easily break the flow of the game or lead to exploitable situations. If they took them out, increased the party size from four to five, made every game Pro or DMR starts only and removed Stockpile, Potatoe and Headhunter I'd say the population would double or triple within a week, easily.

GhaleonEB

I think of Headhunter as Slayer variant anyways. It's always struck me as strange that it's in Objective. (I dig Stockpile, though.) Agree about stuff like load outs not being tuned to the game types properly. Things need to be crafted on a per-map basis, rather than the cookie cutter approach now used.

I think one of the other things bogging down the playlist is the abundance of quitters. If one guy on your team quits, it's very hard to win an objective game. The few times I've done Team Objective have been unpleasant.

Kujo

Objective should be weighted heavily for CTF and Assault with a bit of Oddball and KOTH on the side. Throw out everything else. Update it to 5v5 or 6v6. Then give everyone double Cr for playing it or something.

Stockpile has to be kept in doesn't it though for that achievement, bah

Shake Appeal said:
Bring back Team Flag! I would play Team Flag until the cows came home!
Team Flag was such an awesome gametype in Halo 3. Avalanche and Valhalla over and over again...so good.

Re: low TO playlist: Look, obviously US players aren't the only Halo players in the world, but it is where the majority of Halo players are. In Halo 3, I rarely saw TO exceed 1500 players. It doesn't surprise me in Reach to see that the playlist only have 80 players at one point in time.

Kujo

Dax01 said:
It doesn't surprise me in Reach to see that the playlist only have 80 players at one point in time.
At 5 months after Halo 3 launched though, it still had 1000+ when I played Objective at the same time of night, I never had trouble getting a TO game in H3 until much after release as I do in Reach now (and then someone quits half the time anyway)

Hey You

Mojo said:
I believe if Bungie actually worked on the Playlist, it could be better. And it seems like a good majority of the population looking on the Heat map does reside in North America.

TO is my favorite Playlist, but Stockpile,Headhunter and Hot potato is what kills it for me. Stick them in a Action Sack playlist. I want to play Flag,Bomb and Territories. That's it.

Or just replace it with Team Flag and I would never leave

Also I think Objective related Commendations could have worked if they were awarded to the team, not just individual.

Such as:
-Your Team Captures a flag.
-You stop the flag carrier
-You plant the bomb
-You defend an objective (Flag,Territory etc)
-You capture a territory

Those are just a few examples (Of course the ability to betray would be turned off).

And while we are on the subject of the playlist. I think reducing the credit pay-out for Kills to 1 or 2 Credits and increasing (or adding) for Capturing Objectives (Flags,Bombs,Territories). Sadly alot of people play Objective just to farm for kills.

Dani said:
I say the playlist has too many crappy gametypes. Headhunter, Hot Potatoe and Stockpile are a joke but instead of laughing players are just walking away from that playlist. Then you have things like Dropshield included so when you actually get a decent game, it's fudged up with typical stupidity.

Armour Lock, Dropshield and Jetpack do not belong in Objective. They easily break the flow of the game or lead to exploitable situations. If they took them out, increased the party size from four to five, made every game Pro or DMR starts only and removed Stockpile, Potatoe and Headhunter I'd say the population would double or triple within a week, easily.

Honestly, one of my frustrations with the playlist as it stands right now, is that it doesn't have ENOUGH stockpile and Headhunter. Stockpile is great, except for Bungie's insistence on putting a symmetrical gametype on non symmetrical maps. Give me Stockpile pro on atom or coutdown though, and I'm a happy camper.

Headhunter I like because it's something I can hop into pretty casually if I go into objective alone, and still have fun. Its definately lighter fare than standard objective matches, but I really enjoy the way the pacing and intensity of the gametype builds.

Right now, my problem with the playlist, is that i don't see enough of those gametypes. I mean, since they trimmed down the options in the playlist in january, I've only seen one game of stockpile, and 0 games of headhunter. It seems like every time I go in, there's a block of 4 voting for Hemorage.* Seriously? you people WANT to play Hemorage 2 flag 4 vs 4 AR starts? Ugh.

Then when I get a decent flag/bomb gametype, drop shields and evade ruin it in a big way. So it makes me want to go back to stockpile/headhunter where the AA's are a better fit.

*I actually had a lot of fun with H3 style territories on Hemo last night. That's a pretty good gametype! In that the lack of DMR starts actually works well, and it has a really nice balance of vehicle and infantry play. It also doesn't devolve into the "Hemo stalemate." People round here seem to hate that style of territories, but it was, and is one of my favorite gametypes.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
wwm0nkey said:
Yeah I actually am tired of hearing that Time of the day excuse.

Why? Most people are at work. How is that an excuse. Seems more like a factual statement to me.

Calm Killer said:
Why? Most people are at work. How is that an excuse. Seems more like a factual statement to me.

Nice quick edit.

I'm going to go with that when America is sleeping Europe should be up playing...stuff like that, time of day is irrelevant when so much of Europe plays (played Halo)...the numbers were never usually that low during H3...

Anyone know what is currently "allowed" in MLG?

I'm tweaking my arena map for MLG settings, need to know what weapons and AA's they allow. Can't find the information anywhere!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sikamikanico said:
Anyone know what is currently "allowed" in MLG?

I'm tweaking my arena map for MLG settings, need to know what weapons and AA's they allow. Can't find the information anywhere!
Snipers, rockets, dmrs, needles rifles, magnum, plasma pistol, frags, plasmas. Jet pack pick up, evade pick up. I think thats everything.

Also, congrats shogun and thanks for your service. :)

Edit: pro pipe as well

Ramirez

It's not just TO with low populations, the community playlist rarely has over 800 when I'm on, Team Arena and FFA Arena have absolutely laughable populations as well most of the time. FFA hovers around 100, while TA might have 500 on a good night. Doubles is the only one that exceeds 1K when I'm on, and lord knows why, it's easily the worst of the three...

I can't make a blanket statement for every night, but it seems when I do play, there's rarely ever more than a 100K people online at one time, Social Slayer in Halo 3 alone would have like 50-100K+ on Halo 3 on most nights. MLG would hover around 5-6K, in Reach it's not uncommon to see it at 500 or so.

I don't think anything they do is going to magically bring people back, I really don't think people care about 1-50 that much, it's the core gameplay that is the problem for most, and sadly that can't be fixed in most cases. I'll be interested to see how the classic playlist performs, whenever it finally comes.

Played a great game of Firefight Limited earlier with a random dude:

Click :D

I went +141 with 1 death, him: +159 with 3 deaths. I usually get matched up with reckless/stupid players, so it was a pretty refreshing game.

What I hate most about people in Firefight Limited, is the fact that they use all of the ordinance weapons on the first wave of the first round. It's best to save those weapons for the tougher enemies at the end of each round.

Striker

Objectives main problem is similar to BTB. They force certain gametypes down your throat. There also isn't any reason for a Pistol/AR start in a map like Hemorrhage. In Halo 2, in most mid-size or large maps, they had 1-CTF BRs or Multi-Flag BRs, which were setup for the map itself and its obscene size. They have not done that for Halo 3, or Reach.

Remember starting with an AR in Valhalla meeting up against those near indestructible Warthogs, Banshees flying overhead, and the Sniper and Spartan Laser camping mid field? Great stuff. And that was in Social Skirmish.

All I see in Objective when I play is more often Stockpile, and lots of it. We'll have the occasional Assault, but it doesn't show up as much as it should. Unfortunately, with Bungie's Halo, the objective based gameplay died after Halo 2. It seems they haven't tried keeping it fresh, or important, since.

To note, there are about 800 players now in TO, so time of day (in the US) does make a difference. Maybe it wasn't that way in Halo 3, but it's that way in Reach.

First and foremost: Congrats 'shogun and thank you for your service.

To everyone else: If any of you experience a "discharge" of some kind, and you are not in some branch of the military, see your doctor immediately.

Ramirez said:
I can't make a blanket statement for every night, but it seems when I do play, there's rarely ever more than a 100K people online at one time, Social Slayer in Halo 3 alone would have like 50-100K+ on Halo 3 on most nights. MLG would hover around 5-6K, in Reach it's not uncommon to see it at 500 or so.

Are those numbers so different because of the players per 24hours vs. players immediately online switchover that happened? I don't really remember how population was counted in 3. Either way the Arena being so underpopulated is pretty terrible.

Dax01 said:
To note, there are about 800 players now in TO, so time of day (in the US) does make a difference. Maybe it wasn't that way in Halo 3, but it's that way in Reach.

duh. Thats what we are saying...its an apparent problem. Lack of updates to that playlist and bubble shields. and MORE!

Bregmann Roche said:
Are those numbers so different because of the players per 24hours vs. players immediately online switchover that happened? I don't really remember how population was counted in 3. Either way the Arena being so underpopulated is pretty terrible.

In H3 you could see the players in each playlist too, and yes they were around what Ramirez said 50k was normal for SS and in Reach TS is like a 20k playlist... I don't think it was read any different way in game, I think that's for the B.net player count stats.

Top Bottom