• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Striker

xxjuicesxx said:
duh. Thats what we are saying...its an apparent problem. Lack of updates to that playlist and bubble shields. and MORE!
They never really updated Team Objective in Halo 3, and its population dwindled so much they axed it.

Halo 3 didn't get a ton of playlists until later in its life, and that's when you saw things like Team Objective fade out and so on. Immediately in Reach they added a ton of different playlists, and to our surprise, there's still a large lack of primary objective action unless you count things that weren't Bungie's doing, i.e. Grifball and MLG.

Look how many slayer only, or near 80% slayer playlists there are: Team Arena, Doubles Arena, FFA Arena, Team Slayer, Team Snipers, Community Slayer, and if you venture into BTB long enough, it's mostly Bro Slayer, BTB Slayer, and Headhunter.

Alienshogun said:
I know I annoy some of you a lot, but I need to share this great news.

I'm OFFICIALLY OUT OF THE ARMY!

122buj7.jpg

Congrats! Thank you for serving our country!!!

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Ghaleon, how do you have a score of 25688 in Crashsite on Glacier AND Beachhead? I tried to beat you twice but got close twice! Gr!
Which reminds me. Crashsite on Courtyard is awesome. Usually, most waves drop some distance away and you get that ebb and flow I was wanting to see on the mode. A big wave of dudes approaching in the distance that you have to whittle down, then the wave envelops the area and you lock the generator and race to clean up the mess in time. So good.

This was the end of the first game I managed to finish on it. It's a real challenge on most maps, and Courtyard is the only one I've beaten so far.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bregmann Roche said:
First and foremost: Congrats 'shogun and thank you for your service.

To everyone else: If any of you experience a "discharge" of some kind, and you are not in some branch of the military, see your doctor immediately.

Are those numbers so different because of the players per 24hours vs. players immediately online switchover that happened? I don't really remember how population was counted in 3. Either way the Arena being so underpopulated is pretty terrible.

Hah, nice dude, thanks you too Squall.

Toddler

Dax01 said:
Mowing down Elites with the plasma pistol/plasma rifle in Firefight in 2x Score Attack = MAJOR AWESOME.
I've been meaning to post about that.

SAx2 and FF Arcade make me feel like a total bad ass. Favorite changes out of the whole update.

GhaleonEB said:
Which reminds me. Crashsite on Courtyard is awesome. Usually, most waves drop some distance away and you get that ebb and flow I was wanting to see on the mode. A big wave of dudes approaching in the distance that you have to whittle down, then the wave envelops the area and you lock the generator and race to clean up the mess in time. So good.

This was the end of the first game I managed to finish on it. It's a real challenge on most maps, and Courtyard is the only one I've beaten so far.
Nice.

And I just gt 27415 on Crashsite. I sucked less that time, Tashi!

Alienshogun said:
I know I annoy some of you a lot, but I need to share this great news.

I'm OFFICIALLY OUT OF THE ARMY!

122buj7.jpg

Congrats! Thats pretty amazing/impressive stuff, theres no way I could handle army life. Enjoy post army life dude, you must get some good benefits!

Domino Theory said:
It's most likely targeting an April 1st release.

Confirmed, it will be armour lock/ AR starts/ only map is Chiron and Orbital. April Fools!!! :p

Barrow Roll - sorry I have family going asleep around me, so playing Reach and talking will just piss them off. :p - If anything once there asleep I might come back on, but right now I should be silent. :(

ooh from the looks of it updates up - http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=30705

Interesting news about the arena (I wonder how the actual ranking is going to work now?) and one of the funniest blame stoshes ive seen!

Toddler

ZayneH said:
Not my contest entries but some I also made and sent to stosh for regular submissions:

iTevb.gif
OEjRR.png

px0Wq.png
v4KCm.png

k4Bnc.png
nFdnZ.gif

And my contest entry, which didn't turn out exactly as I wanted because I either messed up trying to make the cutout move up and down, or GIMP just sucks at transparent GIFs:

QUAEL.gif

Know it's not going to win, but I'm hoping it'll make one or two people chuckle.
You made the BWU! Twice! Congrats!

Mine wasn't as funny I guess.....

kylej

Banned
Very good Arena changes but

The gametype used will have the following basic settings: DMR/AR/1Frag/Sprint, Evade, Jetpack, and Hologram with Motion Tracker ON.

:/

kylej said:
The gametype used will have the following basic settings: DMR/AR/1Frag/Sprint, Evade, Jetpack, and Hologram with Motion Tracker ON.

:|

I know people here destest motion sensor, but on Reach I actually disagree with you guys and think that no sensor promotes more camping. With a sensor people seem more content to push out as they know they wont be suprised. No sensor seems to scare people into a state of hiding and going to close range double melees lol.

Im much more interested in how this new version of the Arena is going to work (and when its coming out?)

MrBig

hoghump.gif

:lol
fantastic.
A lot of them are funny or good but there are a few that are just nope. This contest was great and wasn't too big for me to get distracted from finishing it

The Blame Stosh was hilarious.

Congrats to Willeth, Vhfive, and Zayne for the avatars.

I'm tempted to change my avatar to the "will work for food nipple" avatar.

Tashi0106 said:
It's Firefight bro
Only people who suck at Firefight say that. *sticks tongue out*

feel

Hey, some gaffers' avatars made it, I wonder if anyone here got a star

I probably should've gone in a direction other than trolling armorlockers

16h3rz6.jpg

:lol

The Arena will still have Player Ratings to represent your individual skill in each game you play, but this rating will no longer be used to calculate who won the game.

----

Fail.

Striker

Interesting news nonetheless We'll see if it boosts Arena's likeness.

Still would like more information on the Classic playlist. -_-

I really like The Arena... I think it is a very happy place between normal Slayer and MLG. I will definitely spend considerable more time in here than I have throughout Reach's lifespan thus far. I spent more time in the Arena during the Beta for crying out loud haha.

Complain about motion sensors all you want guys but for fuck's sake it's already got its own home in MLG/Swat etc.

No AL. No AL. No AL. Feels good bro.

Hydranockz said:
I really like The Arena... I think it is a very happy place between normal Slayer and MLG. I will definitely spend considerable more time in here than I have throughout Reach's lifespan thus far. I spent more time in the Arena during the Beta for crying out loud haha.

Complain about motion sensors all you want guys but for fuck's sake it's already got its own home in MLG/Swat etc.

Im going to wait till its out to judge it, but it should be a huge step up from the arena we have now. I still predict low population counts because quite frankly 6 months after release its unlikely a lot of people will even know of the change/ will care - I think it will drag me in though.

Hologram is the best AA ever - I was playing Anchor 9 earlier today, a guy on my team threw down a hologram pretty close to the barrier near the Zero G bit. An enemy jumped straight at it probably hoping to get an assassination, he went through the hologram, into outer space, couldn't land and sort of flew straight off the map lol! I watched it back in theatre and it seemed like he was truley perplexed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:

Population will make or break it.

I'm playing The Long Night of Solace for the first time in about two months, and I gotta say, this game's cutscenes are so well directed and executed. Definitely the best in the series by a wide margin, and such a huge step above Halo 3 and ODST's.

The level's awesome too. ;)

GhaleonEB

The Arena updates seem like a good way to boost the player base. It effectively concedes the hardcore space to MLG and then concentrates players into a single playlist. That's probably for the best. As is making player skill based on team play, and opening up the load outs a bit. Seems like it will be nestling in between Team Slayer and MLG, which might still be too small of a space to thread. Wouldn't Slayer Pro just pull from that pool?

I hope the rankings are more transparent about what they mean. Say I'm Bronze, top 50%. What does that mean? How many people in my division are above me that I need to surpass to get into Silver? How many people are ranked in The Arena all total? More clarity around what the ranks mean would help, I think. Someone said earlier that Assassin's Creed had a similar system and it gave that kind of information and I think it would help. Personally, it would make the ranking a lot less nebulous.

I want to be playing Firefight, dammit. Better be crap Challenges tomorrow, since I'm not back home until Sunday night. :p

Striker

Since they're kind of going away from the importance of assists and harping more so on win/loss, would it hurt to add CTF and Assault to the playlist? No Headhunter or Hot Potato junk.

zumphry

Banned
Finally checked out Fiesta Attack and it kinda reminds me of ODST's Firefight and its scrounging for weapons.

Though, once I got a Needler Rifle and a Plasma Pistol I kinda lost that feeling...

97 waves to go. :/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok so I just played on the new MLG maps. Affinity and Shipwreck. Affinity is pretty similar to Warlock. Just in setup though. There's a top mid, bottom mid. Green, Red, Blue and Yellow bases. No portals, no air lifts. The bases are a bunch of bigger though and have basement sections. All the spaces for the most part are larger. We playing King of the Hill on it.

Shipwreck, is a Midship remake. It's obviously not perfect but it plays pretty good. The bases don't have lifts and their shapes are kind of weird. Not all of the jumps are intact. P2 is a little large, P3 is dominant. The map feels smaller though because of the DMR. Car side was pretty big and open. I did have fun playing on it though but I think it needs some serious polishing.

Zealot has some weapon changes. Pro pipe is out. Sniper moved from Gold to top main ramp. Which I really like. Gold and landing setup is a real powerhouse and sniper being across the map balances it out. There's also an overshield. I'm not sure of the properties though.

MrBig

So anyone know if rooster teeth is going to do anything with reach? It kind of got a little washed out at the end of it's life in H3 but it was still the only machinima I found worth watching.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
So anyone know if rooster teeth is going to do anything with reach? It kind of got a little washed out at the end of it's life in H3 but it was still the only machinima I found worth watching.
They are apparently working on a new season of RvB but to be honest I want them to focus on their live action stuff. I would LOVE to see a live action webseires from them in the same vein as The Wingmen (which they hired 2 people from)

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
They are apparently working on a new season of RvB but to be honest I want them to focus on their live action stuff. I would LOVE to see a live action webseires from them in the same vein as The Wingmen (which they hired 2 people from)
Yep, I was just watching some of those new episodes and they were actually really funny, that's what made me post this

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Yep, I was just watching some of those new episodes and they were actually really funny, that's what made me post this
You should probably watch The Wingmen then. They hired 2 people from it, which again makes me think they will be doing a real live action webseires that follows a plot point.

Top Bottom