• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB said:
The Arena updates seem like a good way to boost the player base. It effectively concedes the hardcore space to MLG and then concentrates players into a single playlist. That's probably for the best. As is making player skill based on team play, and opening up the load outs a bit. Seems like it will be nestling in between Team Slayer and MLG, which might still be too small of a space to thread. Wouldn't Slayer Pro just pull from that pool?

I hope the rankings are more transparent about what they mean. Say I'm Bronze, top 50%. What does that mean? How many people in my division are above me that I need to surpass to get into Silver? How many people are ranked in The Arena all total? More clarity around what the ranks mean would help, I think. Someone said earlier that Assassin's Creed had a similar system and it gave that kind of information and I think it would help. Personally, it would make the ranking a lot less nebulous.

I want to be playing Firefight, dammit. Better be crap Challenges tomorrow, since I'm not back home until Sunday night. :p

The Assassins Creed system is really good, you earn points in your matches for kills/ assists etc and so your score at the end of the match translates directly to your rating. The game adds up your 3 best ratings and compares you to everyone else to give you a standing. That system wouldn't work as well on Halo, but on Assassins Creed, because they can simply translate your score directly into your rating, it makes perfect sense.

They also have a different way of handling the season thing. Instead of having seasons, every month they times your score by 0.75 (im not 100% sure on the specifics here), so if you don't play the next month you still have a standing, albeit a lower one than last month. If you want to stay at the top you have to play, its actually still a little annoying but you wont just flat out get reset and within 3 games you can have a high score again.

I really hope the new Reach Arena handles the ranking system in a better way. I guess we have to wait for specifics, but it will be interesting to see how they handle the ladder system that comes from wins/loss to the 5 tier system they have. Personally I dont see it translating well. It may be too hard to tell what you need to do to rank up into the next tier if all you can see if that your Gold with no indication of where in Gold you are. What happens if you stop playing? People who have a better win/loss ratio than you will bump you down to silver? Thats one aspect that put me off the original Arena, not only do I have to earn my tier, but there's no way of knowing when someone else is going to grind it out and knock me down, it almost seems like a Ebay auction lol, the guys who go in late get the best results.

I also don't think 3 month seasons will be very good, what about the players who would take longer to improve? in 3 months they might reach Silver, but in 4 they might reach Gold, instead they will get reset every 3 months and have to spend 3 months clawing theyre way back up to Silver.

Ill wait till more specifics are out on bungie.net before judging it.

I've been trying to reach the location of Reach's final cutscene (the one where you see Six' helmet lying in the grass) for a while now, in the same way I reached the location of Exodus' opening cutscene. Problem is, when I reach the pancam coordinates, nothing's there. Either I'm missing it, or it's simply not part of "Lone Wolf" as a level... Even though it does carry over into the saved film, and loads seamlessly.

Very strange.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
I want to play it, right now. (Purchased it last week) But without controller, no. no. I hope my friend will bring my wired controller back.
If you have a dollar store near you they sell cheap ones for like $10

Kuroyume

Banned
Don't understand why in Invasion/Bro Slayer it will show a timer counting down for respawn and yet when it reaches zero and you're in a safe area it still takes like an extra few seconds to respawn you.

GhaleonEB

Two additional tidbits on the refresh to The Arena from NoF in the Optimatch forum:

One more upcoming change which was not announced is that we will show everyone their percentile and update it on a daily basis so you can track your progression. You'll be able to see it in the service record in-game or here on your stats page.

Top 10% of Onyx will continue to display in 1% increments, while everything below 10% as well as all Divisions below Onyx will display in 5% increments.​

On the distribution of players across the ranks:

Current: 5/10/10/25/50

Updated: 5/20/25/25/25​

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
nah, nah. I've a wired controller, but a friend borrowed it from me. He said, that he will give it back today.
Awesome we should play together today then. Anyone else on GAF up for some Halo 2?

And my last controller has just passed into history. This leaves me with an ODST controller that has an unresponsive left stick, a white controller that has a busted audio port (when it's active, I can't even use Kinect for chat, for some reason) and a white controller that refuses to turn on. I pre-ordered the silver 'updated' controller, but it doesn't come out until early March. Looks like I'll be playing without a headset for a while.

Yessss

8mh1U.png

Weekly+Slot Machine = Massive Bar Sliding.

zumphry

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
And my last controller has just passed into history. This leaves me with an ODST controller that has an unresponsive left stick, a white controller that has a busted audio port (when it's active, I can't even use Kinect for chat, for some reason) and a white controller that refuses to turn on. I pre-ordered the silver 'updated' controller, but it doesn't come out until early March. Looks like I'll be playing without a headset for a while.

If you don't already have one, the Plug and Charge kit should take care of that.

I'm using one for my current controller since it reads any battery pack wrong.

ZayneH said:
If you don't already have one, the Plug and Charge kit should take care of that.

I'm using one for my current controller since it reads any battery pack wrong.
I have one. I took out the battery pack, plugged it into the controller, but it still refuses to turn on. I think it just died, sadly.

After a second try, it looks like the cable is busted, too. Either that, or it's the status light that refuses to work. I think I've been cursed or something: I've had 3 controllers and one cable die on me in the last two months.

Yea but H2Vista lets you type too so its really easy to set stuff up...not so much to callout but still. I'll have to swing by my parents place later today to grab it so I can reinstall.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
He even got a few thousand cR in the Slot Machine!
Pixels. I refuse to believe jackpots like that exist. I went three months with tons of games and no quits or lag outs and got zilch. Finally quit out of one FF game a few days ago where I had 2 second input lag to make sure I didn't drain lives from my team mates, and one Score Attack game where I had to leave the house unexpectedly. The tease of some phantom jackpot to prevent quitters is all that's at play.

Few things have been as obnoxious as the continued promise of giant cR jackpots as I racked up hundreds of games in a row with no quits and no jackpot.

So because my internet connection was crappy for a bit, and I tried to play games, I lagged out of a lot of them. The next day, I boot up Reach and it says "quit one more game and you'll be on a ten minute probation," you know the story. Well, for every time I boot up Reach, I get the message again and again and again, despite it being several days after I quit my last game. How long is this message going to appear?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Pixels. I refuse to believe jackpots like that exist. I went three months with tons of games and no quits or lag outs and got zilch. Finally quit out of one FF game a few days ago where I had 2 second input lag to make sure I didn't drain lives from my team mates, and one Score Attack game where I had to leave the house unexpectedly. The tease of some phantom jackpot to prevent quitters is all that's at play.

Few things have been as obnoxious as the continued promise of giant cR jackpots as I racked up hundreds of games in a row with no quits and no jackpot.

I usually get one or two 1000, 2000, or 3000 jackpots per week and not forgetting the big 7777 I got once in a game after I quit the previous one. I also quit out of matches here in there occasionally, not often enough to cause the system to give me a warning though!

Quit more!

MrBig

Dax01 said:
So because my internet connection was crappy for a bit, and I tried to play games, I lagged out of a lot of them. The next day, I boot up Reach and it says "quit one more game and you'll be on a ten minute probation," you know the story. Well, for every time I boot up Reach, I get the message again and again and again, despite it being several days after I quit my last game. How long is this message going to appear?
The one time I got it it lasted about a week. not sure exactly. I stopped playing for a while after that happened.

Gui_PT said:
Sorry about that last match Juices.

Still way better than playing with randoms

Yea no KJ and JJ are really good SWAT players from H3 and I assume hes running with others that are good players, AND my wireless mic has been dieing after like 2 minutes of use after a night of charging, so stupid. Plus my internet is shit recently, I don't know why I'm constantly surrounded by technology that sucks ass even though I always pay the premium for those types of things.

GhaleonEB said:

lol

This is the first 8k cred jackpot I have ever had... I did get a 6k credit jackpot two games in a row though, that was nice...

neoism

Dax01 said:
I have yet to see that message at all... :3 I've only quit about 10 games or less though....

wwm0nkey

Played a match of H2V on a controller, even though its still a bit blocky...my god it is soooo much better than the KB+M support for that game.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:

Hey now you know how I felt when I first got the game. :lol

A sticky stuck to a plasma launcher round which slowly twirled in outer space to explode near the guy who killed me to get me explosive ordnance. Sweet. :p

wwm0nkey I want to join you on Halo 2 Vista but right now I need to sort a few things out. I have wireless net to my PC/ No wired controller... so ill wait till I get that sorted before I install it, laggy Halo 2 with keyboard probably wouldnt be much fun.

wwm0nkey

bobs99 ... said:
A sticky stuck to a plasma launcher round which slowly twirled in outer space to explode near the guy who killed me to get me explosive ordnance. Sweet. :p

wwm0nkey I want to join you on Halo 2 Vista but right now I need to sort a few things out. I have wireless net to my PC/ No wired controller... so ill wait till I get that sorted before I install it, laggy Halo 2 with keyboard probably wouldnt be much fun.
Yeah that probably will suck lol

ZayneH said:
Hey, we need about 2-4 people for ForgeGAF customs since we're getting into the bigger maps soon so if you want to join just message me (ZayneHumphrey).
I wanna join but it'll make the teams uneven. D:

wwm0nkey

Blueblur1 said:
Ohhh man. This got me watching a ton of Halo 2 V vids. I totally want to play it right now.
I just can't wait till they get the rank servers going. Might get a few people to play more.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
In the words of Denis Dyack, the wisest man to ever grace NeoGAF, put up or shut up.
Is that bannable these days? Lol

Dax, gimme a week of Firefight practice and I'll dominate every score you have. And you know it!! But I play MLG, not Firefight. You're in luck.

neoism

good games bros..... Zanye...plywood(AKA) Tsquared:p ... Barrel Roll... <3

I'll probably play sum more later night...

Top Bottom