• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

I think that Bungie might have held back not only due to time constraints (anyone else remember how we got nearly twice as many promises during development back in Halo 2 and about half of them came true?) and wanting to not totally outclass 343 in terms of gameplay. I personally think it was a smart move; while the campaign could have been better, if they really made it that good, we'd all be complaining that "343 IS GOING TO RUIN THE FRANCHISE I AM QUITTING AFTER REACH UGH" and whatnot.

Not only that, while a lot of the dull surprises and expectations were admittedly disappointing, it's still a great campaign, and several of the cutbacks were justified. For example, cutting the New Alexandria Scarab run was apparently due to driving a Scarab taking up way too many resources in order for it to be worth it. Now, how do they compromise? Give us a Falcon mission that lets us fight four Hunters at once. In a nightclub. So it's not all that bad, really.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
oh my god.

Laughed really hard. I didn't even know it was Ron Livingston.
Its super bizarre, right? I understand the Firefly guys in 3 and ODST, but he just seems like such a weird cameo for some reason.

Zee-V70 said:
Office Building = A
Office of Naval Intelligence = B
Office = Office
A = B
?_?
Brilliant.

Havok said:
Its super bizarre, right? I understand the Firefly guys in 3 and ODST, but he just seems like such a weird cameo for some reason.
Office Building = A
Office of Naval Intelligence = B
Office = Office
A = B
?_?

Flipyap

GhaleonEB said:
I never had any sense of the stakes in the game, why it mattered in the big picture that Reach was important. Even an ODST-style crawl would have helped contextualize the events a bit more.
I wonder if just playing Reach can give more casual players any idea of what happens to the planet in the end, or what glassing even means (that is, if they're able to catch those references). And even if you're familiar with the term, what the Covenant do to that planet in the game doesn't look any worse than what you see in ODST.
It seems like the background of a multiplayer map (one not even made by Bungie) will do a better job of explaining this. That's a tiny bit silly.

theAntagonist said:
Yeah I totally agree. From the pre-release interviews, previews, and information, Bungie was saying that they were trying to go back to making the Covenant more 'alien' and terrifying.
But they made them speak gibberish! Isn't that, like, totally terrifying? I know I keep having nightmares about foreign languages!
At the same time they also made Grunts look cuter than ever, so I really don't understand what they were trying to do.

O D I N said:
IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEY!!!!

Where yo curly mustache!!!???

Winner!

cookie_law_eu.gif

Tashi0106 said:
Welcome!

AR or BR?

Highest level in Halo 3 and what playlist?

Favorite Halo 2 map?

Favorite Halo series map?

I guess I should answer these too....

1. Already answered, but BR.

2. 43-ish, Team Doubles with aforementioned "Halo Friend."

3. By a long, LONG, shot, that would have to be Terminal. Then Lockout.

4. Hang Em' High!

Flipyap said:
I wonder if just playing Reach can give more casual players any idea of what happens to the planet in the end, or what glassing even means (that is, if they're able to catch those references). And even if you're familiar with the term, what the Covenant do to that planet in the game doesn't look any worse than what you see in ODST.
It seems like the background of a multiplayer map (one not even made by Bungie) will do a better job of explaining this. That's a tiny bit silly.

But they made them speak gibberish! Isn't that, like, totally terrifying? I know I keep having nightmares about foreign languages!
At the same time they also made Grunts look cuter than ever, so I really don't understand what they were trying to do.
I personally think that while alien languages upped the scary factor for Elites and Brutes a bit, it didn't do much for the Grunts. Their inflections and constant use of -z and -u sounds makes it sound like they're speaking some weird Japanese/French pidgin language.. Not to mention the whole "shoot methane tank for instant jetpack" thing.

Karl2177

Zee-V70 said:
I think that Bungie might have held back not only due to time constraints (anyone else remember how we got nearly twice as many promises during development back in Halo 2 and about half of them came true?) and wanting to not totally outclass 343 in terms of gameplay. I personally think it was a smart move; while the campaign could have been better, if they really made it that good, we'd all be complaining that "343 IS GOING TO RUIN THE FRANCHISE I AM QUITTING AFTER REACH UGH" and whatnot.
I disagree with this whole heartedly. If this was the case, then why did ODST feel the same way? I personally think it's just Bungie coming up with a decent idea, and failing to execute. The idea of a lone stealthy soldier in a dark city is cool, but we got that with enemy AI that know where you are at all times. The idea of AL is neat, a quick burst to save you from an explosion. Instead we got a 10 second long, life/shield recharging, 360 degree view, EMP, stun machine of doom.

Karl2177 said:
I disagree with this whole heartedly. If this was the case, then why did ODST feel the same way? I personally think it's just Bungie coming up with a decent idea, and failing to execute. The idea of AL is neat, a quick burst to save you from an explosion. The idea of a lone stealthy soldier in a dark city is cool, but we got that with enemy AI that know where you are at all times. Instead we got a 10 second long, life/shield recharging, 360 degree view, EMP, stun machine of doom.

How AL ever went from the design idea of giving a player a very brief burst of invincibility to survive an explosion to the absolutely game shattering monster than it is now is beyond my comprehension. I just don't get how game designers look at that and not see how awful it is.

feel

Havok said:
Are you kidding me?? I had no idea that was him!! I always thought those radio chatter lines on Winter Contingency were by some fan who won a prize, maybe some MLG pro or something like that... they're so awfully delivered.

Steelyuhas said:
How AL ever went from the design idea of giving a player a very brief burst of invincibility to survive an explosion to the absolutely game shattering monster than it is now is beyond my comprehension. I just don't get how game designers look at that and not see how awful it is.

I'll go with the fact that Bungie barely plays their own game. Its been apparent since at least H3 when you look at anyone of their gamertags they all have maybe 200-300 games played when anyone from HaloGAF has 1000 or more. They get a sense of entitlement because they made the game that they know whats right for it, when really they don't. I'll go with that, yea.

That was absolutely crazy. But oh so much fun.
Zee-V70 said:

Not only that, while a lot of the dull surprises and expectations were admittedly disappointing, it's still a great campaign, and several of the cutbacks were justified. For example, cutting the New Alexandria Scarab run was apparently due to driving a Scarab taking up way too many resources in order for it to be worth it. Now, how do they compromise? Give us a Falcon mission that lets us fight four Hunters at once. In a nightclub. So it's not all that bad, really.
Uh, what? Considering that I think Reach is the best Halo campaign, I don't think Bungie "held back" for any reason. If anything, they went overboard with how much they included in the overall game, and it shows. And speaking of how the campaign can be better...you can say that about every game out there.

No offense, but the notion that Bungie held back on Reach to not show up 343 sounds pretty stupid to me.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
That was absolutely crazy. But oh so much fun.
Indeed. The stealthy sprint through Nightfall will be a down beat from there, but Tip of the Spear....oh my. I'm looking forward to it.

Having the HUD is the way to go. I can't even imagine what that would have been if we didn't have that. This was both as fun and as brutal as I hoped it would be.

Currently fast forwarding to that moment. You know. :lol

Lazslo

Dani said:
Awesome reminder of all the fun I missed out on with Halo 2. =\
Dani you never played Halo 2?!? That's nuts man, you really missed out on an amazing game battlebro. Halo 2 had the best maps and the best Battle Rifle and the best rules/gameplay. Crazy Flag Juggling and ridiculous sudden death times made Assault games super suspenseful (or annoying). Shit man, if someone is recreating the Halo 1 Campaign they should include Halo 2 Multiplayer with it.

PNut

Banned
Yup, another new HaloGAFer here. Been lurking for over a year now and have been checking in almost daily since then... so, I know a lot about you guys/gals. I gravitate more towards the competitive aspects of Halo. Really enjoy the Arena and can't wait for "The Arena". I watch Tashi's streams from time to time and challenged him to a 1v1.....he never accepted. :)

But, I also enjoy the casual gametypes that Halo as to offer. For instance, Rocket Race and Race. It saddens me that both have been completely removed from Reach MM. For all the changes that went into Rocket Race and the new addition of the Race gametype you'd think Bungie would be willing to give each their fair shot as a playlist. I just don't understand. Crazy people doing crazy things on Mongooses Halo 3 style. /shameless plug

Well anyway....

BR or AR?- AR beatdown. jk BR

H3 highest skill- TD's 50/TS 47/Snipers 41

Fav Halo 2 map- Midship

All-time map? The Pit

Edit- Oh yeah, Armor Lock. Don't have a problem with it. Never use it and have no problem killing people that do. I'd rather fight Armor Lockers any day than someone that's good with Jetpack or Evade.

Karl2177 said:
Aside from the SMG starts on Coag...

Easily some of the worst Halo related experiences ever for me. Nothing like spawning in the middle of nowhere with nothing but an SMG and a prayer with no BR in sight while your opponents have the majority of the map on lock down with snipers that would never respawn unless they chose to drop them. Oh and of course why would they when they had access to virtually unlimited sniper ammo located right in front of the bases. Good times.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
PNut said:
\ I watch Tashi's streams from time to time and challenged him to a 1v1.....he never accepted. :)

Lol for real? What did I say?

I probably said, "I don't like 1v1's, I'd rather run 4's in MLG" was it something like that? LOL

lordhalyn

Neo Member
Karl2177 said:
I disagree with this whole heartedly. If this was the case, then why did ODST feel the same way? I personally think it's just Bungie coming up with a decent idea, and failing to execute. The idea of a lone stealthy soldier in a dark city is cool, but we got that with enemy AI that know where you are at all times. The idea of AL is neat, a quick burst to save you from an explosion. Instead we got a 10 second long, life/shield recharging, 360 degree view, EMP, stun machine of doom.

Well, you have to approach Armor Lock a certain way. You can spot out who uses it, they usually launch nades and go for AL... I don't think its broken most people just wait for it to run out and just demolish the person. The EMP is just so people wont stick around and wait for the person to come out of AL and smash them, whats the point of AL if not for protection?

I think Reach's armor abilities are very well balanced but definitively annoying sometimes.

Oh by the way I too am a new member, I've been playing Halo since it came out, went through the Halo 1 LAN parties and endless nachos. Halo 2's ridiculously awesome multiplayer on XB Connect (because I was too cheap to pay for LIVE) and Halo 3's nostalgic end =( Combined with the great multiplayer (Extermination made me feel so good) and ODST's nice mix into it (not very lasting but nice) and finally Reach! What a great way to end it! I have grown up with this franchise and appreciate it very much.

Favorite Halo? Halo 3 (Totally EPIC ending)

BR AR or DMR? DMR has BR qualities but more skill

Favorite combo? Sprint, Shotgun, Sniper ;)

PNut

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Lol for real? What did I say?

You never replied. :( Kinda glad you didn't. BTW, do you know anything about UoR Ghostayame? He's going to coach a lesson for a group I'm in this week. Looking forward to it. He's going to go over MLG Countdown and the different gametypes. Openings, straits, setups..... I wonder how he stacks up against other pros in H2/H3 because I've never heard of him?

Tashi

PNut said:
You never replied. :( Kinda glad you didn't. BTW, do you know anything about UoR Ghostayame? He's going to coach a lesson for a group I'm in this week. Looking forward to it. He's going to go over MLG Countdown and the different gametypes. Openings, straits, setups..... I wonder how he stacks up against other pros in H2/H3 because I've never heard of him?

Wow for real? Ghostayame is a top pro. Very very skilled and knowledgeable player. From the times I've played with him in matchmaking, he's much nicer than a lot of other pros out there too. Soak up what he has to say.

Streeeam

Neo Member
Tashi0106 said:
Wow for real? Ghostayame is a top pro. Very very skilled and knowledgeable player. From the times I've played with him in matchmaking, he's much nicer than a lot of other pros out there too. Soak up what he has to say.

Very true. I've played with Ghostayame before and he is a true inspiration.

PNut

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

That's kinda what I thought too. Looking at his File Share exploits, betting random kids 50-0, it looks like he's for real. Should be an interesting session nonetheless being that I've never had a chance to play with or against a pro.

Tashi

Streeeam said:
Very true. I've played with Ghostayame before and he is a true inspiration.

Whats your story? You new here too huh?

Welcome!

AR or BR?

Highest rank in Halo 3 and which playlist?

Favorite Halo 2 map?

Favorite map in the Halo series?

Recarpo

Hey everybody, glad to finally get my golden ticket. Been playing halo for about 7 years and look forward to talking and maybe playing with all of you.

I suppose I should take the junior quiz floating around.

AR/BR? BR
Halo 3 rank? 50 in Team slayer
H2 map? Midship.
All time map? I'd say midship, but also loved warlock

I spend most of my halo time in firefight, fantastic addition to halo, but I'm always up for pretty much any playlist.

CyReN

PNut said:

Yea he's a top player and that is the real one, he won the MLG Halo 2 2006 National Championship with Carbon along with many other events. Hope he can bounce back in Reach and stay consistent.

I'm hoping to lan Reach with some friends on Friday. Haven't lanned in awhile now.

God my relationship with this game is so fucked up.

Bought it - loved it, played the shit out of it.

All of my mates got it - and returned it for Black Ops when that arrived.

I stuck with Reach for a while - but playing solo constantly is frustrating and can get boring.

Played Black Ops to death - then one of my good friends re-subbed XBL and we started playing Reach regularly - loved it again.

Due to work/uni/wife-related time constraints - we stopped for a while and didn't get back into it. I purchase Black Ops again (not sure why, or why I returned it the first time - it's pretty good but not great).

Completely ignore Reach for several weeks, my mate flies interstate for a week and after 1-2 days of Split Screening online MP in Black Ops - we decide to start on Reach. We get hooked and pretty much struggle to find time between Reach and MVC3.

He flies back to his state - and now I really want to stay playing Reach but am likely to put it down again relatively soon.

Though this time, it's really helping that I have expanded my gametypes considerably. I would only play TDM, Rumble Pit (very few times - unrecorded on my stats for some reason) and some SWAT (I think it was when it was part of TDM playlist). Now I am playing Invasion and Big Team Battle regularly, am enjoying Multi-team (Oddball and Rocket Hog are awesome), and have even dabbled in Grifball. To top it all off, another friend of mine who has had Reach since launch (who I would comfortably call a shitty player) is regularly split-screening with me in all non-slayer gametypes (Firefight, Rocket Hog, Grifball and Objective BTB). He can't shoot for shit, but can pull off a melee and drive/fire-turrets reasonably well.

Fucking excellent game, now if they would just tone down some of the grenade spam and armour lock abuse in TDM I would put the points in my account for Defiant right now.

Flipyap said:
I doubt it. A friend of mine (who has little to no knowledge of the Halo story) didn't understand what 'glassing' was, and better yet, thought Reach took place hundreds of years before Halo CE.

PNut said:
Yup, another new HaloGAFer here. Been lurking for over a year now and have been checking in almost daily since then... so, I know a lot about you guys/gals.
Lol. Coupled with your avatar, that sounds so creepy.

I'm gonna have so much trouble remembering all the junior's names, goddamn.

Stripper13 said:
God my relationship with this game is so fucked up.

Bought it - loved it, played the shit out of it.

All of my mates got it - and returned it for Black Ops when that arrived.

I stuck with Reach for a while - but playing solo constantly is frustrating and can get boring.

Played Black Ops to death - then one of my good friends re-subbed XBL and we started playing Reach regularly - loved it again.

Due to work/uni/wife-related time constraints - we stopped for a while and didn't get back into it. I purchase Black Ops again (not sure why, or why I returned it the first time - it's pretty good but not great).

Completely ignore Reach for several weeks, my mate flies interstate for a week and after 1-2 days of Split Screening online MP in Black Ops - we decide to start on Reach. We get hooked and pretty much struggle to find time between Reach and MVC3.

He flies back to his state - and now I really want to stay playing Reach but am likely to put it down again relatively soon.

Though this time, it's really helping that I have expanded my gametypes considerably. I would only play TDM, Rumble Pit (very few times - unrecorded on my stats for some reason) and some SWAT (I think it was when it was part of TDM playlist). Now I am playing Invasion and Big Team Battle regularly, am enjoying Multi-team (Oddball and Rocket Hog are awesome), and have even dabbled in Grifball. To top it all off, another friend of mine who has had Reach since launch (who I would comfortably call a shitty player) is regularly split-screening with me in all non-slayer gametypes (Firefight, Rocket Hog, Grifball and Objective BTB). He can't shoot for shit, but can pull off a melee and drive/fire-turrets reasonably well.

Fucking excellent game, now if they would just tone down some of the grenade spam and armour lock abuse in TDM I would put the points in my account for Defiant right now.
If you want to keep playing Reach then just stick around HaloGAF, play with us. Lord knows I would have probably stopped playing already if it weren't for the fine folks here.

Barrow Roll said:
If you want to keep playing Reach then just stick around HaloGAF, play with us. Lord knows I would have probably stopped playing already if it weren't for the fine folks here.

Sounds good.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=STRPR&sg=0

There's my GamerTag/Stats if anyone wants to add me.

As for what to expect - I am Australian and tend to play regularly around about now (7pm-ish) and for the next 2 hours or so (9-10pm depending on work/wife). I am up for most gametypes, however outside of TDM which I believe I am pretty good at, I am pretty shitty at objective/fun modes. I don't know where weapons/vehicles spawn in any of the non-TDM matches (particularly Invasion maps), and struggle with CTF/Headhunter. I don't think it is because I am bad at it necessarily, it's just that of the few matches I've had in each mode - I've had some poor team mates (or dropped team mates), and am unsure on where I should be watching for spawns, drop/territory locations and overall vehicle etiquette etc.

Also, I don't tend to use my headset much. I have one, and if I am playing with close friends I use it - but I'm unlikely to use it at all if playing casually or with strangers/randoms.

Anyway, I'll bookmark the thread and keep tabs on it - see what people have to say etc. Excited to play with people who know what they are doing.

Stripper13 said:
Sounds good.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=STRPR&sg=0

There's my GamerTag/Stats if anyone wants to add me.

As for what to expect - I am Australian and tend to play regularly around about now (7pm-ish) and for the next 2 hours or so (9-10pm depending on work/wife). I am up for most gametypes, however outside of TDM which I believe I am pretty good at, I am pretty shitty at objective/fun modes. I don't know where weapons/vehicles spawn in any of the non-TDM matches (particularly Invasion maps), and struggle with CTF/Headhunter. I don't think it is because I am bad at it necessarily, it's just that of the few matches I've had in each mode - I've had some poor team mates (or dropped team mates), and am unsure on where I should be watching for spawns, drop/territory locations and overall vehicle etiquette etc.

Also, I don't tend to use my headset much. I have one, and if I am playing with close friends I use it - but I'm unlikely to use it at all if playing casually or with strangers/randoms.

Anyway, I'll bookmark the thread and keep tabs on it - see what people have to say etc. Excited to play with people who know what they are doing.
Well not using your headset might be one your problems with objective gametypes. Communication is key, more so in Halo than in CoD where going lone wolf is much easier. Personally, I prefer playing with people that use their headsets, granted they aren't obnoxious twats. You don't have to have a conversation or anything, but it does wonders for teamwork. Play enough objective games with GAFfers and you'll pick up on strategies easily enough.

Anyways, feel free to add me. My GT is the same as my username here. It's also listed in my profile if you feel so inclined to check. If you see me playing in a party feel free to join.

Same goes for the rest of the new members.

Tashi0106 said:
Ain't no pro against me. I'd sit him down and shut him up for good.

dmg04 said:
First off; Hey guys. Finally get to participate in this thread after watching for so long :)
Glad to see you here, brotha!

Has anyone attempted a SLASO for Oni? I think I may be stupid enough to try it tonight.

squidhands said:
Has anyone attempted a SLASO for Oni? I think I may be stupid enough to try it tonight.
I'd say the two most difficult parts are the beginning up until you get the target locator, and once you're at the part of the building that has Sword Base as a level. Elite Ultras are a pain to take out in these two areas. I found the plasma rifle works better than the plasma pistol for LASO.

Yeah, the Plasma Rifle is my best friend in Legendary. There's a good trick to get rid of some of the Ultras and the General once inside Sword Base, so the toughest part is going to be getting through to the Wraiths and actually stealing one.

Gui_PT

squidhands said:
Glad to see you here, brotha!

I actually got to the last encounter on my own. It's easier than it looks as long as you take it slow.

Tougher areas are the 1st one and the room immediately after the 2 hunters. Other than that you shouldn't have a problem.

Tawpgun

Oh. My. God.

So yesterday me and two friends did our LASO run. It was relatively easy up until we had to activate the AA gun. That took us FOREVER. But a few good ghost splatters and it was all good.

The rest was relatively easy up until the GODDAMN FUEL ROD GOLDEN ELITE in the blown up room with all the rockets in it. It honestly felt like being trapped by those zealots in Winter Contigency again. We just COULD not down the guy without him shooting us to hell with fuel rods

Around 90 minutes into the entire run and we're starting to get desperate and trying crazy ideas. Then, all of a sudden, my friend tries to take down one of the camo elites with the rocket. The elite, of course, dodges and the rocket hits a box. The box goes flying through the air and SPLATTERS the fuel rod guy.

We cheered so hard and then mopped up the weak as well spec ops elites. I'm going to try and get a clip today, I think I still have a render minute left.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh. My. God.

So yesterday me and two friends did our LASO run. It was relatively easy up until we had to activate the AA gun. That took us FOREVER. But a few good ghost splatters and it was all good.

The rest was relatively easy up until the GODDAMN FUEL ROD GOLDEN ELITE in the blown up room with all the rockets in it. It honestly felt like being trapped by those zealots in Winter Contigency again. We just COULD not down the guy without him shooting us to hell with fuel rods

Around 90 minutes into the entire run and we're starting to get desperate and trying crazy ideas. Then, all of a sudden, my friend tries to take down one of the camo elites with the rocket. The elite, of course, dodges and the rocket hits a box. The box goes flying through the air and SPLATTERS the fuel rod guy.

We cheered so hard and then mopped up the weak as well spec ops elites. I'm going to try and get a clip today, I think I still have a render minute left.
Holy shit, that sounds epic. Do share.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh. My. God.

Wow, that's got to be awesome to see. Hurry and put that online, that sounds amazing.

Top Bottom