• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

O D I N

Major Williams said:
And to post stale images in the junior thread.

Welcome all juniors, may we get at least a few to stay awhile and mix things up a bit.

:-/ My bad. Tried to lighten the mood of my impending doom.

Anyone up for some customs or looking to play tonight?

A friend of mine bought REACH recently and the first time we played he mentioned how shocked he was that he didn't have to download an update/patch the first time he fired up the game.

I hadn't even thought about it until he mentioned it but in this day and age that's pretty impressive especially since REACH boasts one of the most active online communities in the business. As a matter of fact it goes beyond impressive and is teetering on the edge of impossible so I was thinking maybe BUNGIE implemented a way to patch things without having to have it certified by MS.

I know very little about these sort of things so I thought I'd ask you guys. I know they can update playlists and whatnot but can BUNGIE update more significant things behind the scenes as well

MrBig

Mizzou Gaming said:
A friend of mine bought REACH recently and the first time we played he mentioned how shocked he was that he didn't have to download an update/patch the first time he fired up the game.

I hadn't even thought about it until he mentioned it but in this day and age that's pretty impressive especially since REACH boasts one of the most active online communities in the business. As a matter of fact it goes beyond impressive and is teetering on the edge of impossible so I was thinking maybe BUNGIE implemented a way to patch things without having to have it certified by MS.

I know very little about these sort of things so I thought I'd ask you guys. I know they can update playlists and whatnot but can BUNGIE update more significant things behind the scenes as well
Yep, they can change a limited range of things through their back systems. weapon properties (Concussion rifle seems to have changed), gametypes, map dependencies, etc.

O D I N said:
:-/ My bad. Tried to lighten the mood of my impending doom.

Anyone up for some customs or looking to play tonight?
No worries mate haha.

After all, you have the name of one of my cats, so you can't be that bad of a guy.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So are there other fellow junior members here, who have recently joined, around the UK/Europe? It be good to try and arrange a few games we could have some good times during the week. Normally I am going to miss the chance to play with you guys over at the Unites States due, to our time difference through out the weekday (allthough weekend will be a different matter) so it be nice to get a few people around this part of the globe that have a similar time zone that's best for us.

MrBig

ZombieFred said:
So are there other fellow junior members here, who have recently joined, around the UK/Europe? It be good to try and arrange a few games we could have some good times during the week. Normally I am going to miss the chance to play with you guys over at the Unites States due, to our time difference through out the weekday (allthough weekend will be a different matter) so it be nice to get a few people around this part of the globe that have a similar time zone that's best for us.
For gaf customs people in the UK should be looking towards Forgegaf testings. Forgegaf does their thing at around 3pm EST (-5GMT), while halogaf customs are at 8pm EST. So if you're not man enough for playing halo at 2am we've got something for you saturdays.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
MrBig said:
For gaf customs people in the UK should be looking towards Forgegaf testings. Forgegaf does their thing at around 3pm EST (-5GMT), while halogaf customs are at 8pm EST. So if you're not man enough for playing halo at 2am we've got something for you saturdays.

Thanks for the information there, MrBig :) I'll keep a mental note to myself.

MrBig said:
Yep, they can change a limited range of things through their back systems. weapon properties (Concussion rifle seems to have changed), gametypes, map dependencies, etc.

Hmm thats interesting, I never noticed the Concussion Rifle changing.

ZombieFred - Im from the UK and I think the late start of HaloGaf customs is what kind of puts me off them. If enough UK Gaf are up for it perhaps we could start customs earlier? Of course any Americans who are on early enough would be free to join, but as it stands its not the easiest time to play.

I have a love/ hate relation with Reach... after playing it non stop for the last week I have started to lose interest.
Anyone up for Halo 3? :p

O D I N

Major Williams said:
No worries mate haha.

After all, you have the name of one of my cats, so you can't be that bad of a guy.

That's an epic name for a cat. And I approve. :)

I'd like to think I'm an okay guy; very easy going who enjoys the fun of the game, not the 'being the best' of the game.

I'm from the UK, feel free to add me. :D Just let me know who you are first!

In other news, I'm playing Reach with my missus, and this is her first FPS. She's got movement down, but panics when driving or when enemies run at her. Her aiming is a little slow, but she's getting there. I just hope she doesn't get frustrated and quit in rage.

Fingers crossed!!

MrBig said:

Fairly certain they can't change weapon properties, or at least if they can they haven't changed any of that.

But yeah they can alter gametypes, maps to an extent, make new gametypes, even change the UI for certain gametypes.

I'm pretty sure they can't change weapon properties, just gametype stuff like HUD elements, rules. IE, adding Bro Spawning, changing hill order etc.

Conc Rifle seems the same to me too.

MrBig said:
ForgeGAF customs rocks for Euro people such as myself.

I also seem to have fixed my ODST controller. Now to get used to it again, at least until next week when I get one of those silver ones. Ever since it broke, I've been trying to get used to two other controllers. The result is that I now absolutely suck at shooting stuff. :(

Dax01 said:
No offense, but the notion that Bungie held back on Reach to not show up 343 sounds pretty stupid to me.
Yeah, I was kind of tired when I posted that. :lol

Also, bit of LASO shenanigans of my own:
back for the Winter Contingency one, a friend and I got through EVERYTHING but the Zealots at the end in basically half an hour or so pretty easily. And then the next hour and a half was fighting Zealots. How we won:
-Friend comes in the area driving Forkie
-I go "what, are we going to rig it up again?" (before, we'd put it in areas to blow up/unshield Elites, push Jorge out, etc.)
-He keeps on driving, so I take out the Grunts
-Sword elite runs out, and he RAMS THE GODDAMN ELITE WITH IT
-Zealot loses shields, I just barely headshot it and take the sword
-I proceed to sprint into the final room and fight both remaining Zealots at once with no shield, and somehow manage to kill both of them; keep in mind it takes six slashes or so to kill one
-Him and I begin to FSJRGASHGADSHRHFASEHRFASHHAS with joy
-Press button
-???????
-Profit!

Interestingly, it seems that while the skulls affect bullet damage and whatnot, vehicle impacts aren't--meaning that while it may take in excess of six charged Plasma Pistol shots to drain the shields of some stronger Elites, a simple ram from Forky will leave them one-shot. I actually have the film saved, but it's like two hours, so I'll have to find some time to make a clip of it.

Hey You

electricpirate said:
I'm pretty sure they can't change weapon properties, just gametype stuff like HUD elements, rules. IE, adding Bro Spawning, changing hill order etc.

Conc Rifle seems the same to me too.
We need HUD Elements for CTF. Grrr

Tawpgun

Ok, so despite it being prone to nade spamming, Countdown is one of the better default maps on reach.

I do have ONE glaring problem with it though... its not color coded at ALL. Would it have been so hard to make one side red and one blue? Or at least change SOMETHING about one side to set it apart. Because right now I still get confused on that map in terms of callouts.

demana

Neo Member
Another long-time lurker with new posting privileges...I may have set a record, as I think I submitted my initial registration request back in 2008 or 2009. When this thread originally moved to Community, I thought my Halo thread reading days were over. Glad it all worked out in the end;)

AR or BR?
BR

Highest level in Halo 3 and what playlist?
30 (Lone Wolves/Team Slayer)

I've been with Halo from the beginning, but never played multiplayer until the last days of Halo 2, and that was primarily through lan with equally unskilled friends. Always been much more interested in campaign/co-op, and I love the universe Bungie created (even if it hasn't always been explored very well in game.)

Once Halo 3 came out, I figured I'd try to learn some actual multi skills, but my gaming reflexes have long been past their prime. Spent a disturbing amount of time as a Staff Captain in H3 before finally deciding to focus on ranked for a while. After I hit 30 I accepted my limitations and was done with ranked. Much more fun in Social Slayer/BTB.

Favorite Halo 2 map?
Beaver Creek

Favorite Halo series map?
The Pit

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I was just playing with ElamiteWarrior. He was on Triggers Down with Neighbor and they both just got dropped today I believe. They were replaced by SK and Hysteria. He was talking sooooo much shit about them. Trash talking their "girlfriends" It was really funny. I have what he said on the stream and I could probably blow up his spot by posting it but I'm not gonna do that. He's a good guy.

We Won :)

So yeah, people trying to get the Just Hold On... daily challenge, do it in Score Attack unless you know you won't die at all in Firefight. I died in round 1 and apparently the subsequent rounds won't count if you do.

blamite

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/blog/the-defiant-map-pack-and-more-coming-soon-to-an-emerald-city-comicon-near-you/18662
The defiant map pack will be playable at Emerald City Comicon, plus there are some vague references to "the map" being playable as well. Could this be the previously rumored Covie-themed Forge World, or are they just referring to the already announced Defiant maps?
BS Angel said:
Be warned, you may notice some very vague references to "the map." So many, in fact, that you'll probably find yourself wondering, "What map?" That question will be answered in due time. And by due time, I mean as soon as we've made up our minds. Stay tuned!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

eeblogue

Neo Member
Hey guys, I’m another long time lurker that’s just been recently approved! I’m looking forward to becoming an active member of HaloGaf – also, being Scottish boost the EU numbers around here -and hopefully down the line being able to run some games with you all.

Seeing as I’ve been snooping around these parts for a few years I’ve come to gain a fairly good grasp on where most people stand with the ever evolving halo debates, so for my first post it only seems fair that I give you a brief insight into my Halo history and my opinions on Reach.

In short:

H2 BR
50 MLG
Midship

I’m about to hit my mid twenties, so you can understand I’ve been gaming for a while. I was a day one purchaser of the original Xbox and with it Halo CE and ever since then I’ve pretty much been hooked with the universe (halfway through Cryptum at the moment) and the games. I regularly attend local social LANs and a few competitions from time to time but nothing too serious.

After getting Xbox Live in 2006 I would say I’m more a multiplayer type of person that enjoys the more “competitive” settings, but I’ll always finish the campaign first before delving into matchmaking. My fondest memories probably lie with Halo 2 and do believe its multiplayer experience (post patch) has been the best in the series due to the really solid base player traits, the maps, melee system, Battle Rifle and dare I say it – the button glitches! So it’s probably no surprise I quickly became interested in MLG.

With the release of Halo 3 I was initially pretty disappointed, feeling the game was one step forward and one step back, but in the end I came to love/hate it and clocked thousands of games on it. I really was a little miffed why Bungie changed things that clearly weren’t broken like the melee system and was saddened that they didn’t turn the Halo 2 button glitches into actual mechanics like for instance a GOW fast reload. Even though Halo 3’s map pool was not as strong as Halo 2’s there were definitely some greats like Narrows, The Pit and Construct were some of my favourites. I usually hung out in the MLG playlist and loved the theatre mode, where after gaming straight for a few hours with friends it wasn’t uncommon to take a break; eat, hydrate and watch a few games back together. Good times.

I was extremely optimistic for Halo: Reach…maybe too optimistic. However, I was definitely pleased when I got my hands on the Beta even with all its bugs and glitches, the most visible improvement over Halo 3 for me being the net-code.

Forward onto release - the Reach campaign is easily the most consistent in quality out of all the Halos in my eyes, it’s of a decent length, well rounded with a good mix of infantry and vehicle based fighting and there is no real filler mission or act. I would also say the story telling was much better compare to previous games (not like that was hard) and I really liked the whole on the ground approach/in the action to the filming the of the cut-scenes. My only real distaste with it was the jarring frame-rate issues.

The game was never going to topple Halo CE but it at least gave it a shot.

“Did someone even play-test this!?” is my first thought when I think if Reach’s multiplayer. Maybe I’m being a little harsh. But seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if we read in a year’s time that Bungie had a few setbacks during their development which resulted in the abysmal map selection and many chopped and tweaked features, which ultimately will never see the light of day.

I had high hopes for Armour Abilities when they were first announced, I thought they would have brought a whole new depth to the game and increased they skill gap - I probably got sucked in with all the talk about people comparing Reach to Shadowrun. But, after playing with them solid now for the best part of six months I feel they do not enhance Halos game-play in any way, and as it stands how they currently work in multiplayer I would go as far as saying they are a worse edition than Halo 3’s equipment. Without going into any great detail and specifics on each of the abilities, I believe they totally slow the game down, destroy map flow and give bad players a get-out-of-jail card. Armour Abilities should have been extensions to player movement and their skill and I feel they should have been built for much more specific uses for use on specific maps.

And onto Bloom…

Spamming wasn't nearly as effective in the Beta due to guns like the DMR and Pistol having recoil attached to them, and because of the existing head-shot bug. Since Bungie fixed that bug and removed recoil from the shipping game, you would think they would have tweaked the bloom to balance/counter the effectiveness of spamming. Bungie's original plan after all was to make it so that the DMR would be harder to use at close range, which makes sense and goes with their statement "defining weapons by range". What actually happened with current bloom system is the DMR becomes more effective at close range but for all the wrong reasons.

Bungie has always been about giving us options to play our desired Halo, but I would say it was a complete oversight not giving us greater options with Armour Abilities, Bloom and stuff like tweaking individual weapon damage considering how many people would benefit from these options. The Firefight fans got a wealth of upgraded options over ODST, why didn’t the traditional multiplayer side of things get the same treatment.

It’s not all doom and gloom, really! Reach has given me Active Roster, Firefight and Forge World even with all its negatives, people are beginning to work round it and create some extremely unique competitive maps which is great for us avid MLG followers. I’m hoping for a Covenant themed Forge pallet in the future that isn’t as straight up and down as the Forerunner themed pieces we’ve got at the moment. I was a little disappointed with the lack of forge-able items on the premade maps but Bungie have made a few keepers like Countdown, Zealot and Tempest.

In summary, I do think Reach is an exceedingly good game – you don’t get to a General rank by not enjoying playing it - I’m critical because I care and feel that if the game just got a few of its humps ironed out it would be better for everyone.

Welcome everyone.

Man that Warlock video made me want that in MM. It would be so great in MLG - CTF 5 flag, KoTH, Oddball, and Slayer. It would be good in Team Slayer, Team Objective, and a bit of Multi-Team slayer and hill.

I'd really like a Nostalgia Map Playlist though. With H1/H2/H3 maps that work for 4v4. Half Slayer Half Objective.

Gui_PT

Barrow Roll said:
I concur. And get on Reach foo.

Eh, it's past midnight already =\ And it's cape day tomorrow so I'll probably have to get up early.

I can get on tomorrow at this hour, maybe. <3

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I'd REALLY enjoy it if they added some 4 flag CTF to Multi-Team.

Just finished making a map that's Multi-Team Centric. 8v8 works pretty well on it as well.

I need to sink my teeth into some forge-gaf maps. In a few Forge groups on B.net. Can't get enough of it :)

zumphry

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
ForgeGAF customs rocks for Euro people such as myself.

...but be prepared for "build-a-block" maps only because that's what ForgeGAF tests.

and horrible hosting because the guy who does it is a total douche from what I've heard

MrBig

ZayneH said:
...but be prepared for "build-a-block" maps only because that's what ForgeGAF tests.

and horrible hosting because the guy who does it is a total douche from what I've heard
ya mang

wwm0nkey

Im going to say this right now, the 'classic playlist' will probably disappoint in the long run.

All games have different game logic and even just by adjusting the settings a bit it wont make the game logic the same as Halo 1 or 2 . Different game logic is also the reason Hemorrhage sucks on Reach.

Gui_PT said:
Eh, it's past midnight already =\ And it's cape day tomorrow so I'll probably have to get up early.

I can get on tomorrow at this hour, maybe. <3
Bah, I probably won't be online at this hour tomorrow. You gonna be on at your usual time? You know, 3am over here?

wwm0nkey said:
Im going to say this right now, the 'classic playlist' will probably disappoint in the long run.

All games have different game logic and even just by adjusting the settings a bit it wont make the game logic the same as Halo 1 or 2 . Different game logic is also the reason Hemorrhage sucks on Reach.
I suggested this during customs yesterday but I think I was drowned out by the laughter from that Warthog game. Next customs lets just try out the rumored "Classic" settings with some ForgeWorld remakes. Like good ones (lol).

eeblogue said:
Hey guys, I’m another long time lurker that’s just been recently approved! I’m looking forward to becoming an active member of HaloGaf – also, being Scottish boost the EU numbers around here -and hopefully down the line being able to run some games with you all.

Seeing as I’ve been snooping around these parts for a few years I’ve come to gain a fairly good grasp on where most people stand with the ever evolving halo debates, so for my first post it only seems fair that I give you a brief insight into my Halo history and my opinions on Reach.

In short:

H2 BR
50 MLG
Midship

I’m about to hit my mid twenties, so you can understand I’ve been gaming for a while. I was a day one purchaser of the original Xbox and with it Halo CE and ever since then I’ve pretty much been hooked with the universe (halfway through Cryptum at the moment) and the games. I regularly attend local social LANs and a few competitions from time to time but nothing too serious.

After getting Xbox Live in 2006 I would say I’m more a multiplayer type of person that enjoys the more “competitive” settings, but I’ll always finish the campaign first before delving into matchmaking. My fondest memories probably lie with Halo 2 and do believe its multiplayer experience (post patch) has been the best in the series due to the really solid base player traits, the maps, melee system, Battle Rifle and dare I say it – the button glitches! So it’s probably no surprise I quickly became interested in MLG.

With the release of Halo 3 I was initially pretty disappointed, feeling the game was one step forward and one step back, but in the end I came to love/hate it and clocked thousands of games on it. I really was a little miffed why Bungie changed things that clearly weren’t broken like the melee system and was saddened that they didn’t turn the Halo 2 button glitches into actual mechanics like for instance a GOW fast reload. Even though Halo 3’s map pool was not as strong as Halo 2’s there were definitely some greats like Narrows, The Pit and Construct were some of my favourites. I usually hung out in the MLG playlist and loved the theatre mode, where after gaming straight for a few hours with friends it wasn’t uncommon to take a break; eat, hydrate and watch a few games back together. Good times.

I was extremely optimistic for Halo: Reach…maybe too optimistic. However, I was definitely pleased when I got my hands on the Beta even with all its bugs and glitches, the most visible improvement over Halo 3 for me being the net-code.

Forward onto release - the Reach campaign is easily the most consistent in quality out of all the Halos in my eyes, it’s of a decent length, well rounded with a good mix of infantry and vehicle based fighting and there is no real filler mission or act. I would also say the story telling was much better compare to previous games (not like that was hard) and I really liked the whole on the ground approach/in the action to the filming the of the cut-scenes. My only real distaste with it was the jarring frame-rate issues.

“Did someone even play-test this!?” is my first thought when I think if Reach’s multiplayer. Maybe I’m being a little harsh. But seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if we read in a year’s time that Bungie had a few setbacks during their development which resulted in the abysmal map selection and many chopped and tweaked features, which ultimately will never see the light of day.

I had high hopes for Armour Abilities when they were first announced, I thought they would have brought a whole new depth to the game and increased they skill gap - I probably got sucked in with all the talk about people comparing Reach to Shadowrun. But, after playing with them solid now for the best part of six months I feel they do not enhance Halos game-play in any way, and as it stands how they currently work in multiplayer I would go as far as saying they are a worse edition than Halo 3’s equipment. Without going into any great detail and specifics on each of the abilities, I believe they totally slow the game down, destroy map flow and give bad players a get-out-of-jail card. Armour Abilities should have been extensions to player movement and their skill and I feel they should have been built for much more specific uses for use on specific maps.

And onto Bloom…

Spamming wasn't nearly as effective in the Beta due to guns like the DMR and Pistol having recoil attached to them, and because of the existing head-shot bug. Since Bungie fixed that bug and removed recoil from the shipping game, you would think they would have tweaked the bloom to balance/counter the effectiveness of spamming. Bungie's original plan after all was to make it so that the DMR would be harder to use at close range, which makes sense and goes with their statement "defining weapons by range". What actually happened with current bloom system is the DMR becomes more effective at close range but for all the wrong reasons.

Bungie has always been about giving us options to play our desired Halo, but I would say it was a complete oversight not giving us greater options with Armour Abilities, Bloom and stuff like tweaking individual weapon damage considering how many people would benefit from these options. The Firefight fans got a wealth of upgraded options over ODST, why didn’t the traditional multiplayer side of things get the same treatment.

It’s not all doom and gloom, really! Reach has given me Active Roster, Firefight and Forge World even with all its negatives, people are beginning to work round it and create some extremely unique competitive maps which is great for us avid MLG followers. I’m hoping for a Covenant themed Forge pallet in the future that isn’t as straight up and down as the Forerunner themed pieces we’ve got at the moment. I was a little disappointed with the lack of forge-able items on the premade maps but Bungie have made a few keepers like Countdown, Zealot and Tempest.

In summary, I do think Reach is an exceedingly good game – you don’t get to a General rank by not enjoying playing it - I’m critical because I care and feel that if the game just got a few of its humps ironed out it would be better for everyone.

Welcome! I agree with a lot of your analysis. If armour abilities were less situational and more 'extensions to player movement' they could have been a lot better. I personally go through periods of loving Reach and then getting extremely frustrated with it and not playing until matchmaking changes. Usually I get hooked again after those, fortunatly they happen on a regular basis!

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:
Go play an 8v8 classic flag on hemorrhage. It's great.
You know what, I just might.

Still though game logic will ruin the 'classic playlist' when it hits in March. I still think it will be fun but still no match for Halo 1 or 2 (what ever one the playlist is based off of)

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
Compared to Halo 1 and 2....yeah no.
I find it an enjoyable map. Harder to do more things throughout due to the range of the DMR.

The classic settings will be intriguing and if N0F enlists new maps and ideas. We only know so far that he wants 120% base speed.

We may not have any new maps in Ninja's vision - maybe just default maps with default weapon placements. :\

I see your thoughts, though - nothing will be a perfect match to 1 and 2's smooth gameplay. But this is the closest thing we'll have to a faster base speed that 1/2 had, and no equipment/AA's slowing down any movement or scenarios.

eeblogue said:
*cringes*
Au contraire!

Top Bottom